Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thrilling Adventure Stories (for John's group) (Read 14536 times)
Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Thrilling Adventure Stories (for John's group)
May 19th, 2012 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
So on the way home from our game last night, I was thinking about maybe running some Golden Age V&V adventures. I was re-reading the thread's on Golden Age V&V, and about the Mystery Men comic. A non-gaming friend is loaning me The Twelve, about 12 Golden Age Marvel heroes who were captured during WW2, and are freed in the modern day. I asked to borrow it as I've been in a golden age mood of late. There's been a series of releases for another rpg featuring Golden Age characters in the Public Domain, so collecting those has been getting me in the mindset for some Golden Age gaming.

Anyway, figured I'd post here, and see if the rest of the group has any interest in this. No guidelines or background yet, as I want to see if there's any interest first.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Thrilling Adventure Stories (for John's group)
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
If you are saying you want to run a game set in WW2  with me as a player super character, then FUCK YES.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Of course I would be interested!!

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
John wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 4:21pm:
If you are saying you want to run a game set in WW2  with me as a player super character, then FUCK YES.

Yes, that's what I'm saying  Smiley

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 4:27pm:
Of course I would be interested!!

Cool.

Originally I had plans to run something with straight V&V (since I had hoped to do some 3rd party stuff), but I might just run it as per John's version.

I guess that means I should figure out some guidelines for character creation then  Tongue

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2012 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
All I need to figure out is if my characters secret identity will be one of the two.

Mr. Jack Maxim

or

Corky Styles

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2012 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
I like the names, though I prefer Jack Maxim.

What I'm thinking for the start of the game is to set it in 1941, probably a few months prior to Pearl Harbor. Very few actual super humans exist so far; most heroes/villains are either pulpish "Mystery Men" types, or have devices (either scientific or magical).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2012 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Can I be Tracy Avalon.  The son of a museum curatator but I am a fledgling crooner ala Frank Sinatra.  Its not my fault that my voice is golden by my looks are  no good.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
The only known team of heroes currently is The Crimebusters, who work with the U.S. Government The team consists of the following members:

Ace Sterling, G-Man extraordinaire

Mordecai the Magnificent, occult expert and stage magician who uses gadgets to perform tricks (and fight crime).

Sky Marshal, rocket pack wearing US Marshal

The Wraith, dark avenger of the night

Prof. Steele, Man of Iron. He is considered the world's first publicly known super human.

Their best known enemies are called The Crime Guild. The guild has many members, but the following all have a reason to hate a member of the Crime Busters:

The Highwayman: Flamboyant robber who has clashed with Sterling numerous times.

Malachi the Malevolent: Mordecai's twin brother, and actual practitioner of dark magic.

Sky Pirate: Aerial Pirate with a custom dirigible and crew of cuthroats. Enemy of Sky Marshal

The Lynx: Sexy burglar with a cat motif who has battled The Wraith on occasion.

Professor Steele has no opposite in the Guild as of yet (being new to the Crime Busters), but he has clashed with Baron Wulfgang von Stahl, an German agent of The Thule Society with abilities similar to his own

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012 at 6:01pm by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #9 - May 19th, 2012 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
John wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 5:53pm:
Can I be Tracy Avalon.  The son of a museum curatator but I am a fledgling crooner ala Frank Sinatra.  Its not my fault that my voice is golden by my looks are  no good.

Why not? Any ideas for what his abilities might be?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - May 19th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I was thinking something magic based, thats why his dad is a curator.

the name Kid Babylon keeps popping into my head, but I don't know what he does yet.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - May 19th, 2012 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
How about he has a flying carpet, a magic scimitar, an invisiblity ring and a the Book of Ancient Babylon.  This book, when read out loud, gives the read  the ablity to cast any spell he wants, but only once per spell!  The pages burn after reading.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2012 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Weakness: He is naive and falls in love with every girl he sees!

IP Logged

Oculus Orbus
Teen Titan

I Hate Champions!

Reply #13 - May 19th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I'm interested. Gimme some time to come up with something good.

[edit] Assuming that was an open invitiation  Embarrassed
[edit edit] And now I see that it was, in fact, not. And so I slowly and quietly back out of the room and gently close the door behind me.  Embarrassed Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012 at 7:57pm by Oculus Orbus »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2012 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
If you don't like Kid Babylon, how about the Sweet Scientist?

Since Boxing is the Sweet Science,  Brock Jenkins  was a master of both physics and the physical.   He graduated top of his class at MIT but it was his street smarts and boxing skill that got him the scholarship!

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #15 - May 19th, 2012 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 5:46pm:
I like the names, though I prefer Jack Maxim.

What I'm thinking for the start of the game is to set it in 1941, probably a few months prior to Pearl Harbor. Very few actual super humans exist so far; most heroes/villains are either pulpish "Mystery Men" types, or have devices (either scientific or magical).

I'm basing the name off character type. Cool gut type gets Maxim.  Quirky type will get Corky. I haven't decided yet. Are we designing characters or rolling?? What limitations???

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2012 at 5:03am
Print Post  
John,

Interesting concepts. I actually like both. If you do decide to go with Kid Babylon, I actually have a villain that is tied to Mesopotamia, though she wouldn't show up right away as she'd be fairly powerful.

Oni,

Not sure. What would you guys prefer? I'm kind of open ended on whether you pick or roll for powers.

My only caveat is that certain character types can only pick/roll from certain tables. For instance, if you want to play more of a Mystery Man type, then you'd roll or choose powers from Devices and/or Skills (though I'd allow magic/psionic items depending on the origin, as many mystical characters during the time period did use magic items over having actual powers).

So how about this: You can choose or roll powers at your discretion (and if you roll, you can change a power if it doesn't work with your concept).

Some basic archetypes:
Actual supers can use the Powers table, as well as skills

Mystery Men use the Skill table, and depending on the concept, Devices or Psionic/Magic items

Magic/Psychic types use the Magic/Psionics table, skills, and possible Magic/Psionic items (again depending on concept).

Science Heroes use Devices and skills

Anything that doesn't fit these basic archetypes we can discuss if need be.

If that sounds cool with you guys, I'll start putting together a word doc with all this info.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
John wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 5:53pm:

In other words, he's got a "face for radio"!  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2012 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
a classic period phrase lol

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #19 - May 20th, 2012 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Gerry,

Do you want to be here when we make up characters, or can we do it by ourselves?  And if the latter, what are the guidlines?

I would rather make up the Sweet Scientist if that is ok.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #20 - May 21st, 2012 at 3:09am
Print Post  
John wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 11:05pm:
Gerry,

Do you want to be here when we make up characters, or can we do it by ourselves?  And if the latter, what are the guidlines?

If everyone wants to work on them now, I'm ok with that. If not, we can always see about rolling them up next time we get together.

I haven't had time to work out any more guidelines other than what I posted earlier. I figure you just roll stats normally, etc.

As for powers, etc, you can either roll or choose; I don't have a problem with people choosing if they have a concept in mind, as long as you don't go overboard.

I'm trying to be somewhat flexible

John wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 11:05pm:
I would rather make up the Sweet Scientist if that is ok.

Of course! I look forward to seeing what he looks like

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #21 - May 21st, 2012 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
I'll probably roll him up with you since for some reason every concept character I come up with works out better as a random character instead. Except The Oni of course. He was a concept.

No matter what his name will be Dr. Mysterious. Whether it has anything to do with his powers or not.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - May 21st, 2012 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on May 21st, 2012 at 6:51pm:
I'll probably roll him up with you since for some reason every concept character I come up with works out better as a random character instead. Except The Oni of course. He was a concept.

No matter what his name will be Dr. Mysterious. Whether it has anything to do with his powers or not.

That's fine. I like the name too (and in the spirit of the genre, his powers don't have to fit the name anyway)

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #23 - May 21st, 2012 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
exactly. I mean, Mr Terrific was ok i guess, but hardly Terrific. Captain Triumph wasnt particularly triumphant. And Tarantula really didnt do anything

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - May 24th, 2012 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
I like this idea Gerry and John and Oni seem very enthusiastic and have some kewl ideas! I was thinking of an animated statue called the Ivory Avenger for playing in this new world.

here's a speed origin on the fly:

Dr Einhardt, a scientist and historian discovers a secret passage among the Stonehenge Monuments that leads to an ancient underground city. There he finds Seven statues, Guardians of an ancient time lost people that may have been Atlanteans. Each one is carved of a different substance and adorned with strange markings and knotwork reminiscent of ancient Celtic Art.  Dr Einhardt is thrilled by the discovery of a lifetime only to find his jubilation dashed by the Nazi's Thule society. The occult wing of Hitler's War machine had been casing Dr Einhardt for over a year and had used him to find the secret of Stonehenge. Now a prisoner of Hitler's thugs they chained him to one of the Guardians that seemed to be carved of some sort of white marble or ivory and the torture began. They wanted detailed info on the  statues. They believed they embodied some type of awesome magical power, perhaps a conduit between worlds. Once they had this information they promised to let Einhardt go but he pierced the veil of their lies all too easily. This discovery belonged to the world and its secrets and powers belonged to the Elders of Ancient times. He would die before letting narrow minded, goose-stepping thugs usurp this legacy of Human History. The Nazi's produced his wife and daughter as well as his Father. All beaten savagely and desecrated in unholy ways like animals. Einhardt wailed and cursed the Nazi's to hell with their fiend of a Fuher. He sobbed and apologized to his family as each one was pressed against him and executed, bathing him and the statue he was joined to in the blood of his kin until finally they turned their foul lugers upon him,emptied his blood onto the floor and left him for dead chained to the statue. As his life ebbed away there was a peel of Thunder, angry and muffled as though lightning had struck underwater. A light filled the room, blue and crisp and 12 Nazi's stared in disbelief as the great statue, it's celtic war paint glowing with brilliant turquoise, its carved armor ringing with the sounds of animate life and its eyes smoldering with White Hot Fury, set upon them and ripped them limb from limb easier than a vicious child pulls the wings from an insect to ease a summer's boredom.

The Ivory Giant knelt down as Dr Einhardt's last breaths fled his body. He smiled, "They would never had let a Jew like me live.." he rasped. "Their master is small and needs a great people to bring low to raise himself again but he has failed..." his words were soft...distant. "My blood has awakened you, the blood of a just man and his family , a man of truth and peace..do not let my sacrifice be in vain great one..".

A single tear of crystal blue flowed from a unblinking eye and mute stone lips seemed to quiver as though they lamented the inability to speak.

"Do not weep for me my Ivory Avenger..as long as you go into the world and herald the spirit of an ancient justice mine and my families rest will be peaceful indeed! Go forth and may the wicked fear your heavy step."

As Dr Einhardt's mind slipped into darkness the last image it embraced was an ivory face, brilliant and angelic and a voice thick and sweet, like honey on velvet "Be at peace and know that I will avenge you and all those like you. Sleep in the arms of the ancients"

Then the ancient, heavy foot of an Elder Guardian stepped forth onto a waking modern Earth and all creatures of darkness that dwelled upon it felt a slight, shivering chill... though they know not why.

Hmmmm....

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #25 - May 25th, 2012 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Stormdance,

Very cool concept! And having the Thule society in the background is a plus, since I hope to have them show up at least once. Got any idea what his powers might be?

John: I take it Sweet Scientist is both an expert at hand to hand combat and science. Does he have any gadgets?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #26 - May 25th, 2012 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Man. All I got was friggin Speed Bonus.

Type A  Angry

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #27 - May 25th, 2012 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 8:41pm:
Man. All I got was friggin Speed Bonus.

Type A  Angry

He only got 1 power?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #28 - May 25th, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
I was kidding. I did not roll him up yet.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #29 - May 25th, 2012 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 8:58pm:
I was kidding. I did not roll him up yet.

Ah, ok. I was going to say start over if that was all he got  Tongue

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #30 - May 25th, 2012 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
That would have been nice. You never know what will happen the way I have been rolling lately.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #31 - May 25th, 2012 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
John,

If it was not for those weaknesses I think The Public Eye would have fit in here nicely.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #32 - May 25th, 2012 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 10:15pm:
John,

If it was not for those weaknesses I think The Public Eye would have fit in here nicely.

The Public Eye? You could always change the weaknesses if the character fits

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #33 - May 26th, 2012 at 12:28am
Print Post  
The Sweet Scientist  is Archibald Sweet.  He was born and raised in Brooklyn.  His father was an academic but died early, forcing his mother to get jobs as a housecleaner.   He was naturally smart but also physcially big.
    He was a natural in the grid iron or in the classroom.   He took to boxing, which earned him a scholarship to ( Insert Your Comic Book University of Choice)  where he earned Many Advanced Degrees of Science.
      He is the Pugilist Proffessor.

His main weakness is that he obsessively denouces the supernatural, and claims that Science can explain everything.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #34 - May 26th, 2012 at 12:48am
Print Post  
I like it! Will be funny to see how he treats Ivory Avenger, seeing as he's a mystical statue  Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools

>