Pyro    
  1 (6.7%)
Avalanche    
  1 (6.7%)
Destiny    
  1 (6.7%)

Total votes: 15
« Created by: Baretta on: Feb 27th, 2015 at 1:05am »
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Favorite Evil Mutant? (Read 9661 times)
Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Favorite Evil Mutant?
Feb 27th, 2015 at 1:05am
Print Post  
This list includes members of the original Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and the Byrne/Claremont "new" Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

I left out Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, as they were reluctant villains who reformed. And I left out Magneto cuz he seemed like a shoe-in to win.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: Favorite Evil Mutant?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 1:21am
Print Post  
I like Mystique, but I *DO NOT* like her old costume!

mystique_by_vindications-d5gwysp.png ( 403 KB | 6 Downloads )
mystique_by_vindications-d5gwysp.png

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 1:40am
Print Post  
You forgot the most evil mutant of all; Charles Xavier. 

He formed a school where he indoctrinated young kids, sometimes even brain wiping their own parents, into forming a well armed terrorist group.

He taught this group to flaunt the law, harbor criminals, assault law officers, threaten normal humans, break and enter into government and or military computers, tamper with evidence, and build unregulated, alien (and repeatedly explosive) power supplies.

And he did this all while using his mental powers to make them think they were the good guys.

And if that wasn't enough, he a so called teacher lusted after his under aged students.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2015 at 1:41am by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Baretta
Avenger

Former V&V Player

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 1:49am
Print Post  
John wrote on Feb 27th, 2015 at 1:40am:
And if that wasn't enough, he a so called teacher lusted after his under aged students.

I know about Jean Grey. Did Xavier have lecherous feelings after any of the other students?

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I think Raven is gonna win, but Mastermind almost got my vote because of how he effed with Wolverine and Mariko.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I think Raven is gonna win, but Mastermind almost got my vote because of how he effed with Wolverine and Mariko.

Not to mention Jean Grey while he was Jason Wyngarde.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Feb 27th, 2015 at 1:21am:
I like Mystique, but I *DO NOT* like her old costume!

I thought that was her original costume!

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Blob - he reminds me of an Uncle Smiley

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Wyngarde got the vote for being more powerful than he was through manipulation and truly toppling the all-new, all-different roster.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 9:55am
Print Post  
I thought Raven was a Teen Titan.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Raven is Mystiques name. I am not sure if its her real name, but its the name Destiny always used for her.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Raven Darkholme.  Kinda cheese and sounds totally made up, like she's a Dungeons and Dragons character.

Mastermind is a total bastard.  One of the best Cyclops issues was when Mastermind made the other X-men see Cyke as Dark Phoenix, and he had to defeat them all.  Great art and a high point of Cyclop's career, showcasing his ability as a combatant.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 10:29am:
Raven is Mystiques name. I am not sure if its her real name, but its the name Destiny always used for her.

No idea.  Never was into X-Men much.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:42pm:

You're dead to me.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 10:52am
Print Post  
If I had to pick.. I'd pick Mystique.  She had vision, style and some level of honor to her.  I HATED Mastermind... he was sniveling dweeb who got off on hurting people who his little-minded ego felt were 'better' than him.

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 1:05am:
Matt wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:42pm:

You're dead to me.

Still beats reading Chris Claremont comics.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Though I'm a huge X-Men fan (and have been for over three decades), I have to admit that I'd rather have teeth pulled than have to read Claremont's dialogue.  One can only handle so many "with a speed that belied his massive bulk" or "he's the best he is at what he does" or "the sum total of her psychic energy", etc. before wanting to pull one's hair out!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:13pm:
Though I'm a huge X-Men fan (and have been for over three decades), I have to admit that I'd rather have teeth pulled than have to read Claremont's dialogue.  One can only handle so many "with a speed that belied his massive bulk" or "he's the best he is at what he does" or "the sum total of her psychic energy", etc. before wanting to pull one's hair out!  Roll Eyes

Colossus, Wolverine, and Psylocke respectively.

How many times could Prof X or Cyke refer to mutants as "pariahs"?  I get it, you found a synonym for outcast...

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Don't forget all the "no quarter asked--and none given," calling bad guys "butchers," everybody's idea of a vacation destination being the British Isles, awful Southern accents...

I haven't read too much of the X-Men mainly because the whole "people hate mutants but have no problem with others with super powers" didn't make much sense to start with (how can a man on the street tell that Iceman is a mutant but the Human Torch is a regular human?) andwas beaten worse than a dead horse.

The whole thing never interested me much as I like crime fighters like Spider-Man.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 10:52am:
Mastermind... he was sniveling dweeb who got off on hurting people who his little-minded ego felt were 'better' than him.

Sounds like the definition of a true villain to.  Which is why I never considered Magneto a true villain.  He simply has more expedient methodology to support mutant-kind as opposed to waiting for legislation.  With his background, you can understand.  Not condone mind you, but understand.

One can only handle so many "with a speed that belied his massive bulk" or "he's the best he is at what he does" or "the sum total of her psychic energy", etc. before wanting to pull one's hair out!

Maybe so, and when I was a kid, I found the DC heroes so two dimensional and predictable I could not get into the stories and when you have a hero so powerful you have to invent ways to mess with him, that's just over the top.

That's why I prefer Marvel, with their flawed heroes and depictions of real problems.  I also love Claremont's treatment of the X-Men, particularly personal relationships and he is the person who gave Wolverine some depth rather than being a yellow clad Cuisinart.

You say Po-Tay-Toe and I say Po-Tah-Toe.  I guess that's why there are two major houses and many smaller ones but we still meet in the middle on this game where we can be whatever kind of hero we want.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #20 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 10:32am
Print Post  
have to admit that I'd rather have teeth pulled than have to read Claremont's dialogue.  One can only handle so many "with a speed that belied his massive bulk" or "he's the best he is at what he does" or "the sum total of her psychic energy", etc. before wanting to pull one's hair out! 

My personal least favorite: "We take care of our own."

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #21 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
But it made X-men easy to read... half of it was just "Standard Text", so as soon as you saw a certain situation you knew the text before you ever read it.

Psylocke posing with psychic knife: Standard Text - "...the sum total of her psychic energy..." (which it wasn't since she could still use her powers after using the knife).

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #22 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
...and when I was a kid, I found the DC heroes so two dimensional and predictable I could not get into the stories and when you have a hero so powerful you have to invent ways to mess with him, that's just over the top.

That's why I prefer Marvel, with their flawed heroes and depictions of real problems. 

Klystron: you have actually hit upon a V&V issue, as well as a comic book problem. A lot of players just want to win the fight, so they make up astonishingly powerful characters with utterly no depth. It rapidly turns an excellent and entertaining RPG into a dull slug-fest. It's not a problem with the rules, though some bemoan the lack of any "Balancing mechanic" in the game. That's not the problem here... What it is is an issue with the player and GM. Remember, there is no limit on how powerful an NPC may be so no matter how powerful a player-character is, the GM can always make an NPC designed to kick his butt. Make a good character with some flaws, and you'll have more fun than you will with an Uber-Character with no flaws.

Edited:
To clarify a statement (see blue text)
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2015 at 9:28am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 6:44pm:
It's not a problem with the rules, though some bemoan the lack of any "Balancing mechanic" in the game. That's not the problem here... What it is is an issue with the player and GM.

Too right you are.  The GM is the balancing mechanic.

It is easier to run a hack and slash. Little or no prep, no plot twists that you have to fix after the heroes do something completely unexpected, just roll for initiative and make up the bad guy as you go.  Phui!

It is an obligation of the GM to provide what the players want, but I also play the game to have fun myself.  I will tailor my game to fit what the players want to do but I also stress role-playing.

Non-combat events are just as stressful and exciting as a good old fashioned ass kicking. The heroes will have to interact with a bunch of NPC's and if they decide to behave as if they are entitled to do whatever they want, well, they will likely be spending a few weeks of game time recuperating when established heroes pay a visit.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 9:21am
Print Post  
"the GM is the balancing mechanic": I so wish more folks would read, digest, and understand this instead of moaning on about character points and drawbacks and what not being necessary for a "balanced game." I can tell you from experience that a 250-point Aquaman-inspired hero is no match for a 250-point laser-blaster IF THE GAME IS JUST ABOUT COMBAT AND WE'RE NOT IN THE OCEAN. That's what GMs are for, isn't it: to make sure every player gets a chance to do cool stuff with his character? Or to at least tell you up front, "Hey, you might not want to spend a lot of points on powers that only work in an aquatic setting as this campaign is going to spend a lot of time in outer space."

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #25 - Apr 6th, 2015 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 5th, 2015 at 9:21am:
Or to at least tell you up front, "Hey, you might not want to spend a lot of points on powers that only work in an aquatic setting as this campaign is going to spend a lot of time in outer space."

Agreed.  It's important the the GM and the players are on the same page in terms of what kind of campaign they want to run.

I always felt like Aquaman's player would ask at each game, "Are we going to the ocean this time?"
"No, we're fighting aliens in space."
"Couldn't they be mer-people from Lemuria?"
"No.  Water adventures suck because of the mobility issues,  pressure dangers, and lack of oxygen.  So we're going into space."
" Angry"

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #26 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
The whole "Balanced" system thing has been done already. One was "Living Legends" by Mister Dee. I don't know if it sold or not, but there is not room in the market for two versions of "Living Legends". Another was "Big Eyes, Small Mouth" by Guardians of Order. This game is defunct and no longer supported.

To me, it seems as though a "Balanced System" is a path to V&V's demise. I for one would rather see some expanded rules to help get players and GM's started down the right path and open their eyes to the endless opportunities to be found in V&V.

I admit that V&V is not "Perfect" but it's so close as to be indistinguishable from perfect. Smiley

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #27 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I'd prefer less tooling around with the actual rules and more GM advice and ideas and play examples.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
So, what I meant by "balancing mechanic" is that the GM must run the game to present difficult but surmountable challenges to the players and sometimes the players must taste the sting of defeat.

I also think teams should be balanced, not too heavy in a any one thing, but like any team set up for success, diverse and able to build off each other. Sure, a team of all Ben Grimms would be great in combat and wonderful to have with you on moving day, but when dexterity or stealth is required, not so much.

The thing about balance is the GM needs to tailor the scenario to the limitations of the player characters and not the strengths. IMHO, a good game forces the players to think outside the box and penalizes them for not doing so.

For example, I just started a new game with a group of players I have never played with before. It has been a long time since I ran or played a game, so I decided to buy a few adventures, use them as a reference for recreating some of my old stuff, create new stuff, do the heavy thinking while I got used to the game again and introduce people who had never played this game before to how it is supposed to go. I made some changes, however, that will fit into my long game.

The players did well but missed several clues that would have helped them tremendously in future adventures because the first villain they met will become the major recurring baddie they must contend with in coming adventures. 
They missed the clues that would have helped them figure out his next move because they were too busy asserting their dominance during combat and got caught short when the bad guy hit the priest hole and left behind a nasty surprise to slow their pursuit.

Now, they are going to have a helluva time when they meet again and have to spend some time discovering what they should already know. They do not know what his major offensive power is, what his motivation is, how he can be neutralized and what his overall goal is.  In fact, at some point, one of the team will have problems with his powers as an effect of his origin and other factors.  They will be forced to seek out their arch-enemy and work with him to repair the damage because he is the only person on earth with the knowledge and experience to deal with the problem.

This is a clear case of what they don't know can kill them and just might. Now, they have a long road to travel and a few more fights to lose to make up for what they could have known just by getting the villain to monologue and picking up the papers on the floor.

What makes being a GM fun for me; the players unraveling the mysteries, outsmarting me and defeating the scenario if not the villain(s).  Of course, it is up to me to enable their success without handing it to them on a platter.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #29 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 7th, 2015 at 8:04pm:
I'd prefer less tooling around with the actual rules and more GM advice and ideas and play examples.

That would be awesome.

By "Expansion", I mean basically what you're asking for. A GM guide would be excellent, and some more Examples of play would be great. Some "spring boards" would be great too. as I think some players are intimidated by the freedom granted by the V&V system. I would not recommend altering an existing rule. I would, instead, like to see a book that shows people how to get the most from the existing rules.

If you read the "Creative in V&V" posts I did (yes, totally self serving), you will see where I would go, were I king for a day.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2015 at 9:07pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #30 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Very much agree with what you guys have said about the balancing factor of the GM.

Quote:
One can only handle so many "with a speed that belied his massive bulk" or "he's the best he is at what he does" or "the sum total of her psychic energy", etc. before wanting to pull one's hair out!

Maybe so, and when I was a kid, I found the DC heroes so two dimensional and predictable I could not get into the stories and when you have a hero so powerful you have to invent ways to mess with him, that's just over the top.

That's why I prefer Marvel, with their flawed heroes and depictions of real problems.  I also love Claremont's treatment of the X-Men, particularly personal relationships and he is the person who gave Wolverine some depth rather than being a yellow clad Cuisinart.

You say Po-Tay-Toe and I say Po-Tah-Toe.  I guess that's why there are two major houses and many smaller ones but we still meet in the middle on this game where we can be whatever kind of hero we want.

Personally, I've always been a huge Marvel fan, and barely dabble with anything from DC.  I'm not criticizing Marvel at all.  I just tired of Claremont's clichés is all (tried picking up his recent X-Men book and couldn't handle it any longer).

Still, the Claremont/Byrne X-Men run is one of my favorite in all of comics, and I've re-read it many, many times.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #31 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Thank-you for bringing us back on topic...

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

>