Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Armor (Read 9959 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Armor
Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
OK, here's something I've been kicking around. While I've never really had an issue with the way Armor works, in the game, I know of a couple of people think it should work in a fashion similar to Invulnerability. So here's my idea. Every full five points of armor a character has, would function as 1 point of invulnerability. So a character with 25 points of Armor would have the equivalent of 5 points of Invulnerability (you'd need to do at least five points of damage, per turn, if you want to damage the armor), while a character with 24 points of Armor, would only have four points of armor, but, the armor would still be ablative. Every point of damage that penetrates the armor, would knock off 1 point of armor, thereby reducing its effectiveness, as it takes more damage. 

Example: Tank's battle armor has an ADR or 90, which would provide him with the equivalent of 18 points of Invulnerability. During a battle with his arch-nemesis, Firepower, he's hit with a missile barrage, and sustains 24 points of damage. Since his armor is fully intact, he'd "ignore" the first 20 points of damage that turn. But, six points get through, dropping his ADR to 84. Since he doesn't have a full additional five points of Armor, he'd only have the equivalent of 16 points of Invulnerability the next turn.

Does this sound workable to you guys, or would it unbalance the game?
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:20pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Armor
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
I let the character with armor roll with one tenth their adr score added to what they normally would be able to roll with.

So if Tank had 90 ADR and 100 hits, the could potentially roll with 19 damage if he was hit.

It gives armor an extra "umph".

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I think you mean "..90 ADR and 100 Power Points".
Rolling with damage is based on Power Score is it not?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:55pm:
I let the character with armor roll with one tenth their adr score added to what they normally would be able to roll with.

So if Tank had 90 ADR and 100 hits, the could potentially roll with 19 damage if he was hit.

It gives armor an extra "umph".

Would that be in addition to the mod I posted above, or is it something you've already implemented in your game?

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Yes Storm, I meant power.

And Dsumner, its a house rule I use.  Otherwise I feel armor just gets used up too quick.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:20pm:
Yes Storm, I meant power.

And Dsumner, its a house rule I use.  Otherwise I feel armor just gets used up too quick.

So, do you think the Armor modification would work?

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Uh- no extensive experience with GMing here...

It looks like both ideas are variations of the same one.  John's is potentially more powerful from the sound of it...

Great minds...etc.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
I would use one or the other, otherwise its too powerful.  But I would definatly use one of them.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Im sure it's just late and Im not seeing it, but how do you account for armor protecting you versus everything the whole turn as opposed to Invulnerability only protecting up to a set amount?

Not to mention I know Armor's ablative properties are a bit bothersome accept you need to take into account either A) you get a butt load of hit points with Armor or B) a pretty good chance at bonus powers

vs standard Invulnerability thats not so bad
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2010 at 12:46am by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 12:42am:
Im sure it's just late and Im not seeing it, but how do you account for armor protecting you versus everything the whole turn as opposed to Invulnerability only protecting up to a set amount?

I'm trying to simulate how I see armor working in a lot of comics. So I'm figuring it would work like a modified version of the SR rules, where if you don't do a minimum amount of damage, to the armor, each turn, they just blow it off. But, unlike Invulnerability, which would stay the same, armor would get weaker, and weaker as it takes more damage. And the rules that cover additional devices, built into the armor, would still be in effect. 

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2011 at 5:01pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Realistically = great.
Game balance = horrible.

Game balance always comes before realism. Armor is already an INSANELY tough power. Picture John the hero.

Arch Enemy A - HP 670, Power 100, Armor 0
Arch Enemy B - HP 120, Power 100, Armor 125
John is a martial artist, and has a 15 to hit with 1D8+18 points of damage. John approaches his arch-enemy A from behind and unleashes a kick to the head!

With a +4 from behind he has a 19 to hit... pretty reasonable he hits both times.
Rolls... 4.... 22... 88% chance of unconsciousness! Unless of course he rolls a 7 or 8 for damage, meaning there is a 100% chance of KO.

Now same scenario on Arch-enemy B. John kicks to the back of the head... rolls... hit! now for damage... 6.... 24 damage!
CRACK! He put a huge ass dent in his helmet!

Now Supervillain B turns around and the two go toe to toe, with STILL over 100 armor remaining.

See my point? Armor is already incredibly strong. If you break 100 ADR, IMHO the most powerful defense in the game (in addition to the weight>basic hit> hit point gains that Armor A provides).

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 10:28am
Print Post  
I think DSumner and John (the SysOp, not the hero in the example you used) are actually more concerned with "probabilities".

Armor absorbs damage on a percentage chance.  Die rolls typically roll about halfway (ie: d6 usually rolls approx 3, d8 usually rolls approx 4, etc).

This means that as long as you have an ADR above 50 the armor is going to be wonderful.  But as the ADR drops below 50 it's usefulness drops off FAST.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2010 at 10:29am by Display Name »  

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Here's another alternate method to reflect the superior construction or durability of Super Armors.

I was thinking that when you get Armor you can roll  2D10 to establish a Personal Structural Rating for the Armor. So if you have an SR of 10 then you ignore any  damage below 10 points. If the damage is more than that it all goes through and has a normal chance to be absorbed from the Armor's ADR rating.

This reflects the armor's ability to ignore several atacks up to a certain point before it starts to take damage.

In addition you can increase the initial SR by basically purchasing another D10 roll to add by either dropping a power or adding a weakness.

For Armor B you can use the inventing system to increase the SR of the armor. Each successful attempt adds 1D4 more structure points.

Of course a maximum SR would need to be set. I would suggest a SR of 30 as the limit.

What do you guys think?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Let me give it some thought, but I definately agree about the SR should be capped at 30.

YIM  
IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
The SR thing is very cool... but again... it is already incredibly powerful. Are you guys going to amp up other powers to compensate?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Another possibility, that takes into account Nemo's concerns (which I totally get), would be to still have an SR type rating, and then not allow damage from attacks that do that amount (or less).

Instead of SR (which is already used in the game), it could be called PR (Penetration Rating or Protection Rating, or something).  PR probably doesn't work either since the game often categorizes Power rates as PR.  How about DR (Defense Rating)?

I'm thinking it could be 1/10th of the ADR score.

So a character with 120 ADR would have a DR of 12.

But an ADR of 50 would have a DR of 5.

That way it's simple to figure out all the time (just at a glance).

I'm thinking that all amounts of damage up to and equaling the DR would be ineffective.  That way when a gun gets fired at Iron Man's Armor (which is probably 130 or something) he would ignore it (unless they do over 13 points of damage).

It does add a lot of power to an already powerful Power...
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2010 at 5:36pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Majestic,

What do you think of the ADR system as is?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #17 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 5:31pm:
Another possibility, that takes into account Nemo's concerns (which I totally get), would be to still have an SR type rating, and then not allow damage from attacks that do that amount (or less).

Instead of SR (which is already used in the game), it could be called PR (Penetration Rating or Protection Rating, or something).  PR probably doesn't work either since the game often categorizes Power rates as PR.  How about DR (Defense Rating)?

I'm thinking it could be 1/10th of the ADR score.

So a character with 120 ADR would have a DR of 12.

But an ADR of 50 would have a DR of 5.

That way it's simple to figure out all the time (just at a glance).

I'm thinking that all amounts of damage up to and equaling the DR would be ineffective.  That way when a gun gets fired at Iron Man's Armor (which is probably 130 or something) he would ignore it (unless they do over 13 points of damage).

It does add a lot of power to an already powerful Power...

That's pretty similar to what I have posted, but divides by 10 instead of five.

YIM  
IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 3:55pm:
The SR thing is very cool... but again... it is already incredibly powerful. Are you guys going to amp up other powers to compensate? 

I don't think Armor is as powerful as you think. Yes Armor A can regenerate over time and adds to body weight to give lots of Hit Points but once you get down to 5o armor or less your chances of that armor protecting get slim.
With Armor B not only do you have to spend funds to get the ADR repaired but any powers that are linked to the Armor can be trashed as the armor gets beaten. For an Iron Man type character that is devastating. 

Of course Ice Armor and enough movement so it constantly replenishes makes its broken, but that's another conversation.

IMHO Armor is no where near as good as invulnerability and I really don't like the ADR system as is.

I think I would have preferred that the Armor provides a level of Invulnerability and for any damage that gets past the armor there is a % chance that the armor's Invulnerability rating is decreased by 1/10 th or something until repaired/regrown with an equal chance that any devices in the armor can also be damaged.

Of course you also need to take into consideration the power level of the campaign your playing. In John's campaign we can get hit by attacks that inflict well over 100 points of damage, (Usually to Marshall Strong at the beginning of any encounter Wink ) by some of these villains so regular armor is not going to last long in many of these cases so its a good thing that John customized it a bit.

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:41pm
Print Post  

Oh my goodness. 100 damage? Did you clowns give behemoth 'roids?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Ok, here's a sight mod. to my original post. Insted of Armor dividing the Armor's ADR by 5, divide by 10, to find out how much Invulnerability it would provide. If you have 100 points of armor, it'd provide 10 points of Invulnerability per turn. So if you took more than 10 points damage, in a turn, it'd start knocking the armor's ADR down. DOes this sound more reasonable?

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Sounds much better. Does the IR (invulnerability rating) stay constant? Also does this mean you should +1d10 to the real Invulnerability?

Why don't we see the added hit points in Armor A or the powers in Armor B as appropriate compensation for Armors "inferiority" to Invulnerability

Wow! Really? a 100 points to the kisser in one smack eh?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Stormdance is leaving out that HE did 125 damage to the bad guy on his first attack!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:59pm:
Does the IR (invulnerability rating) stay constant? Also does this mean you should +1d10 to the real Invulnerability?

Were these questions addressed to me? If so, the IR (or whatever you want to call it), would be reduced as the armor was damaged. If a character started off with 100 points of armor, he'd have 10 points of Invulnerability. Five turns later, his armor has been reduced to 80, so he'd only have 8 points of Invulnerability. And I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking in the second question.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:01pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #24 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
I use my idea where the ADR of the armor allows for extra rolling based on 1/10th of the ADR because it gives extra protection but it also cost  something.  The player can choose to loose the extra power or the ADR.
  More choice for the player. 
  I also like it cause as explained above, Armor at 100 or 90 or even 70 is amazing but you know how many NPC's or players were beaten bloody with 55 adr left?   In most of the fights, half of the armor really didn't come into play.   I feel this is a good compromise.

I would allow the structural rated armor like Stormdance says if another power were dropped or if armor were rolled twice.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:14pm:
Majestic,

What do you think of the ADR system as is?

Honestly, I've used it for nearly 30 years as is, and it's always worked fine.  I understand, though, that having it completely ablative doesn't really mesh that well with what we see in the comics.

In other words, if Iron Man was laying there sleeping, and some children snuck up and threw tiny rocks at him for hours (doing the equlivalent of 1 point of damage each), but never hitting him hard enough to wake him up:

- In the comics (and the movies) Iron Man would still have his Armor at full strength.  Those little 1 point pings on his armor (even by much stronger bullets) don't really do anything.

- In V&V Tony Stark would wake up completely naked, as his Armor would be completely gone.    Cheesy

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #26 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Over on one of the Yahoo groups Cougar came up with what I think is a pretty elegant solution (though I admit that 1/10th is pretty simple math that is also easy).

He suggested that you simply give any Armor B a rating equivalent to the SR of what it is made of.  So if your Armor is made of steel, then you have an SR of 11.  A thug attacking with a handgun has to do at least 11 points of damage or the armor ignores it.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:24pm:
Over on one of the Yahoo groups Cougar came up with what I think is a pretty elegant solution (though I admit that 1/10th is pretty simple math that is also easy).

He suggested that you simply give any Armor B a rating equivalent to the SR of what it is made of.  So if your Armor is made of steel, then you have an SR of 11.  A thug attacking with a handgun has to do at least 11 points of damage or the armor ignores it.

That is an excellent idea.  I like that.   I use it on vehicles, their hull is pretty much their structural rating, so why not armor?
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2010 at 1:51pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #28 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Also,  I don't know if this is kosher with the rules, but if  guy punches a guy with armor and ALL the damage comes off the armor, not one power or hit point from the armored guy is lost; then the puncher's fist takes damage also.   Its like hitting a solid steel wall.

If the armored guy takes one off his power score or hit points, then I there is no reflected damage back, as I consider the target to be soft; it moved in some way so that it was not a ridged wall.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Armor

1 Point of Invincibility(Like SR) rating for every ten points of Armor.

I would say the rating has to be put against the actaul attack and not the total attacks in the round like invulnerability would be. It seems the idea is to reflect the type of material the Armor is made out of or how well it is made. 20 average Joes hitting a 12" I Beam with wooden baseball bats are not going to do any damage at all to the metal because none of them are strong enough to damage it. Attacking together does not help. Just break the bats.

Try this idea.

Invincibility equals on tenth the total ADR.

The percentage roll against the total ADR tells you if the attack goes against the SR/Invincibility rating or against the ADR.

If the percentage is under the ADR but over the SR then the difference is how much the Armor takes in damage and lowers the percentage next time.

Each successful attack that goes over the SR is lowering the ADR points and therefore the percentage.

Example

Armor man has 80 ADR and gets hit with a power blast for 19 damage. He rolls a 60 and the first 8 points come of his SR. The remaining 11 points would go against his Power and then Armor. However he chooses. Whatever came off the Armor just lowered his percent to basically save on the next attack.

Example 2

Thug Man has an ADR of 40. He is basically wearing a chest protector and some leggings.

Joe guy hits him for 8 damage. He rolls a 42 and therefore the SR has no effect because he got punched in the face and not the chest where he is actually protected.

Same thing happens in example one as the ADR decreases. The opponent is knowcking it down and finding holes, therefore bypassing the SR/Invincibility, whatever you want to call it.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #30 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
I like the type of material used being its Structural Rating.  I would use this rule so that everyone just doesn't pick Adamantimun so they have a 30.

The higher the rating, the more it cost to fix!  I would multiply the $1000 a point of ADR by 1/10 of the structural rating.  After all  Steel is more expensive than ceramic.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #31 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Sorry Dom yes I was asking you.

My second question was badly trying to ask how do we fix Invulnerability if we power up Armor in this way

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 10:45am
Print Post  
By changing it from 3d10 to 3d20!  Smiley

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #33 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Invulnerability will still be better even if Armor is powered up a bit. It's protection isn't ablative and doesn't need to be repaired or regenerated.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #34 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
No, your right its Invulnerability still is superior in that way. I guess its all a matter of perspective. For instance I could never imagine being able to roll 125 pts damage in 1 attack, so balancing that with a defense of equal levels is also unimaginable.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #35 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Just because you amp one thing up, it doesn't mean you have to amp another.   Some powers are more powerful than others.    I like that the game allows unbalanced players.  Its more like comics.    Thor is more powerful than  Tigra, yet they are on the same team.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #36 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 10:07am
Print Post  
No problem with different power levels. Your right it's one of the cool things about V&V. I just never played in a campaign where any of the characters had the ability to do 100+ points in a single attack. There probably is one, but I can't think of a published character that can hit that level. Even a character like Mountain Man does close to 100 max I think - to lazy to check book Wink

(related topic) strangely enough the first version of my character for Cougar's Megalopolis campaign had Armor B, Adaptation, Bio-enhancment,  and Hgt Str B. It turned out The combination really put him over the top. You take out anyone of those except Armor B and he was still tough as nails. You take out the Armor B and suddenly he was much more manageable.

(off topic) he let the character keep the Armor B and switch some other stuff, and suddenly he was less powerful but more interesting - thumbs up for collaboration)

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #37 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 10:13am
Print Post  
What is bio-enhancement?

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #38 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Mutant Power: Biological Enhancement, 2d4+2 to Str, End, Agl each

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #39 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Okay, after giving this some thought, how about this. For every 10 full points of Armor, it would have a SR of 1. So if a character had an Armor with an ADR of 120, his Armor would have a SR of 12 and it would ignore any attack that did less than 12 points of damage. The Armor could still be damaged as normal (any damage that penetrates would reduce its ADR), so it'd become less effective as it sustained more damage. So if the character sustains an attack that does 20 points of damage, it ignore the first 12 points, and the other 8 would penetrate the armor, reducing its ADR to 112. One thing I would suggest though, is that GMs limit the amount of armor a character could have, so that things don't get out of hand.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2010 at 2:01am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #40 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:48am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Nov 21st, 2010 at 11:31pm:
Okay, after giving this some thought, how about this. For every 10 full points of Armor, it would have a SR of 1. So if a character had an Armor with an ADR of 120, his Armor would have a SR of 12 and it would ignore any attack that did less than 12 points of damage. The Armor could still be damaged as normal (any damage that penetrates would reduce its ADR), so it'd become less effective as it sustained more damage. So if the character sustains an attack that does 20 points of damage, it ignore the first 8 points, and the other 8 would penetrate the armor, reducing its ADR to 112. One thing I would suggest though, is that GMs limit the amount of armor a character could have, so that things don't get out of hand. 

I think I like where you're going with this.  I'm not following how it would ignore the first 8 points in your example.  Wouldn't it ignore the first 12.

I would be more inclined - if the character took more than the SR - to make the Armor take none of it (like it is now), but I can see the logic either way.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #41 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:48am:
I think I like where you're going with this.  I'm not following how it would ignore the first 8 points in your example.  Wouldn't it ignore the first 12.

Whoops... sorry about that, it should be 12 not 8.

Majestic wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:48am:
I would be more inclined - if the character took more than the SR - to make the Armor take none of it (like it is now), but I can see the logic either way.

I don't want Armor to be uber powerful, so I figure this should be a fair trade off.

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #42 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Is it still the same where the SR goes down when the armor sustains damage?

ie: after being reduced to ADR 112 the new SR becomes 11?

The SR concept is cool because it allows the armor to continue being effective even when the percentage roll to absorb damage fails.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2010 at 8:24am by Display Name »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #43 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 8:23am:
Is it still the same where the SR goes down when the armor sustains damage?

ie: after being reduced to ADR 112 the new SR becomes 11?

The SR concept is cool because it allows the armor to continue being effective even when the percentage roll to absorb damage fails.

Correct, it's SR would be 11, but instead of the % roll to see if it would absorb the damage, it would work like invulnerability.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #44 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
So the armor would always absorb the damage?

Although I think it adds to the math homework, I like the ablative concept, but if there's no chance of damage bypassing the Armor then that's seems awfully powerful

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #45 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 5:48pm:
So the armor would always absorb the damage?

Although I think it adds to the math homework, I like the ablative concept, but if there's no chance of damage bypassing the Armor then that's seems awfully powerful

It would only absorb damage up to it's SR. So if a character's Armor had an ADR of 100, it's SR would be 10, and as long as it isn't damaged, it'll always ignore the first 10 points of damage an attack did. But, anything over the initial 10 points would begin whittling away at the ADR. So, if the character was attacked, and sustained 15 points of damage, the first 10 points would be ignored, and the armor would take 5 points of damage, reducing its ADR to 95, and its SR to 9. The next turn he's hit for 13 points of damage, and his Armor would ignore the fist 9 points, and sustain 4 points of damage, reducing his ADR to 91, and an SR of 9. While it would make Armor more powerful, I think it more accurately portrays the way you see Armor work in comics, and still remains playable.

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #46 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
...as the ADR get lower (and damage absorption rolls started failing), the armor would continue absorbing damage at a declining rate.

40 ADR would have SR of 4, 30 ADR would have SR of 3, etc.

Basically you won't end up like the character John mentioned earlier:
John wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 4:30pm:
...but you know how many NPC's or players were beaten bloody with 55 adr left?   In most of the fights, half of the armor really didn't come into play.   I feel this is a good compromise.

...which is why he had his own house rule about the armor.

If a less powerful alternative is sought, how about this:
Character uses 1 action and saves vs Agl to block an attack with armor.  Normal PR costs would apply, but the character would not receive an evasion bonus.

The whole "ADR" thing can be justified this way: when a character has taken enough damage to bring their ADR down 50% (ie: 100 ADR taken down to 50) then the armor is only undamaged on the lower portion of their body.  This makes it harder to take damage from "typical" attacks that are aimed at the upper body.

That seems like the thought process behind ADR...

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #47 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I don't know. I think Dom's homebrewis fine enough, I just would continue to make the player roll %dice to see if the Armor actually absorbed the damage that got past the SR
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2010 at 7:00pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #48 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 6:59pm:
I don't know. I think Dom's homebrewis fine enough, I just would continue to make the player roll %dice to see if the Armor actually absorbed the damage that got past the SR

Hmmm....I'll give it some thought tonight. I think a couple of months worth of playtesting might be the best thing.

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #49 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
A couple of months worth of testing is DEFINITELY the best thing!  Oh yeah, and testing the ADR would be good too!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #50 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
I think I will offer my players a choice between flexible armor ( allows the extra rolling like I described above)  or fixed armor with the structural rating.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #51 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 2:24am
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 11:25pm:
I think I will offer my players a choice between flexible armor ( allows the extra rolling like I described above)  or fixed armor with the structural rating.

Let me know what they think.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #52 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
I'm bumping this up, as I'm still tinkering with it, and might make a slight modification. Also, has anyone tried this out? Or would be willing to give it a shot?

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #53 - Jan 4th, 2024 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Bumping this as I'm tinkering with it. I've tweaked the writeup and want to see how it works during game play.

YIM  
IP Logged

>