Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New V&V Product: Citizen Report (Read 8039 times)
Troy...
Apprentice

New V&V Product: Citizen Report
Jul 7th, 2010 at 8:04am
Print Post  
The latest V&V product is now available for only $4. Check out Citizen Report.

The great Dave Woodrum is the writer, and the art by Lorena Soriano Garcia is amazing! Smiley

http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/category/Villains-and-Vigilantes-8/rec/25

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2010 at 8:14am by Troy... »  

Citizen-Report117-98_th.jpg ( 23 KB | 15 Downloads )
Citizen-Report117-98_th.jpg

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Re: New V&V Product: Citizen Report
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 9:37am
Print Post  
This is the finished cover. Thanks Troy for the splash this morning; we are VERY excited about the pipeline of new stuff which is taking shape!
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2010 at 5:59pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 9:57am
Print Post  
There's also a mention of the next new release.

Coming Soon: Enter the Gene Pool, a V&V adventure by James Satter and illustrated by James Bishop.

I here that Bishop guy is a pretty good artist.  Wink Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2010 at 10:16am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 10:13am
Print Post  
heh, he gets by -  Smiley
Preview...
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2010 at 5:59pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 10:16am
Print Post  
While I love Dave's previous work for FGU, I am going to hold off on this one. I am very surprised that FGU's response to Monkey House Games has been to ignore what they are doing and just go forward with new supplements. But then FGU has been ignoring V&V for over twenty years, I think the cover art looks great but I won't support FGU now that Jeff and Jack are back in the picture. Glad I purchased the 2.1 as this is probably when things are going to get tangled up with lawyers now.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Wow, that's an awful thing to hear Drosta...
I don't want to get into some strange debate but -
To set the record straight:
FGU has not been ignoring V&V for 20 years, and I am sure that they are not ignoring them now. (Gosh wherever would you have gotten that notion?)
FGU is just not going to put an official spokesperson into a forum to debate the disagreements.

The products have always been available, in print and reprinted on demand - obviously it costs money to have a print run when necessary and being real, demand isn't enough to warrant spending tens of thousands of dollars to roll a digital press.

Let's be frank, V&V's creators hadn't done very much promoting until very recently -and- after fracturing the brand in the last 5 years on a failed competing system using the same characters... (LL).

Another boner here - All this FGU bashing needs to stop -
Jeff D. hasn't missed cashing a royalties check - ever, regardless of how small - so let's leave that argument between Jeff and Scott and two lawyers and a cup.

This is unfortunate that JDJH have done the monkey house thing. A UNITED FRONT would always accomplish so much more, wouldn't you agree?

I like you Drosta, you have good ideas and are a great player-fan... you should imagine that any amount of respect that you command in a forum means that your words of non-support of Dave's work is hurting the game in general not to mention the future... so enjoy the fruits of everyone's labors and let it sort itself out.

Peace.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 11:40am
Print Post  
It's not non support for Dave's work, I think the stuff he has put out has been great. In fact Dave's work has been the only new work on V&V in the past twenty years or so, and it is good stuff he has been putting out. I got the notion that FGU has been ignoring V&V because they have done nothing with the title in over twenty years. Please don't get me wrong on this, I appreciate that it has been available for sale, that isn't the same as doing anything with it though. Nothing new has come out for a very long time and thanks to the vagaries of copyright law we are in the cluster**** that is going on now. I would prefer to see a united front by the fans and contributers of V&V. It isn't likely to happen though.

To Dave and you as well Alabaster, you have been great contributors to V&V. I hope you both continue to do so, I am going to wait for some legal dust to settle and see what is what I think.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Gentlemen, first off, I'd like to suggest that everyone, take a step back, and not let this turn into a pissing contest, or a flame war. John's been kind enough to let us all hang out here, and with very few exceptions, the place has been pretty much conflict free. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd prefer it stay that way.

As things stand right now, it looks like FGU and Monkey House Games are both publishing material for V&V. Will both continue to do so? I don't know. That's something their lawyers will have to work out. My personal preference, and I have no say so either way, would be for all parties involved to sit down, and have a face to face meeting where they could actually try to hash out the issues between them (I figure after all this time, it couldn't hurt for them to split a pizza and some beer one night).

Until then, I don't think bashing one company, or the other, is going to complish anything except, 1) hurt the brand, which after 20 years is finally starting to have a bit of a revival; 2) alienate the fan base,  driving them away; 3)  hurt FGU, Monkey House Games, and anyone associated with them, financially (the only guys who'll end up making any money will be the lawyers). For now, I'd suggest everyone just sit back, and continue to support the game , and it's creators. (Play, host games, introduce new players, and promote it wherever you can).

With that, I'm going to get some much needed shut eye.

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2010 at 12:49pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
thanks for posting what some of us were thinking D

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
OK gents, I know I said I was going to bed, but this actually bothered me. I'm going to be up front with everyone. While I don't know all of the particulars of what's going on, as it's really none of my business, I have been talking to several people on both sides of the issue. And I have to admit, I'm a little conflicted on this whole issue.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt in this, as I truly believe everyone involved loves this game, and that's all I can see happening if things keep going down this route. What I would really like to see happen is for a neutral party to try to help negotiate a deal between everyone involved, where the rights to V&V don't get tied up in court, and any new product in the pipe line would get published, and the creators of past, current, and future products get paid.

I'll get off my soapbox now. And let folks get back to talking about Citizen Report. Dave's got some good ideas, and I for one want to read them. So, while I'm not sure about the rest of you, I'll be ordering a copy, later today, along with a brief synopsis of what's inside of it.

YIM  
IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
May come down to whether keeping thigs available perpetually in PDF format counts as keeping things "in print" for the purposes of the contract. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know.

I do know this: the U.S. Copyright Notice in the front of the Revised Edition rulebook that I have says "Copyright 1982 Jeff Dee and Jack Herman". They own the game, pure and simple.

Allen

IP Logged

Troy...
Apprentice

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Dave was telling us here that Citizen Report was underway (along with a few other FGU V&V products) months before Monkey House Games sent out their initial press release. I'm looking forward to seeing additional new products! I really like Dave's approach--and the new FGU artwork we've seen is exceptional.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2010 at 3:08pm by Troy... »  

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I was told, by a friend who is not a copyright lawyer but a writer, that after a set number of years the trademark reverts to the author of an IP. Now I am no lawyer and not making any claims to know for sure that this is what has happened. The reason things like this polarize everyone is we are all rabid fanboys (and girls) of the game Villains and Vigilantes. Some of us are also lucky enough and creative enough to be contributors to the game. I wish I was talented enough to be among that crowd, believe me. My above statements are from the rabid, emotional, fanboy part of me. I have never talked to Scott Bizar, I have only ever heard Jeff and Jack's side of things. I am firmly of the belief that there are no winners in this sort of argument, so I won't argue the point further. Suffice it to say I love V&V and I love Dave's work on it as well. Any work that furthers the enjoyment of the game is alright in my book.

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I have no issue with Dave at all. The freebies were great. I'm sure this product is too, but given the situation I do not feel right about purchasing it (and apparently can't anyway since it doesn't meet their minimum order requirement according to someone on the Yahoo group).

Allen

IP Logged

philzilla
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Jul 7th, 2010 at 5:09pm:
I have no issue with Dave at all. The freebies were great. I'm sure this product is too, but given the situation I do not feel right about purchasing it (and apparently can't anyway since it doesn't meet their minimum order requirement according to someone on the Yahoo group).

Allen

Yeah, just tried to order this but it's a $10 minimum order, so I guess I'll have to wait till FGU releases more new material or raises the price. Pretty stupid.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
philzilla wrote on Jul 7th, 2010 at 6:26pm:
Allen Shock wrote on Jul 7th, 2010 at 5:09pm:

Allen

Yeah, just tried to order this but it's a $10 minimum order, so I guess I'll have to wait till FGU releases more new material or raises the price. Pretty stupid.

This is actually kind of embarrassing, on FGU's part.  They've still got parts of their website that aren't finished, links that are broken, and other indications that they are still being a bit too casual with the whole process.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
I'll talk to Scott about the web order minimum and site architecture....

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Dave, Alabaster (or anyone else in the know),

I just noticed that the number of "Citizen Report" is 2031a.

So what's up with the "a" designation?  We've never seen that before from FGU (not on V&V materials, anyway).

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #18 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Oo. Oo. I know. I know!!!!

It's a designate of a PDF that will be but a chapter of a TPB print edition of multiple content printed books...

2031a, plus b, plus c will be printed as a Giant 2031.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #19 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Oh cool, so there will be a print issue?   I don't like paying for PFDs, and the comic collector in me needs the booklet.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Troy...
Apprentice

Reply #20 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
philzilla wrote on Jul 7th, 2010 at 6:26pm:

The $10 minimum is only for printed copies, not PDFs. Here's what it says on the Citizen Report page from the link above:

This is a PDF download of the book.
If you only want to order the PDF (and no physical products), then do the following:
1) Our minimum order is $10, so order multiple copies.
2) Your credit card is billed manually later and we will only bill you for one copy.
3)The minimum is there for mail orders only and we simply have no way to separate PDF orders from mail orders on the system - we apologize for any inconvenience and repeat that you will actually only be billed for one PDF.
SKU Number:2031a            

Price:      $4.00

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2010 at 7:19pm by Troy... »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #21 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 7th, 2010 at 7:15pm:
Oh cool, so there will be a print issue?   I don't like paying for PFDs, and the comic collector in me needs the booklet.

Yes, eventually.
It will have Citizen Report, Enter the Gene Pool and a third adventure book that I cannot release details on... yet.

And thanks Troy for the clarification, I will still talk with Scott about working out that parameter -if possible-.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I can confirm what Troy said, it's a pdf, and I've ordered them from FGU before.  It works fine just order multiple copies, and they'll only bill you for one.

I'll be getting my copy today, I'll buy V&V material wherever I can for as long as I can.

Go Dave! Jeff, and Jack!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #23 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Just downloaded my copy. I'll post a quick overview in a bit.

YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #24 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Congratuations to Dave! I'm looking forward to reading Citizen Report!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info on this, guys.  I thought I was going to have to wait.  Like many, I prefer to get the actual book, but a PDF will work for now (I can always print that out, too).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #26 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 7th, 2010 at 6:59pm:
Oo. Oo. I know. I know!!!!

It's a designate of a PDF that will be but a chapter of a TPB print edition of multiple content printed books...

2031a, plus b, plus c will be printed as a Giant 2031.

That makes sense; thanks, AK!

Scott had told me about that plan before, but I didn't realize that this was how they were doing it.

Just purchased it and it looks solid!  Good work (again), Dave!  I can imagine using some of this in my campaign fairly soon!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #27 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
A quick overview.

OK, this isn't a review, it's just a brief summery of the what's in the book. The book is a 21 page PDF (including front & back covers, and a page of counters). The book is broken up into sections detailing everything from businesses and corporations, to organizations, and my personal favorite, six street gangs (street level heroes look out).

There's also info detailing NPCs (Police, security personnel, notable personalities, bystanders, etc.), possible origins for super powers in your game, and information on weapons and vehicles that might pop up in a game. All and all, not a bad deal for only $4. That's what I spend on a comic I read in less roughly 10 minutes, and I'm quite sure I'll get for more mileage out of this.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #28 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 7th, 2010 at 11:39pm:
A quick overview.

OK, this isn't a review, it's just a brief summery of the what's in the book. The book is a 21 page PDF (including front & back covers, and a page of counters). The book is broken up into sections detailing everything from businesses and corporations, to organizations, and my personal favorite, six street gangs (street level heroes look out).

There's also info detailing NPCs (Police, security personnel, notable personalities, bystanders, etc.), possible origins for super powers in your game, and information on weapons and vehicles that might pop up in a game. All and all, not a bad deal for only $4. That's what I spend on a comic I read in less roughly 10 minutes, and I'm quite sure I'll get for more mileage out of this.  

Agreed.  There's also a couple of cool NPCs that detail specific jobs that would only exist in a world with supers (like a costume designer).

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #29 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
On the advice of some people whose opinions I greatly respect. I have changed my mind about this product.

But I still can't buy it. I only have a debit card.

If it ever shows up on RPGNow.com, I might buy it then.

Allen

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #30 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:15pm:
On the advice of some people whose opinions I greatly respect. I have changed my mind about this product.

Allen

If you're card is a Visa or Master Card check card, it'll work just like a credit card.

YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #31 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Yep, I used a debit card, when you purchase it the order said $12, I ordered three to get the minimum, but they only billed me $4 when it went through.

IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #32 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:15pm:

Allen

I agree.

I'd rather get this through RPGnow rather than give all the money to FGU.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #33 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Check your Yahoo mail Allen....
AK

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #34 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:12am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 10:28pm:
Check your Yahoo mail Allen....
AK

Thank you.

Allen