Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Another take on a small selection of Combat Manoeuvres (Read 4655 times)
PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Another take on a small selection of Combat Manoeuvres
Feb 24th, 2012 at 6:27am
Print Post  
With a few sessions of our new V&V campaign under our belts, and without a rules upgrade imminent (but would love to see it one day!), and having looked at John's stuff and one of Majestic's suggestions, and being a bit of a rules tinkerer (I have a wee credit in the Pulp City miniatures rules as part of the Games Development Team), I thought I would add a couple of extra options to our selection.

Aim and Slam were inspired by John, but done differently, hopefully for simplicity, and similarly Dodge was inspired by Majestic, but toned down somewhat.

Comments and criticism welcome!

Combat Maneuvers

Aim: Requires one Action to use and declare a target; the next action by the character using Aim must be an attack against that target or the benefits are lost. With the Aim attack, add +4 to the to hit roll required.

Dodge: Use with Evade, with PR cost = 2; adds +1/10 of Agility (rounded down) to Evasion bonus.

Power Up: Uses an Action, PR expenditure (variable) and must declare a target; the next Action by the character using Power Up must be an attack against that target or the benefits are lost. With the Power Up attack treat die rolls less than the Power expended for Power Up as being equal to the Power spent (to a maximum of the die result). Power Up can only be used to affect dice for Carry Capacity-based damage or damage from powers; for example, if using a sword, only the base HTH damage could be affected, not the extra dice/damage from the sword itself. Devices, Magic/Psionic Items, and technological weapons cannot be affected.

Slam: Add velocity damage to damage from an unarmed HTH attack; half of the extra damage from velocity is applied to the attacker using the Slam.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:23pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Another take on a small selection of Combat Manoeuvres
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Some how I missed these when they were posted.

Aim, I'm guessing it'd be considered a special attack, correct? Or am I reading to much into it?

I like the idea of Dodge, but I may tinker with it a bit, to give characters with high Agility scores more of a bonus.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
a goldmine of convertable material on the subject is Herogames's Ultimate Martial Artist (for 5th edition)

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 8:59am:

Aim, I'm guessing it'd be considered a special attack, correct? Or am I reading to much into it?

I like the idea of Dodge, but I may tinker with it a bit, to give characters with high Agility scores more of a bonus.

Take a look at how we do Dodge (link above), as I think it's just what you're looking for.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
maybe temporarily blinding or deafening strikes, martial throws/legsweeps, nerve strikes, killing strikes, etc.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of a making a special attack to temporarily blind someone, say something like this:

Special Attack: Blinding Strike: The target of the attack is temporarily blinded for 1d3 phases, and is affected as though struck with a Darkness Control Attack. -4 to all attack rolls, unless the character has some sort of ability that would compensate for his like of sight.

Killing strikes could be worked as a modified version of Death Touch (I'll play around and see what I can come up with), and for Nerve Strikes, you could use Ken Cliffe's for Nerve Pinches in Supercrooks and Criminals, and Vigilantes International. They're pretty simple to use, and don't throw off game balance. He's also got rules for Acrobatics.

I could also see some type of special "Stunning" Attack, where the target would act as though they were fatigued, until they could shake off the effects (make their save).

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
OK, after a few quick thoughts, how's this sound:

Stunning Blow: By making a special attack, you can stun your target. You're target, must make a save vs. END (d20), or is stunned by your attack, and acts as though fatigued until the effects of the attack can be shaken off, or for 15 minutes - the difference (1 minute per point) you failed your save by. Sound reasonable? I'm working Death Blow (thanks for the Idea Bill), and Deafen.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2014 at 1:59am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
my pleasure, man. Seriously, Hero Games Ultimate Martial Artist is a massive goldmine of inspiration if you ever get a chance to flip around in it.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:08pm:

Stunning Blow: By making a special attack, you can stun your target. You're target, must make a save vs. END (d20), or is stunned by your attack, and acts as though fatigued until the effects of the attack can be shaken off, or for 1 hour - their END score in minutes. Sound reasonable? I'm working Death Blow (thanks for the Idea Bill), and Deafen

I like it, but think the amount of time the person is stunned is a bit too harsh.  I think it would be better to have it be 30 (or even 25) minutes, minus E.  That way a normal human is still stunned for 15-20 minutes but a super (especially someone with a high E) can shrug it off far quicker.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:43pm:
dsumner wrote on Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:08pm:

Stunning Blow: By making a special attack, you can stun your target. You're target, must make a save vs. END (d20), or is stunned by your attack, and acts as though fatigued until the effects of the attack can be shaken off, or for 1 hour - their END score in minutes. Sound reasonable? I'm working Death Blow (thanks for the Idea Bill), and Deafen

I like it, but think the amount of time the person is stunned is a bit too harsh.  I think it would be better to have it be 30 (or even 25) minutes, minus E.  That way a normal human is still stunned for 15-20 minutes but a super (especially someone with a high E) can shrug it off far quicker.

Hmmm....how's 15 minutes - the difference (1 minute per point) you failed your save by sound?
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012 at 11:49pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 4:18am
Print Post  
either way, it translates to "waaay after the fight is over" . are usual wake-up rolls applicable?

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 5:49am
Print Post  

I just see Aim as a way of using up an action to reap a benefit, especially for those characters afflicted with attacks based on the HTH column!  Grin

So basically, you Aim for one Action, for +4 to hit but your next Action after that must be an attack against the target designated by the aim, or else the bonus is lost.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on Mar 30th, 2012 at 4:18am:
either way, it translates to "waaay after the fight is over" . are usual wake-up rolls applicable?

They're not knocked out, just stunned. They can "shake it off" by making their saving throw.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:29am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 10:24am
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Mar 30th, 2012 at 5:49am:

I just see Aim as a way of using up an action to reap a benefit, especially for those characters afflicted with attacks based on the HTH column!  Grin

So basically, you Aim for one Action, for +4 to hit but your next Action after that must be an attack against the target designated by the aim, or else the bonus is lost.

Sounds good to me.

YIM  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
another way to represent nerve strikes would (rather than ko potential) be to let them bypass Invulnerability or Armor (partially or in full) or possibly prevent rolling with the damage (or requiring a save to roll)

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on Mar 30th, 2012 at 3:08pm:
another way to represent nerve strikes would (rather than ko potential) be to let them bypass Invulnerability or Armor (partially or in full) or possibly prevent rolling with the damage (or requiring a save to roll)

I'd have to think about the Invulnerability, but I can't see someone with full set of Armor B (say someone decked out like Iron Man) being affected much by a nerve strike.

YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #16 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 30th, 2012 at 9:01pm:
I'd have to think about the Invulnerability, but I can't see someone with full set of Armor B (say someone decked out like Iron Man) being affected much by a nerve strike. 

Unless you're the Mandarin. He did it to Iron Man once

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #17 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 1:49am
Print Post  
point taken... maybe by striking at armor joints etc could still have a chance tho... possibly halving ADR for purposes of attack?
alternately, this could be a totally different maneuver for fighting armored foes...

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #18 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
also, these super-martial-artsy tricks make good extra abilities for when you roll under the 20% for Natural Weaponry.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
I have been rethinking Power Attack instead of Power Up (to simulate hay-makers, full-power blasts, Clobberin' Time etc.):

Power Attack: Costs an extra PR = 2 in addition to any usual power cost. Make an extra to hit roll, if all hit rolls succeed the attack hits, if one fails the attack misses.If this is combined with a special attack simply add an extra to hit roll required. The damage from a Power Attack is rolled twice, always applying the highest result.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #20 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Stunning Blow 2.0: By making a special attack, you can stun your target. You're target, must make a save vs. END (d20), or is stunned by your attack, and acts as though fatigued until the effects of the attack can be shaken off (1d6 turns). Sound better than the first version?

I'm still tinkering with Death Blow, but I'm thinking it would work like this, the character would make a HTH attack, with a Death Touch carrier attack. I still need to flesh out the details though.

YIM  
IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #21 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:42am:
Stunning Blow 2.0: By making a special attack, you can stun your target. You're target, must make a save vs. END (d20), or is stunned by your attack, and acts as though fatigued until the effects of the attack can be shaken off (1d6 turns). Sound better than the first version?

I'd go with something along the lines of "save vs End on d20, or be stunned (suffer from fatigue) for a number of rounds equal to damage rolled.  I understand the desire to make it easier for someone with a high END to shrug out of it, but that's the point of the initial save.  Alternately, go with:

Stunning Blow var 2.I   By making a special attack, you can stun your target. You're target is stunned by your attack, and acts as though fatigued until the effects of the attack can be shaken off (damage dealt - END score, minimum 1 turn).

dsumner wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:42am:
I'm still tinkering with Death Blow, but I'm thinking it would work like this, the character would make a HTH attack, with a Death Touch carrier attack. I still need to flesh out the details though.

I'd go with a Death Touch carrier attack, but have the rolls modified by the damage dealt in the hand to hand portion of the carrier attack.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:28pm by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #22 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Also, I agree with Bill.  Hero System Martial Arts was one of the books I kept when I got rid of my Hero collection.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #23 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Aim for one Action, for +4 to hit but your next Action after that must be an attack against the target designated by the aim, or else the bonus is lost

But, if you are attacked in the round that you begin your aim, you can abort and use the action to defend youurself normally....?

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:32am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Sep 3rd, 2012 at 12:52pm:
Aim for one Action, for +4 to hit but your next Action after that must be an attack against the target designated by the aim, or else the bonus is lost

But, if you are attacked in the round that you begin your aim, you can abort and use the action to defend youurself normally....?

That seems reasonable. Will amend the text.  Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #25 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:27pm:
Stunning Blow var 2.I   By making a special attack, you can stun your target. You're target is stunned by your attack, and acts as though fatigued until the effects of the attack can be shaken off (damage dealt - END score, minimum 1 turn).

I like it, and you can consider it officially stolen.  Wink Cheesy

YIM  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #26 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 9:48am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 5:47am:

Next time Thunderbolt finds himself confronted with a questionably 'innocent' opponent { Young Justin.. in his Boost rampage } or female foe { like when he confronted Razor... briefly, 'Shawn is very chivalrous and hates hurting women' }... I will use this! Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2012 at 9:49am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #27 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 5:47am:

I wonder if there can be a similar effect if a blow comes close to knockout, but doesn't do it...  Shocked

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #28 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
These remind me of the way you could stun your opponent in Street Fighter II.  I used to love using a sweep atack with Blanca, and the opponent would then have little birds flying around their head.  As soon as they'd recover, I'd hit em' again with the same move!  Wink

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #29 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Special Attack: Deafen: By making a special attack, you can deafen your target. You're target, must make a save vs. AGL (d20), or they’re deafened by your attack for 1d3 turns. While deafened, all detect danger and detect hidden scores are halved, in addition to any other penalties the GM may impose. For example the character would be able to hear a shouted warning.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #30 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I've got a few new ideas if you you guys are interested in me posting them, I will. And any feedback on them would be appreciated.

YIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #31 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Please post your new ideas.  This is a fascinating thread!

IP Logged

>