Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Knock Outs (Read 4484 times)
80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Knock Outs
Jan 29th, 2015 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Hello.  Time for me to pick your brains.

One thing that has always bothered me about the standard knockout rules is that it does not factor in the relative health (i.e.: hit points) or toughness (i.e.: Endurance score) of the affected combatant.  An attack that inflicts 5 points of damage has a 5% chance to knock out a target (or 20% chance if the attack was a Special Attack to the head), regardless of whether that target has 10 h.p. (where the attack depletes 50% of his full h.p. score in one blow) or 1000 h.p. (where the attack depletes only 0.5% of his full h.p. score), and regardless of whether the target is a "puny Pete," highly susceptible to trauma (has a 3 END score) or a human tank (100 END score).

I have tinkered with a few house rule solutions over the years, but never came up with anything particularly satisfying.  I just had an idea (literally two minutes ago, so excuse me if it is a little rough) and want to see what you think:

If the damage inflicted exceeds 25% of the target's full (not current) h.p. score with a single blow, the target must make a saving throw vs. Endurance to avoid being knocked out.

If the damage is twice the normal K.O. threshold (i.e.: 50% of the targets full h.p. score), the saving throw suffers a penalty (I am thinking -4, assuming it is rolled on d20).  If the damage is 75% of the target's full h.p. score, the penalty is increased (to -8?).

So, taking the above example, if Captain Normal has 10 h.p. and The Incredible Bulk has 1000 h.p. and both suffer 5 h.p. damage from an attack, Captain Normal would have to roll a saving throw with a -4 penalty in order to stay on his feet, while the Incredible Bulk would pretty much shrug it off.

I am not 100% sure what the effects of a Special Attack to the head would be.  I am thinking that it would either multiply the attacker's damage x4 for purposes of determining if the 25% threshold is met (so, Punching Guy connects with a haymaker to the jaw of 100-Hit-Point-Man, doing 10 points damage; normally this would not be enough to force his opponent to roll v.s. K.O., but, because it was a Special Attack to the head, the effective damage for calculating K.O. chances is 40, which is enough to force a roll).   

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Re: Knock Outs
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
I agree with you that the current system is unsatisfying for the reasons you state.

Regarding the save vs. endurance in your proposal, is it vs d20 or d100?

Your system really increases the toughness of the heavy hitters, but I suppose that makes sense.  Nobody one shots the Hulk.  Ya gotta beat the snot out of him.

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 1:31pm:
Regarding the save vs. endurance in your proposal, is it vs d20 or d100?

If I were using the saving throw rules "by the book" I would say probably d100.  That means that "normal" characters of average Endurance (10) would be at a heck of a disadvantage, but then, they just took a minimum of one-quarter of their h.p. score from a single blow.  They should be swooning.

A d20 save using the standard saving throw rules from the book wouldn't be a great solution, as it would mean that characters of only slightly superhuman End (20) would almost never be knocked out.

So, I guess if you were going to adapt the above to the saving throw mechanics from the rules, there'd have to be some adjustments made.

I think it would work a little better as written above with my house rules for saving throws.

In a nutshell, I don't roll directly against an attribute score for saving throws.  I borrow the basic mechanic for attack rolls in combat.  That is, the character must roll a d20 against a base target number (set by the GM, based upon the difficulty level of the task), with modifiers for relevant attribute scores, skills, and other factors. Rolls of 1 and 20 remain an automatic success and automatic failure, respectively,  (There's more to it, but that's enough of an explanation to demonstrate how this K.O. rule would work with my house-ruled saving throws.)

So, a character with an Average (10) Endurance score and no relevant skills or powers to resist the effect of being knocked out would have to roll an 8 or less to resist a blow that inflicts damage greater than 1/4 but less than 1/2 his h.p. score, 4 or less for one that inflicts damage greater 1/2 but less than 3/4 his h.p. score, and would need to roll a 1 (an automatic success) for one that inflicts damage greater than 3/4 but less than 100% of his h.p. score.  (And, of course, if the damage is equal to or greater than 100% of his h.p. score, no roll is made -- he is instantly incapacitated).

A character with a fairly high superhuman Endurance score (30) would need to roll under 13, 9, and 5 in the above situations.

Phrennzy wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 1:31pm:
Your system really increases the toughness of the heavy hitters, but I suppose that makes sense.  Nobody one shots the Hulk.  Ya gotta beat the snot out of him.

That's what I was aiming for.  If you're gonna take out the Hulk, you either gotta be a major heavy hitter yourself or find some other way to defeat him (I recommend Mind Control).  There really shouldn't be any chance the Joe Average is gonna somehow K.O. with a lucky punch to the jaw.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:23pm by 80sGamerGeek »  

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
80's,

If you're looking for a harder save than a d20 but not so hard as a d100, use a d40, d60 or d80 roll, depending on how tough the save should be. Imaginos has a neat idea with this that I am planning to adopt for my games. Instead of the standard 2 d10 roll with then tens digit and the ones digit called in advance, use a d4, d6 or d8 to mark the tens set and a d10 to control the ones digit.  The top number on the controlling die is the "0" digit. For example;

A roll against a d60 is a d6 and a d10.  If the d6 comes out as a 3 and the d10 comes out as a 7, the roll is 37. A 6 and a 7 is 07.

You can also roll against a d120 using a d12 or a d200 by using a d20 for the tens set.  It all depends on how hard you want the challenge to be.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2015 at 7:41pm by »  

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Klystron, thanks but that's not what I am looking for. 

I used to use pretty much the same saving throw dice scale you list above, an idea I cribbed from Brian Rogers' house rules for his Variants universe (http://asymmetry.houseofhum.com/rpg/rules/dice.html), but in the end I didn't particularly like it.

Ultimately, I prefer a simpler system - all saves rolled on d20, only 3 levels of difficulty to roll against.  One of the reasons I prefer to keep the rolls to d20 is that I don't roll directly against the attribute scores, I roll against a target number.  The attribute scores only apply a modifier.  Keeping it d20, I only need to record/reference one modifier (e.g.: if you have an attribute score of 20, you get a +3 bonus).  If I do d40, d60, d80, d100, I have to figure out how the bonus translates at each step (+6 for d40, +9 for d60, +12 for d80, etc.).  Not that it's at all hard to translate the bonus for each die type, it's just an added complication that, for me, doesn't add anything particularly worthwhile.

I'm pretty happy with my saving throw system.  I only sketched it out in this thread to demonstrate why the modifiers I specified for the K.O. rules might not work with the standard saving throw rules from the book but would work pretty well with my system.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I pretty much ignore the knock out rolls for characters until their hits go down to 100 or less.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 4:53am
Print Post  
I think you're right, the KO rules are not satisfying and I like your proposition.
The only thing that bothers me (just a bit) is that Endurance is already a major characteristics and this system would increase the propensity for players to level up in it.
But your system is cool and it's logical that Endurance is part of it.

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 11:53am
Print Post  
The problem with radically altering the way KO works in V&V is that it makes high HP heroes and villains that much harder to take down. The KO chance makes it so ANY attack that does damage can be a threat. I look at KO as the attack just happening to hit a sensitive area/nerve cluster/whichever. Look at the mechanic in real life; you can have the toughest guy on the planet but if you happen to catch him on the chin *just* right he can still get taken out in one punch (ie. on a lucky hit even *I* could take out Mike Tyson in his prime).

If you really want to tweak the rule without ditching it completely you could always have big bricks of HP have a 50% less chance of being knocked out from most normal damage. There is still the chance of that lucky shot so they have to weigh whether they want to be surrounded by a bunch of things blasting or punching away at them while still having greater durability as far as the KO goes. I do understand the concern about the way the mechanic works, especially when talking about heroes/villains approaching/exceeding the 1000 hp mark but there has to be SOME kind of mechanic otherwise it just become a grind and makes the target all but impervious to attacks.

Also, looking at the Hulk example above, no "average" joe would ever be able to drop the Hulk with one lucky punch. Between what is likely *some* level of invulnerability/armor/whatever AND rolling into power, joe average doing at best 7 or 8 damage would never even affect him.

Maybe it is just me and not liking already high HP characters becoming MORE of a grind but that is my take on it; invulnerability/rolling into power will make it so those KO chances go down a lot already.

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
In this version, If you want to keep a chance for the very big guys to fall, you can still apply a 01% chance for all the (N)PC to be KO, even if the hit is below the 25% of Total HP.

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
xhaosdaemon wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 11:53am:
The problem with radically altering the way KO works in V&V is that it makes high HP heroes and villains that much harder to take down.

That's half of what I am aiming for.

The KO chance makes it so ANY attack that does damage can be a threat. I look at KO as the attack just happening to hit a sensitive area/nerve cluster/whichever.

I can certainly see that argument, but, ultimately, this is a superhero game.  I just can't recall reading any comic book story where a hero or villain who was really, really tough got knocked out by a lucky blow from a significantly less powerful opponent.

Look at the mechanic in real life; you can have the toughest guy on the planet but if you happen to catch him on the chin *just* right he can still get taken out in one punch (ie. on a lucky hit even *I* could take out Mike Tyson in his prime).

But how many hit points does the toughest guy on the planet have in real life?  10?  20?  Isn't it just as likely that your lucky hit was a high roll for damage, one that was high enough to break the 25% threshold in my house rules?

If you really want to tweak the rule without ditching it completely you could always have big bricks of HP have a 50% less chance of being knocked out from most normal damage.

What qualifies as a "big brick of HP"?  Which character would get the 50% reduction in the chance to be knocked out?  Would a character with 100 h.p. get the reduction, but a character with 99 would not?  That's the problem with applying that kind of flat reduction, determining the line of demarcation.   

Also, a 50% reduction would mean that you would have to inflict 51 points of damage to get a 1% chance of a K.O.  51 points would usually be enough to get force a K.O. saving throw for most bricks (I used 1000 h.p. above as an extreme example, but most bricks, in my campaign world at least, would not have nearly that many h.p.; 1000 h.p. is flipping Galactus), which would mean they would probably have a higher chance of being K.O.'d under my proposed house rule than if I did the 50% reduction thing.

One of the previous house rules I considered was to reduce the percentage chance of being knocked out by the character's Endurance score.  That would make most bricks harder to knock out, but not impossible.  The problem is that it would also make most normals impossible to knock out  (i.e.: a character with 10 END would have to take 11 points of damage to have a 1% chance to be knocked out, when 11 points of damage would most likely incapacitate them instantly).   So I didn't go in that direction.

I do understand the concern about the way the mechanic works, especially when talking about heroes/villains approaching/exceeding the 1000 hp mark but there has to be SOME kind of mechanic otherwise it just become a grind and makes the target all but impervious to attacks.

All but impervious to attacks that inflict h.p. damage.  There are still any number of ways to take out such a character that don't inflict h.p. damage and therefore don't rely upon a lucky punch (e.g.: mind control, paralysis ray, telekinetically levitating the character where he can't do any harm, reversing his gravity with Gravity Control, banishing him somewhere with Dimensional Traveling, etc.). 

Players should be forced to think outside the box when fighting an "impervious" character (if you're playing a street level hero facing a Hulk-like mega slugger and your best plan for taking him down is to stand toe-to-toe hoping for a lucky punch, you deserve whatever happens to you).

Also, remember that making bricks less likely to go down was only half the reason I came up with this rule.  The other was because normal humans with low HP score seem weirdly resistant to K.O. under the standard rules.  A normal human male with 4 h.p. who takes 3 points of damage would only have a 3% chance of being knocked out, despite the fact that he just lost 75% of his total h.p. in one blow, while a 100 h.p. brick who lost 75% of his h.p. in one blow would have a 75% chance of being K.O.'d. Any blow that would cause enough damage to have a decent chance of inflicting a K.O. would instantly incapacitate the character, so the K.O. roll would never happen. That just seems wrong to me.   

Maybe it is just me and not liking already high HP characters becoming MORE of a grind but that is my take on it; invulnerability/rolling into power will make it so those KO chances go down a lot already.

I understand the concern and appreciate the feedback (that's why I asked for it!). 

Maybe one solution would be to have the threshold for when a K.O. saving throw is required be based upon the character's current h.p. score, rather than full h.p. score, so that as a brick gets worn down he becomes more vulnerable to a lucky shot (e.g.: The Wrecker, already wobbly on his feet after being pummeled by Thor, finally goes down when Jane Foster konks him on the head with a wrench).  The problem with that is that you would have to recalculate the threshold over and over in combat (where using the full h.p. score I would only have to calculate it at character creation and could record it on the character sheet).

Thanks again, all food for thought.

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
merteuil wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 4:53am:
The only thing that bothers me (just a bit) is that Endurance is already a major characteristics and this system would increase the propensity for players to level up in it.

I'm okay with that.  I've never looked at the character sheet for player's prospective PC and groaned because the Endurance score was really high (Agility is a whole 'nother story).

IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I am not going to quote because I don't have a response for every point and also to avoid further large posts (not complaining about yours).

For one a 50% reduction in KO is based on the KO rules as written, so if someone took 50 points of damage they would only have a 25% chance to be knocked out.

As far as 1000 hp being Galactus I have seen combinations of powers in V&V that easily get to that mark. One PC in a game I was in had Size Change: Larger and had about 900 hit points and still had an accuracy bonus to hit. I even house-ruled Size Change rules in my PbP game because someone with the combo of Heightened Strength, Heightened Agility, and Size Change: Larger would have had almost 1400 hp, a carrying capacity of over 200,000 lbs, and 6d10 HTH damage with a decent accuracy bonus still.

When I said invulnerable I meant to physical damage, I should have been clearer. I know there are many other attacks that bypass hit points. Believe me too, I am all about tactics and trying to get my players to meet me there. I use them a LOT for the villains but the players haven't really embraced good tactics overall.

I do agree that the KO rules make weaker characters oddly resistant to being knocked out but as I have already tinkered with the rules in my game changing the KO rules to make it easier for the weaker players to get knocked out would be VERY unpopular.

All that being said I do agree that the rules as written are a bit wonky (as are a number of V&V rules TBH) and certainly are worth looking at. The threshold for triggering Endurance saves is an interesting idea. Having the threshold based on current hit points makes sense to me as well and the idea for the 4x damage for threshold purposes only for a head shot is likewise interesting. (I use a modified version of Jeff Dee's saving throw system so everything is based on d20 rolls with bonuses or penalties.)
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2015 at 7:03pm by xhaosdaemon »  

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
xhaosdaemon wrote on Jan 31st, 2015 at 7:02pm:
For one a 50% reduction in KO is based on the KO rules as written, so if someone took 50 points of damage they would only have a 25% chance to be knocked out.

Ah, I misinterpreted what you meant by a 50% reduction.  I thought you meant that you subtract 50% from the percentage chance to be knocked out (so, if an attack inflicts 80 points of damage, the % chance of knock out would be reduced from 80% to 30%), when what you meant was that you halve the percentage (so an 80 point attack would have a 40% chance of K.O.).  Got it now.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Overall I don't have a problem with the RAW in this area.  Tough bricks (like the Hulk) should be given Invulnerability, which makes them then very tough to knock out (likely impossible for civilians or weaker heroes).

Another factor that I haven't seen mentioned is rolling with the punch (which the bigger characters can generally do more of, further reducing their chance of being TKOd).

But I get the criticism.  Honestly, I really like the game Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, but one of the issues I have with it is this very thing (but the reverse; it works more like your proposal than V&V).  A brick (even a lower powered one like the Wrecker) can shrug off every physical attack, regardless of amount.  In other words, the only way to defeat them is to come up with alternate tactics.  There's so many Invulnerable characters that it makes this mechanic sort of strange to me.

Personally, I tend to give a power to super huge monsters and other massive characters that I don't want to see knocked out too quickly.  I make it so that they don't have to roll for unconsciousness as per the standard rules.  Usually I reserve that for RBTs (like Godzilla), but I've also occasionally done it for other adversaries as well.

I think the easiest, most elegant solution would be to do what they proposed for V&V 3.0.  IIRC, a character doesn't roll for unconsciousness until their HP score is 1/2 or lower.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I think just waiting for a brick to tire out or go to half hit points before counting knock out rolls is fair, but possibly also consider some other negative ramification if the brick is at normal levels.  So like maybe based on the knockout roll give the brick -5 to hit on their next attack or something (as opposed to being knocked out).

To just ignore the KO rule all together, until the bad guy is below a certain threshold level, is not fair to the attacker either.  I always wondered why doing 300 pts of damage and rolling an 02 KO did nothing, but now I know John!! Your secret it out!!  lol all joking aside I totally get it, but the 02 KO should count for something. I think a minus on their next attack is a fair idea.  They didn't get knocked out but need a split second to shake it off etc.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
The problem with having KO rules based solely on hit point damage is that the quality of the hit is only expressed through the quantity of damage and not accuracy, giving too much favor to large hit point volume.

A 'critical hit' system is what's missing, frankly speaking, something I would be inclined to house rule. If one was in place, then the knockout percentage could be enhanced by multiplied damage results and proportionate chances to subdue via 'knockout'.

Perhaps the save should be in the hands of the defender and consider remaining hit points in the roll somehow.

Failed knockout rolls against high hit point targets could still in this type of system have resulted in enough hit damage to discourage an enemy from continuing and choosing a tactical withdrawal to fight another day. The attack rang the bell sufficiently to get the character to think twice...

PS: This is one of those balance issues.
$.02
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:17pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Feb 4th, 2015 at 6:37pm:
I think just waiting for a brick to tire out or go to half hit points before counting knock out rolls is fair, but possibly also consider some other negative ramification if the brick is at normal levels.  So like maybe based on the knockout roll give the brick -5 to hit on their next attack or something (as opposed to being knocked out).

To just ignore the KO rule all together, until the bad guy is below a certain threshold level, is not fair to the attacker either.  I always wondered why doing 300 pts of damage and rolling an 02 KO did nothing, but now I know John!! Your secret it out!!  lol all joking aside I totally get it, but the 02 KO should count for something. I think a minus on their next attack is a fair idea.  They didn't get knocked out but need a split second to shake it off etc.

Now you know why Magnum and Dreadnaught were never knocked out by the KO roll, either!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Don't try your clever spin on me!!  Magnum was never knocked out because he was simply awesome. Period.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #18 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Why not call it a stun instead. Character who is stunned loses the next attack and all defenses are dropped. Not as severe as the knockout as no save would be needed to wake up but even the brick is still vulnerable to the next series of attacks.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Yes very similar to what I was trying to say but you said it better!

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I take my inspiration from you of course...... Wink

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
A blow to the noggin will just as easily knock out the world's strongest man as a 98-lb. weakling. Being strong or healthy doesn't make you harder to knock out.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I think I came up with a simple solution.  Since just roll as many dice a the character has digits.

This means if the guy has 89 hit points, you roll two ten sided die, as normal, and  use this as regular percentage. 

But if the guy has 456 hits, then roll three die ten and make the odds out of a thousand.

When hits drop to 99 and lower the die drop to only two.

So this means that a with 89 hits who takes 30 damage has the same odds of being knocked out as a guy with 890 hits who takes 300.

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:09pm by John »  

IP Logged

>