Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Saving Throws vs HIGH stats (Read 34633 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Saving Throws vs HIGH stats
Mar 13th, 2013 at 8:26am
Print Post  
So I have been giving this some thought. Far more than the topic deserves, but I'm totally OC (not really a disorder). At any rate, here are my thoughts on the matter.

V&V is a game about Comic book super-heroes battling super-villains, and before a conversation an the topic can be started we all have to have that foremost in our minds. Crazy stuff happens in comic books. We don't normally think that Batman would trip over his own feet, or that Superman would catch "that bug that's going around". Yes, Batman might trip, and Superman might call in sick one day, but not from mundane causes. So we really need to have that in mind when discussing such matters in V&V.

A lot has been written here on the very topic that it seem unfair that a character with an Endurance of 60 has the same 5% chance of catching some disease as a character with an endurance of 19.

The V&V 2nd edition rules point out that saving throws may be made vs either 1d20 or 1d100. 1d100 is nice for more-powerful characters, but is pretty harsh for guys with stats under 50. 1d20 is great for lower-powerd characters, but becomes a stumbling block once a stat exceeds 19.

The legacy adventure 2024 "The Secret in the Swamp" used Stat x3 vs 1d100, which works well enough for stats up to about 33ish.

The new-era Adventure "Final Fight with the Furies" introduces a new twist. It uses a little more math (and includes a well-made table), but then V&V players love math anyway, so that's not so harsh.

And, of course, I have taken a whack at the issue here: http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=...

Not one of these solutions is perfect. Some GMs and players may love one but really dislike another, although they are attempts to solve very the same issue. So, what to do?

The first thing we must understand is that V&V requires a good GM. Some games don't require much at all from a GM - Battletech is a great example of such a game. For the most part, however, every Super-Hero RPG requires a good GM. I've looked into this. I've played other systems. They all require a good GM, and V&V is still the best, even with its flaws. That being said, it's really the GM's call on when to make a player perform a saving throw for his/her character.

As a contributor, I understand the desire on the part of many to fix this issue. But as a GM, I want it left alone because it gives me a lot of flexibility. Sometimes I make really powerful characters roll vs a Stat "just because". Sometimes I think there is some justification for making the character roll a save, and I'm seeing the 5% failure chance as a way to break up the monotony of games filled with Supermen. And sometimes I make everyone roll for a very sound reason, but if the guy with an AGL of 198 fails on a roll of 20, I just have something embarrassing happen to him (or even allow him to make a second save vs the same stat and only have bad things happen if he rolls two "20"s in a row - 1:1,600400 chance).

Also, as a contributor, I'm not really permitted to discuss what I feel is the best solution here in an open forum.

There are, of course, as many solutions as there are GMs, and whatever solution works best for you is the right one. But keep something in mind, when the rules get in the way of the story - toss the rules, run with the story.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2013 at 8:41pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Re: Saving Throws vs HIGH stats
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 8:59am
Print Post  
LOL..yeah...

When a rule gets in the way of story...change it or ignore as needed...STORY.. is king!

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Lol me and TB agree 100%. I'd rather "role" play than "roll" play and day of the week. It's a lazy GM that any have fun with the fact Supes rolled 03 on the die and then find a fun way to make it part of his story. Use what works for you and chuck what doesn't. All analogies breakdown at some point so do rules that simulate a physically impossible universe. Have fun

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Mar 13th, 2013 at 9:14am:
I'd rather "role" play than "roll" play and day of the week.

Nailed it!

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Mar 15th, 2013 at 10:53pm:
Ranger wrote on Mar 13th, 2013 at 9:14am:
I'd rather "role" play than "roll" play and day of the week.

Nailed it!

Agreed. - very insightful, Ranger.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Now then... We have partly settled the matter of saves vs really high stats - that being said, if anyone has another thought on the matter, by all means post that sucker in here. But I'm gonna drift on this one a little - hope you can forgive the indulgence.

A long time ago, a guy named Gary Gygax wrote a book about Role-playing. In it he mentions that many players and GM's have the rules committed to memory, and fully understand each rule, but that they fail to see how all the rules work together to form a complete game system.

In the real world, I know how a hydraulic pump works, I know what flaps do, but unless I can put the system together, I can't "see" how flaps actually function. And how a problem with one can cause a problem with the other (it gets even better when we delve into wing de-ice and cabin pressurization systems).

I believe that the normal tendency to see how one aspect of the rules works, without seeing how it fully effects the game is partly at the heart of some player's issues with the 5% auto fail/succeed on saving throws. Remember that for every "higher" stat, your character gets some kind of benefit (Accuracy, damage, healing rate, HP, power, movement, Inventing %,  etc...). These many benefits tend to balance the 1:20 / 5:100 chance of failing a saving throw. When we add modifiers to saving throws, it gets even more "interesting". Let's say that there is a REALLY complex techno-thing on a wall that must be calibrated... Well, it's really hard, so there is a -20 modifier on the saving throw VS INT. A character with an INT of 20, has a 5% chance of succeeding, which is not so great, but another character with an INT of 40 still has a 95% of calibrating the really complex techno-thing. Sure without modifiers the two characters have the same odds of success, but even smart guys have "bone head" moments (turns out Stephen Hawking had one - and it was published). And hey, we've all seen Olympic athletes fail, fall, miss, and generally screw up (like the boxer who forgot to set his alarm clock and missed his bout!) - and that event is what they have dedicated their LIVES to - why shouldn't a Vigilante have a stupid/clumsy/weak moment?

But wait! there's more!

In order to give "unpowered" characters a chance at making a save, there is always a 5% chance that (no matter the real odds) a character will make a saving throw. Most of us see that as almost negligible, but we also see the same odds of failing as a problem. If saving throws were all we used our stats for, I would agree - it's an issue. But our characters' stats effect so many things beyond simple saves. If we, as Ranger said, "ROLL" play, instead of "ROLE" play, the issues we see due to isolation of one rule from the game as a whole only multiply, and the game begins to fall apart, or become a different system, and if you really want to play Mutants & Masterminds or Icons, then play those, but don't call these games V&V.

It is my opinion that the 5% rule on saves is a role-playing mechanism that keeps game play interesting. After all, how interesting is an adventure when you know your character will never fail an AGL or INT save, and cannot be harmed by non-god-level weapons? Yawn... Theodore Roosevelt made a great speech about failure. In it he says that what makes a great man "great" is not that he never fails, but that he never stops trying. A hero who never fails is a god - not all that interesting to play. What is far more interesting (and makes for better story-telling and therefore gaming sessions) is overcoming failures or stumbling blocks. This is common in comic books, novels, TV, movies - it should also be in our games. That 5% failure/success almost forces the GM to tell a better story.

These as just my thoughts on the matter. As always I welcome ya'll's thoughts as well.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2013 at 1:54pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
  Personally I enjoy some of the outcomes of a critical fumble. Whether it be a 20 or a 96+. Hell I seem to have made it an Art form lately with some of my characters rolls.

It depends on what the GM does with it and John has come up with some really good story lines after I screw up a roll.

Critical hits have a good effect of course also but a double damage Power Blast is short term though exciting at the time and can obviously change an outcome or at least the time it took to take out the Baddies. Also John created the rule where if you hit by more than 10 points of what you needed it becomes so devastating that the receiver of the hit cannot even roll with it. Solid Hit Rule. I think that rule separates the High powered and street level character enough also.

A character with a 35 Agility really should catch the falling baby most of the time and I also understand the question of why should the character with a 21 Agility be treated the same as the character with a 35 Agility.

I don't think that the higher Agility character should be punished but a simple solution may be to let them roll the difference that is left over after the 20 for example.

Dr Agile has a 35 Agility and rolls a 20 for his Agility save. OK normally that is a failure for anyone. Give him another roll. If he rolls 1-14 he saves and catches said falling Baby. If he rolls a 15-20 it is still a critical failure.

Like I said. I like the Criticals but I think this is the simplest option for someone with a very high score and still leaves room for error though greatly lessened, which is well deserved since the score is so high. It could still be combined with difficulty of task also.

I'll just keep rolling my 20's and 96's and enjoy what happens, I hope.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2013 at 4:26pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I roll vs d20 or d100 for everything.   Not everything needs to be so complicated.

If you have an agilty of 20 you will only fail to miss a catch on a 20.   Same if you have  a 89 aglitity.   Big Deal!

Its just catching something.

But to figure out something, say an encrypted computer code designed by  Joe Normal,  save Id20, IF you know something about computer programing.  D100 if you do not.   

But if you want to figure out an encrypted computer code by Joe Genius, then I would slap -10 penalty on you I for purposes of that roll.   So A 20 Int becomes a 10 and so on.
Now all your super stats mean something!

So if its an unchallenged stat roll,  once you hit 21 or so, you are super.  You are SUPPOSED to succeed.

The high stats come in when its a challenged die roll.

So when you are engaged in a game of wits with Joe Genius,  you better have a high Int score to deal with his Int score or you are not going to make it,  35 intelligence or not!

Does this make sense?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I have no idea what you just said, my I is a 4.

Sad

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
It makes sense to me, and I think I agree with most of what has been said recently.  The 5% chance of failure represents the opportunity for the GM to come up with something fun and interesting; a complication which adds to the story!

I love the "Wild Die" mechanic in d6 Star Wars, and it comes up even more often (1 out of 6 times!)  Sometimes the GM just lets things roll, but in others that "1" rolled means the chance to have something interesting happen (think of when Han Solo sneaks up on the Stormtrooper in "Return of the Jedi" and steps on a twig, which cracks under his boot and alerts the bad guy of his ambush).  Cool

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:55pm:
I have no idea what you just said, my I is a 4.

Sad

. . . or my normal response of "Duh, ummm ... what was my target number again!" Wink

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 1:48pm
Print Post  

JOHN, you make perfect sense.

Not to go over-nerd here, but
"Sokath, his eyes uncovered!"

John, you make perfect sense - that is the way I have been playing the game for decades. No need for added math or tables. You just slap on modifiers (based upon the combat rules). SO... You have a AGL of 90 (why not?) On a -70 modifier you STILL have a 95% chance of success! You are... SUPER!

A few people are worked up over this, thinking it has to be fixed. But if you had to roll a 1 on d20 to succeed you would be like "There's no way! I'm hosed! This game sucks!". But that same 1:20 chance seems totally unacceptable when<edit> it is the chance of failure for a high-stat character.</edit>

John wrote on Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:42pm:
So when you are engaged in a game of wits with Joe Genius,  you better have a high Int score to deal with his Int score or you are not going to make it,  35 intelligence or not!

EZZAKLY!

As an alternate if two guys are having a straight up "STAT OFF", you just roll like initiative - 1d10+STAT
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2013 at 12:02pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Here is a simple solution for characters with stats over 20 (in regard to a d20 save).

Roll d20.  If you roll a 20, roll again and add, then continue if you roll a 20 again, up to the point that you either stop rolling 20s, or surpass the character's stat.  If you have to stop before you hit the stat, the character succeeds, even if they rolled 3 20's and a 2, but their stat is 63.

Example:  Chupacadabra has an Intelligence of 44.  He is trying to figure out a puzzle.  He makes a d20 save.  He rolls a 20. Then he rolls another d20, getting a 17.  He succeeded at the task because his total is 37, which is less than 44.

Easy, simple, and just a couple of possible extra die rolls.  Rewards high stats, doesn't penalize low stats.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
As a matter of fact, I just made that my permanent house rule.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Okay - so you have a 95% chance of success on that first roll - totally consistent with ye olde rules.
Then you have another 95% chance of success on the second d20 roll - still okay.
Then on the third roll you have a 20% chance of success (assuming Chupacadabra [very nice] has a STAT of 44)

Let's face it, he's probably never going to have to roll the third d20. AND, lower stat characters still get their 5% (at least) chance to succeed.

So - not a bad method.

Cool.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2013 at 12:01pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I like the simplicity and elegance of this method.  Cool

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #16 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Hmmm... This is not a bad ruling actually!  I think I'll ask my players what they think of it.  Thanks! Smiley

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #17 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 2:44pm:
Yeah, I like the simplicity and elegance of this method.  Cool

Agreed ... not that I mind math , but simple is gooood Smiley

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I am using a slightly altered variant of Jeff Dee's Saves & Tasks system that I found a link for a while ago. It does seem to make a difference, especially when you add in difficulty modifiers.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Easy enough to add modifiers to this.  Just add the modifier to the Stat and try to roll equal to or under.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
As an aside, I did spot another instance of rolling d100 vs Stat x3. the first one is in "Secret in the Swamp" and is Agility based, the other is in "Pentacle Plot" (page 7) and is INT based.

Just nice to know Statx3 vs d100 was used more than once. It also lend some credence to the notion that it is a "real" method for rolling saves, even if it only really works up to a stat of 31.

Easy Save: Stat vs d20
Medium Save: Statx3 vs d100
Hard Save: Stat vs d100

Now... where did I put my medication...

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #21 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 4:50pm:
As an aside, I did spot another instance of rolling d100 vs Stat x3. the first one is in "Secret in the Swamp" and is Agility based, the other is in "Pentacle Plot" (page 7) and is INT based.

Just nice to know Statx3 vs d100 was used more than once. It also lend some credence to the notion that it is a "real" method for rolling saves, even if it only really works up to a stat of 31.

Super-Hard Save: Stat vs 2d100

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 4:50pm:

Super-Easy Save: Stat vs. 1d6

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #23 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Polarboy! You GENIUS!!!!

IT'S SO SIMPLE

Die rolls vs AGL for various tasks:

<edit>
Difficulty       Saving Throw    Example (AGL based)
No Brainer       Stat vs 1d4      Chewing Gum
Very Simple      Stat vs 1d6      Tying Shoes
Simple           Stat vs 1d8      Jumping Rope
Normal           Stat vs 1d10      Running down stairs
Challenging      Stat vs 1d12      Skateboarding
Hard             Stat vs 1d20      Olympic Gymnastics
Really hard      Stat x 3 vs d100      Hollywood action movie stunts (as seen on the screen, not as filmed)
Basically Impossible     Stat vs 1d100      Kung-Fu Movie acrobatics
Entirely Impossible      Stat vs 2d100      Any stunt on Kick Buttowski.

</edit>
(To see what I originally posted, see Polarboy's post - when I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll do what I can to fix it, not make dumb excuses)

BOOM! Greatest saving rule EVER! Complete with benchmarks and (almost) NO MATH... BA-ZING!

whoa... the colors...

Oh! wowww.... maaannnn... good nyborg.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:07am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #24 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 9:27pm:
Polarboy! You GENIUS!!!!

IT'S SO SIMPLE

Die rolls vs AGL for various tasks:

Walking and chewing gum: 1d6
Catching a pop-fly: 1d8
Catching a screaming line drive : 1d10
Catching a ferret with bare hands 1d12
Catching a fish with bare hands: 1d20
Catching a bird with bare hands: 1d100 vs AGLx3
Catching a bat with bare hands: 1d100
Catching a bat while wearing oven mits and high heals: 2d100

BOOM! Greatest saving rule EVER! Complete with benchmarks and NO MATH... BA-ZING!

whoa... the colors...

Oh! wowww.... maaannnn... good nyborg.

In my book, catching an animal is an attack roll, not a stat-based saving throw.

Perhaps you are using the optional rules that AK/JB developed. That, of course, is your choice.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #25 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
I blame the NYBORG!

okay... sooo...

Saves vs AGL:
Walking and chewing gum: 1d4
Playing Hop-scotch: 1d6
Walking a straight line for Officer Pulaski: 1d8
Walking a straight line after a few adult beverages: 1d10
Walking a tight rope: 1d12
Dodging a hwacha barrage: 1d20
Performing any stunt from Kick Buttowski: 1d100
Avoiding damage from an exploding bomb: 2d100

Of course a "1" is a success, while a max roll on d4 - d20 is a fail (95-00 on d100, and 90-00 on d200).

Better?

Ba-ZING! Improved Best saving roll system ever!

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:14pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #26 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:03pm:
I blame the NYBORG!

okay... sooo...

Saves vs AGL:
Walking and chewing gum: 1d4
Playing Hop-scotch: 1d6
Walking a straight line for Officer Pulaski: 1d8
Walking a straight line after a few adult beverages: 1d10
Walking a tight rope: 1d12
Riding a bicycle along a tight rope: 1d20
Performing any stunt from Kick Buttowski: 1d100
Avoiding damage from an exploding bomb: 2d100

Exploding bombs make attack rolls in the V&V rulebook. You must be using AK/JB's optional rules on that one.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #27 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Guilty. I told him I would at least try it.

Did a slightly better job in the edit of reply #23.

Like I've said before, when I see Polarboy has replied to one of my posts I think "$#@&! I screwed something up!"
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:57am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #28 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Clarification on the above:

Just so you'se guys know, that whole different dice representing different difficulty levels for making a save was tongue-in-cheek. Using all those dice might kinda fun for a game or two, but would rapidly spiral out of control.

Also, as Polarboy indicated, even when I'm just joking around, I need to be accurate - thus the corrections.

LATER  Smiley

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #29 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
lol Naw that thure are purt darn funny ha, dan't care who ya ar.  Wink

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #30 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
A player must save vs. Inteligence d20 to correctly pick up a d8 instead of a d10 (or vice versa).

Optional rule: The player adds +1 on the skill roll per level of the highest-level character the player ever played.

A player who accidentally rolled the wrong die (and anyone else at the gaming table)  notices the mistake afterward by making a successful roll to Detect Hidden.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:07pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #31 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
A player must save vs. Agility d20 or look awkward and ungraceful when rolling d4.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #32 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Niiiice...

Do you have to roll d20 v INT to correctly read a d30?

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #33 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:49pm:
Mark & Quote Quote
Niiiice...

Do you have to roll d20 v INT to correctly read a d30?

Of course.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #34 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Smiley Too much fun!

I was flipping through my old BESM book (Big Eyes, Small Mouth - the defunct anime RPG). It had a nice little sidebar in it that pertains to this basic subject:

When to ROLL:
* When the unpredictability of the dice adds excitement to the game
* The action is foreign to the character
* The character is distracted and cannot focus
* Another character or NPC is working directly against the character
* Pure luck
* The action is not of trivial difficulty
* Outside forces influence the action
* The player or GM wants to roll dice

When NOT to roll DICE:
* A roll would reduce the enjoyment of the game
* The action is routine for the character
* The action is performed by an NPC and will have no impact on any characters or NPC;s in the game
* The action requires a trivial amount of talent compared to the character's Stat level.

It may be from a different game, but these rules are universal.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:35pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>