Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Blocking, Parrying and Sheilds (Read 7553 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Blocking, Parrying and Sheilds
Reply #35 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Swords and Shields.

Just to clarify, the bonuses given to you by your swords and or shields will be the last to do so.  This means if your shield is a +4 bonus, meaning instead of being hit on a 5 you get hit on a 1, any die roll of 2-5 will hit your shield.   If you didn't have the shield, it would have hit you, so shut up and let your shield get hit.

Then your shield takes the damage.   If the shield absorbs more than its SPs, then its broken and by by shield.   

However, you can roll with this just like you could with your normal damage.   If you roll with just 1 point, then your shield isn't broken ( unless your rolling amount is exceeded and it goes right back to the shield and the ST of the shield is exceeded.)

So  Captain Shield is punched in the face by  Rock.  Rock needs a 12 to hit Cap.  Cap's shield is worth 5 ( its a big shield!)  and now  Rock needs a 7 to hit Cap.

He rolls a 9.  He would have hit Cap if he didn't have his shield,  so the shield gets hit instead.

Rock scores 14 damage.   The shield has a structural rating of 12 and is in danger of being smashed to pieces.  So Cap lets his shield take 11 damage and he rolls with one, saving the shield.

Make sense?

This applies to swords when parrying.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #36 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
  In the above example,  Rock rolls  28 damage.   Cap lets his shield  take 11 damage and rolls with his maximum of 8.  This means that ten more damage needs to be accounted for, and the shield is smashed to pieces.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #37 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
There are some similarities with the way you do this and the way we do.  Ours is taken directly from the old Jeff Dee Dragon article from back in the 80's (now in the 3.1 rulebook).

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #38 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
John,

You want to apply the SP and breakage rules to weapons when parrying also? I can see it with a Block but it would seem the weapon would take less damage with a parry as that is more of an off lining defense. The question would then be why ever block with a weapon instead of parrying since the negative to be hit would be the same

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #39 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Cause a guy who can do 1d6 parrying a guy who can do 6d10 have some consequences.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #40 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Absolutely right. He should be concerned. I was going to suggest the SR be treated as twice the norm when parrying as it is a different defense from blocking.

A block is meant to absorb the incoming blow completely, a parry meant to off line and redirect the blow if possible.

In either case 1d6 man would be screwed by 6d10 man as Touches' Rapier would still be a mangled piece of metal if he tried to parry that heavy a blow.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #41 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Holy cow and I thought Champion rules were complex. Well they are but I have to say your guys long running campaigns house rules are giving them a run for their money.  Wink

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #42 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Nah, seems like just me making things more complicated than needed

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #43 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Its not really that complicated.  You just assume that the shield or the parry is the last thing to give a defense bonus.  If you come close to hitting, then you look it up.

I also use this with force fields.  If they would have hit the target if they didn't have a force field, then they hit the force field.   That way the field isn't always hit and the user doesn't always lose power.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #44 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 4:45am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 7:37pm:
That way the field isn't always hit

So what does the attacker hit if they roll under what they need to hit, but don't hit the force field?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #45 - Jan 26th, 2014 at 11:02am
Print Post  
If they roll under what they need to hit, and there is a force field, the field is always hit.   Assuming its a dome. 

If they roll so high they wouldn't have hit the person without a field, then no power is lost as the field wasn't hit at all.

Assuming its a personal field.  If the character makes a force field so big that the team is protected, then anything but a 20 hits the field.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #46 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
That makes sense.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools