Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upcoming V&V Releases (Read 128715 times)
Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: Upcoming V&V Releases
Reply #525 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Ypsi, I'm all for improving my game but if that was the worse mistake by an author or lack or proof reading by a staffer I have ever seen I might mess with you. As it is, it's not Smiley not by a long shot Wink

You guys put out some very nice stuff

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #526 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Thank-you, Ranger. Yad and I honestly appreciate that.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2013 at 11:59am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #527 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 5:05am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
I have been hearing the same about Dorobato and Inarri from a few other people. I figured the Vampire-bondage-fairy would get more response. Or even the flying fat guy. But those two have "something".

As for my confusion on HGT ATT... Uhhhmmmm.... It's a Variant Rule! Grin (See VV2, pg 44, section 7.3 - totally lame, I know...)

Honestly, guys, I just made a mistake. It is likely that EVERY time I have ever used Heightened Attack, I put it in wrong. I just got it stuck in my head that way and can't get myself to change it - at least I'm consistent.

My NEXT FREEBIE: John's Errata. I figure I'll toss in the actual names of the Armor Dolls since I totally head-spaced on that one...

<edit> I checked "The Department", and somehow I got it correct. Got it wrong in "Centerville Incident" and "Power of One" Huh</edit>

Hey YJ,
I've always HATED Heightened Attack, so I'm not surprised you made an error with it. It always struck me as a worthless power at 1st to 3rd level, and kinda outrageous at 7th level or more.

Whenever I see Heightened Attack when doing a random build (and most are), I think "hmm... well I guess I'm dropping that for the weakness". If a player gets it, it's an auto reroll result. The only variant you'll ever see is Heightened Attack: +4 damage (regardless of level) and then use the same table as expertise (so it works with 1 attack form, a group of attack forms or all attack forms).

Another one use, but almost never as described in the books is Weakness Detection. It's never just a bonus to hit: I break up the bonus between a bonus to hit, a bonus to damage, and a penalty when the target tries to hit them. This means the weakness detector gets a more well rounded bonus, rather than just "I can always hit you". I learned this from Motivator in Most Wanted, Vol 1... even as a 12 year old I could see the power as written in the book couldn't really handle super genius types in a balanced way.

But I'm rambling... Smiley

Ramble 

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #528 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
I've always liked Weakness Detection.  We've added to it, though, so we now have it:

Another option is to allow a character to only gain the
combat bonus (and not learn a weakness), but to be able to
do so at a distance (range = I"). This is often appropriate
when the power is rolled up on the Skills chart, and reflects
that the character is able to gain an advantage after
studying their opponent's moves and tactics.

For Heightened Attack, we've changed it to:

Instead of getting only a bonus to damage, the character
selects from a number of different options each time they
attain a new level. Each selection has a maximum number
of times it can be chosen or taken, even if the character
selects this power multiple times.
• +1 to damage (maximum of +6)
• +1 to hit with an attack (maximum of +4 with each different attack)
• +1 to initiative (maximum of +5)
• 10" to a movement rate (maximum of +100" to any movement rate)
• +3 to any combat Skill Total (maximum of +3 to each individual Skill)
• +5 to Detect Danger (maximum of +20%)

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #529 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Well... "What power(s) would you change in V&V?" is a very large can of worms.

Were I king for the day, I would change "Lowered Intelligence" to "Reduced Intelligence" so it would be placed with the rest of the "Reduced Stats". I might include "Diminished Senses" in there as well.

But more to the apparent topic of this drift - I would make "Heightened Attack" mirror "Heightened Defense", so it simply added a +4 to all attack rolls. At low levels the +4 to hit is a useful bonus, and at higher levels it also helps, but is not over-powering.

Beyond that, some basic clarification on some powers. Nothing earth-shattering.
I would not add any new powers. Really, anything I see a need for as a "new power" is an adjustment to an existing power or is easily covered by "Mutant Power" or "Psionics".

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #530 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Why this isn't exactly "new" Monkey House Games' Ancient Evil, is now available in print from Lulu.com. Here's the press release.

"ANCIENT EVIL™ RISES AGAIN! NOW IN PRINT FROM MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™
March 13th, 2013 | by Jeff Dee
Posted In: Monkey House News

ANCIENT EVIL™, for the VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ 2.1 and LIVING LEGENDS™ superhero RPGs is available in a new print edition from MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™:

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/monkeyhousegames

Written by STEPHEN DEDMAN (classic V&V™ adventures PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE and THE GREAT IRIDIUM CON) with art by TOD ALLEN SMITH (TOPPS-MARVEL and STAR WARS Card artist, INFINITY LOUNGE), ANCIENT EVIL™ is a strange adventure of weird menace and jam-packed with super-powerful supernatural mystery.

ANCIENT EVIL™ includes maps, encounter tables, a timeline of events, and character stats, plus optional V&V 2.1 rules covering Underwater Combat and Zero-G Combat. Two full sheets of character counters for the ANCIENT EVIL™ adventure are available free for download now from the MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™ website: http://monkeyhousegames.com/?page_id=268"

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #531 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 7:37am:
Well... "What power(s) would you change in V&V?" is a very large can of worms.

Were I king for the day, I would change "Lowered Intelligence" to "Reduced Intelligence" so it would be placed with the rest of the "Reduced Stats". I might include "Diminished Senses" in there as well.

I always thought the reason they used "Lowered" instead of "Reduced" was because it was the only one that subtracted 3d6 instead of 2d6.

That said, if I were King for a day I'd do away with all of the reduced/lowered stats.  Or more accurately I'd make them -1d6 (or perhaps -3 or -4).  Then I'd focus on all the tons of weaknesses that aren't included, that one sees in the comics all the time (Dependents, Rivals, Enemies, etc.).

Ironnerd wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 7:37am:
But more to the apparent topic of this drift - I would make "Heightened Attack" mirror "Heightened Defense", so it simply added a +4 to all attack rolls. At low levels the +4 to hit is a useful bonus, and at higher levels it also helps, but is not over-powering.

Beyond that, some basic clarification on some powers. Nothing earth-shattering.
I would not add any new powers. Really, anything I see a need for as a "new power" is an adjustment to an existing power or is easily covered by "Mutant Power" or "Psionics".[/font]

I really like Mutant Power, Psionics, and the other wild card powers, too.  There's a few powers, though, that I think would be helpful to add in.  Like some sort of Water Control, for instance (rather than shoe-horning it in to be Ice).
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2013 at 5:52pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #532 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Like some sort of Water Control, for instance (rather than shoe-horning it in to be Ice).
Interestingly enough I used an amalgamation of Magnetic and Ice  Powers for a players Hydro-Kinetic ability  Cool

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #533 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Okay good people... We'll talk about the changes you dream about over here:
http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=...

I am NOT saying that ANY changes of ANY KIND are in the works... But it is always fun to talk about what you would do if you were King for the day, and how you use Power "X" to get effect "R"... And such discussions don't belong in this thread.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2013 at 9:25pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #534 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Well it's finally gotten to the point where I think I can let you guys know what the next freebie will be. It's a micro adventure called Mall Madness. I'd posted a really rough version many moons ago, that has now been cleaned up, reedited, and had some professional artwork produced, courtesy of Joe Singleton, as well as maps done by James Bishop. It's in the final editing stages now.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #535 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 2:23am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 17th, 2013 at 3:58pm:
Well it's finally gotten to the point where I think I can let you guys know what the next freebie will be. It's a micro adventure called Mall Madness. I'd posted a really rough version many moons ago, that has now been cleaned up, reedited, and had some professional artwork produced, courtesy of Joe Singleton, as well as maps done by James Bishop. It's in the final editing stages now.

Congrats!
I can't wait to see your work available with all the spit and polish it deserves. And you've been a great fan and supporter for so long, you deserve some time up in the limelight!  Wink

Ramble

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #536 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Agreed, I'd love to see Dom publish some of his stuff... How about a book of characters... Hero and Villain...

I know you've got enough, and they are awesome!

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #537 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 2:38pm:
Agreed, I'd love to see Dom publish some of his stuff... How about a book of characters... Hero and Villain...

I know you've got enough, and they are awesome!

Here freaking here, I second that motion whole heartedly. I'd love to see a Summer/Singelton Most Wanted Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2013 at 3:53pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #538 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
That would be nice... I might actually pay money for that Smiley

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #539 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
We shall see gents, we shall see.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #540 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Just got Ancient Evil.  Between that and in Broad Daylights, and the art in the 2.1 rule book,  I am not looking forward to the future of V&V for the first time in decades.  All the Monkey House stuff looks amateurish compared the the FGU stuff.

Just the new character sheet makes the new characters barely readable.

What happened to all the crisp art easy to read design that made V&V stand out from all the other games? 

And the Lulu printing gives all the illustrations a cheap fuzzy look.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #541 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Now that Drivethru/RPGNow offer print on Demand (and good ones too from all the ones I've purchased), I don't get why people don't use it more for rpg printing. Plus it would allow print/pdf bundles to be purchased, which makes things a lot easier than having to buy them from 2 separate sources.

I do agree about the art in Ancient Evil too, though I will state that the image of Devestatia was (imho) not on par with the usual state of art in FGU's releases.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #542 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:04am
Print Post  
I can't stand the character sheet MH uses. Its all lines, especially when  there is no text.   

I was looking at Crisis and Alone into the Night,  look at how the characters' stats are written up.  And the character illustrations were excellent.   

Ancient Evil, while I didn't read it yet, and In Broad Daylight,  just don't have the crisp art and great design that  the FGU stuff had and still has. There are some exceptions on a few  of the character illustrations, sorry Bishop.. but I  am only calling it as I see it.

The bottom line is this for me, I don't care who makes my mayonnaise, as long as it tastes good.   And so far FGU has better tasting condiment.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #543 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 3:24am
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:04am:
I can't stand the character sheet MH uses. Its all lines, especially when  there is no text.   

I was looking at Crisis and Alone into the Night,  look at how the characters' stats are written up.  And the character illustrations were excellent.   

Ancient Evil, while I didn't read it yet, and In Broad Daylight,  just don't have the crisp art and great design that  the FGU stuff had and still has. There are some exceptions on a few  of the character illustrations, sorry Bishop.. but I  am only calling it as I see it.

The bottom line is this for me, I don't care who makes my mayonnaise, as long as it tastes good.   And so far FGU has better tasting condiment.

I think James does good work. So does Yad. And not just the character illustrations, but the page layout, cover art, card counters and mapping is also consistently strong. They ought to be proud of the work they do.

(I still geek out about the fact that my Zodiac got 8 PAGES of card counters attached to it...)

Ramble

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #544 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 3:51am
Print Post  
The counter sheets in the recent FGU products have been fantastic looking. The Vehicle ones look really good.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #545 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 3:10pm
Print Post  

It's funny. You look at the books from M&M, or Icons, or D&D, or D20 Heroes and you're like "WOW! LOOK AT ALL THE COLOR!" Crazy layouts everywhere! Inset examples. Sidebars. Graphics galore! They're just really awesome work. Then you look at the Plain Jane B/W art and simple layouts of FGU's books and people say - "Dude, that is so CLEAN! Niiiice." (True story, happened at the comic book shop).  I just had to chuckle...

Anyway, for "The Department" Yad has received permission to "Experiment" with the layouts. Just a tiny, tiny bit. I got a hint of it when he did a mock-up layout for Great Bridge 2, and it is actually pretty cool. Still B/W. Still simple and clean. Same margins, fonts, spacing and all that, but just slightly massaged. I think you guys will dig it.

Sadly, he is currently planning his wedding (well, he's agreeing with his fiance a lot and handing over the credit card), he caught my "Please kill me now" 24 hour flu, his future in-laws are visiting, AND his thermostat has gone insane doing odd things to the temperature inside his charming domicile - so not a lot of art going on there...

I told him "You gotta suffer to write, Dude." He shouted back. "I don't write, you weird bastard! I DRAW! And I have to be HAPPY to draw!"

Artists [shrug].

S'okay, he's giving me breathing room on my space adventure (which is kicking my butt). Tongue

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #546 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I take no offense and appreciate the praise and critiques; When I have time to do these things, I love doing them.
Thanks.

Excuse me for now, I owe Dom a logo (I'm late lately as a habit and not liking that...)

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #547 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 7:59pm:
Mark & Quote Quote
I take no offense and appreciate the praise and critiques;

That has certainly been my experience.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2013 at 11:15am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #548 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Well gents, the final read through has been completed, the cover is done, and the counters are being worked on. Hoepfully, this sucker will finally be finished within the next few weeks.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #549 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Because I know people like to know what's coming down the pipe...

Home Front is written and submitted to FGU, just waiting in the queue for the artist work to begin. Home Front is set in North America in 1941, and it's my first pack of mini-adventures. It contains 4 mini-adventures and 1 IOU (Integrated Optional Upgrade).

While the adventures and characters are affected by WWII, Pearl Harbour is still prestine, and there's lots of wiggle room for an enterprising GM to work with. I started writing Home Front on January 1st, and submitted it on Saint Patrick's Day. It's the first of five books I intend to submit this year (it's part of my New Year's Revolution). Cheesy

Back to work!

Ramble

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #550 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
looking forward to that one Ramble!

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #551 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Yesterday, I finished World War II Super Soldiers, and submitted it to FGU. Nice to have that one finished.

This will be the 2nd offering of the WWII Giant that I'm building. Since the book covers both Axis and Allied forces, I think it makes a strong foundation for a GM to build from, and as always, there are references to past and future books to be found for those who know their V&V mythology.

Not sure when it will be done and available for purchasing... I'm waiting for an artist to be free to work on it.

Keep your stick on the ice.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #552 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 2:23am
Print Post  
PS... World War II Super Soldiers will probably be about 40 to 44 pages when all is said and done. In addition to complete write-ups on each of the 30 characters, there's details on support characters, inventions, lairs and related locations.

Some may look at the final product and say "Wow, these guys are kinda tough!" I would agree. There's no cannon fodder in this book, and the World War II battlefield is infinitely more dangerous than waiting for some super villain to show up in your local town to rob a bank. Weak soldiers die, whether they're super or not.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #553 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Ramble, both of these sound cool as hell and I look forward to seeing the final product (I've had an itch for some WWII material ever since I read over some old JSA stories a few months back).

On the artist front, if James is tied up with other projects, and I'm not sure if you have any say-so in who handles the art chores, but I know Joe Singleton is looking to pick up more RPG work, and I've seen some of his WWII/Golden age work. I think he'd do an awesome job on both books.

YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #554 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 12:40am
Print Post  
I want to express my thanks to AK!  I know he's biased, and I'm OK with that for anyone, but I'd argue he's had more to do with the explosion of new materials we've seen for V&V in the last 18 months than we've seen in 20 years. 

I for one am grateful.  Scott, Jeff, and Jack may have stopped by from time to time, or lurked around, but AK has been here since he got involved, an active part of this community, and a staunch supporter of a game I love. 

Regardless of who wins or loses, Thanks!

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #555 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 3:47am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 11:33am:
Ramble, both of these sound cool as hell and I look forward to seeing the final product (I've had an itch for some WWII material ever since I read over some old JSA stories a few months back).

On the artist front, if James is tied up with other projects, and I'm not sure if you have any say-so in who handles the art chores, but I know Joe Singleton is looking to pick up more RPG work, and I've seen some of his WWII/Golden age work. I think he'd do an awesome job on both books.

Hey Super-D,
I'm glad you like the sound of these books. The truth of the matter is that, to my mind, they're a bit risky. This is a ton of WWII material that I'm working on, and with all the characters and history that surrounds the War, I hope I can build a land that really speaks to players and GMs alike. And it took FOREVER to write WWIISS... I started this project back in 2011. But I think the characters cover all the genres that we want to see... there's steampunk, there's demons, there's cocky bastards, and goose-stepping sociopaths. There's heroes and villains draped in the flags of their country, and I try not to shy away from the ugly topics within the war like torture, propaganda, eugenics, and racism. And I have villains working for the allies, and I have heroes drafted into the ranks of the Axis. There is a lot in this book... so, yeah, I think fans will love it.

As for artwork... well, I leave that assignment to Mr. Bizar. After all, I don't own the artwork, so as long as it's an accurate reflection of what I write, and professional quality, i'm pretty easy to please. Besides, I'm too busy writing...

The third and last piece of the WWII Giant is a full length adventure that I began writing yesterday. I hope to have it finished before Canada Day (July 1st). This is the first time i've written a single full length adventure (I count Zodiac as a sourcebook), so I'm hoping it will draw on creative bits I've never used before. We'll see.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #556 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I'm curious Ramble. Do you play test these adventures or characters before they are submitted? I ask because often that which seems to make sense to a writer can becomes nightmare when actually put into actual play.  Cool

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #557 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 2:04pm:
I'm curious Ramble. Do you play test these adventures or characters before they are submitted? I ask because often that which seems to make sense to a writer can becomes nightmare when actually put into actual play.  Cool

I try to play test them after they are written but before they are published. That said, my current gaming group won't playtest - they don't like superheroes RPGs. So... playtesting has become a challenge for me since I essentially need to build a group of newbies to do it.

If you want to know what a book of mine without playtesting looks like, you can look at Zodiac or Mercenaries. Both have characters from past campaigns (when I had another group that did play V&V), but didn't get playtested. In both cases, I have had to work harder to ensure that I've covered all the bases I could think of, and that the ideas are clear and clean.

Now, in the interests of full disclosure, I take it that you can point to books that have been boxed nightmares?

RAMBLE

RAMBLE

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #558 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Just to give you guys the heads up, I finally got the last to pieces of artwork in, and I still need to make a few minor tweaks to some text, then hopefully it'll be off to the final edit, before posting.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #559 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Almost forgot, the official word from MHG, is that there is no official word.  Cheesy  But Jeff did make note that he's working on 3.0, and he's been playtesting it at cons.

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23
Topic Tools

>