Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Possibly running Death Duel with the Destroyers/Island of Doctor Apocalypse (Read 3874 times)
Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Possibly running Death Duel with the Destroyers/Island of Doctor Apocalypse
Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:18am
Print Post  
So every 3 or 4 months. NerdNYC.com runs Recess, a day for all kinds of gaming (Board, Card & RPG). Because they didn't run it around Thanksgiving, they're planning a 2 day event at the end of January. I'm running one game of BASH (Basic Action Super Heroes), but I'm also considering running some V&V. I haven't run the game in well over 25 years, and a few people expressed interest in maybe playing after I posted a thread about being in John's game.

Since I have almost all the old modules (but never ran any, as I used to convert most of the villains to Champions, which I ran more often), I am considering running Death Duel with the Destroyers and Island of Doctor Apocalypse.

I had a few questions for anyone who might have run them. I'm curious if I could run both within a 4 hour time frame. I was skimming my copies before heading to work tonight, and Death Duel looks to be fairly short (the battle with the robot, then going after the Destroyers in their base). If I could run both in 4 hours, then I'd run them together with a set of about 6 pregens (I figure 1 for each Destroyer).

Any tips on levels for the pregens would be helpful too. Looking at the Destroyers, I figure the minimum would be level 3, but as Apocalypse is level 12, I might want to make them a little higher (maybe 4 minimum?)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Re: Possibly running Death Duel with the Destroyers/Island of Doctor Apocalypse
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 2:41am
Print Post  
I tried running Death Duel at an event and also figured it would be a short one. Two hours into it and they had barely finished off the first fight. Don't forget to take into account that you are likely to have a number of people at the table who don't know the V&V system or haven't played it in so long that it's going to take a lot of time to get rolling.

I would say four hours is good for Death Duel alone unless you get a bunch of players that really know the V&V combat system, then you could probably pull it off in two.

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Very solid adventure choices. Let us know what your templates are for your pre-gens, I'm sure we all would love to help you out with modifying them!

4 hours seems like a bit of a crunch, especially with 6 players. My guess would be unless you have fluent players, each adventure would take 5 hours minimum.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 4:29am
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 2:41am:
I tried running Death Duel at an event and also figured it would be a short one. Two hours into it and they had barely finished off the first fight. Don't forget to take into account that you are likely to have a number of people at the table who don't know the V&V system or haven't played it in so long that it's going to take a lot of time to get rolling.

I would say four hours is good for Death Duel alone unless you get a bunch of players that really know the V&V combat system, then you could probably pull it off in two.

Really? Were they just trying to slug it out with the robot? I only skimmed it before I left for work, but I thought there were a few easy ways inside to take out the crew?

I'm just worried that if I run each one in a slot, and it runs short, people might be a little disappointed.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 4:39am
Print Post  
Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 3:19am:
Very solid adventure choices. Let us know what your templates are for your pre-gens, I'm sure we all would love to help you out with modifying them!

That I will definitely do. I'm going to be using some art that the artist for the ICONS rpg did (he's done a bunch of commissions that he posted over on rpg.net, so I have a nice folder of characters to choose from). I know at least one will be a super strong type, and another a Batman-like character. I could definitely use advice on any powers that would be useful during either adventure.

Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 3:19am:
4 hours seems like a bit of a crunch, especially with 6 players. My guess would be unless you have fluent players, each adventure would take 5 hours minimum. 

Each slot is only 4 hours, so that's all I have to work with. The event is at a place NerdNYC rents in Manhattan, so we have to be out of there by a certain time. This isn't like a convention, where you can play later into the night for some events

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 7:48am
Print Post  
The thing that could eat up a lot of your available time is character creation, especially if people aren't familiar with the rules (combat, movement, etc. aren't that complicated, and can be picked up on the fly). But if you've got a batch o brand new players, or people who haven't played since the 80's, then its going to take a while to get them to work up their characters, and that's not going to give you much time to actually run the game.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 10:23am
Print Post  
That won't be a problem as I am using pregens. Having premade characters is typical for these events.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2010 at 10:37am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 4:29am:
Duroon wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 2:41am:

Really? Were they just trying to slug it out with the robot? I only skimmed it before I left for work, but I thought there were a few easy ways inside to take out the crew?

I'm just worried that if I run each one in a slot, and it runs short, people might be a little disappointed. 

There are ways inside but they aren't supposed to be readily evident right away. They started out slugging away at the robot. One player went down almost immediately from that. After that I let one of the characters that had weakness detection discover the hidden hatch. From there it was a slug fest inside the machine. One of the major problems was "analysis paralysis" on the part of the players and them trying to develop a plan before the combat even started. Also I had all of two players at the table that had played V&V before and it had been years since either of them had played, we stumbled on explaining the rules a lot. I think we could have finished up in four hours with Death Duel, unfortunately I was the one running the event and had only allotted myself two hours away from the main desk.

I ran Secret in the Swamp at GenCon this last summer and it took four and a half hours to get through. I ran through it with three different groups at home before hand and came up with combat tables for all NPC's and PC's along the way, that made combat go much faster.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Once the PCs actually get inside the robot, its not that tough of a foe. The problem is getting side of them to figure out they need to get inside the sucker, instead of slugging it out.

YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
The only thing I'm worried about is that I might have different players for each session, so that could be a quandary. Still, I guess I should plan to run each as a separate event just in case.

So any tips on useful powers for either scenario I should keep in mind for the pregens?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I'd say a good mix of offensive and defensive powers, with some general utility powers like flight, and Heightened Senses. Things like Invisibility, Teleportation, and Water Breathing can come in handy for getting to, and staying hidden on, Dr A's island. Electrical Control or Magnetic powers for dealing with the SLAMs. But all in all, pretty much anything can be useful in the hands of a creative player. I'm surprised at some of the stuff guys come up with, as I'd have never thought of using powers in certain ways.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
I would like to know more about Nerd Con and I would like to attend one if I could.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:56pm:
I would like to know more about Nerd Con and I would like to attend one if I could.

John,

It's actually called Recess. It's run by people from the forum known as NerdNYC.

They have a subforum just for Recess here. Because the space recess is held at is rented, people pay a small fee for the event (I think it's 20 for each day, but don't quote me on that). Since NerdNYC is a community (as almost everyone is from NYC or close by), they do a lot of various non-rpg get togethers, but this is something for the gamer Nerds. Before joining your group, this was my only real outlet for playing/running games GM's who run games (depending on how many) get in for free. It's usually just one day, but as they couldn't get the space for before Thanksgiving, they're planning a 2 day event (it's usually on a Saturday, so this time it's Saturday/Sunday, which means it doesn't conflict with your game if you run that weekend).

I have one game submitted, and I want to run V&V, but I'm not sure if running both modules might work. There's other stuff people want to see run, so I might have to either run something else V&V wise, or another game. I'm still undecided.

IP Logged

Nemo_the_Clown
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 1:44am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 1:03pm:
I'd say a good mix of offensive and defensive powers, with some general utility powers like flight, and Heightened Senses. Things like Invisibility, Teleportation, and Water Breathing can come in handy for getting to, and staying hidden on, Dr A's island. Electrical Control or Magnetic powers for dealing with the SLAMs. But all in all, pretty much anything can be useful in the hands of a creative player. I'm surprised at some of the stuff guys come up with, as I'd have never thought of using powers in certain ways. 

I would agree. Give (almost) every PC an energy attack (it is incredibly frustrating to wait forever in combat for your turn and then swing and miss), between 15 and 30 Agility (don't want someone super fast or someone super slow).

Any versatile powers would be excellent to work with. Force Field, Flight, Vibratory, etc.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 2:06am
Print Post  
So far I have 3 characters in mind. A batman type (with batarang like weapons), a super strong guy and a woman with cold powers. Will likely make one with Magnetic powers, so that covers 4 characters. Was considering a speedster with flame powers, so that leaves one more. Was considering a stretching character, as a counter to shapeshifter. I'm using art by a guy named Dan Houser, who did a bunch of commissions a few months back for people. He posted them over on rpg.net. He does stuff for ICONS. He's not bad (not great, but good enough for my needs), so I was going over images he did, and using those as the basis for my pregens

Not all the Destroyers have ranged attacks though, so I want to kind of even it out so people can fight a specific member of that group on a fairly even footing.

I'm also likely going to make changes to the scenarios a little. I all ready decided to skip the whole storm part at the start of Death Duel, and go right from Apocalypse's demand from the clouds. I also considered maybe giving him a few more villains on his island (maybe a few people the Destroyers got beforehand), and if so, removing some of the robots to even it out.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2010 at 2:08am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Nemo_the_Clown wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 1:44am:
I would agree. Give (almost) every PC an energy attack (it is incredibly frustrating to wait forever in combat for your turn and then swing and miss), between 15 and 30 Agility (don't want someone super fast or someone super slow).

Any versatile powers would be excellent to work with. Force Field, Flight, Vibratory, etc.

I'm not sure about everyone having an energy attack, as not everyone wants to play a blaster, but some sort of offensive good little number of offensive capabilities is always a plus. And as far as agility goes, I say let the chips fall where they may, if you get a low score, that's what you get. It'll force you to have to use your brain to come up with a way to make your character more effective in combat.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 2:06am:
I'm also likely going to make changes to the scenarios a little. I all ready decided to skip the whole storm part at the start of Death Duel, and go right from Apocalypse's demand from the clouds.

Hmmm...I actually think the storm, and the hysteria it generates, are cool bit of foreshadowing that establishes the mood. But, if you think you don't need it, skip it.

Gerry wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 2:06am:
I also considered maybe giving him a few more villains on his island (maybe a few people the Destroyers got beforehand), and if so, removing some of the robots to even it out.

I'd suggest using one or two of the Destroyers, as all of them might not be captured.

YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #17 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 3:36am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 2:30am:
I say let the chips fall where they may, if you get a low score, that's what you get. It'll force you to have to use your brain to come up with a way to make your character more effective in combat. 

I won't be randomly rolling for the characters. I realize it is the way the system is designed, but for a one shot, I prefer assigning everything, so that characters are not too weak (or too strong). Especially since I have predesigned concepts for certain characters, it's better to just write them up how I want them, because random rolling won't necessarily garner the abilities I want for these characters

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 9:08am
Print Post  
I already have a pregenerated character that I like to use for conventions and such.  I like him so much I actually made a costume for him.   I would like to play using my character.  He is called  The Naked Avenger.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I heard the Naked Avenger weilds a really small weapon.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
So basically, his schwartz is small?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Schwartz Smalls is his secret Identity.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #22 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Does he have side kick?

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Great modules you've picked, Gerry.  I would have to say Death Duel is far better for a Con than Island of Doc Apoc, though (IMHO).  I've run each of these numerous times (at least three each), and I recently (a couple of years ago) ran DD at a Con (in a five hour time block).

I played the starting part (with the storm and all), but then I'm a veteran V&V GM, and all of my players were experienced with the system as well.

A couple of pieces of advice that I would offer:

1) Pay attention to the time (actual time) as GM, and move things along as need be.  In other words, if the players get "analysis paralysis" (as Duroon put it), kick start things by having the players discover a way into the robot, or whatever.  You don't want to have ALL of the time spent only on the opening skirmish (fun though it may be).

2) Make sure the characters all have a chance to shine, and make sure none are too weak.  The two lamest things that a new player could be saddled with are a really low chance to hit and/or a really low Agility.  A character like Behemoth (any brick, really) might LOOK really cool and seem fun to play.  But if the other characters are moving three times to their one, and when they FINALLY get a chance to move, and then they roll decently (let's say a "10") and they miss, they are going to end up really frustrated.  Balance things out so that your HTH combatants do a solid amount of damage (but not obscene), and have a good chance of connecting (with Heightened Expertise and/or Natural Weaponry if needed).

3) As Duroon suggested, a trick that can REALLY speed up combat is to figure out all of the chances to hit ahead of time.  This can make combat "scream", as all the players have to do is tell you what they're doing and who they're attacking, and all YOU have do is cross-reference their attack with a particular defender and see a number.  That number (or less) is then what they need to roll with a d20.  Simple.  Quick.  Elegant.  No hunting around and looking at charts and doing math while the combat is rolling.  Your players will appreciate it, and - since you'll know all the characters ahead of time - it's just a matter of time of figuring things out beforehand (both for the Destroyers and the robot and the PCs) on what it takes for one character to hit another.

Best of luck, Gerry!  I think you've picked some fun adventures, and they should be a great deal of fun.  Be sure to tell us if you're going to go with The Island of Doctor Apocalypse, as - if you do - I'll have some hints and insights on what you can do to speed things up.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #24 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Majestic,

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely work out the combat info before hand. That will definitely speed things up. I am going to start a thread for the characters, so I can get people's advice on them (so I can tweak them before the game).

I did submit both to run, so it looks like I'll be running both games, 1 for each day of Recess. So if you have advice on running Island, I'd love to read it!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Part of my advice for IoDA is that it's a huge island (and thus there's just a ton of stuff for the characters to explore).  If I were running it in a four hour time block, I'd recommend 'forcing' things along a little more linear than the way the original module is set up.  In other words, rather than letting the characters wander about from place to place to discover and explore, I might have one event leading into another.  Perhaps they follow smoke to the native village and discover that it was just attacked, watch as a Guardian robot rises up from the deep, or hear a scream at the limestone caves which causes them to investigate.

The key would be (somewhat) forcing the action, or keeping the momentum of the train barelling down the track (sorry, I just saw Unstoppable last night  Wink).  This module does have so much good stuff, but the players could spend days exploring it if not pressed or given an appropriate McGuffin to chase.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2010 at 7:08pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

>