Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The greatest thing about V&V (Read 5895 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

The greatest thing about V&V
Mar 29th, 2014 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
V&V is an amazing game system. It lets you do anything, and place yourself in any genre of comic book from anywhere in the world. It is not perfect, and it is not as popular as most of us believe it should be, but it plays better than any other Comic RPG I have ever messed about with. I have played Cyborgs, Aliens, Time Travelers, and Mutants. I have battled street-level crooks, Magneto, terrorists, alien invaders, demons, zombies, large bugs, and even CHESS. I have learned that for most of us, we have to pretend to be someone else in order to truly be ourselves. I have even had the opportunity to live out a fantasy of my youth; to write for my favorite RPG and have my work published by FGU. I have had some wonderful, and very informative arguments with fellow creators, which is an absolutely essential part of any creative process (and for me, it's like tossing a pig in mud). All told, this game has been putting smiles on my face for three decades.

So what then what do I believe is the best part of this game? A table, surrounded by friends.  No internet. No computers at all (save for a pocket calculator). Just friends at a table. I can think of nothing better than that.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Re: The greatest thing about V&V
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2014 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I like a lot of the early art from the 1980s.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 8:23am
Print Post  
For me, when I think back on all of the superhero RPGs I have played, V&V was the most enjoyable.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
The greatest thing about V&V is it doesn't take itself too seriously. It has a graceful flexibility and makes room for everyone's styles and tastes. I don't think it was intended to be as good today as written, but in that accidental simplicity, it managed to land in a marginal area between a 5 star restaurant and the neighborhood buffet. While you have to pay attention to the structure of the menu, you can still serve it up and have as much as you want.

It's not a power-gamer's system. It takes a lot of getting used to at first to merely find balance and control as a GM, but in the sweet spot, it leaves a powerful amount of room for role play that is a wonderful compromise of the GM's structural world and the player's tinkering dream.

My favorite super hero RPG ever.  Smiley

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
For me, it's the open endedness of the system. You've got enough of a basic framework that you can pretty much do what you want. And V&V just had that "comic book" feel to it, something a lot of other super hero RPGs didn't/don't have.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2014 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Well said, all.  To me it just captures the essence of superheroes and comic book action and adventure.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Agreed, Majestic!

IP Logged

Son of Sarge Ant
Sidekick

The word you're looking
for is "interfightable"

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
It's all about throwing together some ideas and having FUN. Remember when gaming was supposed to be fun? I'm not interested in maxing out characters or trying to be the most awesome character in the universe. I just want to play and have fun. GAME ON!

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

who knows what evil lurks
in heart of man

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:13am
Print Post  
I so Agree

YIM  
IP Logged

Isungr
Apprentice

Defender of Paragon

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2014 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Yep. Fun trumps rules and glossy presentation for me.

"It's not about where you were born. Or what powers you have. Or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do....It's about saving others."
Isungr to other Paragon heroes during the Cataclysm
WWWGTalkFacebookYIM  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2014 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I am personally more familiar with Champions... I have played that far more often.  BUT.. that said... I find that V&V is much easier to run quickly as far as combat goes than Champions.  In Champions you need to keep track of Body, Endurance, Stun, resistant defenses, normal defenses Physical Defense, Energy Defense and damage reduction {if they have such} for all the npc's which makes running it a bear!  Yes, you could have a handy sheet for tracking that but it also has an added level of complication... that gets annoying to deal with in the factors that modify how those three resources are tracked {is it a resistant defense, is is only PD or ED.. does the target have Damage Reduction... what the recovery rate... etc.}.

The thing I like the most about V&V is there is hit points and Power to keep track of.. thats it!  No active limits no 1 end per 5 or is it 10 Active used.. no 25% damage reduction vs normal stun...}...just two numbers.  And if you want you can add more complication as needed... its easy to note ok this damage was absorbed by the armor ADR so it s against the armor the hit point damage is applied.  Fast, elegant, and simple.  Yeah you can get to be very fast as a player who is familiar with Champions to play.. but it does not cut down on the complication as the GM to run it keeping track of all those variables.  At least it seems so to me.

And as for those who say V&V can't be power gamed..well it not as easy as it is in Champions to do so {a boon in my opinion}... but you can still make phenomenally powerful characters in V&V with just a little tweaking here and there.

MUCH as I am a die-hard long time Champions Guru'-Fan.. I must say.. I'd rather run  V&V for its ease, flexibility and low-learning curve for new players.  It Really is a GREAT game system! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2014 at 8:39pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2014 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I have to say I'm with Dom and Doug in it captures the feeling you get when reading a fun comic book.

And while the mechanics will seem to change some with V&V3. I felt what Jeff shared with us still has that same comic book superhero feeling at it's core and look forward to the day it will be released.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Coming to this discussion considerably late - and not really adding anything that hasn't been stated already to the mix - but yeah, the firstest and bestest superhero RPG that's yet crossed my path.  AlabasterKnight and Thunderbolt's comments strike closest to the nerve center for me; the lack of power gaming issues, and the straightforward dynamic of having to keep track of hit points and power - and that's it - drills in the maxim of simple equals better.

While I can't claim any real familiarity with Champions, aside from general name recognition, Thunderbolt's relating of the nightmarish chain of stats to be adjudicated each round assures me that this game would have been a one-hit wonder with my past and current group; years later, we'd be sitting around, shaking our heads when someone mentions, "Remember that Champions game we tried out...?"  And, of course, we had our three-game run-through with M&M 2e, which met its mostly unlamented end largely because of the hugely counterproductive damage/Toughness charts, and the drama-killing results with die rolls that indicated that The Evil Boss had been taken out on the first shot.

I'll be sticking with my slightly rough-eared copy of V&V 2.0, thank you very much, and looking forward to the release of 3.0 and what new twists and turns we can pull off.  Here's hoping that all of us will be able to witness and enjoy the continuation - in whatever form - of the most damn playable superhero game we can envision.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 2:53am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Read this over a bit earlier today; very pleased, as some others have mentioned, that development on 3.0 continues.

My personal contention, at this point, is that we need to start seeing some demo characters drawn up, put through the character-creation wringer and then dropped into duke-it-out-in-the-arena scraps with some established villains.  This is in addition to a couple of prospective non-conflictual scenarios examined so that we can see how the new system operates in both fighting and non-fighting contexts.

As per some discussion that was going on previously on that site, and which I made a couple of contributions to, I'm also very curious to see how the new armor/invulnerability rules play out.  These core tropes of superhero fiction were about the most difficult to translate into a superhero game dynamic, and I'd really like to see what the current state of consideration has them operating as.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
That's a really good point, Tempest.  I agree that those two, especially Invulnerability, can be one of the toughest powers to model.

My son and I have both been a bit displeased lately with the way Invulnerable works in Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.  Our beef is that even minor supervillains (or heroes), like the Wrecking Crew, have the same ability as Juggernaut or Superman, to completely ignore 100% of all physical attacks.  One beauty of that system is that there's three other ways to take a bad guy down (Complications, Emotional Stress, or Mental Stress), but it still doesn't quite feel right that even minor Invulnerability is as strong as the best Invulnerability.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the response, Majestic.  Re Marvel Heroic Roleplaying; I'm unfamiliar, but is this the follow-up to the '80s Marvel Superheroes game?

On the powers thread for the MHG site, I suggested using the old MSH as a launching point for how Invulnerability, as a power, could perhaps work.  A character could have 10 points Invulnerability; any attack of 11 points damage would carry 1 point through, per hit.  I felt the Marvel system was the best merge point between the whole ablation/threshold argument that V&V 2.0 and M&M 2e stand as templates of.

Hopefully we'll get to see some action on MHG soon, with regard to further insights.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Jun 11th, 2014 at 3:42pm:
Thank you for the response, Majestic.  Re Marvel Heroic Roleplaying; I'm unfamiliar, but is this the follow-up to the '80s Marvel Superheroes game?

No, MHR is the very recent game (just from the last couple of years) that uses the Cortex Plus system (from Margaret Weiss Productions).  Sadly, Marvel didn't have any patience with the company and yanked it after a very short run (less than 2 years, I believe).

On the powers thread for the MHG site, I suggested using the old MSH as a launching point for how Invulnerability, as a power, could perhaps work.  A character could have 10 points Invulnerability; any attack of 11 points damage would carry 1 point through, per hit.  I felt the Marvel system was the best merge point between the whole ablation/threshold argument that V&V 2.0 and M&M 2e stand as templates of.

That actually sounds like a better version of the power.

Hopefully we'll get to see some action on MHG soon, with regard to further insights.

I very much agree!

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #18 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jun 10th, 2014 at 2:53am:

Thanks for linking this.  I haven't been checking out the forum since their hadn't been updates in... well forever.

Great to see discussions happening!

IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
math!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
In our V&V game last weekend (at our annual Con), the GM hit us with what he called a "MATH ATTACK".  Basically, he handed us index cards that boosted each character's physical Basic Characteristics (STR, END, and AGL), which of course caused everyone to get out calculators and figure all of the downstream stats as well.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #21 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 11:15pm:
No computers at all (save for a pocket calculator). Just friends at a table.

It's funny, but back in the early '80s I wrote a program for the Vic-20 where you entered the Agility of all the characters then it added a d10 and started listing the characters in order from highest to lowest with a return. All stored on a cassette tape drive!

IP Logged

>