Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A Vehicle based Character Concept (Read 1977 times)
Darkstar
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

A Vehicle based Character Concept
Oct 5th, 2012 at 9:30am
Print Post  
So i've been working with Majestic on an idea i had, of creating a character with vehicle as his main concept. Think Knight Rider with a little bit of transformers worked in. here's what we've got so far to work with, i havent named him yet as im still trying to get a handle on how i want to play this out.

the first part i'll list the powers, we rolled all on the devices tab, but in our campaign, we can then select either from that roll on devices, or from the skills. we roll 4 powers, then choose up to two powers, and two weaknesses.

Then Majestic and i sort of tried massaging some of it to work in a concept, so things like android body (i turned down the idea of making the character itself an android that WAS the vehicle... after all i wanted it to be a person with a vehicle.)

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly welcomed! (the overall concept is that this guy at some point comes across an intelligent alien machine of some sort that becomes the vehicle most all of his powers are based around, and he bonds with it... in a man and his best friend sort of bond, rather then any sort of amalgam or other pairing.)
=============================================
54: Lightning control or (skill) H. Senses
32: H Agility B 16 or (skill) H. End A 5
04: Android Body or (skill) H. Agility A 13
44: Illusions or (skill) H. Expertise with one weapon

stats: 11, 11, 11, 14, 10 weight 200
=============================================
Name  yet to be named
identity yet to be determined
Side Good
Male

Str 11 (max 14)
End 11 (max 14)
Agi 27 (non augmented 11, Max 14) augmented max 30
Int 27 (Original 14)
Cha 10

Weight 200
BH 4

hp 18
pr 76

Acc 5
Dam 6

Inv 81%
detect hidden 20%
detect danger 24%
perception 13

Powers:
Devices
Lightning Control / Machine Empathy, Also permanent mental link with vehicle companion, able to interface with terrestrial computers and machines.

Heightened Agility B (+16) An exoskeletal harness (similar to a knee brace, but more compact and lower profile) of his own design, is able to overcome his paralysis and operate with heightened agility.

Armored Metal Body (Int +13) Transformation (able to reform and configure the car to armored suit, belt or any shape)   

Solid energy illusions can intuitively create almost any device imaginable using an uncanny and almost empathic ability to understand machines and to perceive "mechanical energy." Can create fantastic futuristic devices including cybernetic systems, Futuristic weapons, sophisticated holograms, and elaborate computer and fiber-optic systems.

Vehicle / Companion: vehicle of Superior technological origin, artificially intelligent (has its own intelligence score and can act without direction if required to). tied in with armored body, able to assume different shapes when needed, (armor suit for character, or car... Unique properties manipulate special properties allowing larger interior then exterior size allows, can shunt excess mass into spacial pockets of null gravity, allowing entire vehicle to be worn as a belt, as armored suit, or as a vehicle, and can provide excess material needed for the solid energy illusions. 

Flight: vehicle is able to nullify gravity and take flight, in any form, whether belt or armored suit or car or anything Imagined.   

Weaknesses.
Physical Handicap. Character is paralyzed, and cannot move around without aid of exoskeletal harness he invented. Cannot train physical stats (Str, Agi, End) beyond +3 (based on reduced stats Limit max 14 agi, 14 str, 14 end) Without agility booster, unable to walk or ambulate.

Phobia Psychosis: Extreme Monophobia related to his companion. Irrational fear of losing contact with companion, causing extreme anxiety and almost debilitating ability to concentrate and function.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: A Vehicle based Character Concept
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Maybe I'm not seeing it right but it looks like a bit more than 6 powers and 2 weakness

Couple of those powers seem to have multiple powerful abilities

Huh
Cool concept though

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
We're still hammering out a few of them, but one power - the one he rolled Android Body on - would normally give:

a) The benefits (and weaknesses) of Android Body
b) Heightened Endurance (we've switched this to the same bonus to Heightened Intelligence)
c) a Body Power

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
I'm shooting the player an email right now, but I'm basically proposing that he combine a bunch of the powers into one.

So, effectively, he rolled up the following:

Lightning Control
Heightened Agility
Android Body
Illusions

He then picks 1-2 powers, which (3.0-style) he can take at the same level as up to 1-2 weaknesses.

For those he chooses:

Vehicle (B)
Flight (B)

Physical Handicap (B)
Phobia/Psychosis (B)

I'm suggesting the power of "Machine Control", in which he would combine four powers: Lightning (for Control and Link), Android Body (Boost and Transformation), Illusions (Manipulation), and Flight (Flight), giving him:

Machine Control (with sub-abilities of Control, Link, Boost, Transformation, Manipulation, and Flight)

and also the powers of Heightened Agility (from a homemade harness) and Vehicle/Companion, along with two pretty potent weaknesses.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Where I put (B) above, that is our simple nomenclature for designating weak (A), medium (about rulebook level, or B), and strong (C).

Here's the details (for now, all of this is of course subject to change) on Machine Powers:

Machine Powers:
•      Control: one action, PR=3, requires a successful d20 I save and an Electronics d20 skill save, may take command of any terrestrial electronic, powered device, computer, or machine (entire systems may require multiple actions and rolls).
•      Link: has a mental link with [vehicle companion] while it is within Ix10 (270)”.
•      Boost: Intelligence +13.
•      Transformation: Able to configure and form [vehicle companion] into a suit around him, a belt, or any desired shape (extra mass shunted into a pocket dimension).
•      Manipulation: Works like Solid Energy Illusions; ‘Creation Points’ = double current Power; can intuitively create almost any device imaginable; one action, PR=3, requires at least 1 cubic foot of machinery.
•      Flight: Able to nullify gravity and fly in any form at a speed of X; PR=1/hour.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 5th, 2012 at 7:39pm:
I'm suggesting the power of "Machine Control", in which he would combine four powers: Lightning (for Control and Link), Android Body (Boost and Transformation), Illusions (Manipulation), and Flight (Flight), giving him:

Machine Control (with sub-abilities of Control, Link, Boost, Transformation, Manipulation, and Flight)

and also the powers of Heightened Agility (from a homemade harness) and Vehicle/Companion, along with two pretty potent weaknesses.

Before I read any of this thread, I was thinking you should have him have an Animated Servant who looks like David Hasselhoff... Cheesy

If you give him 'Machine' Control, eventualy that will bleed into all Machine Control and get away from the original concept of 'I just wanted a character with a vehicle'... why not give him Animated Servant, with the servant being the car? That way you have the control aspect, but if the car has AI it can act on its own natural behaviors when on its own.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2012 at 8:05pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
It just dawned on me that the further you develop the character in the thread, the more it turns into Madison Jeffries version of Box, with the physical limitations and psychosocial foibles of Roger Bochs.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2012 at 9:22pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Darkstar
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 10:37am
Print Post  
ok. i had never heard of Box, Madison Jeffries or Roger Bochs. quick google search later and...

it appears im copying the concept almost word for word.

Sad

well, that kind of where i was going, i just thought it was somewhat unique...

as for Majestics suggestions, i thought we didnt really want to go with a full on machine control, as that can really lend to foiling gm plans.. unless im mistaken on what we were discussing. is that power as suggested by majestic a game changer? (the control part?)

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Talked more with Darkstar today and worked out a bunch more of the details (and he was right, since he's cool with it, I've changed the "taking control" part of it back to more of an interfacing with machines, which is still cool and useful).

And yes, I was familiar with Box (he was one of those characters I mentioned to you on the phone, Darkstar), though I'd completely forgotten about Forge until Darkstar reminded me/sent me a link.

Take a gander at the most recent version.  I think he's tough and versatile, without being overpowered.

Character_Concept_2.pdf ( 43 KB | 8 Downloads )

IP Logged

Darkstar
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2012 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Ok so i think weve worked up a close to final, if not the final draft. Character Origin posted here...

http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=...

IP Logged

Robbls
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 6:14am
Print Post  
A 747 was halfway across the Atlantic when the captain got on the loud speaker, "Attention, passengers. We have lost one of our engines, but we can certainly reach London with the three we have left. Unfortunately, we will arrive an hour late as a r esult." Cheap Runescape Gold

Shortly thereafter, the passengers heard the captain's voice again, "Guess what, folks. We just lost our third engine, but please be assured we can fly with only one. We will now arrive in London three hours late." MapleStory Mesos

At this point, one passenger became furious. "For Pete's sake," he shouted, "If we lose another engine, we'll be up here all night!" D3 Gold

IP Logged

>