Normal Topic Sorcery: Ley Lines (Read 2038 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Sorcery: Ley Lines
Feb 20th, 2014 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
  Ley Lines are places where planes of existence overlap.  Some are destructive, and one plane is forcing itself in the space of another, destroying on.  Sometimes one is going on in "way" rubbing against another going the opposite way.  Sometimes they crash and merge forming a new plane from the two smaller ones.

At any way, they are constantly moving, some faster, some slower.

The lines are subatomic "cracks" in reality formed by this interaction.  From these cracks,  cosmic energy seeps in. 

Some sorcerers tap into this energy for magical means.

Ley Line energy is called mana and is used to fire off spells without casting times, or reagents.   So they are similar to powers.

Here are the rules.

Ley Line Mana is quite powerful, and Ley Sorcerers have to be quite hardy.   So any mana they take OVER their endurance in one action burns them for a point of damage per point of mana.  This can not be rolled with.   

First the sorcerer must spend an inventing point to learn about Ley Lines. 

Then, they will develop a fell for mana.  They must concentrate and roll detect hidden to see if they are near a ley line.

If they make the roll, then roll a d20.

a roll of 1-10 is how many points of mana are currently available for spell casting.  Anything over 10 means there is nothing there to use.

This is a pool, not a river, so if there are 9 points available, that is it,  it will take some times for the area to refuel. 

So this is not going to help in a long protracted spell battle, but it might give a nice edge for a fast paced, quick draw spell.

Or it can be used to power and recharge area of effect magic or even magical items.

If the roll to detect was a critical success ( 01-5) then a place of power was found.   Then roll 1d100 to see how much mana is there.

Also, once the mana pool is established,  the GM will make a side roll  based on Mana found d100 to see if there is anything odd, to be found, guarding, watching, using,  hanging out,  or just something to screw with the player.

Any questions?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: Sorcery: Ley Lines
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
I will have several since this stemmed from a Dick Idea and probaly something you had floating in the backround anyway.

If for some reason a place of power was found does it have to be drawn from or just found? Character rolls a 4 on their detect hidden and then rolls a 90 on the D100 roll. Does that just tell them they have found 90 points or does it fry them for 90 points minus their endurance?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
In the case you mentioned, they found a very powerful place with 90 points of mana.    You can draw what you need, as per the spell.   If you are casting a spell that requires more mana than you have Endurance, prepare to be burnt.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Remind me to have the Mighty Dick train in Endurance. May get all the way up to 13 or so....

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Did Dick ever get this?

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
No because he has such a low Endurance. He is going to try and use a bit of a work around though to use the Ley Lines to power the Castle

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 7:43am
Print Post  
We should talk about this next game session

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2023 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Bumping since I believe there is a place of power in Kansas and Oregon that can be tapped

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2023 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Bumping since I believe there is a place of power in Kansas and Oregon that can be tapped

IP Logged

>