Normal Topic Power Nullification (Read 1103 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Power Nullification
Feb 11th, 2014 at 4:01am
Print Post  
Power Nullification: The character has the ability to suppress or nullify superpowers. The character may choose which of the two varieties he possesses:

a) The character has no conscious control over his power, and it can't be shut it off. It affects everyone, friend and foe alike, within the affected radius. R=10”, PR=0.

b) By expending an action, the character can select who is affected by his power. The effective Range (actually radius of effect) is = to the character’s Charisma score. PR=8 per turn.

Note: Another version of this power could affect electrical/electronic devices preventing them from working in the character's presence.

I tried to keep this simple and clean, hopefully it is. If anyone uses this, I'd really like to hear some feedback on how it worked for you.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 5:42am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Power Nullification
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Since a) seems like it could be a weakness and not a power, maybe consider tweaking that one a bit to say the range can be diminshed by power usage, so like 2 PR per turn to cut range in half or something.  At least it's controllable, and it could get interesting once the player runs low on power and might decide to let the range max out to conserve power.  This could have a negative impact on his/her's teammates.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 10:52am:
Since a) seems like it could be a weakness and not a power

That's exactly what I intneded it to be, sort of like Marvel's Leech.

Paul wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 10:52am:
maybe consider tweaking that one a bit to say the range can be diminshed by power usage, so like 2 PR per turn to cut range in half or something.  At least it's controllable, and it could get interesting once the player runs low on power and might decide to let the range max out to conserve power.  This could have a negative impact on his/her's teammates.

I'd also considered allowing a character to expended power to either turn the power off, or reduce its range, and 2 power sounds resonable. I could also see the character training to reduce the area affected.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
The TV show "Heroes" had a character (the Haitian) with this as a really cool superpower (his only one); he was a valued commodity for the government, used as a weapon to shut down others' powers.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 11th, 2014 at 2:57pm:
The TV show "Heroes" had a character (the Haitian) with this as a really cool superpower (his only one); he was a valued commodity for the government, used as a weapon to shut down others' powers.

IIRC, he didn't actually shut down their powers, he just mad them forget they had them. He had the ability to alter people's memories, erasing them or implanting false ones. I've got some draft rules for using telepathy to alter memories posted in one of these threads. I'll dig around and post a link to them.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2016 at 11:36am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 3:36am
Print Post  
I'm pretty big fan if Heroes and I'm fairly certain I remember characters knowing they had a power and were just unable to use it in his presence. I do think you're onto something their. It could be he made them forget how to use or tap into said power. Either way this is a cool idea for a power that is worth investigating further Smiley

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Yep, either way it ended up with the same result, nullifying powers around him (and if that is true it might be more appropriate to call it Psionics).

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 4:41pm:
Yep, either way it ended up with the same result, nullifying powers around him (and if that is true it might be more appropriate to call it Psionics).

It could be a Psionic ability as well. Another option could be Psychic Damper: No mental powers/psionic abilities work in the character's presence, as I've seen that in comics and movies as well. 
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2016 at 12:19pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2024 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as I'm doing a bit of tinkering with it.

YIM  
IP Logged

>