Magma    
  1 (7.1%)
Magik    
  5 (35.7%)
Cypher    
  2 (14.3%)

Total votes: 14
« Created by: Baretta on: Feb 26th, 2015 at 6:45pm »
Normal Topic Best New Mutant ? (Read 2296 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Best New Mutant ?
Feb 26th, 2015 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I'm sticking with the first eight members of the New Mutants (not counting Kitty Pryde, who was temporarily "demoted" into the team relatively early on).  Smiley

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Re: Best New Mutant ?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 10:45am
Print Post  
No mention of Warlock?

Doug was a great character - no offensive powers (at least in the beginning) - just a tremendously useful ability. It was a huge mistake killing him off.  His return was pretty cool, and the advancement of his power to read even body language was inventive, but still smacked of tweaking his powers to make sure he could fight the fight.  He could have become more of a home base/reluctant field operative.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
i like Cannonball because he had a new twist to a fairly basic power - flight.

I liked Cypher... simple but very useful power that could have many subtle applications. I disliked Warlock. Warlock always struck me as too powerful and a scene-stealer with no intelligence behind the character. That and the art style bugged me.

>shrug<

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
I liked Cannonball because he was a good ole boy but not portrayed with all the usual redneck stereotypes. The accent was atrociously done, though.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Magik was my favorite. I long suspected that her origin story in X-Men 160 (August 1982) was inspired by the movie Poltergeist, but I now see the similarities were probably coincidences, since the film came out in June that year ... And comic book cover dates usually ran about two months ahead of their actual release date.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2015 at 3:41pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Mar 9th, 2015 at 3:39pm:
Magik was my favorite. I long suspected that her origin story in X-Men 160 (August 1982) was inspired by the movie Poltergeist, but I now see the similarities were probably coincidences, since the film came out in June that year ... And comic book cover dates usually ran about two months ahead of their actual release date.

Don't forget that comics had to be written and drawn well in advance (months), so an August cover date is a comic that came out probably in mAy and was likely written and drawn at least by March,  so probably coincidence unless the comics writer had inside info of the film, which is also possible since films have even longer times from production to release date.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 9th, 2015 at 4:31pm:
Don't forget that comics had to be written and drawn well in advance (months), so an August cover date is a comic that came out probably in mAy and was likely written and drawn at least by March,  so probably coincidence unless the comics writer had inside info of the film, which is also possible since films have even longer times from production to release date.

The origin story also reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, with the young blonde girl falling through a hole into a chaotic universe and having a best friend who happens to be a cat … but those Wonderland/Looking Glass similarities are much more subtle.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
I was a big fan of Dani Moonstar and think that her fear projection was the tip of where they could have gone.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Mar 9th, 2015 at 5:46pm:
I was a big fan of Dani Moonstar and think that her fear projection was the tip of where they could have gone.

I liked her too. I thought the character "jumped" the shark when she began to create solid objects from people's minds. Her emotion powers had so much overlooked potential.

Ramble wrote on Mar 7th, 2015 at 5:37pm:
I disliked Warlock. Warlock always struck me as too powerful and a scene-stealer with no intelligence behind the character. That and the art style bugged me.

Agreed.

IP Logged

>