John Romita Jr.    
  0 (0.0%)
John Byrne    
  4 (21.1%)
Other    
  7 (36.8%)

Total votes: 19
« Created by: polarboy on: Nov 16th, 2015 at 4:04pm »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Favorite Comic Book Illustrator (Read 9821 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Favorite Comic Book Illustrator
Nov 16th, 2015 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I listed some names that popped into mind, but please suggest anyone you like.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Favorite Comic Book Illustrator
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Its hard to pick one, so I didn't pick any.  I have a bunch of favorites for a bunch of different reasons.  So I will just make a few comments.

I love  Jack Kirby.  I am sure you all know that by now. He is like George Harrison.   George may not be the greatest guitarist of all rock and roll, but he is the standard that all other rock guitarists are compared.   
  Jack's anatomy may have been off, but he more than makes up for it with output, imagination, and energy.   When  Captain America punches a Nazi,  its a nuclear eruption! 
   Jack's character design is only outmatched by one other on this list.    And he was, as legend has it, the nicest guy.   Fans would knock on his door and he would sit them in his room and he would talk with them as he worked AND his wife would bring down lunch!    She said that they both loved it!

Steve Ditko is the misunderstood misanthrope of comics.  I HATED his 80's and 90's art work with a passion.   And it turned out so did he.  He drew bad on purpose as he still held a grudge against Marvel, but needed the money.   
   When I finally went and saw his 60's stuff, I was blown away.   His character design is the best.   Look at all of Spider Man's early villains.  Amazing!     His artwork rivaled Jack's as far as energy and imagination.      His Charlton stuff, which I have been hunting down, was fantastic.   
    Hell, I even admire his stance with his Objectivism. 

George Perez is the number one super hero artist.   Even more than Jack, his style is suited to costumed avengers more than anyone else.  I couldn't see him doing a dark, gritty detective noir, but  have him do a story about the Avengers kicking the snot out of space invaders, and you have a perfect marriage.

John Byrne is  the second best super hero artist.  But, he can do different genres.   He does seem to suffer or shine depending on the inker.

John Romita Jr sucks.

Neal Adams was one of the first revolutionary in comic art.  He brought back realism and darkness in a  kitschy world.   If not for him,  I Don't think the Batman movies would have been made.  Too bad his is a dick.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I really like John Byrne, but I'm not as fond of his later stuff.  My absolute favorite is probably Alan Davis, though I also really, really like Carlos Pacheco and Salvador Larroca as well.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Alan Davis is the bomb diggity.  Especially with Paul Neary.  The inkers don't get enough love. 

Also a fan of George Perez, especially when its a scene of 200 heroes/villains all slugging it out.  It's awesome. 

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
I think the solid ones like Neal Adams and the Romitas made stories more memorable and look good to this day. My own personal faves are outside of the normal list: Ron Wilson and Gene Colan.
Many people, especially John, knows I'm a big Thing fan, and I've always enjoyed the undercurrent of darkness and the fluidity of Gene Colan's art.

In my game world I have an NPC - Ron "Wicked" Wilson - who's an ex-boxer and owner of the Dynamite Gym where they host fan club meetings for Kid Dynamite, the local superhero.

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
John Romita Jr infuriates me. He drew some of my favorite Iron Man comics way back in the early to mid 100's. He had a clean, natural style that represented the human body very well.

Now he draws Minecraft minifig people. And honestly, they'd probably look better as 8 bit pixel monsters than as Romita art. What the hell happened to him?

He went from this: https://p.dreamwidth.org/abc20337d0df/-/pics.livejournal.com/retro_nouveau/pic/0...

To whatever the hell this is: http://40.media.tumblr.com/215fbd6db59b73bf471cb2df62ef89d6/tumblr_n2ym3uo8hW1r5...

HUH?
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2015 at 2:46pm by proditorcappela »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 2:40am
Print Post  
Bill Sienkiewicz artwork always makes me want to vomit. I rejected every series he was dumped on, but I'm so glad that his style is unique because I'm hoping no one copies it.

John Byrne is cool and started up in my home town, Calgary.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I like "pre-streaky" Bill Sienkiewicz's work on Moon Knight (but not enough to consider him a favorite)

IP Logged

dan2448
Teen Titan

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
For me personally, I'd probably pick "New Teen Titans"-era George Perez, Steve Rude generally, Nick Fury-era Jim Steranko, "Justice league" era Kevin Maguire, and Dave Stevens.

I know its heresy, but I never really "love loved" Steve Ditko or Jack Kirby's artwork per se, though I do really like their work and especially admire their respective artistic  individuality and unique-ness.  I suppose I feel the same way about Frank Miller's artwork.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I've never loved any of the three you mentioned either, Dan.  I appreciate their uniqueness and that they brought things to the industry, but don't like any of them enough that I'd buy a comic just to get their art.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
dan2448 wrote on Jan 5th, 2016 at 1:26pm:
...I never really "love loved" Steve Ditko or Jack Kirby's artwork per se...

Not liking Jack Kirby is the only reason people get banned from this list by John.

(I think that's a joke)

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Well, I did say that I liked his stuff.  I just don't love it.

[Majestic sheepishly backs away...]  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Put my vote in for George Perez - the work he did on Teen Titans goes in the Never To Be Forgotten category - although every person on the list is absolutely deserving of their own plaque and/or place on the pedestal.  For further consideration, I'd submit that Golden/Silver/Bronze/Iron/Modern Age categories should be specified, as I'd argue that what qualifies as killer "good" from one era does not naturally translate to others.

That stated, I'd also bring up Jim Lee (big surprise), for his volumes of work over the last thirty years, although I'd retain his nomination for the Iron/Modern Age terms.  Another never-to-be-dismissed individual is Michael Golden; his Avengers Annual #10 is something I'd hand over to comics' noobs just so they could get a taste of the gold (quality-wise, not era) before we start to move on to more specialized participants.

In any case, interesting concept, polarboy - be interesting to see the follow-up for this.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Jan 8th, 2016 at 3:39pm:
dan2448 wrote on Jan 5th, 2016 at 1:26pm:
...I never really "love loved" Steve Ditko or Jack Kirby's artwork per se...

Not liking Jack Kirby is the only reason people get banned from this list by John.

(I think that's a joke)

I don't ban you for that, I just realize that your opinions are worthless! Wink

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Steranko had some good stuff

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:04pm:
Another never-to-be-dismissed individual is Michael Golden; his Avengers Annual #10 is something I'd hand over to comics' noobs just so they could get a taste of the gold (quality-wise, not era) before we start to move on to more specialized participants.

That issue is one of the ones that occupies a special place in my heart, too. I realize that when I think of what goes on in a superhero battle, I often template it against this issue.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 6:21pm:
That issue is one of the ones that occupies a special place in my heart, too. I realize that when I think of what goes on in a superhero battle, I often template it against this issue.

I had the same experience, and have heard it from so many other people as well.

Comic Geek Speak recently featured it in a podcast of the best annuals of all time:

http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/episodes/comic_geek_speak-2217.php

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #17 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I really liked George Perez, but there are others not on the list that I liked even more. Jae Lee (some of his older stuff was just freaking cool), and a lot of the "guest artists" on the old New Mutants issues - seemed like every month there was a different artist.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Arthur Adams' stuff is always impressive to me, especially when the inker follows through on texture.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Alan Davis will always be king to me... But Byrne I think is iconic

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I'd argue - and I would agree that this is simply an opinion, nothing more - that John Byrne's "iconic" status is engendered as much by what he worked on as the work he did, along with how much upcoming artists (would-be and published alike) were attempting to imitate him.  Doing X-Men during its peak-of-the-charts run, supported by Chris Claremont's Bronze Age cutting edge stories, would have gained most halfway-decent artists some positive notoriety, I would think.  The creation of groups like Alpha Flight, participation in the "Dark Phoenix" storyline, "Days of Future Past"...those are tales that command respect in graphic storytelling no matter what era you're discussing.

Nonetheless, yeah, Mr. Byrne's work, for a very long time, stood as the popular pinnacle as to what superhero comics work could attain - the man's name was - and still is, really - recognizable by a significant segment of the population outside the comics' (fan and professional) demographic.  In modern (i.e., today) discussion, it'd be Jim Lee to a large extent as "iconic", while Barry Windsor Smith, for me, I think, holds the title on a cross-era basis.

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #21 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
for me in the 90's Mc Farlane's stuff was a slap in the face.
(a good one  Smiley)
first with Spiderman and then with Spawn

I liked Marc silvestri also
And of course John Byrne

IP Logged

marcus
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Jack Kirby hands down

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #23 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I voted "Other" because in the future artificial intelligence will adopt the style of any artist you install.

IP Logged

>