Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C.H.E.S.S. (Read 11028 times)
Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: C.H.E.S.S.
Reply #35 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
In Divided We Stand/United We Fall, I'm building an in game explanation for CHESS / FISH / MEDUSA / GIANT co-existing in the same world if the GM wants a multi-agency feel to their campaign. Essentially this is a way to turn this problem (multiple secretive groups from different authors bumping into each other in the full V&V universe) and turning it into an asset that the GM can use to their advantage as a story / plot device.

RAMBLE
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2015 at 1:15pm by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #36 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:56pm:
At some point I really want to see a CHESS source book.

Something like Hostile Takeover did with Intercrime...?  I liked that book.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #37 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
There's so many alphabet agencies in our current U.S. government that I always thought it could easily make sense.  Now after 9-11 there was some consolidation, but still there's more agencies than one could count on their fingers (assuming you had six hands).

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #38 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Well, Happy New Year to all. Hopefully it's a better one than the last.

Ramble: I think the Zodiac HQ is awesome, you gave me a good layout to render and it really has some fun nuances.

CHESS sourcebook? Yea, I could see something like that. We have seen the Department.

It'd be nice to see an 'alphabet soup' book to explain them all out. Some of the concepts that held true 33 years ago however don't really fly as well now. For example:

I took on one of those dated concepts in FFWTF to remove sexism in modern CHESS with the elimination of Angels, Valkyries, and Doves, who were named and divided for no other reason than they were girls to be set apart from Bishops, Knights, and Rooks. The division seemed very 'girls have cooties'.

No one is forced to use my interpretation (or the heavier MK II Knights in Hero Within), so I shrug at it and move on. I'm not sure how we would write about the topic, but we had (a few of us) blabbed a bit about possibly reorganizing the alphabet issue and producing a book to sort it out for the modern product.

Oh well. See you guys soon.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2015 at 3:52pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #39 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I'm curious will or would there be an intellectual property rights issue with someone else using the various original authors of the V&V universe alphabet soup agencies?

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #40 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Some of the early authors are by far more gracious about the continuity of V&V than others. Anyone I've been in contact with or worked with directly hasn't raised any beefs about cooperative use in adventures by reference and mention.
I personally have no interest in authoring an agency book that does the above even though, like I said, it'd be nice to see one.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #41 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jan 11th, 2015 at 3:51pm:
I took on one of those dated concepts in FFWTF to remove sexism in modern CHESS with the elimination of Angels, Valkyries, and Doves, who were named and divided for no other reason than they were girls to be set apart from Bishops, Knights, and Rooks. The division seemed very 'girls have cooties'.

There's no sexism in CHESS. Women are equal to men, there is no glass ceiling, and they use terms that address the differences in the sexes without being demeaning. What's better "Valkyrie" or "Chairwoman"? After all, Valkyries were bad ass ladies who worked for Odin, knights are men who work for a mortal king. Also if the number of Valkyries equals the number of Knights, you have a sexually balanced work force. So easy a Senator could figure it out.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #42 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I just use real agencies.  Never cared for CHESS or SHIELD or any of that stuff. Seems unnecessary to me.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #43 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jan 11th, 2015 at 3:51pm:
I took on one of those dated concepts in FFWTF to remove sexism in modern CHESS with the elimination of Angels, Valkyries, and Doves, who were named and divided for no other reason than they were girls to be set apart from Bishops, Knights, and Rooks.

When women play chess, they call their pieces Knights, Bishops, and Rooks. So it makes sense that women holding those ranks within CHESS would use the same terms.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #44 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Without the two differnt groups of names, how will they know who makes the coffee?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #45 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 7:07pm:
There's no sexism in CHESS. Women are equal to men..... they use terms that address the differences in the sexes

So they use terms Angel, Valkyrie, Dove to express what difference exactly from Bishops, Knights, and Rooks?
To track quotas? Because the HR department doesn't have records, so when they fall into formation, they just count pink and blue suits to be sure?

It just seems to me that the first woman to reach the rank of 'Knight' would file a major lawsuit the minute they said, "Um, yea, you made rank, but, um, no. We decided we're gonna call you a Valkyrie and have you wear pink armor."

That might have flown in 1979. But I see that floating like a terd in a punchbowl in 2015.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2015 at 11:44pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #46 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 12:04am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 11:44pm:
It just seems to me that the first woman to reach the rank of 'Knight' would file a major lawsuit the minute they said, "Um, yea, you made rank, but, um, no. We decided we're gonna call you a Valkyrie and have you wear pink armor."

It's an unnecessary distinction, as you say -- especially since women can be knighted or become bishops without answering to different labels than men.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #47 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 12:15am
Print Post  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #48 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 12:50am
Print Post  
That might have flown in 1979.

My guess is that adding the decidedly female terms back in the day was intended to show that C.H.E.S.S. was inclusive of women.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #49 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 10:19am
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 12:50am:
That might have flown in 1979.

My guess is that adding the decidedly female terms back in the day was intended to show that C.H.E.S.S. was inclusive of women.

I think this is a good assumption. Whatever the reason, it's unnecessary now.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #50 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
I thought it was just good story-telling. After all, if you call the outfit "CHESS" you have to have a "KING" and "QUEEN", not two Kings. And if the top gal has a different title, then all the other gals should have gal-specific titles just to keep everything consistent. It's balance, it's story-telling, and it's a nice hook.

It's an unnecessary distinction, as you say -- especially since women can be knighted or become bishops without answering to different labels than men.

Once knighted, Men are addressed as "Sir" and women as "Dame".
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:19pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #51 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:10pm:
I thought it was just good story-telling. After all, if you call the outfit "CHESS" you have to have a "KING" and "QUEEN", not two Kings. And if the top gal has a different title, then all the other gals should have gal-specific titles just to keep everything consistent. It's balance, it's story-telling, and it's a nice hook.

Even with the sir/dame distinction, both men and women are "knighted" -- that was the label that I meant. But I see that was unclear.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #52 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:10pm:

The terms King and Queen are consistent with the game chess.

Since Doves, Angels, and Valkyries aren't in the game chess, I'm in the camp that prefers not to use them.

I noticed that Pawns don't have different terms for males and females, so adopting new terms for females (or female replicas) must have stopped by the time they were invented.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #53 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Y'all do whatever you like - It'll have just about zero effect on me. I'm gonna make sure the bad guys know when they got their backside handed to them by a girl.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>