Normal Topic Thought Virus (Read 929 times)
Darkstar
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Thought Virus
Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
How would you handle something like a thought virus? i have some plans on introducing a challenge to the heroes, one that hopefully solve an issue that i dug myself into. (to the chagrin of Majestic and other gm's in our game)

the pcs have a special little bit of tissue that was crafted by a swarm of nanites, one that allows those with it to telepathically communicate with others who have this modification, and to translate languages to facilitate communication. The nanites deactivated and were flushed out of the system once their job was done... (being in the body for no more then a few days.) i gave them this becasue we were embarking on a massive space adventure and they need the translation... but now it needs to be removed.

Ive told them along that the tissue would atrophy and die out if they do not use the "organ" as it would be. some have on puurpose let it die, and others have had it removed though some events.

i plan on running an adventure that introduces a thought virus, something that is contracted only to other users who have this "organ" so my thoughts would be to have the heroes with this, become erratic and eventually either impaired or acting out of character up to and including players losing control of their characters, perhaps forming their own group and becomeing challenges for the other pcs to handle. (each player has multiple characters.)

Any ideas on what i can do with this "thought Virus" ?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Thought Virus
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Any ideas, people?

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
My only thought is that nanites should burnout almost immediately by those using or are the victim of those with Lightning Control or Magnetic powers   

Otherwise I guess it depends on the origins and motivation or he virus creator. Or is the virus itself sentient.  Either way it's Mind and/or Emotion Control in my books.  Although I suppose illusions are also a possibility
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2012 at 2:39pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2012 at 9:28am
Print Post  
  Don't know how I missed this thread.

I like this idea, but it would be tough to play out.  I am rather reluctant to use mind controls, or emotion controls on players cause it interferes with "free will."    I just think that coming to my house on a Friday and making plans with family is a big deal these days, and then to be told that their character HAS to do this or behave this way, is a bit much to do.

Having said that,  I never said I wouldn't use mind controls or emotion controls, just not over use them.

So, I would have it act like some invading thought system, almost like schizophrenia.  I would have the players roll vs their intellegence every day and if they fail, then they would, without realising it, as it would be normal for  them, to do things that were out of character.

Each week or so, I would give a cumulative -1 on their saves for this roll.

And I would gauge how odd their behavior was based on how badly their save roll failed.    So with the cumulative penalties, sooner or later, the players would be acting very bizzare;   living in a trainstation,  building a giant robot to defeat single handidly to look the hero,   colonising  Newark in the name of the Empire, etc...
    I wouldn't have them do anything outright evil, like murder or such, cause there is no turning back from that, but  amusing to out right scary tangents that will cause them on lucid days to seek a cure.
    At the very least,  if you have honest role players rather than hack and slashers,  they can have fun acting out of character and doing some truely bizarre and fun things.

One player years ago developed a sleepwalking persona  that went out at night and solved crimes.  Keep in mind that it was a vilain character that did this!  It was fun as  he basically fought muggers in his pyjamas!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ryxis47
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 3:00am
Print Post  
While I don't have a mind virus exactly in my game, I actually have three players who, through completely separate circumstances, have extra-dimensional entities lurking in the corners of their minds.

Often I've had it as basically a separate NPC that only the host player can deal with. There are triggers that force the entity to 'come forward' and interfere or sometimes help out. One player has been trying to learn meditation to more actively deal with the force in his mind. My girlfriend's character is curious about hers but often actively avoids it because of how destructive it acts. And the other player has tried to gain some benefit from hers but often winds up possessed by it.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 3:48am
Print Post  
i disagree on elecrtical/magnetics wasting nanomachines, but on topic: you could have the thought virus be a manipulative tool of a greater intelligence, becoming more evident as time goes on. sorta like Quatermass and the pit.

IP Logged

>