Normal Topic V&V Worldbuilding (Read 1231 times)
Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

V&V Worldbuilding
Jun 2nd, 2010 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Mike had an interesting idea for a new thread. With his permission, I include it below.

Mike wrote on May 30th, 2010 at 10:20pm:
I've been thinking a lot about world-building as of late and am interested in hearing your thoughts. It's something I don't hear talked about as much here as in D&D sites. So I'm itching to hear people's thoughts.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: V&V Worldbuilding
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
If you wait to play until you built the whole world,  you will never play.  Its ok to come up with a piece of the puzzle and build it one peice at a time.  Will it be perfect?  No. But at least you get to play in the here and now!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Carpenter
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
You don't need to have everything figured out at the start, but it helps to have a general sense what the GM and players want out of the world.

D&D is easier--especially in the classic style of play. Your characters begin the game broke, probably with no substantial contacts, in a town somewhere.

There's no mass transportation. No mass communication. So the characters have very little sense of everything that exists in the world.

In a modern game, be it Top Secret or V&V or whatever, characters have access to signficant information. Some players want to know what villains the public knows are at large and what strange lands or new species are known to exist.

I think it helps for the players and the GM to be flexible. This might be a different topic, but I think it also helps if the GM doesn't railroad the players if they want to do more investigating or spend time tracking down loose ends. Like a lot of games, everyone involved has to have a similar perspective about what they want out of the game.

With world building, it also helps for the GM to keep good notes. That way, even if things change as the game moves forward, you can at least acknowledge the change (or try to explain it somehow if required).
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:12pm by Carpenter »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Really good points, Carpenter!  Especially about the way that communication and transportation make the world "smaller" than it used to be.  In fact, with the internet, cell phones, etc. the world is even tinier than it was 20 years ago when I started my current campaign.

I was just watching a baseball special about the '89 earthquake that interrupted the World Series that year (both teams in the Bay Area).  At the time, the ENTIRE WORLD had to rely on Al Michaels (who was broadcasting for ABC at the time, I think) for things like news, updates, road conditions, and lots more.  He pointed out how nowadays there wouldn't be thousands of people "in the dark" about what was going on.  Not only would every news station give you every possible angle, but every civilian present would have all the latest news on their cell phones and be able to broadcast pictures of what was happening all around the world!  It's such a different world we live in now, so things like communication play a big part of a campaign world.

Transportation - regardless of era - can be problematic for hero groups too.  If you have one of the heroes who can instantly teleport everyone to the moon and back (or anywhere on the planet), it can change the scope and magnitude of adventures and how the GM can make thrilling stories that challenge the protagonists.

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
In addition to the present, an important part about world-building is figuring out the past of the supers universe.

I'm fortunate that my group is pretty flexible, meaning that we might flesh out more of the past as the campaign goes forward--but there's a general understaning that there probably won't be any major surprises that would reshape world history in a way that contradicts their general sense of events.

Here's generally what's been established history-wise.

1933: The first costumed, super-powered hero stops Garotte and the Wisconsin Lizard Man.

1941-1945: The Britsh weather-controlling villain Excalliber turns against the Allies and joins the Axis forces during WWII.

During the 1990s and early 2000s, a vigilante-archer known as Diana defeated numerous criminals and thwarted the criminal organization CHESS.

2010: A group of costumed heroes forms! I'm documenting their adventures in my Reverse World thread.

The Greys are the only known extraterrestrials, but their presence is still largely the stuff of tabloid newspapers. They'll play a larger role in the game down the road.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2010 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Well put, Mike.  I agree that it's nice to have a flexible group that allows you to sort of build things as you go along (for the most part).  As he said, that's assuming that no major events occurred that deviate from our own known history.

In our universe, we've explored the characters' pasts and the history of our campaign world as we've gone along.  The events that happen in our world (like September 11th) happen in our campaign world, and it's rare that something in the campaign world contradicts what we all know and read in the daily news.

One significant event for us (that I introduced probably 15 years ago) was that a group of paranormals attempted to form their own sovereign state (I was heavily influenced by the latter issues of the Elementals with that).  They ended up taking over the African island of Madagascar, and since that time in our history it has been run by supers.  It is now known as New Babylon, and it is mostly made up of a number of city-states.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2010 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jun 4th, 2010 at 12:51am:
Well put, Mike.  I agree that it's nice to have a flexible group that allows you to sort of build things as you go along (for the most part).  As he said, that's assuming that no major events occurred that deviate from our own known history.

In our universe, we've explored the characters' pasts and the history of our campaign world as we've gone along.  The events that happen in our world (like September 11th) happen in our campaign world, and it's rare that something in the campaign world contradicts what we all know and read in the daily news.

One significant event for us (that I introduced probably 15 years ago) was that a group of paranormals attempted to form their own sovereign state (I was heavily influenced by the latter issues of the Elementals with that).  They ended up taking over the African island of Madagascar, and since that time in our history it has been run by supers.  It is now known as New Babylon, and it is mostly made up of a number of city-states.

I would wonder  what the world's green organizations and groups for animal rights would think of New Babylon. Madagascar is the only home of some protected animal species (all 13 species of lemur are found only there) as a player I would ask. I know it's not of big importance to most players but some would wonder lol

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

>