Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) An Explosion at the Bank! (Read 8906 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: An Explosion at the Bank!
Reply #35 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 11:45am
Print Post  
No he was brought back with all the others.  No man left behind!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #36 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
I was gonna say, Stormbringer was comin' back with a few tornadoes for you fuckers.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #37 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Now. The Moevian made sure you got home in one piece

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #38 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
File Lifted from A Glaring Commentary. 

I'm typing this on my laptop from the infirmary at Black Mesa. A lot has happened since my last entry.

After getting most of us back from the Shadow Dimension, I called CHESS for a pick up. A transport chopper arrived with some Knights, along with a man we call "The Octopus". Why is he called that*? Well, he kind of looks like Doctor Octopus from the Spiderman comic books, without the metallic tentacles. He's an autistic genius who builds most of the hi tech weapons and other equipment CHESS uses. He's far more intelligent than I am. He's off putting, but the man is one of the greatest scientific minds I know.

Anyway, he detects radiation on all of us, so we're ordered to stay by the vehicle. The Moevian does something shortly after (or at least it looked like he did; I didn't ask), and suddenly, the radiation is gone. The Knights ferry us back to Black Mesa, and I learn warped back somewhere in Utah.

I check in on whether Robson was taken into custody, and find out he got away before they could grab him. I'm convinced we have a mole in CHESS (again!). This is not good.

When we get back to Black Mesa, I exit my armor, and send it to my lab, so I can prep it for repairs. It took a slight beating when we fought the zomborgs, and the power cells are kind of low. After that, we're all taken to be examined, while Yuri (the last Russian we met in the Shadow Realm) and Startide are rushed to be treated for whatever killed Pavel and the Captain.

They run all kinds of routine tests on us, but the Moevian isn't being that cooperative. He keeps asking to be taken to his embassy, and like I did before, the medics tell him there is none. How does he not know all his people left Earth after the White Event?

I contact the liaison for the team I was once part of, but he's giving me the cold shoulder. I don't think they believe me when I tell them about the Slaad. While I'm on the phone with him, Amazon and Lamplighter show up. They're two more experienced metahumans working for CHESS. Amazon convinces the Moevian to go into quarantine, since he won't let them take his blood for testing. They leave afterwards, which is good cause Lamplighter freaks me out. As much as I sometimes envy those who have internal powers, I'm glad mine come from the armor. I'd rather be a human in a tin can that someone who looks like a human shaped amoeba wearing a green cloak!

The Octopus comes in as well, and tells me my armor will be fully repaired in about an hour or so. That guy is real creepy, but damn is he efficient!

Sometime later, a cook comes in, asking us what we want to eat. I decide on the Venison Meatloaf, when the cook starts suggesting we all try the Chili. For some reason, I start liking that idea, and Nemesis Kid is so excited, he goes to hi five the cook. Before he does, the Moevian yells out a warning, and Kid pulls back. The cook is acting strangely, trying to touch kid's face. Kid hits him, and shit hits the fan.

While Kid and the other guy (who I later learn calls himself Stormbringer) deal with the cook, I run out of the room, and get the guards. Except things turn for the worse because Kid and bringer have KILLED the fucking cook! Shit! This is bad. The guards are pointing their guns at them, and Kid pulls some crazy stunt you see in a kung fu movie, side stepping the Knight, and punching the butt of his rifle into his face, knocking him out. The other guard starts acting like the cook, and bringer goes invisible, and disarms him. He then shoots the Knight in the knee.

At this point, I hit the alarm, and go running to get my armor. I encounter Amazon and Lamplighter on the way, and try and tell them what is going on, but they ignore me. I get halfway to my armor when I'm telepathically contacted by Nexus, the powerful Psionic who works for CHESS. he orders me back to the lab without my armor, because he feels I can keep everyone calm. Yeah right, like that worked when i called in the knights! Still, he out ranks me, so I turn around, and head back the way I came.

I find Kid staggering in the hall, acting doped up. Anodyne must have healed him, which means he was hurt. I slap him a few times to get him out of it. Lamplighter staggers out of the room too, his inner light very dim. He looks weak. I ignore him while I get Kid back to normal. I later learn that he and Amazon slugged each other unconscious. We go back into the room, and the Moevian lets us know that whatever this thing is, it's going to where Yuri is.

We run to the room they're operating on him, but get there too late. It takes over his body, and proclaims itself a god! I'm wearing those patient wraps and underwear, and we're facing off with John Carpenter's The Thing. I'm dead meat!

Kid and Bringer blast it; not sure what the Moevian does. Yuri's body contorts and as the being screams. I grab the defibrillator paddles, and shock it's head. It goes nuts, hits me, and I slam against the wall. The others attack it again, and I lunge again with the paddles. Yuri's body explodes when I touch him with the paddles, but his parts all dissipate.

The Moevian tells us that the being escaped. Great. We brought back some other dimensional, non-corporeal being back with us. I keep fucking things up. At least now my superiors are taking our story seriously, and work on getting a court order to allow us to dismantle the Orichalcum from the torch in the Colossus of Science City.

* He is called the Octopus because he has four tentacles growing from his upper torso that he is embarressed by and constantly covers with his lab coat, and has a steel hard beak instead of a bellybutton that retracts into his stomach.   He also has glands that secret black ink in his gums that he seems to have no control over when he is in deep thought, or working on something.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #39 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Now that CHESS is taking me seriously, they finally got a court order so we can take care of that potential gateway for the Slaad to invade from the Shadow Dimension.

Manning met us on the roof of his building. He was pretty pissed off about this, and I am sure he was miffed at me for representing CHESS. He's my boss*, so I may just be out of a regular job. Not that I care right now; keeping demonic frog men from another dimension from invading Earth is more important than stroking Manning's ego. That lawyer of his is there; she's a hellion herself! Nemesis Kid ticks her off a little; he's got balls!

Anyway, Stormbringer, the Kid, the Moevian and I go to remove the stuff from the torch on the Colossus. There's only room for two of us, so Kid and I go in, as we have more practical experience with this kind of stuff. The other guys are heavy hitters, so it was a good thing we went in.

While I'm working on removing the pieces of Orichalcum, something is coming up the arm. Kid spots it, and it appears to be an armored man. They tussle, and I notice it, and try blasting it. I sear through part of the armor, but it nails me back kind of hard. I get knocked out of the torch, and grab a railing so as not to fall (I could fly, but I am trying to get my bearings, as I wasn't expecting it to his hit so hard).

The four of us fight with it, and it's tough. My armor takes serious damage; worse than when we fought the zomborgs. At one point, Kid breaks the railing, saving me from getting hit by one of it's blasts! He also pushed the Moevian out of the way of one as well.

Stormbringers calls up a storm, but it does nail him, and he goes over. the Moevian gets impaled on claws that sprout from it's hands. It then targets Stormbringer and I, and I get hit with another blast that almost wrecks my armor, and knocks me out cold.

When I wake up here in the infirmary, I get the rest of the story:

Nemesis Kid did a leap off the torch, and lands on the armored man (which we find out was a robot of some kind). He's able to beat it down, but he almost passes out himself. That kid is pretty damn tough with those gauntlets. He's pretty spunky too.  Anyway, Stormbringer saves us all by manipulating the wind currents of the storm he called up to slow us down as we were all falling.

So here I am, in the infirmary. I got one nasty black eye from the demon**, and my jaw hurts. I'm pretty sure I have at least 4 cracked ribs. The Moevian is looking better; I'm kind of amazed because he was impaled by both sets of claws. Stormbringer seems to be ok, and Kid's just a little worse for wear.

I don't know if Manning had a hand in that robot attacking us, or if he's really ignorant of some of the people who work for him doing illegal experiments on his dime. When I heal up, I think I need to sit down with Carter, and have a long talk about his father. While I'm at it, I should probably help him finish that suit we're working on.

As for Glare: The Octopus came to see me earlier. He handed me a set of blueprints. They look like the Glare suit, but I see he made a few improvements: more armor (which I was planning on doing anyway), and some other stuff I need to decipher.

With Elusion, Dark Warrior and Modi gone, the world is a darker place. Incorporeal Demons. Extradimensional Frog Men. Illegal experiments by corporations. Robots with high power energy weapons. The more I think about it, the more I start to realize I'm more out of my league than I first thought.

However, as much as I doubt myself, the fact remains that I'm seem to be the leader of a new team of metahumans dragged into working for CHESS. Like it or not, I have to step up. I've got plenty of doubt, and lots of regret. But I also have a lot of anger. Anger at all these inhuman things that want to harm humanity.

When I get out of here, I think I'm going to talk to The Octopus, and see if we adapt one of those Slaad power cells for my armor. And if CHESS will let me, maybe, just maybe, I'll see if I can work some of this Oricalcum into Glare MK II. These new guys are all more powerful than me, and I need an edge. I need to be ready, because it feels like a storm is coming, and I don't have a raincoat.....

* Yes consider yourself fired.  And you also have a lawsuit of breach of confidentiality as per Virginia Dentata

**The Demon seems to have been influnced by his years of possing the Soviet Captain and as such, goes by the name Red Devil.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #40 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I wasn't sure if I left out any important details, but I guess it was good enough to use for the game summary  Tongue

I guess lawyers for CHESS will have their work cut out for them defending Glare on that breach of confidentiality suit

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #41 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Eminent domain is an action of the state to seize a citizen's private property, expropriate property, or seize a citizen's rights in property with due monetary compensation, but without the owner's consent. The property is taken either for government use or by delegation to third parties who will devote it to public or civic use or, in some cases, economic development.

I'm sure a neutral court appointed party - maybe a government weapons manufacturer - can determine "due monetary compensation" for Glare as the "third party" to recompensate CHESS for cost of said Power Armor. I'd expect a hefty garnishment of whatever wages you might be recieving as a CHESS special assistant

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #42 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Glare built his armor on his own, with his own resources (he's got money, so he could afford it)

He was working for Manning Industries when CHESS recruited him to spy on Manning (they think he's crooked, and Glare's father worked for him, and disappeared mysteriously, and Glare thinks Manning was involved in that, so he agreed to aid CHESS).

The breach of confidentiality is likely Glare revealing company secrets to CHESS (which ironically, he's never really done, unless it was something illegal, like the zomborgs).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #43 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
There are two lawsuits going, one against Glare and the other is that Manning Enterprise is suing CHESS for taking the Orichalcum.  CHESS is claiming  its' a National Security issue.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #44 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Blame the Moevian and he can claim Diplomatic Immunity.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #45 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Apr 27th, 2011 at 8:30pm:

I wonder if claiming that I was under someone's mental control is acceptable in court? Tongue

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #46 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Apr 27th, 2011 at 8:30pm:

Dude that is so sinister Smiley It actually reminds me of a story thread Bill Willingham had going on in the A-Z Campaign in Geneva. There needs to be a real focus done on meta-humans effect on the legal system sometime  Huh

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #47 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
There was a neat story about the legal system and superpowers in Astro City.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>