Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spirits, Ghosts and the Undead (Read 3449 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Spirits, Ghosts and the Undead
May 28th, 2010 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
The Vacuous Grimorie was recovered by the Spartan and the Oni from Hildebrant's library. It is a musty tome written orginally in Latin and later translated into French.  It was orginally thought to have been dictated to monks in the order of St. Donar by an unknown Saracen.
  This book is written in tanned human flesh.  It is a collection of spells as well as a treatis on Necromancy.   It contains spells for summoning as well as containing, spirits.   The last four chapters, found only in the French versions, are explainations of the various spirits and undead.

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2010 at 4:00pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Spirits, Ghosts and the Undead
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2010 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
It has a hierarchy of Dead. The lowest to the highest.  The highest being the more dangerous.

The lowest on the list is  the Inferi.  An inferi is more commonly known as a zombie.  A zombie is a soulless corpse animated, not by a spirit, but by necromancy.  An inferi has no mind of its own, and obeys the simple instructions of its master.   A master less zombie will just wander, satisfying its simple desire to feed.   Nothing short of destroying the brain can kill them.  So fire and beheading are the best was to stop this walking dead.

Spirits are souls without bodies.   There are many types of spirits.   They can be the disembodied souls of living humans.  They can be mindless, wandering phantoms of beings that never had a material body.   They can be  demonic beings from beyond creation.   The word spirit is a catch all phrase to describe  the things that lurk in the places beyond the Material World.

The next is a Mane.  A mane is a spirit of the recently dead.  They are confused and harmless.  They  are simply  spirits on the way to their eternal reward.  They can be helpful or bitter, as they mostly retain their personalities of when they were alive.   Manes can still be resurrected, as they have not become accustomed to being a spirit.  They can wander the earth, or follow the light to Elysium. 

Poltergeists are mindless spirits that are attracted to certain souls. They hover around their adopted soul and  without meaning to, cause trouble.  Any experienced Exorcist can dismiss a poltergeist. 

Animas are spirits with an affinity for some form of matter or energy.  Theses are the spirits that many believe, correctly, to inhabit trees, rocks, mountains, rivers, what have you.  When a wizard creates an Elemental, what they really are doing is binding an anima to matter ( or energy in the case of a Fire Elemental).

A ghost is a poor mane that is bound to an area.   The ghost can not move on for what ever reason and is locked, repeating an action over and over again until it becomes free.   Most ghosts are harmless and will be thankful to whomever frees them.   

Demons are spirits from beyond Creation, beyons God.  They can not enter our worlds without God's permission.  And since any intelligent being is made in the image of god and their for holds a spark of divinity,  any human can invite a demon to our world.   Most demons need a material body to interact with our world.   Recently dead can be possessed for a short while, as well as an unprotected body of a human astral projecting.   Some demons even teach evil humans how to build them bodies.  These bodies can be nearly human looking or hideously monstrous.

Succubae or Incubi are spirits from the Abyss, the realms beyond Law And Chaos.  They are believed to originate in the Imagination, and are beings of pure dreams.   They are Dream Vampires and feed on the dreams of humans.   They can appear as male or female, or as non human.  They are highly dangerous.

Devils are fallen Angels. They have rebelled, attained free will and fled creation.  Some, however, find loopholes and find their way back to the Material world.

Angels are spirits from our realm, the realm of Balance.  They are the servants of Elohim, or god.  Angels have no free will, and can not leave Creation.

The Lillium are living monsters.  Legend says they are the children of Lilith,  Adam's first wife.  Whether or not this is true,  the Lillium are too varied to be described in a simple paragraph.  To put it simply, they are monsters of flesh and blood.  Minotaurs, Gorgons, Gargoyles, these are all the sons and daughters of Lilith.

Vampires are one of the more dangerous of spirits.  Vampires are spirits that are bound to a corpse.  During the day, they are free to roam in their spirit form, while at night, they return to inhabit their own corpse.  They must feed on human blood to keep their corpse from decaying.   When their spirit is absent from their corpse, the body is just that, a corpse.  It has non of the benifits or detriments of the vampire.   It decays in the hours the spirit is gone. So the older the vampire, the more blood it needs to  repair its body each night.  Eventually the vampire will have to abandon its corpse and bond with a new corpse.   A vampire will only bond with a fresh corpse, for obvious reasons.   Killing a vampire's corpse will only destroy the body, not the spirit.   The spirit will then be forced to bond with a new body.  A stake through the heart will trap the vampire in the body until the stake is removed, making it easier to kill the vampire for good.
  Sunlight is painful to the vampire, and can cause its corpse to burn, or even force the spirit to flee its body.

A lich is like an inferi in that it is a walking corpse, but its unlike an inferi in that it retains it's intellegence and free will.  To become a lich one must drink a formula made from poisons and a powdered Philosopher's Stone.    The lich is then dependant on this formula much like a vampire is dependant on human blood.   Only a mad man would seek immortaly by becoming undead.

A revenant is a murder spirit.   Sometimes when a human dies by violence, a murder spirit enters their corpse and reanimates it.  The revenant retains most of it’s host’s memories.  It will then kill and destroy until it’s murderous appetite is satisfied.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2011 at 6:45pm by John »  

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2010 at 9:21am
Print Post  
John are these rules that you came up with? they are real interesting I may use them. Just so folks know, I am using most of these ideas in champions but my co gm has liked stuff that i have borrowed from this site so far. He was a V&V payer back when we were young. He may be able to help me convert more of our players back into the fold

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2010 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I  can't say I made them up whole cloth as the word inferi is from Harry Potter ( by way of ancient Rome), but the ideas of all undead being spirits that inhabit corpses is pretty much mine.  Feel free to take what you want.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I have been thinking about zombies, and these days with them everywhere, its hard not to.   I know I have posted rules for them before, but these is my current zombie write up.

Zombies are dead.  That means they were killed.  That means they have zero hit points AND zero power.  They are an animated corpse.  That means all they have are basic hits.

So a zombie is an animated dead body so all it has is basic hits.  Since they have no power, they are always fatigued and all their stats are half what they were in life.  They can not heal, recover power.  Infact, all they do is wander in search of food, food that does nothing for them.    Zombies slowely decay, and  will fall apart in a few months.  Say they loose a basic hit each month until they are mush.

Zombies, if made by a Necromancer are temperary henchmen at best.   They can be repaird by surgical or magical means. 

They do cause normal humans trouble, but the average superhero should make quick toast of them.   Their two biggest weapons are that they cause normal people to make cool rolls,   AND their bites confer a slow death that will turn the person into a zombie when they succumbe.
   A zombie bitw will cause a person to lose one hit point per hour until dead.  They must save once per hour Ed100.  If they make three saves in a row, they have beaten the wasting dieases.  Further medical attention will be needed, as they can still become undead when they die, even if it was years after the bite.

Zombies have the following ablities,  permanent willpower defence do to them not feeling any pain, and somehow they can detect warm, living bodies. Its how  they tell the difference between zombies and living humans.  Treat as infravision with a +2 to hit, and a x2 to detections when applicable.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks to to some further study into the Vaccuous Grimorie,  I have found some futher information about Inferi, or Zombies.

First there are three types of Zombies, each pertaining to one part of the human that has perished.   Normally when a body dies, the mind also dies and the soul goes free.  But sometimes, by either accident, or design, things go awry.

Sometimes the body  dies but the mind and soul survive, this is how Liches are created.  They retain their intellect and gain the benifits and curses of undeath.  They need to maintain their unlife by surgical or magical means.

Sometimes the body dies, the soul is released but the mind survives.  This poor creatures are zombies.  Their corpse roams the earth satifising the urges of their undeath.  It is only a matter of time before their body will decay bringing their horried undead state to an end.

And sometimes  the mind dies but the body and soul remain intact.  This is usually caused by a Voodoo Priest.  These living  dead are mindless slaves of whomever created them.   These are Xombies.  They can be cured from this state, but the mind is usually horribly limited.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Due to information obtained from the thralls of Greenburg the vampire  some more information about the living dead was revealed.

Vampires can feed their blood to humans to create three different types of slaves.
            The first type are still living thralls.  Normal humans that are beguiled by the Vampire's addictive blood and due their master's bidding.    Thralls can be saved but suffer the worst withdrawl known to man.

The second type are ghouls.   Humans drained of blood, and then given vampire blood but not buried for three days rise as timid  undead flesh eaters.  Their souls have not fled and such retain part of their personality but they are slaves to their master's will.  They are useful in that they feed on dead flesh and bones.  Vampires use them to clean up their kills.  This keeps many a vampire hunter off their track.

The last and the most dangerous are Ghasts.   Ghasts are created the same way Ghouls are but are given more blood, so much in fact that the creator is weekened for a while.  Ghasts are super strong, low intellegence violence happy murderers.   They are the vampire's muscle.  They are kept on a short leash, or else.  Even a vampire, when weakened, can be the victim of its own ghast!
     And  there have been reports of ghasts and ghouls that have broken free from their master's will.  It is not known if they are freed or killed when their master is slain.   And no one knows why some ghouls and ghasts go free.

All three servents of the vampire are filled with Dead Man's Blood, and as such are not fit for feeding by other undead.   Zombies don't detect them and leave them unmolested.

And last but not least,  when a vampire feeds his blood into a woman that is with child, whether making a thrall, ghoul or ghast,  sometimes that child can be born a Damfyr, a human living vampire.  This child has all the strenghts of both races, and the weaknessess of neither.  Such beings are true terrors, immortal blood feeding living monsters!  Damfyrs feed on both the living and the dead!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:18pm:
Such beings are true terrors, immortal blood feeding living monsters!

And tax evaders, like Wesley Snipes.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Devils are fallen Angels. They have rebelled, attained free will and fled creation.  Some, however, find loopholes and find their way back to the Material world.

John,

Any examples of Loopholes???

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
That would be telling.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Rats in Fraction Krayzen Rax

Sorry, that was best impersonation of Fred Flinstone Cursing.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
There are three types of vampires.

First, the normal vampire.  The blood feeding ones.  They take over the physical body.  Do not be confused, when you become a vampire you are gone.  What the vampire really is, is an alien spirit pretending to be the person of the body they have stolen.  They are body thieves.

Next are the mind thieves, the Succubi.  These are Dreams that come to the material world to steal your dreams.  Be warned, succubi are powerful, and hard to destroy.

And lastly, and most terrible, are the soul thieves, the wraiths!  Invisible,  powerful and eneffable spirits that feed on the soul.   How do you know you are under attack by a wraith?  The most common symptom is depression.    Most wraith afflicted persons end up as suicides.

IP Logged

>