Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New V&V Fanzine? (Read 8833 times)
Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Re: New V&V Fanzine?
Reply #35 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I have just been informed that the publisher of the fanzine has chosen to ignore the legitimate rights of the company that owns the Villains and Vigilantes trademark and copyright (as confirmed by the USTO) and in violation of their legal requirements, publish material by the former publisher who no longer has the legal right to use the trademark. On that basis, I have decided I will not support the fanzine since it too will be violating that trademark.

I have deleted the unauthorized material published by FGU from my hard drive and will not be purchasing or accepting such material myself any further.

I support the rights of the creators, Jeff Dee and Jack Herman, and Monkey House Games. Until such time as FGU acknowledges their legitimate and legal ownership of V&V and accepts the more than generous licensing agreement that has been offered, their material is bootleg.

Allen
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:14pm by Allen Shock »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #36 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Whatever guys. Thank you for your support.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #37 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
And that is exactly what I was hoping this project would avoid, by pushing FGU on the fanzine you have managed to pull support away already AK. Why couldn't you just have submitted a mini scenario without bringing that into the mix. It would have been so easy, but nope, gotta push and ruin it for the rest of the fanbase. And it didn't need to happen.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 5:13pm by Duroon »  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #38 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
I accept money from FGU to feed my children, Drosta. If I produce a V&V supplement, it reflects on my employer, therefore in the spirit of my relationship with my publisher, to contribute a freebie, I had to ensure that it was a sanctioned effort...

There is no reason that FGU can't be a viable contributor. I'm sorry you disagree, really I am. I am also sorry if support is now lost -
The stance that MHG has taken has everyone polarized and it is flat wrong. What if, in fact, they turn out to be wrong?

Until an actual arbitration or hearing takes place, Monkey House can say what they will, but it doesn't make them right. And all the armchair QBs around here (Mr. Shock...) saying what they believe is law is just silly, so until then, why can't you gentlemen live and let live?

If MHG turns out on top, I'll play happily by their rules.
Yea, this whole thing sucks, but your version of the good stuff is just as tainted.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #39 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Well if your going to insist on pushing the FGU label onto a fanzine I guess I will have to ask that my article be pulled. Dom I would really rather not have my article in there if AK's FGU scenario gets in.

AK, you are a member of the MHG forum, they have offered to let you publish your stuff with a compatibility license. I don't want to dredge up that whole argument again and I realize you need to make a buck, but you didn't need to push this issue onto a fanzine that is going to be free to all. It just wasn't necessary.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 6:01pm by Duroon »  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #40 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Grow up.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #41 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Actually I am trying to be very grown up about this, the fanzine has permission from Monkey House Games which could be withdrawn if your FGU propaganda gets put in the zine. I have stated my opinion of FGU and my wholehearted support of MHG. If the zine is going to allow FGU material in blatant disregard to MHG's documented trademark I want no part of it. It's nothing against you personally AK, I imagine your material is quite good, many have said so. I appreciate that you are doing what you think is right as well and I am not going to argue the point with you. But I won't contribute if FGU has any involvement with the zine.

IP Logged

Lurker from another forum
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #42 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Actually both FGU and MHG have trademark applications in place. I just read about it at Critical Fumble. I tried to post a link but it looks like I don't have privlidges to do so yet. I got a dialogue box saying I can't post links.

At any rate, MHG might put out press releases saying it is the sole owner of the trademark, but it doesn't. The trademark office has both FGU and MHG listed as applicants. Putting out a press release don't make something legally approved yet. no offense intended to MHG.

There's some good discussion happening about this topic at other forums. Smiley

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #43 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I just looked it up and your right, FGU apparently filed for the trademark a little over a month after MHG did. The wording of the applications is nearly identical.

IP Logged

Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #44 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:02pm:
I just looked it up and your right, FGU apparently filed for the trademark a little over a month after MHG did. The wording of the applications is nearly identical.

So maybe everything out of the words of Brent the Lawyer isn't 100 percent the gospel truth 100 percent of the time.  Huh

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #45 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Number one, your hiding behind the moniker of "lurker from another forum", wtf?!?

Secondly, why would FGU need to file at all if they are the owner of the trademark like they say they are. They wouldn't need to file unless they let the trademark lapse due to not publishing or protecting it as a publisher is supposed to. Which means to me, that MHG's filing is legit and FGU is trying to scramble in order to get it back now that it is worth something again. Either way I wouldn't buy water from FGU if I was dieing of thirst, that's simply my opinion of the company at this point. AK's products could be the best adventures ever written for V&V, I'll never play them while they are being published by FGU.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:15pm by Duroon »  
IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #46 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I was unaware of the trademark application by FGU. well now I am. That does not change my opinion that Jeff Dee and Jack Herman are and should be the legitimate owners of V&V. I'm not a lawyer and obviously this will need to be sorted out by lawyers.

For over 20 years, from 1987 to recently, FGU sat on V&V. They doled out whatever miniscule royalties they had to but essentially they failed to promote the game with new product, grow the market, advertise or in any way actually support the game. Continuing to reprint limited quantities of old stock (or putting it out in PDF format, which may or more not constitute it being "in print") does not qualify as being an active publisher. They probably cost the creators a lot of money by burying the game like that.

That alone makes me far more inclined to support MHG.

Allen

P.S. I did return to correct my misconception regarding the trademark issue. I still have no intention of supporting the fanzine under the present situation.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:25pm by Allen Shock »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #47 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I am still working on my article for the fanzine.   It will be fun.  And thats the bottom line.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #48 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
  I usually don't chime in on these sections but I'm a bit confused. It was already stated right from the beginning that The Fanzine was supposed to be both fun and free.

Great Idea for everyone involved. There are individuals who all want to make contributions each in their own ways and someone actually just came up with starting the whole thing because they love the game. I guess I'm just confused what all the issues everyone has with each other are.

I've been told that since I'm not really used to going on Forums that I should see how much arguing goes on all over them. Any kind of forum, not just V&V. I guess I'm still a Virgin when it comes to that. I thought the whole point was to enjoy the game, comics and other related thoughts.

So people want to post free ideas for all to enjoy and another individual wants to also do that but also put his mark on it for the future. Big deal. I would say that everyone takes all this way too seriously but it seems that everyone on these boards has been taking the game seriously for a very long time. If you all hadn't then it would have died out long ago and there would be no discussion over rights at this point in time. The game would be dead.

So all in all the Forum is filled with people who enjoy the game and have been keeping it alive for many years now.

Why not just enjoy it and leave it at that?

Of course you could continue to snipe at each other. I could always use a good read.

Jim Griffin

The Oni

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 9:39pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #49 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
I will tell you that Mr. Rose admitted to me he "still doesn't have all the facts". So please, don't demonize FGU for doing what it can... and more importantly, take food out of my kids' mouth before this is decided in a court of law. Mr. Rose also said he'd like to get this settled; he has to protect his clients it doesn't mean they're right.

I am submitting my piece for the fanzine. I ask only that you enjoy it.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:07am by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #50 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen, first off, I'm going to politely ask that all the arguing be taken to another thread, as this is not what I set this thread up for.

Second off, when I put out the idea of creating a FREE, (as you it's not costing any of you a freaking dime), fanzine, it was to help support a game I've enjoyed for decades, and to provide another outlet for people who want to contribute to V&V's recent resurgence. The idea isn't to take a dump on MHG, FGU, or anyone involved in the creation of V&V materials. This is supposed to be fun guys.

With that said, anyone who wishes to contribute, be it FGU, MHG, anyone working for contract for either of them, a fan, a pig dressed in a mini-skirt, is free to do so, as long as the contribution meets the very basic guidelines I put out. If you don't feel as though you can support the book, that's your choice, as I'm not going to hold a gun to anyone's head, nor am I going to beg you to check it out. But I do think you'll be missing out on what will hopefully be something you might actually like.

Also, I'll respect Drosta's wishes, and not post his article, which is a shame, because I feel he does excellent work, and has some very good tips to pass along to novices like me. Hopefully, at some point in future, all of this will be worked out, and we can just get back to enjoying V&V.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:35am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #51 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:30pm:
Hopefully, at some point in future, all of this will be worked out, and we can just get back to enjoying V&V. 

I agree. Cool

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #52 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
I am not too fond of how you described me in my mini skirt.   I have feelings too.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #53 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:41pm:
I am not too fond of how you described me in my mini skirt.   I have feelings too.

Yes, you do, and I apologize. But you forgot to shave you legs before hand,  so my description of you was less than appealing. Plus, that color does nothing to bring out the highlights in your eyes.  Wink

Seriously guys, I know people have strong feelings about this game, and so do I, but all this arguing amongst the fans does what? Nothing but create ill will. Let the people who publish the game, work this out, and lets stick to gaming.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:49pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #54 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Tell me more about my eyes... Cheesy

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #55 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:48pm:
Tell me more about my eyes... Cheesy

I would, but I don't want you better half getting jealous. It could lead to an international incident, and bring US/Canadian relations to a new low. And what would the US do without being able to cheaply produce US TV shows north of the border? 
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:51pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #56 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:13pm:
Number one, your hiding behind the moniker of "lurker from another forum", wtf?!?
Not hiding. I just didn't have anthing more creative to say. I was trying to be honest. Most people don't use their real names, uh, ... Drosta??? You guys can buy from whatever company you want. I just stopped by to point out Chimaera's point about the trademark since it seems like that seems to be an ongoing discussion here.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:41am by Lurker from another forum »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #57 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:40am
Print Post  
OK guys let me make this clear. I'm not here to argue. I'm just trying to put out a decent fan create magazine, that people will enjoy. I'm not trying to thumb my nose at anyone, give them the electronic bird, or piss in their Cheerios. If you want to check out what I manage to cobble together, that's great. If not, guess what, that's cool too. I'm not going to get mad at you for having an opinion that differs from mine. If I think you've got a cool idea, or that you posted something I enjoyed reading about, I'm going to tell you so. But unless Jeff, Jack, or FGU asks me not to put this thing out, I'm going to do it.

YIM  
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #58 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Lurker from another forum wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:40am:
Not hiding. I just didn't have anthing more creative to say. I was trying to be honest. Most people don't use their real names, uh, ... Drosta??? 

Real name is Jim, if your interested. I go by Drosta on some forums, Duroon on others, and Jim on still others (pdxdnd.org where I am the organizer of the group).

Dom, the stance you are taking is the one I hoped everyone could take on the fanzine and not try and push a personal agenda. That being said I apologize for pushing mine in this thread. I also will relent on what I said previously, the article I wrote is the first thing in a very long time I have written hoping that other people may read it. I would be honored if you include it in the zine but would understand if you don't want my input there at this point.

AK, I apologize, I know your trying to go forward with V&V as an author and hope you have success in that. My opinions have been expressed enough on the FGU vs MHG debate and I would rather move on at this point than continue to argue. The legal issues will get sorted by the people being paid for that sort of work.

p.s. If you're wondering what in the heck I am posting this at such an ungodly hour for, I am up getting ready for my flight to GenCon where there will be three, THREE, games of V&V run over the next few days!

Here is to one of the best games I have ever gotten to play, may it continue to have such a devoted fan base for many years to come!
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2010 at 5:44am by Duroon »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #59 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Jim, no worries man, I'm cool with whatever decision you want  to make, and your input is always appreciated. With that said the 1st issue is shaping up to be pretty good.

YIM  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #60 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Jim,
It's no sweat, just want to see the plants grow...
Have fun at GenCon (sooOOOOooo jealous Tongue)
I look forward to reading your experience there as I have never in my life been able to get to that great con in the east.
(forget the label I work for and just enjoy the good stuff, later on labels won't matter much)
Peace all.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #61 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
So when is the pub date for the fanzine?
>.>

<.<
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #62 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 1:17pm:
So when is the pub date for the fanzine?
>.>

<.<
Roll Eyes

As of right now, I want to have it out no later than the 2nd week of September. Than every quarter after that.

YIM  
IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #63 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Well Gents and Ladies, I am back from GenCon and after I take a day to collect myself I will get working on a play report for my game last Wednesday night, which was awesome by the way! Best. Vacation. Ever!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #64 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:43am:
Well Gents and Ladies, I am back from GenCon and after I take a day to collect myself I will get working on a play report for my game last Wednesday night, which was awesome by the way! Best. Vacation. Ever!

We're looking forward to hearing about it, Drosta!    Smiley

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #65 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Would love to hear about GenCon as well!

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #66 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Oops!  I *bumped* into this thread while searching the forum!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #67 - May 7th, 2012 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Do to some "issues", the fanzine got back burnered.

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #68 - May 7th, 2012 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
It seems to me that people have calmed down.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #69 - May 8th, 2012 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Until some other issues get worked out, I'm sitting on the stuff that people submitted. Until then, lets just use the forum.

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools

>