Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Creative in V&V (Read 8876 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Re: Creative in V&V
Reply #35 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Well, it's Saturday again (the week really went by quickly!) so here is more weirdness.

Just to be clear - I'm not doing this as someone who freelances for FGU. This is all stuff about how I do things when I play a game of V&V with my fellow nerds. I don't normally put many of my "House Rules" into the stuff I write (I think I snuck in two maybe three small ones, but no one seems to have noticed). There is a huge difference between writing for Official V&V books, and just "thinking in text" with fellow fans. I have been wanting to do a space adventure, but it would be all my personal house rules, so I'm letting it sit for the time being.

So... having said that, here are my thoughts on "Mecha". I know, it's a Japanese word, but it's easier to type "Mecha" than it is to type "Super vehicles/armor/space ships/robots/and cyber-critters". The attached file is just how I create and use these in my personal campaigns. So read on.

Also, these are all just topics off the top of my head. I don't know what you guys want as far as subject matter, so if you have something lemme know. And feel free to post your own weirdness in here. This is not where I display my genius (or lack thereof) and everyone tells me how amazing I am. It's where we all get creative with the rules.

Edited:
Because my typing is dreadful.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2015 at 10:22am by Ironnerd »  

MECHA.pdf ( 37 KB | 6 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #36 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
The way I play or GM is giving the players the benefit of the doubt when the situation calls for it, and more so for role play opportunity. I don't use critical successes, hits, misses or failures. I'm a big proponent of impartiality, and in V&V that can be very difficult to achieve.

Lethality or difficulty is a side effect of experience level; I consider the cause and/or skill of the manufacturer of the circumstance. If a 15th level chemist makes a deadly poison gas to the best of his knowledge, his toxin is likely more lethal than a 2nd Level chemist. When presenting that to the players, they always have a chance to succeed or fail based on their score, but the scale is based on the real points they have accumulated in that score. If there is a modifier to the difficulty/lethality, it is applied prior to the calculation and I always do saves as percentages. As they level up, they might acquire more points in a given score.

At my table, it is nice that there are other results to gaining a higher score, like HPs, move, Power, etc., but those are separate from the issue, not acceptable advantages to overlook what the player has earned and added to their sheet to make a difference in the outcome. To be clear, it's not just saves, it's any non-power skill/feat/task/insert-what-you-call-it-here rolls.

Although I love RPGs, I acknowledge that dice are important, not the last word, but means to some ends. So I certainly take care to not make it a game of 'dice', but it is a game and significantly a game that uses and relies on die rolls. There are some common things that go with rules, mechanics, etc., that make sense. One is a single die roll for a single task and then role play the result.

FWIW, This isn't a dig on anybody, but something to clear up the perception of my view.

I have some water to drink, thank you for the well wishing.

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2015 at 2:13pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #37 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Well, good to know we have so much in common. We may call some things by different names, but we seem to be in agreement on a great many things.

Thank-you for the clarification, and get better soon.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2015 at 6:13pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #38 - May 21st, 2015 at 7:06am
Print Post  
I am back to contributing to FGU for the V&V line - although on a rather limited basis. I currently have one adventure out for art, and nothing else planned.

Since I am once again working for FGU, I will no longer be posting in 'House of Ideas', or reading posts in this area of the forum, except for THIS ONE. I figure I made the thing, I ought to be able to look at it...
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2015 at 8:50pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>