Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Creative in V&V (Read 8875 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Creative in V&V
Mar 19th, 2015 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Hey, all. I thought I would let you all inside my mind for a few minutes to see how the V&V part of it works.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2015 at 3:38pm by Ironnerd »  

Getting_Creative_with_Villains.pdf ( 51 KB | 32 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Creative in V&V
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
I  totally agree, Ypsilanti, and think your expanding of powers concept is very much in the spirit of the rules.  You're spot-on about Inventing Points representing 'Brilliant Ideas', so it logically follows that one could do things like this.  It's why I and my group have come up with Inspiration to replace Inventing.  This allows things like Power Stunts.

Of note too might be this old thread I stumbled across when looking for my old Inventing one.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks! I liked the links - good conversations.

I didn't think I was the first to think of it - I mean after 30 years someone else HAD to come up with almost the exact same thing. I would not consider it a "House Rule" though, just a logical extension to an existing rule.

I did leave out one important thing - inventions may not be as powerful as Powers - evens Spells should be "Nearly" as powerful as a Power. But Vi-Brawn's new attack is harder to land than a normal vibe attack, and might do less damage (I dunno how "Brawny" he actually is---I just needed a clever name), so he should be safe in that regard.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2015 at 7:06pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Okay, a second installment of my thoughts on a V&V topic.

This time: TRAPS  Smiley

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong on any of these. Part of the reason I decided to do this was to get some conversations going.

Traps.pdf ( 70 KB | 13 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Do traps have any variation in lethality or difficulty?

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I've played D&D for a looooooooooong time.  Traps don't add much when they're out of the usual places (on a chest or door) other than to slow the party down to a crawl as they search for the seemingly invisible, ever present boogey man know as traps.

Comics don't have a lot of traps either, in my experience.  Unless the Hero is venturing into an ancient pyramid, in which case, see D&D and Indiana Jones. 

In V&V I wouldn't expect much trap use, unless the villain is an  Arcade type villain.  Even then, the traps should be obvious, like a giant bear trap with the desired object on the pressure plate.  A challenge to overcome, rather than a surprise damage burst.

A pit trap is fine, as there are a lot of ways to avoid it.  But a silent, odorless Death Touch gas trap isn't going to be much fun. 

Traps should add to the fun of the game, not detract it by slowing the mechanics down, or ruthlessly eliminating PCs. 

Good subject to touch upon.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Thank-you, Phrennzy.

I agree that it really only takes one or two traps to get the party wrapped around the axle trying to find more traps (that may not even be there). But if that is what the GM wants, then he should go for it - but probably use with caution.

And yeah... the "Assured Silent Death" sort of trap would suck the fun out of an adventure.

Your example of the bear trap with the precious object on the pressure plate is a really good one. How would you defeat the trap?
First, I would expect the trap to attack at level 4 (since it is non-sentient) and as HtH (with a modifier to hit since the character's body part would be IN the jaws in order to grab the precious thing).

Off the top of my head, you could use TK to defeat it, or teleportation, magnetic powers, vibratory powers, sonic powers, strength, rocks, Non-corporealness, gravity control, Animal control, Plant control, Transmutation, chemical powers (acid), solid illusions, any number of magical spells, and of course heightened speed or a save vs Agility, or any number of ways to defeat such a trap. Teaming up to have multiple vigilantes work together to disable the trap is another good role-playing method.

The idea that the only way to defeat a trap is a save versus a basic characteristic does not take into account the endless possibilities of V&V. Also traps are meant to stop intruders/thieves, not destroy the precious thing (like a bomb would)... And if you fill the room with poison gas, how long will the people who want to protect the precious thing have to wait before they get to look at it again?
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2015 at 5:58pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
So... do traps have varying difficulty or lethality???

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 29th, 2015 at 5:56pm:
And if you fill the room with poison gas, how long will the people who want to protect the precious thing have to wait before they get to look at it again?

Maybe the trap also has a cleansing component machine vacuum dohickey to evacuate the gas when the bad guys come to clear the room of its victims?

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 8:39am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Mar 29th, 2015 at 11:07pm:
dohickey

Let's not get bogged down with technical jargon.

The traps would definitely have varying degrees of lethality, just as the different villains do.  And just like the GM decides which villains to apply against the party, likewise he'd set the danger level of the trap.  V&V lacks a 'balancing' metric solely because of how wildly a character is built. 

As Ypsilanti Jackson points out, we have to consider the occupant of the structure and the owner of the MacGuffin when building the trap.  Is it a trap in the villain's lair?  If so, how does he get around it?  I've read many real life stories of booby traps killing or maiming their owners.  If the villain has to pee at 2am, does he really want to deactivate his Neuralizer while half asleep?

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 8:39am:
the GM decides which villains to apply against the party, likewise he'd set the danger level of the trap

Right. I've been saying this now for years. They're not always level 4 animated servants. I do agree that the rules that apply to the way animated servants run is a good start.

As far as the doohickey - that was a counterpoint that a villain gassing a room might not have to wait any length of time at all to use his room again or retrieve the precious item. That's really at the GM's discretion too.

BTW, V&V's lack of a balancing metric comes from there being no consistent scalars translating between the various level of super powers and the basic characteristics.

But not getting caught up in jargon, Polarboy has posted a number of rules of thumb that help corral the common things into some loose guidelines.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2015 at 5:18pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
AK, this is an opinion piece giving my thoughts on a few subjects in V&V. It is not a house rule, variant rule, or any other kind of rule. You have already expressed your thoughts on the matter of traps, etc... in your Optional Variant Rule Freebie on the FGU site.

If you wish to see the rules changed in this matter you, as a contributor to V&V and FGU, may do so. I am not a contributor, neither is Phrennzy is not, so our his V&V fate is in your hands, not vice versa.

Thank-you.

Edited:
Edited to reflect the fact that I have returned to being a contributor to FGU and V&V.

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2015 at 4:47pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I've only used traps sporadically over the years.  One GM in my campaign threw a really deadly trap at the PCs that nearly ended some of them (the PC was suddenly surrounded by the equivalent of a force field, but the more he used his powers the more damage he took and trouble he was in, IIRC).

It's worth noting that one of the FGU freebies - the restaurant Diamante's - has traps built in to the villains' underground HQ.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 3:24pm:
AK...Thank-you.

So I'm not allowed to express any opinions here? I can't give a nod to the hundreds of posts here from Polarboy that give great guidelines to GMs that might help them be consistent?
Okey dokey smokey. Have a great day!  Smiley

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Re: Creative in V&V - an apology to AlabasterKnight
Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Well... I guess I've hit upon another sensitive subject, and for that, I apologize.

What I am saying is that most of us already know your opinion on the matter, since most people on this forum have read your Optional Variant Rule Freebie on the FGU site. Those who have not really should, it is a worthy read, and makes many interesting points.

Of course you are welcome to express opinions here, that is the very nature of a forum. And I have great respect for Polarboy's encyclopedic knowledge of V&V - indeed he has corrected me on several occasions.

My concern is that you may have seen my post as something it is not. That misunderstanding has caused friction between us in the past, and I have no desire to go down that path again.  I was going to answer your question, but I wanted to do some research first. As it turns out, Phrennzy answered the question more eloquently than I could have, so I let it stand.

It was not my intention to upset or offend you, and if I have, I am truly sorry.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Kanonfodder
Sidekick

Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Hello everyone,

I've kinda been silent for a while since words normally aren't my thing. I tend to just put out the pretty pictures. So, I tend to just kinda watch things go by from the background.

However, as I go through this thread something struck me. You guys keep talking about lethal traps and traps that kill and so on. The thing is though, in most of my vast comic book collection, I rarely if ever see any traps that would kill a hero. Most traps in the spirit of comic books tend to be there to immobilize or contain a hero. You know so that the villain can prattle on about his plan. This isn't D&D, we aren't raiding dungeons here normally.

After all when you think about a villain, a REAAAAALLLLY good villain. Like say Magneto from the X-Men. He doesn't just want to rule the world, he wants to make sure the heroes either see how they were wrong to oppose him. Or the even better thing would be that he was right all along and that they should join him since he views himself as a hero. Even the Joker, he's not just out to kill. He wants people to know WHO is doing the villainy. And with a random dead hero in a random trap, no one would be there to watch.

Sorry had to break silence and drop my two cents. I'm going back into my corner with my tablet now.

You can check out other stuff I do here http://yadartworks.com or here http://kanonfodder.deviantart.com
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #16 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Edited:
To add "the"

...huh... I did not think of that. Weird what happens when Yad looks up from the tablet... I may have to update my thoughts on this matter, but only in the way villains use traps, not how traps basically function.

AlabasterKnight: It did not occur to me until after my post that in my effort to avoid friction on this subject, I may have made you feel that I was excluding you from the conversation. Please accept my apologies for that. You are a valued contributor to FGU, and it was not my intent to alienate you.

Per your question: As written, the V&V revised edition (VV2) rules do not specify "Lethality" or "Difficulty" ratings, but do give guidance to players and GM's that various rolls may be modified to reflect the relative difficulty of accomplishing a given task. Thus falling off a log may be a simple save vs Agility, while falling off a slippery log may be a save vs AGL-5. Also an attack that does 1d20 damage, could be seen as being more lethal than an attack doing 1d6 damage.

I am very comfortable with a trap being an "animated servant" of sorts and thus being limited to experience level 4 for combat purposes. It is, in my opinion, in the spirit of the written rules (since it was written into a V&V source book by Mr. Herman), and whenever possible I attempt to work within the spirit of the rules.

I am concerned that if V&V contributors state that traps can be of varying EXP levels, then it's a very short step to "animated servants" can be different exp levels, then on to "animals" and other nonsentients. I think a less-slippery-slope solution is to simply assign modifiers to the % to detect hidden/danger rolls, and another modifier to the trap's to-hit value (or accuracy).

I understand that you (Alabasterknight, and anyone else reading this) may feel differently on this subject, and should you wish to state your opinion in this forum, you are welcomed to do so. As stated before, however, I have no desire to enter into another unfortunate discussion resembling one already documented on this forum.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2015 at 4:31pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I don't normally lurk in this forum, but this time I am glad I did.

I never realized it until reading this thread that I do not use traps as such in V&V.  I guess it is just not that kind of game or I was influenced by the lack of them in the books.

Mainly, my traps are to alert the villain a potentially very bad day is fast approaching. I have used them to capture and hold, but typically, they simply remove the advantage of surprise or to lure to the heroes into a corner where the villain attempts to exterminate them himself..

I have also used them as red herrings. These provide false clues the lead the heroes astray and are always accompanied by counter-clues that will tip the savvy player of the true nature of the trap.

I seem to avoid the inanimate attack and prefer to let the heroes save themselves.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Interesting timing on that comment, Klystron... I just finished revising my previous document to include (mostly) what you just said.

Edited:
To add a bit more

This is actually a pretty interesting conversation. It turns out that traps are not at all common in V&V. Of course, I should have realized that since I have all the legacy adventures and only DNAgents has "TRAPS" called out as "Traps". Assassin has a srota-trap, but it's more like an automated anti-aircraft gun.

Cool beans, guys.

Edited:
Corrected attached document per Majestic's post below
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2015 at 2:42pm by Ironnerd »  

Creative_traps_IIIa.pdf ( 78 KB | 8 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Nicely done, Ironnerd.

Minor edit: It should be "lose" rather than "loose".

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Revised with correction.  Roll Eyes

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #21 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Now the doc just needs a picture of Admiral Ackbar yelling "It's a Tarp!"

[I didn't realize that this misspelling meme actually has an Urban Dictionary entry.  And for another fun anecdote (that I stumbled upon looking up the above picture), the fellow who voiced Ackbar has never even seen A New Hope!]
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:09pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #22 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
OK. It's Saturday, and I have decided that "Saturday" is a good day for posting weirdness.

Here is some more of my thoughts on what can be done in V&V. This week I'll be blathering on about Saving throws.

I know this has been something of a "Hot Button" topic in the past, but I hope it does not explode this time. Just remember, this is one nerd's opinion, not a house rule, variant rule, optional rule or anything else, it's just the way I handle some stuff in the game.
Edited:
Because I can't SPELL...

Edited:
To remove file - see following post
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2015 at 9:42am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Okay... so the document I posted was rough (spelling, title of referenced adventure, bad math, etc...), and I left out the link to Mr. Bishop's' "TO SAVE OR NOT TO SAVE" Variant Rule that I had intended to put in there. That has all been fixed (I think) so here is the slightly updated version of the same document.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2015 at 9:03pm by Ironnerd »  

Creative_Saves.pdf ( 103 KB | 12 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #24 - Apr 6th, 2015 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Y'know... this little article got me thinking (I normally have odd thoughts a few days after I finish writing something).
The sample character in this document, Ninjoid, has an Agility of 120.

From the get-go, he has an initiative roll of 121-130 which translates to 9 possible actions per turn, which is not bad at all.
He also has a +17 to all to-hit rolls, and +19 to all damage, again, not bad.
Assuming he's average in all other respects (150 lb, S, E, and I all 10), this guy would have 150 power, 37 hit points, and 140 movement points (about 32 mph), and 20-23 damage in basic hand-to-hand combat (with a HtH basic to hit of 22 or less on 1d20 - basically guaranteed).

Don't forget that he evades at 1/10th his power, so early on he would evade and be at -15 to be hit (good luck with that). And with 150 power, he could roll with up to 15 damage (if anyone managed to hit him), and could make 9 actions per turn for 9 turns in a row before fatiguing himself.

Give the dude a rifle, and he has a range of 1,400" (1.3 miles), with a base to hit of 24 or less... well, 18 or less out at max range.

All those benefits seem like a pretty fair trade for the chance of failing an AGL save once in 20 attempts.

Edited:
Basic clean up.

Edited:
Math... again...
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2015 at 6:41am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
That's an insanely good Agility (higher than I've ever seen), but he wouldn't be guaranteed to be able to hit any character in my game.

We've had characters with multiple Heightened Defense (admittedly no PCs have had this), others with Heightened Defense stacked with Non-Corporealness or other great defense (also high Level).  Take away 9 or more from his chance to hit and it's no longer quite so automatic. Smiley

FWIW, since we base Evasion on Agility, he'd be at a -24 to be hit (extremely difficult to be hit; almost impossible for most characters).

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #26 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it's ridiculously high Agility. But the issue is that a few people see the 5% fail as a punishment inflicted upon characters with super-high Basic Characteristics. What I am attempting to point out here is that there are ways around this, and the character does get a lot of bonuses to offset the 1:20 chance of a failed save. I went crazy on the Agility to help prove the point.

I don't see the save problem as a big issue - there are times when you roll the dice, and times when you don't. I normally save the dice for important events, and leave mundane events up to role-play.

Ninjoid might make a nice Villain, but not a really fun Player-Character.

Also, not a bad house rule.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #27 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I'm so glad you guys found his agility ridiculous.  I was getting worried.  LOL

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #28 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 5:56pm:
But the issue is that a few people see the 5% fail as a punishment inflicted upon characters with super-high Basic Characteristics. What I am attempting to point out here is that there are ways around this, and the character does get a lot of bonuses to offset the 1:20 chance of a failed save. I went crazy on the Agility to help prove the point.

I think it's funny that your POV on the game and its mechanics has you working very hard to take opinions you don't agree with to task. It's strange to use the scope of a character's ability scores as a quid pro quo to support an argument that in your doc you use to create a straw man with a ridiculously high score to defeat the point.

If the difficulty for the save is consistent and based on the complexity of the thing being saved against, then the % to fail means different things to each character. If the same modifiers (minus whatever) are applied after the result rolled in the shortened range (d20), you have no way to be either consistent or fair.

So then why have the ability to go to 90s on a chart, regularly into the 30s and even 40s, if you're going to cut the legs off of everything above 20? What other game has ever given charts and calcs for characteristics in a percentile range but then used a d20 for tests against those? That many authors place multipliers and change formulas back and forth to d100 saves is just another bit of evidence that the d20 save probably wasn't a good solution in the first place.

That's the core of why anyone might have heartburn about the 5%. Why don't you actually address how to make high characteristics count - in saves - which is really the topic, instead of saying that since high values might impart other advantages that it's okay if they don't count for saves?

?

Respectfully.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2015 at 12:27pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #29 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
James, you see many things differently than I do, and I have mentioned that in my posts. I was hoping this whole spat between us was over with, as I have stated many times that I have no desire to go down that path with you.

You wrote an excellent document on this topic:

LINK: http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/image/TSoNTStitle72.jpg
Correct link http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/securefiles/TasksAndSaves.pdf (my apologies)

I have repeatedly recommend that readers go to that document and read it, and even included a link to the document in my own document. I have not stated that your method is wrong. I have not stated that anyone's method is wrong. I have only stated, this is how I do it - and have included a disclaimer to that point in each of these articles. I have even stated that the automatic 5% failure issue is a valid one, and people should discuss it and find there own solutions.

I do not know what else I can do to appease you, James.

I don't understand your need to belittle me (a fellow contributor to V&V) on this forum, or why you get so upset when I have an opinion differing from yours.

I'm sorry, Dude... I don't know what else I can do to keep you from always coming after me like this...

Please tell me what I need to do to get you to leave me alone?

Edited:
To correct link
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2015 at 1:05pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #30 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I think there's an easy solution to the 'problem', even though it's not one I've incorporated (yet) in my game.

I think it was Imaginos who first posted it (at least that I remember).  You make a d20 save against the relevant Basic Characteristic, but then a roll of a 20 isn't an automatic failure.

If a character with a BC higher than 20 rolls a 20, they then roll a second d20 and add what they get on that roll to the first roll.

Example: Quickness Lad has an Agility of 37.  The GM tells him to save vs. Agility.  QL rolls a 20, and - since his A is higher than 20 - he then rolls a second die, getting a 16.  Since his total (20+16=36) is lower than his A of 37, he still succeeds!

This method is quick, easy, elegant, and gives a nice way to 'reward' those characters with high stats, while still preserving most of the original rules.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #31 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Sounds familiar. I think there were a few posts like that.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2015 at 7:55pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #32 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Nevermind - I'm not trying to belittle you. Sorry you take it that way. See, I don't think what I posted in the link is quite there yet either. But que sera sera.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #33 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Sure, man. No problem. Like it says under your avatar, you're one of the good guys.

Edited:
Added following:

To be fair I looked at what would happen to Ninjoid with only 30 AGL, and all other stats 10. His weight is 175 lbs (the FAA average human weight).

He's guaranteed 3 actions per turn, if he wants them. Has 60 power and 13 HP. Accuracy is +5, making all hand-to-hand attacks hit 50% of the time, and he has a +4 damage.

He still falls 1:20 times he rolls AGL saves. He's still pretty impressive (and unrealistic since he has one power and otherwise average stats), and would be a not-so-bad play.

I think I must play quite differently than AlabasterKnight since I don't have critical failures or successes, lethality or varying trap difficulty, and don't roll a whole lot of saves (but they are important when I do). I think that due to the relative rarity of these rolls, I treat them somewhat differently. I have found that for me, the 5% failure is kind of fun. Others may only see it as frustrating.

In the end, without intending to, I have followed the example posted by Majestic (sort of). When a character with 21+ Basic Characteristic fails, I give him a chance to save himself (a second d20 roll with a 95% chance of success).

Edited:
I remembered another post I made on this very subject, but in a different thread. And it uses characters with BC's of 10, 45, and 20 as the examples. It even has a couple of thoughts on the dreaded 5% rule.

LINK: http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=...
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2015 at 7:38am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #34 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
FWIW saves in my games are so rare as to be seen about as often as unicorns (except perhaps for saves as specified to resist the various Powers, as spelled out in the rules).

Oh, and I agree with you about actually liking the 5% chance of failure.  I like that there's a chance of failure, even for the truly super.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2015 at 9:57pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #35 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Well, it's Saturday again (the week really went by quickly!) so here is more weirdness.

Just to be clear - I'm not doing this as someone who freelances for FGU. This is all stuff about how I do things when I play a game of V&V with my fellow nerds. I don't normally put many of my "House Rules" into the stuff I write (I think I snuck in two maybe three small ones, but no one seems to have noticed). There is a huge difference between writing for Official V&V books, and just "thinking in text" with fellow fans. I have been wanting to do a space adventure, but it would be all my personal house rules, so I'm letting it sit for the time being.

So... having said that, here are my thoughts on "Mecha". I know, it's a Japanese word, but it's easier to type "Mecha" than it is to type "Super vehicles/armor/space ships/robots/and cyber-critters". The attached file is just how I create and use these in my personal campaigns. So read on.

Also, these are all just topics off the top of my head. I don't know what you guys want as far as subject matter, so if you have something lemme know. And feel free to post your own weirdness in here. This is not where I display my genius (or lack thereof) and everyone tells me how amazing I am. It's where we all get creative with the rules.

Edited:
Because my typing is dreadful.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2015 at 10:22am by Ironnerd »  

MECHA.pdf ( 37 KB | 6 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #36 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
The way I play or GM is giving the players the benefit of the doubt when the situation calls for it, and more so for role play opportunity. I don't use critical successes, hits, misses or failures. I'm a big proponent of impartiality, and in V&V that can be very difficult to achieve.

Lethality or difficulty is a side effect of experience level; I consider the cause and/or skill of the manufacturer of the circumstance. If a 15th level chemist makes a deadly poison gas to the best of his knowledge, his toxin is likely more lethal than a 2nd Level chemist. When presenting that to the players, they always have a chance to succeed or fail based on their score, but the scale is based on the real points they have accumulated in that score. If there is a modifier to the difficulty/lethality, it is applied prior to the calculation and I always do saves as percentages. As they level up, they might acquire more points in a given score.

At my table, it is nice that there are other results to gaining a higher score, like HPs, move, Power, etc., but those are separate from the issue, not acceptable advantages to overlook what the player has earned and added to their sheet to make a difference in the outcome. To be clear, it's not just saves, it's any non-power skill/feat/task/insert-what-you-call-it-here rolls.

Although I love RPGs, I acknowledge that dice are important, not the last word, but means to some ends. So I certainly take care to not make it a game of 'dice', but it is a game and significantly a game that uses and relies on die rolls. There are some common things that go with rules, mechanics, etc., that make sense. One is a single die roll for a single task and then role play the result.

FWIW, This isn't a dig on anybody, but something to clear up the perception of my view.

I have some water to drink, thank you for the well wishing.

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2015 at 2:13pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #37 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Well, good to know we have so much in common. We may call some things by different names, but we seem to be in agreement on a great many things.

Thank-you for the clarification, and get better soon.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2015 at 6:13pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #38 - May 21st, 2015 at 7:06am
Print Post  
I am back to contributing to FGU for the V&V line - although on a rather limited basis. I currently have one adventure out for art, and nothing else planned.

Since I am once again working for FGU, I will no longer be posting in 'House of Ideas', or reading posts in this area of the forum, except for THIS ONE. I figure I made the thing, I ought to be able to look at it...
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2015 at 8:50pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

>