Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Weaknesses (Read 11139 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Weaknesses
Reply #35 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Good feedback.  And yes, I know that some of those seem a bit similar.  I already combined a number of them that I thought were pretty similar.

Keep in mind that - at least for my game - we take each of these at three different power levels: A, B, or C.  Which then correspond to a particular superpower.  So somebody might want to take their Gravity Control at level C (uber powerful), but then that corresponding weakness will also be at level C.  So that Addiction (at level C) would be something that somebody has to have (probably more often than daily, like a smoker needs their nicotine, multiple times daily).

So while I completely agree that Special Requirement covers addiction (I've argued that for years), I also realize that - in nearly 35 years of playing this game - I haven't seen a single smoker, or person addicted to alcohol or painkillers or even somebody whose life is consumed by World of Warcraft.  One could say "Special Requirement" for those, but it doesn't really fit as well.

Giving some nuance to the list allows for more variety, and - like AK said - one can make Special Requirement more something like Mjolnir, which can be vastly different than the character who is addicted to regular exercise, coffee, or whatever else.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #36 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I'm also considering allowing my players to pick one of their two Weaknesses, rather than rolling it randomly (especially if they get something they don't like).

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #37 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Aug 5th, 2015 at 6:25pm:
I'm also considering allowing my players to pick one of their two Weaknesses, rather than rolling it randomly (especially if they get something they don't like).

How about the player picks one and the GM picks one?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #38 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
If a player opts for an extra power and an extra weakness, I usually pick their weakness.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Laserguy
Sidekick

V & V is so exciting!

Reply #39 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
I don't know if I like the one Bigotry. This could lead to a very demeaning role playing experience. We have enough bigotry in the world as it is. How would you describe this weakness?

" Fast like light amplified by stimulated emission of radiation. That's Fast!"

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #40 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Hey, Laserguy!  Welcome to the board!

Don't forget to check out the Yahoo! group for the magazine articles related to V&V:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/vnvrpg/files

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #41 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Laserguy wrote on Aug 15th, 2015 at 2:22pm:
I don't know if I like the one Bigotry. This could lead to a very demeaning role playing experience. We have enough bigotry in the world as it is. How would you describe this weakness?

Welcome, Laserguy (and I love your avatar!) Smiley

You're right that - without a GM keeping a tight reign on things - that's one that could get out of hand.  As could a number of others, if a player went crazy with them (Compulsion, Addiction, Bloodthirsty, etc.).

I would imagine that the one that best fits comic book type heroes would be the person who is prejudiced against mutants.  Or aliens, or those that are "non-human" (it could even be against robots, androids, or mechanical beings).  A person who was so bigoted against a particular group of people that it was obnoxious (like Donald Trump level) would probably not last in a hero group for very long, as I doubt the other heroes would be able to tolerate it for long.

But comics and superhero stories have long dealt with the issue, and it seems to me an appropriate one for the genre.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #42 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Under the existing 2.0/2.1 rules, I could see Phobia/Psychosis as the Weakness that would best describe an irrational hatred toward a particular group -- especially if the hatred is directed toward a group that the majority of the population doesn't inherently distrust.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2015 at 4:03pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>