Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Enslaver (provisional name) (Read 3256 times)
Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

The Enslaver (provisional name)
Nov 3rd, 2015 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
So after making a couple friends roll their sheets it was time to create an appropriate main villain (expecially because they rolled extremely powerful characters, so even though i still rolled randomly this NPC, it almost seems it was meant to be this way), and boy am i thrilled to start playing this bad guy.

Background: Born in Sydney, Australia: Robert Miller is a 39 years old ex-policeman that got demoted and quit the police forces, he worked for half a decade as a stuntman for a small independent movie production house. After the producers got arrested for fraudolent bankruptcy, Robert treaded in dangerous waters for some time, until he finally got a job as a private guard, that's how after some years, he ended up guarding a museum, in which were presented some new Mesopotamian archaeological findings.
During his night shift, Rob clearly heard a voice calling for him: after standing in front of the Ceremonial set of Tiamat, something inside him awakened, he's never been a saint, and that's why he got away from police, but when Tiamat showed him the power he could have grasped, nothing else mattered to him.
The only logical action was to steal the set and vanish.
After that he started to cope with the powers given by the Set, and in a couple of months, he already subjugated his little "private army", ending his deeds with killing a super-hero, and resurrecting him to be his puppet and winning ace.

Name: The Enslaver (Robert Miller)            LVL: 4

Stats:                                           Weight: 150p
STR - 14
END - 22                    HP: 3x(1,2+2,6+1,5+2,2)
AGI - 23                      Tot. HP = 23 (round-up)
INT - 26                                    Power Points: 75
CAR - 41                              Magic Items PP: 148

Attack Modifier: +4/+7 (Spear)
Basic HtH dmg: 1d6
Spear Damage: 2d6+4+lvl+8 (vs. Good)

Carrying Cap. = 371p           Mov. Rate: 45i/225ft

Reaction: -8(g) / +8(e)
Detection: 56%(objects) / 64%(danger)

Powers: After rolling his powers and seeing that everyone except one came (randomly) all from the Magic/Psionic items pool i decided to make them a themed set known as "Ceremonial Set of Tiamat", with a common Item Power Points pool

- Magic/Psionic Item: Astral Projection (23 miles x turn)
- Magic/Psionic Item: Heightened Senses (appliable to astral projection form): Sixth Sense (x2 detection percentages), Tracking Abilities
- Magic/Psionic Pwr: Height. Charisma B (+21)
- Magic/Psionic Item: Revivification* (explained below)
- Magic/Psionic Item: Willpower (Summons the Spear of Marduk, effects listed below)

Background Powers (Archaeological Origin B): I found this additional rule that confers bonus powers for, in half of the cases, an extra weakness and some background guidelines, which in this case really helped me identify the character, this particular kind of origin confers, at free choice, 1d3 powers from Magic/Psionic Items, Skills or Magic/Psionic powers

- Magic/Psionic Item: Death Touch
- Magic/Psionic Item: Teleportation
- Magic/Psionic Item: Heightened Atk (Spear)

Weaknesses: Diminished Senses - Pain (x2)
Since i rolled two times the same weakness i decided to select the same diminished sense, to make him completely immune to pain, and i decided to create a special rule that if he succeeds in a saving throw equal to his original Power Points actual pool (so Magic Items PP don't count, and if he used his natural PP you have to count how many PP he has left as the percentage of success) he can continue to fight after reaching 0 HP, debilitating injuries and menomations exercise double negative bonuses, since the character can't feel pain and tries to move his body recklessly as if he was perfectly sane.

Dark Revivification: Since i started creating this character as evil i couldn't let him a power so good, so i had to invent a variation that would suit the character.

Dark Revivification is under every mechanical aspect like the canon one, except that the resurrector has, if he wants, control over the resurrected's soul, he can switch at will whether or not the resurrected victim has to obey his orders or just live his ordinary life, bringing chaos and despair into their existence.
At the moment no remedy is known to break free from this curse, save throws on INTx2 minus The Enslaver's CHA/2 can be performed only to resist an order and not executing it.
Differently from mind control, the soul slaves aren't fatigued by obeying their master's orders, but they become so if they successfully resist his instructions.
Activating the "soul control" costs 5 PR from the Magic Items Power pool per victim controlled, and it requires an entire action to do so.

Not knowing how many servants he could have had, i decided to roll a d20 and let the fate decide.
Rolling an 8, i then proceeded to decide the strenght of his victims: 1-10 (commoner), 11-17 (trained human), 18-20 (metahuman)

Doing so, the Enslaver controls 6 trained humans, one commoner and one Meta-Human (all described in the next post)

Marduk's Spear: After the Mesopotamian gods became extinct, the only one that survived, ironically, was Tiamat, because killed and not forgotten.
In hell, Tiamat rebuilded her power and reconnected with some cultists that kept her alive, they found the weapon that killed her and offered it to her. Eventually the cult died but she was strong enough to continue existing in Hell, manipulating fate by microscopic percentages, until somebody would find her lost ceremonial set, crafted by evil followers during Mesopotamia's golden age, and granting the wielder the power of Marduk's spear, now hers.

This weapon is treated as a special weapon and ignores basic HtH damage and deals straight-2d6 dmg + The Enslaver's Charisma reaction modifier (+8) only against good characters.

It gives a normal spear accuracy modifier (+3).

This weapon has the power to absorb damage if the attack doesn't overcome The Enslaver's defense (counted as willpower), activating this defense costs 4 PR for every 10 points of damage.
Releasing the damage stored costs 1 PR, and the damage can remain stored for 2 turns max.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2015 at 2:39am by Razor_Fangs »  

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Re: The Enslaver (provisional name)
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I Know his stats seem a bit high, but i decided to give him the training bonuses without actually making him a lvl20 (or it would have been unbeatable for the party) to keep him stronger than a lvl 4, but without all the perks that come from such a huge level gap.

With that said, here's how i defined his servant's categories:

The Commoner: He, or in this case, she is used as a human shield, forcing the heroes to mind every blow they intend to deliver, her alignment is Good, and she's pretty scarred by this crazy experience.
Every commoner is lvl 1 and possesses a score of 10 in every stat except INT and CAR, which are rolled as per creation rule, they possess only one power from the Skills pool rolled randomly.
Her weakness is "Soul Slave", which means her soul is bound to The Enslaver, and she can't run away from him, she can't harm him in no physical way possible and must obey his orders if a save throw is failed.

The Trained Human: All trained humans start with all stats at 16 except CAR, which has to be rolled as per creation rule.
Every trained human starts at lvl 3 and possesses 3 skills rolled randomly.
Their alignments are: G/G/N/G/G/E
Weakness: "Soul Slave"

The Metahuman: Rolled as per normal creation rules.
Added to the normal weakness/es required for superhuman NPCs, "Soul Slave" is added as a bonus.
(His second weakness was Psychosis/Phobia, and i couldn't resist selecting Necrophobia, considering that he was killed by the Enslaver and revived i can assure you, this guy is scarred as hell)
Alignment: Neutral (inclined to good/law's side)

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
You really put a lot of work into this. Glad you took right to it. Tons of detail.

Just double check the Hit Points and Carrying. I think they are  a bit higher than you logged them at

Nice work!!
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2015 at 9:28pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Thanks a lot, i wanted to write the extended background, with those of a couple NPCs he controls too, but i would have been a clear "tl;dr" case Tongue

And actually Carrying Capacity was lower than it should be, i corrected it. HPs are fine instead.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Nice villain!  Cool

Razor_Fangs wrote on Nov 3rd, 2015 at 7:25pm:
After rolling his powers and seeing that everyone except one came (randomly) all from the Magic/Psionic items pool

Interesting.  So you randomly determine what table to roll on for each power?  That's an interesting approach, and one I've never seen done before (I figure you'd just end up with such a hodge-podge).

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Yep, i let people choose from which table they want to roll for, but if i don't have a precise idea in mind i roll EVERYHING randomly. Did it with my character too.

Since it's 5 tables i just use 1d10, every couple of numbers is a different table.
If powers come out too different from one another, i just delete the less appropriate and reroll 1 power, or change it from one table category to another (for example: Mr.X has all powers and psionic powers, then he rolls a device that gives him heightened intelligence B, since it's a passive power that doesn't consume charges, i treat this power as if i got it from powers or magic/psionics list)

I think it stimulates creativity and forces you to adapt the background to give a logical explanation for a power with a range of capabilities so wide.
Plus applying the interchange or reroll rule it always comes up ok, god doesn't play with dices, but this game ain't either. Fate always provides, and this character is the living proof of it Cool
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2015 at 5:58pm by Razor_Fangs »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I think it could work if you're flexible with allowing things to be swapped out.  What I do now is allow them to roll on any other chart of their choice, but give them an option between that table and the Skills chart.

When I've had kids before that have just taken one from here, one from there, and a third from yet a different table (from the first two), I would call it "sampling from the smorgasbord".  Grin

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Nov 6th, 2015 at 6:01pm:
Yeah, I think it could work if you're flexible with allowing things to be swapped out.  What I do now is allow them to roll on any other chart of their choice, but give them an option between that table and the Skills chart.

When I've had kids before that have just taken one from here, one from there, and a third from yet a different table (from the first two), I would call it "sampling from the smorgasbord".  Grin

If you have a prevalence of powers i find it stupid too to let magic/psionic items or powers, so in that case the result given is treated as if being rolled from the powers table or skills, or devices.

It depends pretty much from case to case, but a wider random choice forces the player to work on his character.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2015 at 8:10pm by Razor_Fangs »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Since it's 5 tables i just use 1d10, every couple of numbers is a different table.

Make it 1d12 and if they roll an 11 or a 12 they get to pick the table Smiley

Just to add a bit more fun to the process.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Nov 9th, 2015 at 12:28pm:
Quote:

Make it 1d12 and if they roll an 11 or a 12 they get to pick the table Smiley

Just to add a bit more fun to the process.

That's an interesting compromise between the two options

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Kind of keeping with the random theme, I've long thought it would be cool to go back to 1E V&V in making players roll randomly to find out what kind of template they use, or (alternately), they get to pick what basic archetype they roll from, but then everything is random from there (that latter option is how I would do it).

The only archetype I've built a random chart for in V&V is the 'Brick', but it would be pretty easy to make the Energy Projector, the Mystic, the Psionicist (we sort of have those already with Magic/Psionics and Magic/Psionic Items), the Skilled Hero (we have that with Skills), the Gadgeteer, the Armored Hero, etc., etc.

So each archetype would have its own table that players would roll on.

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Interesting, can i borrow your list if that's ok for you?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
My Brick chart?

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Yep the one with the super-hero templates.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2015 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
You bet.  The only one I've made is for Bricks.  I'll post it here when I get a chance (have to find it at home first).

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Counting on it *_____*

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I keep forgetting when I'm at home.  Need to dig that out later...

Sorry.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Here it finally is.  I put it under 'Rules' to make it easier to track down later.

IP Logged

>