Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Saving Throws vs HIGH stats (Read 34634 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Saving Throws vs HIGH stats
Reply #35 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:34pm:
Mark & Quote Quote
Smiley Too much fun!

I was flipping through my old BESM book (Big Eyes, Small Mouth - the defunct anime RPG). It had a nice little sidebar in it that pertains to this basic subject:

When to ROLL:
* When the unpredictability of the dice adds excitement to the game
* The action is foreign to the character
* The character is distracted and cannot focus
* Another character or NPC is working directly against the character
* Pure luck
* The action is not of trivial difficulty
* Outside forces influence the action
* The player or GM wants to roll dice

When NOT to roll DICE:
* A roll would reduce the enjoyment of the game
* The action is routine for the character
* The action is performed by an NPC and will have no impact on any characters or NPC;s in the game
* The action requires a trivial amount of talent compared to the character's Stat level.

It may be from a different game, but these rules are universal.

When in doubt, make like Two-Face and flip a coin to determine whether or not to roll a die.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #36 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Well, the concept is that if a character has an INT of ... 160, why roll to see if he can solve the NYT Crossword? Or if he has an AGL of 60, do we really need to roll to see if he avoids that suddenly-opening chasm? Some GM's would say "YES!" others would disagree. I would say "Yes, if it was a critical moment in the campaign. Otherwise, no."

And there are times when I basically flip Two-Face's coin.

It's the old argument of Role play vs Roll play, I guess. I pick the former.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #37 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 12th, 2013 at 6:16pm:
Well, the concept is that if a character has an INT of ... 160, why roll to see if he can solve the NYT Crossword? Or if he has an AGL of 60, do we really need to roll to see if he avoids that suddenly-opening chasm? Some GM's would say "YES!" others would disagree. I would say "Yes, if it was a critical moment in the campaign. Otherwise, no."

And there are times when I basically flip Two-Face's coin.

It's the old argument of Role play vs Roll play, I guess. I pick the former.

When it doubt, roll dice to determine whether to flip a coin to determine whether or not to roll dice.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #38 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Grin Nicely played!

If only Abbot and Costello had played RPGs...

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #39 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 8:47am:
Nicely played!

If only Abbot and Costello had played RPGs...

Roll 1d8 to determine the name of each ball player.

1. Who
2. What
3. I Don't Know
4. Why
5. Because
6. Tomorrow
7. Today
8. I Don't Care

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #40 - May 1st, 2013 at 8:53am
Print Post  
But seriously...

So it's been drilled into my head that an increase of "1" in a basic characteristic equals a 5% change on a save vs d20. This is, obviously, true. Why? Because Basic Char vs 1d20 is shorthand for "Basic Char x 5 vs 1d100". And we all know that saves vs a Characteristic may be optionally made on Basic Char vs 1d100 when things get harder. These two methods of rolling a save represent two ends of the same scale. The easier a task, the higher the Basic Char multiplier value, and the lower higher the difficulty, the lower the multiplier. Simple right?

It’s not explicitly stated in the rules anywhere, but after a bit of use it becomes pretty obvious that Basic Char vs 1d20 is an easier save than Basic Char vs 1d100. There are also variations mentioned in legacy adventures, like Basic Char x3 vs 1d100. It makes sense then that there should be modifiers between x5 and x3, and x3 and x1 (namely x4 and x2).

Basic Char x 5 vs 1d100: BASE Difficulty (Equals "Basic Char vs 1d20").
Basic Char x 4 vs 1d100: Trying – Solving NYT Sunday crossword puzzle (in pen?).
Basic Char x 3 vs 1d100: Challenging – Final exam in Algebra
Basic Char x 2 vs 1d100: Difficult – College Mulitvariable Calculus
Basic Char x 1 vs 1d100: Very difficult – Orbital dynamics

It turns out I’m not alone in thinking this way. I received an e-mail a little while ago with the MHG rules for saves and whadaya know? They called out almost the same thing. And here I thought I was being clever… Oh, well… Still, I don’t read any MHG stuff (because I submit only to FGU and need to keep things to their rules. I figure I get confused pretty easy as it is, so it’s best not to mix in too many other rules), so it’s kinda cool that we were thinking along similar lines.

Of course, a roll can be made easier or harder by changing the multiplier even more.

AMAZINGLY DIFFICULT: Basic Char x 0.5 vs 1d100
AMAZINGLY EAZY: Basic Char x 10 vs 1d100

Of course, not all rolls are “Necessary” (see my earlier post on that subject).

So how does this effect characters with “Really High Stats”? I’m glad you asked. Aside from the many benefits received from high stats (earlier post), the character receives a bonus to all of his/her save rolls.

First, our “Average Jo”
Basic Char: 10
x5 = 50%
x4 = 40%
x3 = 30%
x2 = 20%
x1 = 10%

Now for “Astonishing Lass”
Basic Char: 45
x5 = 95%
x4 = 95%
x3 = 95%
x2 = 90%
x1 = 45%

Finally “Captain Above-Average”
Basic Char: 20
x5 = 95%
x4 = 80%
x3 = 60%
x2 = 40%
x1 = 20%

As you can see, Astonishing Lass has a MUCH better chance of making her saves than Average Jo, and better chances than Captain Above-Average. Sure, she still maxes out at 95% (per the rules), but if the GM really wants to, he/she can just ignore the rules (let’s be honest, any “Rules Variant” is essentially guidance on how to ignore an existing rule - neither good nor bad), and go his/her own way (maybe use a different roll, or set Basic Char x2 as “base difficulty”).

Changing the floor and ceiling may also work:

<edit>
Basic Char x5 01-05 success, 96-100 fail
Basic Char x4 01-04 success, 97-100 fail
Basic Char x3 01-03 success, 98-100 fail
Basic Char x2 01-02 success, 99-100 fail
Basic Char x1 01 success, 100 fail

DANG IT! I knew what I meant to say, I just didn't type it up correctly. Sorry, people.</edit>

I still simply modify the target to match the circumstances. (Basic Char x"X") +/- "Y" vs d20/d100 works pretty well to fine-tune the difficulty.

Anyway, do whatever makes your game run best and produces the most fun.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 11:19am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #41 - May 1st, 2013 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I'm submitting this for completeness... and perusal by any and all interested.

Enjoy!

Skill_system_001.pdf ( 108 KB | 27 Downloads )

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #42 - May 1st, 2013 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Just so ya'll know - I have heard no rumors that a skill system is in the works for V&V (FGU side). The PDF in the above post is just something I typed up one afternoon a while back and decided to share with T-bolt. I have had other discussions about a skill system with other players and contributors, which lead me to the ideas contained within the file. I really don't think anything here is Earth-shattering.

As for the save mods... again, nothing Earth-shattering, just a quick write-up of some simple mechanics for saves.

Together, however, the two write-ups do show the benefits received from increased Basic Characteristic levels beyond the simple save.

Just to be clear, I'm not writing any of this as an FGU contributor, I'm writing all of it as a V&V player and fan.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2013 at 11:32pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #43 - May 1st, 2013 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
fait accompli...

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #44 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I would call this deafening silence

I am beginning to suspect that saves versus really high basic characteristics is not all that common.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #45 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it's pretty rare in my game.  And I'd be inclined to keep things simple (d20 or d100).  Though I do really like the keep rolling d20s (if you get a 20) option as another simple way of handling things.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #46 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
When d20 seems too easy and d100 seems too hard, I'm sticking with d30.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #47 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
The d30 save does fascinate me. I guess I'll have to order one. Where did you go to get yours, Polarboy?

Oh - how big is it? I may have to build a new Dice Boot if it is too large...

<edit>
I found this... it also intrigues me...
http://www.gmdice.com/d-total-dice-18-dice-in-one
</edit>

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:04pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #48 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Well, I am getting a d30  - as soon as I find one in the right color.

To be honest, I use on-line die rollers, android dice apps, and even excel spreadshets to roll dice. I still really like real dice though.

I also keep in mind what Mr. Gygax said:

The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.
Gary Gygax
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/gary_gygax.html#DM5BPmd6La1c4ggi.99

I remember playing a session of some spy game back in 1989 or 1990 in Savannah. Two things happened that made me reconsider die rolls as being absolute. First I failed a "driving" skill roll. The GM rolled, consulted his tables, and announced that I had rolled a Lamborghini Countach. I could see a skid into a building, but flipping a Lambo? I don't think so. Second I stepped around a corner and took shotgun blast to the chest and died - on my first actual role-paying turn (I flipped the car on the way to pick up another agent). I died because that's what the GM rolled... That got me thinking - maybe the dice are not always right. Today we refer to this as the difference between ROLE-PLAY and ROLL-PLAY.

</soapbox>

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #49 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I've never had a problem with characters either dying or suffering other consequences as a result of die roles. This might have something to do with the perspectives of the D&D players who introduced me to gaming back in the day. The fact that something negative might happen as a result of a die role doesn't lessen role playing for me. How the player characters act in the face of the improbable die rolls is very much role playing.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2013 at 8:35pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #50 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I don't have the issue of the dice telling me a character is dead or stuff like that. I have learned from previous experience to flex. Heck sometimes  even roll a random die and pretend to look up a table - this buys me time to come up with a fun/nearly believable way out of the character's predicament. Kind of parallel to what you said, Polarboy, a lot of role-play happens in the face of a nearly impossible roll, or right after a failed save.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #51 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 8:56am
Print Post  
As you guys know, I read other games. I was reading "Bubblegum Crisis" from R. Talsorian and found this near the end:

When (and when not) to cheat: This is a very simple rule. When you cheat, cheat on the side of the players. That’s it.
Let’s elaborate. Say your players have been trapped in a flooded room. There are enough aqualungs on the floor for everyone. You make everyone roll Athletics to don the ‘lungs, and one player fails.
Do you let him drown? No. It’s not his fault that the dice failed him. Instead you simply make him sweat some more: “As you struggle to don the aqualung, you’re choking down water and seeing spots. You just manage to get it on in time.” Why? Because you should never kill a [character] for something inconsequential. If they do die, you want to make sure it’s because they did something really dumb, or in a fight where they lost fair and square. There will be times when you need to fudge a die roll or an outcome to keep the story moving…

This is not the only game to express this concept, but it is a really well-stated example. It also goes along with my overall point that it is not the dice that rule the game but the GM and the players. That's why I rolled a lambo while driving the speed limit - the GM thought the Dice were in charge of the game - and I didn't know (or care) enough to argue the matter. It's the same reason why we have things like "Variant Rules for Saving Rolls", and why we have some of our house rules; players and GM's sometimes forget who is really in charge. This, of course, begs the question; "Why do we need dice at all?" The big secret in RPG's - we don't need the dice at all Shocked  But they look nice and are fun to play with  Roll Eyes so we keep them in the game. They are also useful in adding the aspect of uncertainty and random chance to the game, which helps make the games more fun. In reality, however, all a die roll really does is push part of the story in a certain direction, or cause spontaneous Role Play on the part of the players.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2013 at 9:46am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #52 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
While in general I agree with the sentiments expressed here, I'm not sure that everyone agrees with this or sees things this way.  PC deaths are rare in my games, but they have happened (even in my four color Guardians game), and not just from doing something stupid.

Some games (and genres) are just meant to be more grim and gritty.  While it might not be appropriate for a character to die in one game, in another it might be totally acceptable and appropriate.  Some times (and in some settings), actions can have very harsh consequences.

I think the more important point is that the dice are there to add excitement and drama.  If characters know that they will succeed, no matter what, the game (and situation) loses a lot of its tension; the thrill disappears.

So even if you do things as written above, you want to make sure it doesn't look that way, as it has the potential to drain the excitement from the game.  Danger and negative consequences are parts of some games, and if the PCs don't have anything to lose, they may not truly appreciate the challenges they overcome.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #53 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:37pm:
I think the more important point is that the dice are there to add excitement and drama.  If characters know that they will succeed, no matter what, the game (and situation) loses a lot of its tension; the thrill disappears.

Agreed. Without the dice it is simply one guy telling some other people a story. Without the uncertainty of a die roll the game looses a lot of the excitement. The other side of the coin is that mindlessly following the dice is also counter productive as it removes a lot of he Role Play. But failure to succeed is not always "death", just something unexpected. Even the VV2 rules state that the death of a character should be exceedingly rare and the character should get a saving throw (1d00 vs power) to be miraculously saved. Even then, it's possible for characters to return from the dead - some NPC in the area is likely to have "Revivification".

Don't think I am anti-dice. Like I said above they do add to the game. I even use them in my games (shocking... I know). It's actually why I am adamant about keeping that 5% chance to fail on any save, no matter what your BC is (Would you read a comic where the hero could never fail?). But dice are only one tool used by gamers and GMs.

What I think I was trying to say in my previous post is this: "Play the game, don't let the dice play for you".

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Templar
Apprentice

Reply #54 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
As a long-time Dungeon master, a little secret I never let my players find out, is that, the only way I will kill you off, is if you act stupidly... or if i need a good old DM cleansing session (insert evil laugh here)

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #55 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 11:16am
Print Post  
YUP!
Well, you can give a character a "Heroic Death" too. But "Death by Stupidity" is completely acceptable. The nice thing about V&V is that it's actually pretty hard to kill a character. Also - A villain MAY actually help save a Vigilante. "When you die, Hero - I'm gonna be the cause! Until then, you owe me one."

Death by failed saving throw just seems ...  dunno ... "Cheap". It lacks "drama".

But then, In V&V (as I said above) dead does not always mean "DEAD". And a Revived character may have lost experience or memories, maybe a power is degraded somewhat, or the experience of dying bestows upon the character new powers/weaknesses.

So - that 5% chance to fail on a saving roll is not normally going to be a "5% chance of utter failure and probably death". It is normally just a dramatic setback. That's why most "traps" do not involve atomic bombs, weapons-grade anthrax, or Burmese tiger traps.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #56 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Completely agree.  There's been a number of deaths among the Guardians, and more than a few times it's been by the design of the player, as a way for them to bring their character back with all-new powers, look, and abilities (usually with a new name as well!).

In our last session, the bad guy (a major demon) was wiping the floor with the PCs.  Things were looking quite bleak for everyone, and my character, Compass - always a sarcastic smart ass anyway - decided to offer himself up as a sacrifice if the group would be spared.  The Guardians leader, Quiasar, offered himself up as well, but Compass persuaded Q-Man to let him do this (Compass had personally gotten under the skin of the enemy with his snark earlier, and he figured they really wanted him most, anyway).

Let me tell you: I fully expected my character to die/be killed.  I was honestly quite surprised when the GM decided to allow Compass to "come back", though the GM didn't let the other players know this for some time, allowing for some suspense.  When Compass was finally returned, he is now tormented by nightmares (you can read the whole summary in issue #377).
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:09pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #57 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Oh, that IS nice.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #58 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
As the saying goes, Those who live by the die, die by the die.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #59 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 2:44am
Print Post  
All I saw was DIE DIE DIE.

Wink

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #60 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
There was a RPG rulebook published in 1999 called "Violence."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_%28role-playing_game%29

It had some rules regarding larger-than-d20 rolls:
When the rules call for a D40 (forty-sided die), instead roll a D4 and a D10
simultaneously; the number appearing on the D10 shall constitute the "ones" digit of
the required number. Subtract 1 from the D4 roll to generate the "tens" digit. A roll of
"00" shall be equivalent to "40". Example: A "1" appears on the D4, and an "8" on the
D10. Subtracting "1" from the D4 roll produces "0"; consequently, the numerical result
is "08", or just "8".

Similarly, when the rules call for a D60 roll, use a D6 and D10 simultaneously; for
a D80 roll, a D8 and D10; and for a D100 roll, two D10s.

D30 die-rolls can be generated in two ways. One is to roll a D6 and D10 simultaneously;
the D6 roll needs to be halved (rounding up), with one subtracted from the result
to produce the tens digit. Alternatively, it is possible to purchase thirty-sided dice, albeit
they are less commonly available than most polyhedral dice.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #61 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Okay, I love that die rolling mechanic. It makes sense, it's different, and could even be fun. Thanks for posting that Display Name - I have to be honest, I would never have thought of that Smiley

For V&V, however, there are actually several instances in the rules and adventures that continue to push me towards the Basic Characteristic x [X] or less on d100 (or d% - they kind of used the terms interchangeably in the V&V rules).

It is actually pretty simple, and allows a task that may be impossible for a character with an I of 18 to be challenging for a character with an I of 30, and still easy for the character with an I of 100.

Edited:
Additional verbosity
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2015 at 7:16am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>