Normal Topic Captain Atom (Read 2513 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Captain Atom
Feb 22nd, 2015 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
He was a member of the Greatest Generation.   30 years ago today Captain Atom gave his life to stop Mr. Saturn from destroying the world. 

Just let that sink in.  A single man gave his life to save everyone on the planet.

You would think there would be a parade. 

Captain Atom was the youngest member working on the Manhattan Project.  By his own accounts all he did was get Dr. Oppenheim coffee.  But that day the Yellow Fang unleashed the Plague That Walked, it was young William “Billy the Kid” Plymouth who ran off with the fission core, keeping it out of the hands of the Eternal Tong.

It was speculated that his first heroic act was the very thing that caused his cancer.

When it became time to test the Atomic Belt, everyone looked at Billy.   He refused, saying he wasn’t brave enough.    So add humble to his long list of good traits.

He took the name Captain Atom, and was one of the first ‘Mystery Men’ to enter the war.  He quickly learned that he was not the strongest that goes to Iron Mike.  Nor was he the smartest, if the legends of the mysterious Night Scholar are to be believed.   But by far, Captain Atom was the most charismatic.
Some accuse him of selling out.  But I, and many others, think that the Captain was sure that having his own news reel crew filming his exploits would raise our morale, while sending a message to the Axis. 

He also was not the first to parlay his fame into merchandising, but, once again, was the best.  Hell I still have my Captain Atom talking helmet, and cape!

While in Europe he, as leader of the Victory Agents, defeated the Black Bomber, Berlin Betty, Dr. Schadenfraude, and the Panzer Division.   True to his dashing nature, he was said to woo Berlin Betty into turning coats, and joining the post war Super Society.  He is also said to be the mystery father of the Betty’s son and short lived 60’s super hero, the Revolutionary.

By the time the good Captain was deployed in the Pacific, he was deemed indestructible.   So much so, it sent shock waves when the Narwhale impaled him.   The nation mourned when he was taken back to the States to recover.

When the Plankton, the living colony, threatened to destroy San Francisco, it was young Jake Juno of the Captain’s news reel team who stole the Atomic Belt and fought of the threat. 

Kid Jupiter, as Juno called himself proved himself brave and resourceful.  When he absorbed the nuclear power unleashed by Broken Arrow, he gained superpowers independent of the belt.

He gave the belt to Captain Atom’s son and the second, tragic, Captain Atom arose.   Billy Jr, was a nice affable kid, son to Bill Sr and his wife, Laura (who was also the nurse who tended him during that one year he laid on death door.  Even then, his cancer was affecting his health).

Billy Jr's brief fling with the African super heroine, Gazelle, filled the gossip rags for months!   When he returned to the states he found himself targeted by various Hate Groups.  Still he made a name for himself fighting such foes as, Clomp the thing that clomped, El Hornito, Oil slick, and the Glow Worm.

When he was killed in a common car crash, the world didn’t know how to react.   Of course the rags said he was drinking, but I have read the reports.   Some people love to tarnish other’s reputations!

William Plymouth  returned to the scene when Kid Jupiter was taken by the Gray.    The Gray, as the world remembers, came from another world to study us.  They said they wanted to dissect the greatest of us to learn more about us.  They took Kid Jupiter.   Captain Atom donned his belt, fixed up one of their fallen saucers, with the help of the Night Scholar, who returned from his Occult Library this one last time to help an old friend, and they went to another planet.

Another planet!   Again, let that sink in!   This man went to another planet to save his friend!

They returned, and with them they brought back Atomica, the alien atom woman.   This beautiful alien captivated the world.    Captain Atom, Atomica and Kid Jupiter were dubbed the “Nuclear Family” and for the rest of the 60s, and the early 70s they stopped so many super villains, I couldn’t even list them. 

Of course this led to a high profile divorce from Plymouth’s first wife, Laura.

It was a sad day in 77, first Elvis died, then William Plymouth announced his cancer.  He said he was too sick to carry on.

Kid Jupiter took the name Captain Jupiter in a public ceremony.     The Nuclear Family split up.  Atomica returned to her home world.   

William Plymoouth married his third wife, Julie.   

Plymouth famously came out of retirement in 85 when the evil and unknown villain Mr. Saturn publically tortured and killed Captain Jupiter.   Driven by rage, the sick, old, and feeble Captain Atom publicly called out the villain and they battled near his old stomping ground of Los Alamos, New Mexico.    The Captain grabbed Mr. Saturn around the waist, lifted him and transformed them both to granite.   Killing himself and the villain, and saving the world in the process.

He is survived by his daughter from his first wife, and her four children, and five great grandchildren.   His two children from his second wife, and their three children.   

As of this year, a bill has been introduced into Congress by William Plymouth IV, to make November 13, Captain Atom Day.   

I hope it passes.

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2015 at 10:30pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Captain Atom
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:01am
Print Post  
This is for Jimmy's world.  This was a character I played in 1985.  One of the first with a weakness that impacted the story.  He started out old, and with terninal cancer.  So with a six month "shelf life" I played him with the desire to go out swinging. 

I forgot about him until Jimmy reminded me about him and asked me do a write up.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Outstanding write up

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
By the way. John made up all of that history. Of course I now have to incorporate all of it

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Captain Atom's powers were
  Heightened Charisma
   Heightened Intelligence
   Device: Atomic Belt
              Heightened Strength
              Heightened Defence
              Invulnerability
              Transmutation
Weakness: six months to live from cancer
                Transmutation power will automatically kill any living thing it is used on
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:03pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
He was on a team in WW2 with Iron Mike.  You made that up.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:57am
Print Post  
I love the transmutation weakness. I see that as a power! 

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
The current whereabouts of the Granite "Statue" are unknown but there are three common theories.

1. The Agency known as SPARTA has it hidden away somewhere in a secret vault.

2. A powerful and unknown Villain stole it and is studying it for their own purposes

3. A private collector purchased it from an unknown seller for fifty million dollars in 1986

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Was the belt transformed? And if not it's the property of the Plymouth family.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Sadly due to the fact that our beloved Captain Atom would not let go at the time of the Transmutation the Belt was also transformed to Granite as was everything else in a ten foot radius, including the ground beneath their feet.

Made for a nice pedestal.

IP Logged

>