Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Centurions V&V Campaign (Read 5199 times)
Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

New Centurions V&V Campaign
May 9th, 2012 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Here's what my gaming group has worked out for our new V&V adventures.

1. The hero group is going to be called the New Centurions ... or maybe just the Centurions for short. The name has a double meaning because we are only using adventures that were published in the 21st century ... including those that were written in the 1980s but only recently saw the light of day.

2. In the campaign universe, by and large the recognizable heroes and villains from the 1980s V and V products were around during that time period with some possible exceptions. But everyone either retired, died, lost their powers, or ended up in prison at Apocalypse Island. Other than the fact that the Island of Dr. Apocalypse is now an international super-prison, the details about what happened 25+ years ago is not important in the campaign.

3. Players are not playing themselves. Instead they are randomly generating PCs using the second edition rules ... WITH THESE EXCEPTIONS.

A. Everyone randomly rolls up 2 heroes.

B. The player chooses which hero is joins the frontline team of the New Centurions.

C. The character who a player discards becomes a member of the reserve/substitute/trainee/backup team that does not go on adventures because they are either too weak or for personal/professional reasons are not available for active duty.

D. If a player's main hero suffers a battle injury or other predicament that pulls that character out of commission, the player can use the reserve/backup hero instead.

E. If a player's main hero actually dies .... dum, dum, dum ... then the player rolls up a new hero and decides whether than new character joins the Centurions or if the newly rolled character joins the substitute team -- and the substitute member gets promoted into the Centurions.

F. As you can see, it is possible for a substitute hero to stay out of the spotlight forever.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: New Centurions V&V Campaign
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2012 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a good plan. Keep us updated on how the Campaign goes. Always like to read about other peoples adventures.

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2012 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I agree.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2012 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
i suggest everyone rolling up both heroes, then as a group decide which heroes become the main team. that way, the team wont be all identical Power Blast, H Str B and Invulnerability heroes

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2012 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Great ideas, Tay.  Looking forward to hearing more about them!  Smiley

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2012 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
With all six players rolling up two characters apiece, then picking their favorite--everyone's final character ended up with 4-6 powers.

The backup/substitute heroes each have from 1-4 powers each.

One of the characters randomly ended up at age 23, with Inheritor as a background. And ... randomly, the age of inheritance was 23. She ended up inheriting approx. 500 million dollars. So she'll be the financier of the team and be the new owner of the circus that doubles as the team's base.

I don't know about anyone else, but a number of the folks in my gaming group didn't know what to do with up to 6 powers each ... so most of them stuck with about two items from the Powers table and rolled their other abilities from the Skills table.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2012 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Yeah, when you get a lot of powers it almost always helps to supplement them with Skills.  Brings the BCs (stats) up to solid levels, and sometimes helps out with other nifty things (H. Defense to keep on from being hit, H. Expertise to aid in attacks, etc.).

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2012 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
We're thinking about starting out with Hostile Takeover because it is intended for new heroes and because there is interest in our group to face Intercrime.

That group was mentioned in the very first rulebook but I don't think it was a part of any of the "old school" adventures. No matter what, it will be cool to see what that group is finally made of. From the cover, it looks like there's a lot of fire-powers.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2012 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
That's a pretty accurate assessment.  There's some regular folks that are armed with fire-projecting equipment and some other (typical) Intercrime forces, like Garrison and Power Infantry types.

You also get some stats (and counters) for some others in Intercrime, though they're not technically part of the adventure proper (they could be used later).

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2012 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Thanks, Majestic.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
a 500 million dollar circus? good carnies? I dunno lol.

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2012 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 6:22pm:
a 500 million dollar circus? good carnies? I dunno lol.

I'm not sure how much a real circus would cost, but 500 million should cover it. The inheritor probably has other assets. It was very convenient how that worked out.

It turned out that NONE of the PCs rolled Performing Art in their background--but one had Choice (and picked Performing Art). That's the only character who actually has worked as a performer--like Nightcrawler or young Dick Grayson

Someone had Game Designer/Bum, so he had a history running carnival games.

Someone else had Agriculture, so guess who is in charge of taking care of the animals?!

The others had Accounting/Finance or Business/Sales in their background, so their "alter ego" day jobs involve selling tickets or working in food sales.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012 at 1:38am by Tay »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2012 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Nice use of backgrounds, Tay!   Cool

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2012 at 11:52am
Print Post  
but where are you finding Good-aligned roustabouts, Midway workers, etc? college internships, maybe?

IP Logged

Kap
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2012 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Bill, perhaps it's like students entering law school. They don't all necessarily start out evil. The good is just drummed out of them over time.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #15 - May 20th, 2012 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
HAW!! good call. i keep reminding myself its a circus, not a carnival lol

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2012 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Picked up the PDF for Omni-Primus, the villain who appeared on the 1982 rulebook and whose powers were released relatively recently.

With his time-travel powers, I'm going to keep him as a surprise villain who could appear at any point (i.e. if a gaming session ends early and we have spare time).

Like Intercrime, he's someone who some people have been waiting 30 years to fight--so the payoff will be good no matter what.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2012 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Don't know if you got a chance to see this, Tay, but here's what happened when I took our group up against Omni-Primus.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2012 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
now i dont know about anyone else, but i really wanna know about the heroes people decided NOT to use 1st.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2012 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
im really excited to read more about this as it develops from the ground up.

IP Logged

Kap
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - May 23rd, 2012 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Sounds like fun. I must redouble my efforts to get a game going.

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - May 23rd, 2012 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 11:33pm:
now i dont know about anyone else, but i really wanna know about the heroes people decided NOT to use 1st.

All but one of the "reserve" members have only 1-2 powers and don't even have codenames yet.

The group has only had one adventure so far -- against Intercrime: Hostile Takeover. Maybe we'll get back to fleshing out the Substitute Centurions when the core team of six heroes get more experience.

I received recommendations from a few people to use Enter the Gene Pool so that looks like it will be the next adventure. I like the cover -- and the idea of having a villain team that isn't already tagged as the old foes of the Crusaders or Epsilon of the Valiants from the "old school" Great Iridium Con.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #22 - May 24th, 2012 at 3:55am
Print Post  
i suggest sitting down as a group and everyone rolls up a supervillain simultaneously.  in addition to providing you as gm with a steady source of villains, ive found my players enthusiastically try to tie villains into existing campaign details.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #23 - May 24th, 2012 at 3:56am
Print Post  
howd they get 1 to 2 powers?

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #24 - May 24th, 2012 at 3:58am
Print Post  
either way tho: what can you tell us about the primary PCs?

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - May 24th, 2012 at 5:54am
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on May 24th, 2012 at 3:58am:
  either way tho: what can you tell us about the primary PCs?

Everyone has at least two skills, so here are their unique or main powers:

Silver Agent: Heightened Speed and Regeneration (heals magnetic attacks normally). Law Enforcement was one of his two knowledge areas, so he's the team's tie to the government.
Skills: Natural Weaponry, Heightened Intelligence A, Heightened Agility A.

Omicron (a.k.a. "O"): Flight. Psionics (1-20 damage). Has Cosmic Awareness but it's pretty much useless given his intelligence and level. So it's a latent power.
Skills: Heightened Endurance A. Heightened Agility A. Heightened Expertise w/psioncs.

St. Elmo: Flame Power. Heightened Senses: Infrared vision.
Skills: Heightened Endurance A. Heightened Charisma A.

Tornado-Man: Flight and Mutant Power: Vibratory Powers - but visually it looks like he has whirlwinds around him and he cannot "vibrate" through solids. PR = 4 instead of 5.
Skills: Heightened Endurance A. Heightened Strength A. Speed Bonus ground.

Hera: Body Power: Living Hair. Max. length = Strength inches. Her hair has 10 times her usual Carrying Capacity. Speed Bonus: +30" swinging with hair. Heightened Expertise: +4 with hair. Heightened Defense: -4 to be hit w/weakness: Her hair is needed to block attacks. She loses Heightened Defense (and Heightened Charisma/confidence) if she were to become bald or her hair was constrained.
Skills: Heightened Charisma A. Heightened Endurance A.

Kelpie: Female: Water-Breathing B (she sleeps in a water tank at the circus). Transformation/Shapeshifter: Any type of horse -- including a large hippocampus (using horse stats, but running speed is swimming speed). I ruled out allowing her to turn into a pegasus for now. She's the financier of the team. She inherited her dough after saving the life of a rich man who fell off his yacht.
Skills: Heightened Intelligence A. Natural Weaponry.

During the first adventure against Intercrime: Hostile Takeover, a few heroes razzed St. Elmo for having Flame Powers similar to the Intercrime gang. It came up a few times.

For clarity, I went back and added the abilities the core members each rolled from the Skills table.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2012 at 4:07am by Tay »  

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #26 - May 24th, 2012 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
silver agent? like astro city?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #27 - May 24th, 2012 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Tay wrote on May 24th, 2012 at 5:54am:
During the first adventure against Intercrime: Hostile Takeover, a few heroes razzed St. Elmo for having Flame Powers similar to the Intercrime gang. It came up a few times.

I can see that, as it would be a logical connection between St. Elmo and the Firebrands.

Your campaign sounds interesting, and sounds a lot like one my son is working on right now (he's been inspired by the show "Heroes" to have paranormals rare and everyone with only one or two powers).

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #28 - May 24th, 2012 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
@Bill and Majestic:

The core six heroes from above actually all have 4-6 powers -- when randomly generated. They just rolled some of those powers on the skills table. Each of them has 1 or 2 heightened abilities as a result. I left them out of the write-ups above. All the core members have at least 10 Hit Points as a result.

The "substitute" members only have 1-2 powers each (with one exception). That's how many powers they randomly rolled -- and why those were the characters the PCs chose to drop as they thought those characters might be too weak. I will post more about the substitute members soon -- as we are getting more details about them settled.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2012 at 6:56pm by Tay »  

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #29 - May 25th, 2012 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Okay, here is some information about the "reserve" members of the Centurions. These are the characters who the players rolled up but decided not to play.

Strawman: Stretching Powers (double). Vulnerability: +3 to be hit by heat/fire. (Backup for Silver Agent.)

Ally: Emotion Control: "charms" an enemy into feeling like he's a friend. (Backup for Omicron.)

Locksmith: Willpower B: As a variation, he has wall-climbing, pickpocketing, find/remove trap, open lock, and other 1st edition thieves skills. (Backup to St. Elmo.)

Wing-Man: Heightened Attack and Wings. (Backup to Tornado-Man.)

Callus: Invulnerability and Heightened Defense and Dim. Senses: 1/2 detection rolls. (Backup for Hera.)

Jane Roe-bot: Robotic Body and a few other random devices. Does not know who created her. (Backup to Kelpie. This is the only case where the backup member is tougher than the core member -- but the player liked the idea of playing Kelpie and being the wealth behind the team.

With her Robotic Body's built-in Heightened Strength, Jane is the only Substitute Centurion with a heightened ability -- not including the +3 agility with Wing-Man's wings. As such, Jane is the only member on reserve with high HP. The other subs have from 4 to 8 HP.

BTW: I went back and added the skills for each of the core New Centurions.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2012 at 4:00am by Tay »  

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #30 - May 25th, 2012 at 4:56am
Print Post  
... what on Earth is the benefit of double Stretching? and id hate to see what powers some of these people DROPPED.

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #31 - May 25th, 2012 at 11:22am
Print Post  
@Bill: I'm not familiar with Astro City so I don't know if the Silver Agent in the core team is similar to a character there.

With Strawman, having Stretching Powers doubled allows him to increase his movement significantly -- and for a non-flying character it vastly improves his range.

Some of the powers dropped were pretty weak, including Heightened Speed +10" (yes, the character rolled 01, so multiplied by 10, that was +10") and armor with a very low score.

IP Logged

Tay
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - May 25th, 2012 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Here's an idea that I have "on reserve," so to speak. I'm thinking of having a villain akin to the Super-Adaptoid from Marvel Comics 1960s-1980s absorb all of the powers of the Substitute Centurions and then fight the core team.

The end result will be an evil Robot with powers that include Heightened Strength, Wings, Invulnerability, Stretching, D and D thieving abilities, Emotion Control (friendship), and a Vulnerability to fire.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2012 at 5:47pm by Tay »  

IP Logged

Kap
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #33 - May 25th, 2012 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
I like your SuperAdaptoid idea. Maybe he can beat up the benchwarmers and temporarily steal their powers, then lie in wait for the first-stringers.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2012 at 9:31pm by Kap »  

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #34 - May 27th, 2012 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
can kelpie function normally out of water in horse form?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>