Poll
Poll closed Question: What do you think of the V&V rules and mechanics?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Totally Broken    
  0 (0.0%)
Rough, but useful    
  0 (0.0%)
Totally outdated    
  1 (7.7%)
Not bad, but not good either    
  1 (7.7%)
Acceptable    
  2 (15.4%)
Pretty Good    
  4 (30.8%)
Great    
  5 (38.5%)
The best EVER!    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 13
« Last Modified by: Ironnerd on: Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:09pm »
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What do you think of the V&V rules and mechanics? (Read 8403 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

What do you think of the V&V rules and mechanics?
Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
In other discussions, on other forums, the discussion entered in to the territory covered by this poll. Some would like to see most of it changed, others think it needs some polish. I think the rules need some more verbosity, and some work to fill in some things that are hinted at, but not actually covered in the rules.

Where are y'all on this one?
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:09pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Re: What do you think of the V&V rules and mechanics?
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Some polish for sure - but readily playable. 
The combat chart could be thinned, and some defenses should mitigate damage rather than make it harder to hit. 

I certainly wouldn't want more and more rules - one of the things that helps this game is the freedom to experiment and the wiggle room provided.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Thank you for putting this one up, Ypsilanti; a poll, by nature, is going to be pretty rough in terms of defining what's good/what's not good, but the categories you chose do a strong job of hitting the major categories.

I was kind of hee-hawing between "Great" and "Best ever!" but went for Great because there definitely is room (as Jeff and Jack have themselves stated) for clean-up and improvement.  V&V 2.0 and 2.1 have been noted for attending to a rather restricted power level, as far as the RAW are concerned - the exponential hit point calculations make anyone over/above a solid Justice League/Avengers level rather self-defeating in terms of playability; another point of (potential) serious difficulty is characters with multiple, multiple attacks per round, and the lack of a workable skills system.  Nonetheless, the game still cracks the whip when it comes to sheer rapid-fire game progression and fight resolution.  Although my experience with other systems is admittedly limited (M&M 2e forms the majority of it; 3e is a big "ugh" experience and I've yet to give a shot to others - which have a good reputation - such as Truth & Justice), I would say that the introduced amendments for 3.0 do address a number of the outstanding rough points.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 6:45am
Print Post  
While I really like the game "as is", but no game is perfect and I agree there is room for improvement.

The skill system is "iffy" for me, but I do see the value for other players. Like any amendment to a game you have to weigh the pros and cons. I think for most, it would be beneficial - as long as it actually fits the game and is not just scabbed on.

Tempest: Take a look at ICONS. It's a pretty "streamlined" little system. If you can get your hands on it, Big Eyes, Small Mouth 2e was also very interesting and had a few similarities to V&V with a Skill system. In fact the tri-stat system used to create BESM was also used for Silver Age Sentinels (a super hero game).

My other favorite game is "Battletech", which is notable because it has several levels of rules. Level 1 is very basic Battletech up to Level 4 for the out there stuff (which is REALLY fun, but bogs game play down). The nice thing is that none of the rules actually change any core component of the system, they higher levels just let you refine things more and make more things possible, and it lets players and GM's grow into the game. And, you need not use all of the rules from a given level. You can play Level 1, with some rules from level 2 and level 4 thrown in for fun and flavor. There is that part of my V&V brain that would like to go that direction.

This means V&V as it exists (with corrections) could be "V&V level 1".
The addition of "Skills" (and other stuff) could be "V&V level 2".

I'm just thinking in text here --- don't read a lot into any of this.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2015 at 6:55am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Part of the appeal for me is the lack of verbosity and the leaving of many things open to GM interpretation. I dislike games such as the recent editions of Hero and M&M that try to give a rule for every bit of minutiae that might come up during play. Oftentimes that legalistic language makes it HARDER to understand the rules. I don't know whether I would want a "skill system" in V&V. Seems like a good idea at first, but then I see games with these enormous lists of skills where half of them seem almost redundant like acrobatics, gymnastics, breakfall, tumbling, and athletics all being skills.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 11:35am
Print Post  
The counter to that Matt, is that many of the players of RPGS in the market today don't have the same problem solving mentality of role-players from the 1982 revised generation. I understand avoiding redundancy, but some things are actually missing from V&V and the solution can't always be house rule the crap out of the game because not having enough systems with parameters keeps the game from being shared across borders as is without having to swallow a new GMs encyclopedia of house rules. Comes with being a 33YO game. Having said this I'm not an advocate of changing how the character is constructed, stat gen and blocks because personally I'd like to see all the material that works keep working with absolutely minimal impact on how its written. Mechanically speaking Tempest said it best in pointing out the games weaknesses, and when you peel that open, it's a lot of stuff. The challenge is how to spell some of that stuff out consistently and universally to new GMs or make some of it work differently from the same material to make it smoother.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2015 at 11:36am by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Matt, I agree with you, and I'm still very "Iffy" on Skills. A lot of games are pretty rigid, and define everything that the authors think might happen, then when something unforeseen happens (and it will), the players are stuck. I also worry that having a lot of skills will turn a fun adventure into a long string of Skill Rolls.

A save vs the relevant has worked pretty well for me, and the players seem okay with it.

Were this a Spy game - I would expect to see skills out the Byoo-tox.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 1:55am
Print Post  
To me V&V feels like the superheroic equivalent of old school D&D in some ways. There are no skills in either; you just have the character's background and go with what makes sense for him as far as skills or knowledge go. Rolling vs. the appropriate attribute has always worked for me with both games. There are basically three options when a player suggests his character will try something: you can do it, you can't do it, or maybe you can do it if you roll vs. X.

I'd be open to some skills as long as they are broad and the list is relatively short and genre-appropriate. Hero system goes too far for my taste. Maybe something like TSR Marvel Super Heroes could work.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 21st, 2015 at 1:55am:
To me V&V feels like the superheroic equivalent of old school D&D in some ways. There are no skills in either; you just have the character's background and go with what makes sense for him as far as skills or knowledge go. Rolling vs. the appropriate attribute has always worked for me with both games. There are basically three options when a player suggests his character will try something: you can do it, you can't do it, or maybe you can do it if you roll vs. X.

It's like you're reading my mind.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 21st, 2015 at 1:55am:

You've summed my thoughts up nicely. The beauty of V&V is the open and unrestricted nature of the rules allow for the game to be handled by the GM in response to what the players want to do. Skills are OK and I have had players with them and I have played characters with some skill sets.  These are typically written in to the characters background on inception or trained for during the course of play. I try to keep them in sync with the character's basic theme. A martial artist is not likely to have uber-hacking skills but a character whose origin involved technology might.

In my experience, skills do not enter in to the game much outside of problem-solving. I use them as a vehicle to allow the heroes to figure out what is going on (computer skills, higher education, etc.).

We all tweak the rules to suit our individual outlooks and to fit what we want to get out of this game. Usually, powers and ingenuity in a team that is well balanced can get the job done.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I kinda wonder if anyone thought the V&V rules were "totally broken" or "totally outdated," would they even be on this site?

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Fair question, Matt; the only probable answers I can come up with is that a) any individual who does hate V&V as a game system would only come on here to troll and ladle out strategic insults - "Hasn't been updated in over thirty years!  Bet that looks real good on the W2/T4 in March!  Any plans to start defibrillating the game any time soon?" - and would click one of the options you mentioned as another way of putting the stick in the eye.  The b) side of it is that a person who did play the game x-years ago, and has memorial affections for it but has moved on to other, more "modern" systems, might show up and click "Totally broken/outdated" to show how mature they've become in their RPG outlook and how sad this time-constrained game engine (and audience) have become in their dotage.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Good points Matt and Tempest...
Actually, I just put the full range of responses up there to cover all the bases. If I had just gone with "Acceptable" on up, someone would say it was a pretty crappy poll. Worse yet, they would be right.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I think I might go back to getting rid of skills (I've dabbled in several optional skill systems) and allowing rolls just against attributes. Players could argue that their character might have a bonus based on background, but it is not set in stone.

I guess the only thing I think is "out-dated" is the "roll under" mechanic, which is actually so easy to convert to "roll-over" that it is almost criminal. Otherwise i would have voted Great!
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2015 at 7:13pm by Lord Inar »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I kinda like the roll-under mechanic. But if I woke up tomorrow and V&V was a roll-over system - I would be okay with that as well Smiley

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I'm a big fan of the uniqueness of V&V and really like the roll under mechanic as well.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
It gives you a chance to use that shitty "jinxed" d20 that always rolls 1's.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:23pm:

My dice manage to roll 1s only for games where you want a 20. Then they roll 20s in games where a 1 is preferable. They're just a-holes like that.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 8:40pm:
Phrennzy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:23pm:

My dice manage to roll 1s only for games where you want a 20. Then they roll 20s in games where a 1 is preferable. They're just a-holes like that.

You're not a true gamer until you have destroyed a dice with a hammer, vise, or fire because it failed you one too many times.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 11:41pm:
You're not a true gamer until you have destroyed a dice with a hammer, vise, or fire because it failed you one too many times.

Does donating them to another player count?  In an effort to sabotage their character?  Even if it would be in character for me to do?

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #20 - Apr 6th, 2015 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Does donating them to another player count?  In an effort to sabotage their character? 

That's the only way it would count.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
LOL!  One friend of mine has used a hammer and other items to smash them.  At their old apartment he used to go out on the balcony and chuck 'bad' dice into the woods.

Nowadays I crack up at dice shamingGrin

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #22 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
I had a friend who would toss a bunch of d4's outside your bedroom door after you went to bed...

I admire that level of pranksterism.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:59pm:
I had a friend who would toss a bunch of d4's outside your bedroom door after you went to bed...

I admire that level of pranksterism.

Improvised caltrops.  Grin

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
My only issue with the "just give them a stat roll" for a skill is hinged off one V&V dude, and some comic book guys.

Aztech has an above average, but still not amazing, INT for a guy who invented a flying pack with life support gear, and a functional laser system.

Conversely, if he has some sort of skill adder to reflect that he put in time and training in it, this might give him a better roll than someone who is super smart, but has little or no training.

Now compare the following three comic book super-scientists: Henry Pym, Tony Stark, Reed Richards.

Highest INT? Possibly Tony. Highest Skill? Possibly Pym. Highest total? Reed, ever day and twice on Sundays. You might be able to make the argument that Reed wins both categories, and I'd be kinda hard pressed to say you're wrong, but hopefully my point comes through.

Just making it a stat roll to me is almost meaningless. It reflects nothing of real dedication and training. If you really want to go grognard old school 1e AD&D, maybe take a look at what 5e did with their skill system. It blends a bit from both worlds. You have a proficiency bonus that links to level, and if you're proficient in a skill, you add that bonus to the stat check. It's simple, and it rewards "training" as opposed to only rewarding lucky die rolls and Heightened Stat B.

This would also make it easier to depict highly skilled characters without having to give them ridiculous and thematically unsupported stats.

Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #25 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I tweaked with  the rules so that with the exception of damage,  all lower die rolls are better.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #26 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
After last nights game I "tweaked" with the d20 to make it roll lower.  Wink

5 rolls of 20's out of the first 6 d20 rolls last night between me and Paul. Has to be a record.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #27 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Did you file the corners or weight it with clear nail polish?

If you are really careful, you can drill some 1.5mm holes, insert BBs and melt some drill shavings back over the hole. I little buffing, and no one can tell what you've done...

Grin

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #28 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Poll is now CLOSED.

The votes are about what I expected.

Thank-you all for your participation - just wish we would have had more voters.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

>