Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Power Modifiers (Read 11275 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Power Modifiers
Reply #35 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 8:30am:
dsumner wrote on Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:34pm:
Here's another one.

Indirect: The character can make a special attack, allowing them to bounce/ricochet their powers off of walls, floors, etc. Or, a character with electrical powers could fire a bolt of electricity at a wall socket, and have it reappear from a a different light socket, wall socket, computer keyboard, etc., and hit their target from behind, allowing a +4 bonus to hit.

How's that sound? 

I really like this power but wonder if a more appropriate name would be Redirect or Ricochet

When I think of a power being Indirect I think that the power does not originate from PC.

Examples:

Storm can create a tornado in the exact spot of the opponent.  She can have hail come down on them.  She can call down lightning from the opposite direction from where she is standing.  Non of her powers have to touch her first then go to the target.

The Invisible Woman can place a force field around a opponent or a field bubble around the opponents head.

Pyro can create a fire attack from anywhere.  He once used a lighter in the Blob's hand to shot out a fiery monster at the Blob

Terra could create earth columns anywhere which could ram an opponent.

So using these examples there would be two Power Modifiers.

Redirect: The character can make a special attack, allowing them to bounce/ricochet their powers off of walls, floors, etc. Or, a character with electrical powers could fire a bolt of electricity at a wall socket, and have it reappear from a a different light socket, wall socket, computer keyboard, etc., and hit their target from behind, allowing a +4 bonus to hit.

Indirect: The character can make a special attack, allowing them ignore the terrain between the character and their target.  The target gains no bonus from hiding, protecting powers which are not attached, or being prone. This modifier povides a +4 bonus to hit.

Sorry, apparently I never responded to this. But I like idea of Indirect and Ricochet (I prefer the name) being split.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #36 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Area Effect: A power that normally affects only one target, would affect multiple targets in the same area, although doing less damage to each. The area affected would be determined by the PR cost, which is set at character creation.

<<< ADD TABLE >>>

Contagious: The character's power works on anyone coming into direct contact with its target. <<<PLACE HOLDER >>>

Continuous Damage: By expending an action, per turn, any power that's made a successful attack on a target, will continue to inflict a damage for as long as the attacking character pays the required PR cost, stops the attack, or is incapacitated. The target of the attack may attempt to stop it by <<<PLACE HOLDER>>>

Homing: Your power "locks in" on a particular target granting either a +2 or +4 bonus to hit (roll 1d6 - +2 on a 1-4, or +4 on 3-6).

Increased Knockback: Usable with any Power that inflicts knockback. +1 to the Power's base PR. Increases KB by 50%.

Lingering Effects: For each additional point of power expended, the modified power's effects last twice as long as normal. For devices, 2 charges are expended or the number of charges the device has are reduced by 2.

Selective: The character would be able to chose who his power affects on any power that affected a wide area or multiple targets.

I'm still tinkering with these, so I'll update as I work things out. As I do, feel free to post any comments, questions, or suggestions.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2022 at 2:36pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #37 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Bumping this up.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #38 - May 6th, 2021 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Added slightly reworked version of  Increased Knockback to the list.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2021 at 1:55pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #39 - Jun 9th, 2021 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
This thread is eleven years old next month.  Just sayin'.  This classic RPG game *still* has dedicated fans!  Yay!  I tried to start a V&V campaign several years ago but it fizzled out because the "armpit of Georgia" doesn't have many paper-and-pencil RPG fans (not Atlanta, like John of "Centerville" fame!)

Sigh...  I wish John would come back...  I wish V&V would come back!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #40 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Just added a bit more information.

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #41 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Er...  I didn't quite read all of the posts, yet, but I have some questions about the "auto-fire."

1) Is it limited to character creation?  Can a person with, say, Power Blast as a Power and *not* a Device or Item "train" or "invent" a way to add auto-fire?  I would suggest "train" and require the character to spend an entire level for adding auto-fire to non-Device/Item Powers.  Maybe even make that to apply to Device/Item Powers, too for "balance?"  Invention can be rationalized by saying "when I wear these special gauntlets, I can auto-fire" or whatever.

2) Does PR=2 per additional shot apply to all powers or just Power Blast?  I mean, Magnetic Powers have a PR of 5.  Does this mean a reduced PR for additional shots?  I'm just clarifying.

3) Damage reduction sounds fair, but -1 seems a bit low.  I understand Power Blast could potentially cause zero damage with a lousy roll per additional shot but it doesn't cost a whole lot, either.  Vibratory Powers would become 2d8-1 per additional shot.  That's seems kind of overpowered...  Maybe half damage per additional shot instead?

4) Page 24 of the Revised Rules says +1 to hit per additional shot for automatic weapons.  I understand we're comparing apples and oranges when comparing automatic weapons to Powers, but does the same principal apply?

5) Which Powers are capable of auto-fire?  For instance: can Mind/Emotion Control have auto-fire?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #42 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jun 16th, 2021 at 5:19pm:
Er...  I didn't quite read all of the posts, yet, but I have some questions about the "auto-fire."

1) Is it limited to character creation?  Can a person with, say, Power Blast as a Power and *not* a Device or Item "train" or "invent" a way to add auto-fire?  I would suggest "train" and require the character to spend an entire level for adding auto-fire to non-Device/Item Powers.  Maybe even make that to apply to Device/Item Powers, too for "balance?"  Invention can be rationalized by saying "when I wear these special gauntlets, I can auto-fire" or whatever.

2) Does PR=2 per additional shot apply to all powers or just Power Blast?  I mean, Magnetic Powers have a PR of 5.  Does this mean a reduced PR for additional shots?  I'm just clarifying.

3) Damage reduction sounds fair, but -1 seems a bit low.  I understand Power Blast could potentially cause zero damage with a lousy roll per additional shot but it doesn't cost a whole lot, either.  Vibratory Powers would become 2d8-1 per additional shot.  That's seems kind of overpowered...  Maybe half damage per additional shot instead?

4) Page 24 of the Revised Rules says +1 to hit per additional shot for automatic weapons.  I understand we're comparing apples and oranges when comparing automatic weapons to Powers, but does the same principal apply?

5) Which Powers are capable of auto-fire?  For instance: can Mind/Emotion Control have auto-fire?

1) Yes, but as GM, you can always allow a player to modify the way their character's power works. Say some "significant" event happens and changes the character's powers.

2) It depends on the power, there's a breakdown of the PR cost in one of the above posts that should clarify things for you.

3) That's a cumulative -1, so if you fire on 3 targets, the 1st shot does, normal damage, the second damage -1, the 3rd is -2, and so on.

4) This rule is completely separate from the automatic weapons rules in the book, as I don't want to give guys to much of an advantage. But, if you're running a game, and feel comfortable with changing things, have at it. Also, if you do, let us know how it works out, as I'd like the feedback.

5) If you want to give it a shot using them, feel free.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #43 - Jan 1st, 2022 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I've added a bit more info as well as some clarifications to a few of these. I'd really like to hear anything you guys might have to say about them.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2022 at 2:37pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>