Normal Topic action vs stat? and 1 or 20 die roll? (Read 1373 times)
Izlos
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

action vs stat? and 1 or 20 die roll?
Mar 31st, 2011 at 12:40am
Print Post  
How would you normally roll an action vs. a stat? Like if it was throw vs. agility, would i have to roll better than my agility for it to hit? Also...

I dont really know when a 1 is a failure or a successful roll because the book doesn't always specify it (or atleast I don't see it). I played with Jack Herman at CoastCon and sometimes a 20 would be successful and another time a 1 would be successful. I'm sorry but this confuses me Sad

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: action vs stat? and 1 or 20 die roll?
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Izlos wrote on Mar 31st, 2011 at 12:40am:
How would you normally roll an action vs. a stat? Like if it was throw vs. agility, would i have to roll better than my agility for it to hit? Also...I dont really know when a 1 is a failure or a successful roll because the book doesn't always specify it (or atleast I don't see it). I played with Jack Herman at CoastCon and sometimes a 20 would be successful and another time a 1 would be successful. I'm sorry but this confuses me 

When you roll vs. an ability score d20, all numbers lower than and equal to the ability score = success. All numbers higher than the ability score = failure.

Usually 1 = automatic success, and 20 = automatic failure.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2011 at 1:06am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Izlos
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Oh ok, thanks! Just a bit of confusion there!

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 1:45am
Print Post  
If you played with Jack at this years CoastCon he may have been using the updated saving throw rules from the MHG website or possibly some of the stuff they have in the works for V&V 3.0.

Your standard 2nd edition rulebook or even the 2.1 rulebook won't have those rules. The way polarboy explained it is the way it is in the current rulebooks.

IP Logged

Izlos
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Yea, he did say he was letting us playtest something. That may be what he was doing. That was the first time i ever played V&V so I was confused when I first read the rulebook.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2011 at 2:31am by Izlos »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 11:48am
Print Post  
The only other time I can think of that a d20 roll of a 20 is a success in V&V is when you are rolling damage (say, from a Power Blast).

Other than that - even from what Jeff showed us of 3.0 - a "20" is usually a miss in V&V (though Jack could have been showing / testing some other mechanic that I'm not familiar with).

IP Logged

Izlos
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
That maybe where I got things mixed up because I was casting disintegration ray. Maybe that was it.

IP Logged

>