Normal Topic "Tackle The Totem" and "Terror By Night" (Read 1381 times)
dan2448
Teen Titan

"Tackle The Totem" and "Terror By Night"
Oct 29th, 2016 at 9:32am
Print Post  
I bought each of these two vintage V&V adventures from FGU a couple of months ago or so. 

I had wanted to buy "Tackle the Totem" as a kid but only saw it in a store once back 30+ years ago, and then it was gone forever.

I had the chance to read "Tackle The Totem" this morning, during the pre-dawn Saturday morning dark.  I loved it!  I had no idea that it had an 'Island of Dr. Moreau' angle, as well a sort of neo-Nazi evil organization at its heart. I loved the art by Don Heck, too.   This instantly vaulted to one of my top 5 (or so) favorite V&V adventures. I wish I would've had the chance to play this as a kid.

It would seem like the weekend before Halloween would be the ideal time to read over "Terror By Night" as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts about either or these vintage adventures, and./or interesting anecdotes from playing through them.  Since I'll never personally play either one, I'd really enjoy reading any such feedback.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: "Tackle The Totem" and "Terror By Night"
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Did you read Terror by Night yet? I have something I remember happening from that but I don't want to mention it unless you read it already.

IP Logged

dan2448
Teen Titan

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Oct 29th, 2016 at 11:16am:
Did you read Terror by Night yet? I have something I remember happening from that but I don't want to mention it unless you read it already.

Thank you.  I did get a chance to read "Terror By Night" today quickly.  I liked the core idea of a vampire and a traveling circus, and really liked the interior artwork by a young Pat Zircher.  But from the start I found myself wondering, "What's the point?" The author states explicitly in the Introduction that the vampire won't be captured/killed.  The text later also notes that the adventure does not contemplate the vampire turning the PCs into vampires, even temporarily.  And the whole thing seems to be the vampire manipulating/leading the PCs into a little 'dog and pony show' from a distance so he can learn more about super heroes in general, without any real malintent toward the PCs or anyone else. Maybe I missed something critical because I read it so quickly today, and thereby formed a mis-impression?
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2016 at 6:37pm by dan2448 »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
dan2448 wrote on Oct 29th, 2016 at 6:34pm:
And the whole thing seems to be the vampire manipulating/leading the PCs into a little 'dog and pony show' from a distance so he can learn more about super heroes in general, without any real malintent toward the PCs or anyone else. Maybe I missed something critical because I read it so quickly today, and thereby formed a mis-impression?

There's an opportunity for an important NPC in the game universe to turn into a vampire, and for other vampires to emerge after the adventure.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 9:59am
Print Post  
dan2448 wrote on Oct 29th, 2016 at 6:34pm:
THE ONI wrote on Oct 29th, 2016 at 11:16am:

Thank you.  I did get a chance to read "Terror By Night" today quickly.  I liked the core idea of a vampire and a traveling circus, and really liked the interior artwork by a young Pat Zircher.  But from the start I found myself wondering, "What's the point?" The author states explicitly in the Introduction that the vampire won't be captured/killed.  The text later also notes that the adventure does not contemplate the vampire turning the PCs into vampires, even temporarily.  And the whole thing seems to be the vampire manipulating/leading the PCs into a little 'dog and pony show' from a distance so he can learn more about super heroes in general, without any real malintent toward the PCs or anyone else. Maybe I missed something critical because I read it so quickly today, and thereby formed a mis-impression?

I never read the adventure but I did have a PC play in it. I do not honestly remember much about it but I do remember that we did have a PC turn in to a Vampire.

Wally Spec, The Dark Warrior lost his powers for a while and became a Vampire instead. Fighting Crime and living off Rat Blood for a while was interesting

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I love these journeys down 'memory lane' with these old adventure modules, Dan.

I ran each of these back when they came out, in the 80s, and then ran them again in the early 90s for my current campaign ("Terror by Night" for the Sentinels, then "TOTEM" for the Guardians).

I ran Terror by Night a third time a few years ago for my son's Vindicators group (an entirely different campaign).

And I've done a number of "sequels" to both in the Guardians campaign, with numerous adventures featuring vampires (using the methods provided) and new stories featuring TOTEM, too.  I never used Victor Von Heinrich again, and the Purple Mask was mostly behind the scenes  as an adversary (see below).

I'll post thought on each of the adventures in a separate post for each.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2016 at 4:49pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
First up, "Terror by Night".  I remember picking this one up off the spinner rack at a new game store I'd discovered in Seattle, back in the mid 80s.  I'm pretty sure I ran it for my Sentinels campaign, but I don't have all of my records from that time, and I don't recall any details.

The second time I ran it was for Justice Force, the initial group in my long-running Guardians campaign.  They were headquartered in Miami, so I brought the circus to Florida, and used an NPC (a romantic interest of one of the PCs) as the foil.  One small change I made to the adventure was to replace the creepy Tim Vanesk with the character Batwing (who looked just like him).  Batwing was a really weak PC that I occasionally played.

#19 – The Big Show – Vampire Victor Von Heinrich, using the alias of Thomas Prest, brings his circus to Miami to win the heart of television reporter Jessica Tory, as well as to study and test the local superhero team, Justice Force.  Mirage, Sinder, Scorpio, Panther, Tempest, and Spectre attend the show and enjoy a variety of entertainment.  Along with the routine clowns, acrobats, and exotic animals, they observe a number of unusual performers: voodoo master 'Zuvembie Lord', strongman Albert, and albino Batwing with an act of flying bats; Prest himself serves as the charismatic ringleader for the main event.  That night, Tory awakens to an unidentified dark-clad intruder in her home who knocks an intervening policeman into a coma.  The heroes investigate and find a ticket to the circus and bat hairs.  The following day the circus proceeds normally, but in the evening a movie shoot at a nearby cemetery is thrown into chaos when real zombies begin emerging from the earth and attacking extras made up as the undead!  The group is called in and swiftly stops the paranormal threat, but the obvious suspect ('Zuvembie Lord' Billy Jimson) confesses to being a fraud and has a solid alibi.  Prest is unavailable for questioning, sleeping in a coffin inside a funhouse complex beneath the circus grounds.

#20 – Terror by Night – After the third and final night of the circus, Prest meets with Tory and takes her to dinner.  Much later, at her home afterwards, she screams and faints.  Prest/Heinrich materializes from a mist on her front lawn and challenges the vigilantes.  Justice Force confronts the villain and skirmishes with him briefly.  Heinrich then turns into a mist, defies them mockingly, and flies away as a bat.  They follow him to the entrance for the Hall of Mirrors on the circus grounds, where he disappears inside.  The vampire exits via a secret hatchway, and the entering heroes are magically transported through enchanted mirrors to the mastermind's funhouse deep underground.  The adventurers journey through traps, puzzles, and mazes, and battle robotic versions of a Minotaur, gargoyles, and Heinrich himself.  Near the end they are separated into individual rooms with holographic environments and robot monsters.  Mirage squares off with the Creature from the Black Lagoon in a watery marsh; Tempest confronts Frankenstein's monster in a mad scientist's laboratory; Panther engages a werewolf on foggy moors; Sinder is attacked by a beautiful female vampire in a coffin-filled crypt; Scorpio tackles a clay golem in a dank cavern; Spectre battles Zuvembie Lord and actual zombies in a jungle clearing.  After defeating their adversaries, the team confronts Baron Heinrich again in a large chamber.  As their host turns into a mist, the group is engulfed by a cube-shaped room.  It deposits them on the surface where the circus is being taken down.  Batwing chooses to abandon his act and adventure alongside the others.  Epilogue: One week later Tory receives a letter in the mail from Heinrich.

Later on, on numerous occasions, I (and, later, another GM) did a few ongoing storyarcs with vampires, using the statistics and rules provided in this module to create them.

Then I ran it again, just a few years ago, for my son's Vindicators campaign.  The circus came to his alternate version of San Francisco in that one; IIRC they made their way through the "monsters" without too much trouble, and I think the main vampire eluded capture (as usual).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
As before, I think I ran "To Tackle the T.O.T.E.M." back in the 80s, but I don't have any notes from that time.

In the early 90s, I ran it for the Guardians, and it was one of the rare circumstances where they good guys were completely defeated.  Strapping the PCs to missiles for a cliffhanger ending was a real highlight for me!

#6 - at the end of this issue:

A man in a suit, his face cloaked in shadows, dons a purple mask.

#7 - The Big Parade - The Guardians establish a headquarters in the Organizer's former hideout on Staten Island.  Dr. Desist is chosen as the group's leader and Entropy is made security chief.  Entropy, Crocodile, and Zap travel to Tucson to celebrate the opening of the Hall of Modern Heroes in the Cogan Museum.  Following the disruption of Congressman Phillip Maxwell's speech by a large group of unruly Brown Shirts, a diversionary explosion marks the entrance of Jotunn, Mariah, and Karnage.  As the heroes, aided by Spectre and Gigantor, quickly disarm the terrorists, other villains enter the museum and steal a dimensional transporter.  One of them, Tomahawk, finds himself mysteriously drawn to his namesake weapon in an exhibit, which floods him with power and frees him of T.O.T.E.M.'s brainwashing.

#8 - To Tackle the T.O.T.E.M. - Guided by Tomahawk's information, Crocodile, Zap, Spectre, and Freeze assault the T.O.T.E.M. base in nearby Silver Wolf Mountain.  They clash with Gila, Bear Claw, Chillblade, Faultline, and their leader, the Purple Mask, and are soundly defeated.  After being heavily sedated, the heroes are extensively scanned and studied, and T.O.T.E.M. scientists extract cell samples to create clones.  The adventurers awake to find themselves strapped to missiles beginning to launch!

#9 - Directions - As he escapes, Zap disrupts his missile enough to cause it to land short of its target in China.  It still causes a massive explosion many miles from Beijing.  China is guarded about the effects but reports light casualties.  Crocodile’s missile strangely disappears.

I used the disappearance of my PC (Crocodile)'s missile to have the hero replaced by a T.O.T.E.M. doppleganger, which I sprang on the group later on, along with more T.O.T.E.M. evil duplicates!:

#20 - in the middle of another adventure ("Search for the Sensei") I had an interlude:

Crocodile informs the Guardians that he has discovered a T.O.T.E.M. base nearby.  Dr. Desist, Entropy, Quaisar, Spectre, and Panther investigate to find a small building with only one person inside, the villain Purple Mask!

#21 - The Shocking Truth - Entropy, Dr. Desist, Quiasar, and Panther are ambushed by Crocodile, Zap and Spectre, who they discover are evil clones!  During the battle with the doppelgangers, they destroy Crocodile and Spectre and the Zap clone is captured.  The mastermind behind it all, the T.O.T.E.M. leader Purple Mask, is revealed to be Arizona Congressman Phillip Maxwell.

At the end of issue #47 - Congressman Phillip Maxwell (Purple Mask) goes to trial on charges of coercion and is acquitted.

And decades later, in issue #283, my friend Eric (in charge of the villainous T.O.T.E.M.) had the following happen:

They set up ahead of time in hopes of busting the meeting, but are surprised by a projection of the new head of T.O.T.E.M., Adalwolf, who expresses his displeasure with the current leadership.  A gas is released and the heroes flee; inside Jotunn, Carlos Franco, Mariah, and the Purple Mask are instantly killed by the toxic vapor.

IP Logged

dan2448
Teen Titan

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Fantastic summaries of prior game action, Doug!  I really enjoyed reading how these published adventures 'played' in reality.

Reading the "Terror By Night" game summary caused me to reflect that, to be fair, my somewhat harsh assessment of the adventure after merely reading it over once should've been tempered by an added note that, as a kid in the 1980s, I doubtlessly would've gotten good use out of it as a 'monster manual' of V&V stats (with Zircher illustrations) for the Universal Monsters (maybe omitting only the Mummy among the most famous).

I also really enjoyed the cynicism of the note about the Congressman/Purple Mask being acquitted, in the end.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
dan2448 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2016 at 6:53am:
Fantastic summaries of prior game action, Doug!  I really enjoyed reading how these published adventures 'played' in reality.

Reading the "Terror By Night" game summary caused me to reflect that, to be fair, my somewhat harsh assessment of the adventure after merely reading it over once should've been tempered by an added note that, as a kid in the 1980s, I doubtlessly would've gotten good use out of it as a 'monster manual' of V&V stats (with Zircher illustrations) for the Universal Monsters (maybe omitting only the Mummy among the most famous).

I also really enjoyed the cynicism of the note about the Congressman/Purple Mask being acquitted, in the end.

Sands of Time includes a Mummy, in case you'd like to use one in your game.  Cool

IP Logged

>