Normal Topic Invisibility and Technology (Read 781 times)
Klystron
Ex Member

Invisibility and Technology
Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Ok, if there is a relayed topic, my feeble search skills failed to uncover it.

I am resurrecting a deceased character in my game because, as we all know, death is a temporary setback, and am adjusting his power slate to add to the game.

How do you all  handle invisibility when it contacts technology?  Will an invisible character still set off motion detectors?  How about laser grids and other EM or RF devices?

I tend to think yes and no, respectively but would like some input before I make my final decisions.

BTW, this is a PC who was killed off to advance the plot line when he had to back out of the game due to work.  He is coming back, so he will not know how death and resurrection has affected his character until he discovers it on his own.

Thanks for any help you can give.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Invisibility and Technology
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Usually motion detectors would detect the invisible (if they use microwaves or infrared); I'm not sure on laser grids and other devices that work on the principle of light, as I imagine that invisibility is bending the light around someone.

My highest V&V character has Invisibility, and he was getting spotted so often that he invented a costume that also makes him immune to IR and UV light.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Majestic.

That's pretty much what I had figured. I was unsure about the interpretation of how invisibility actually works.  Bending light around the body might cause lasers to wobble but transparency would allow the light to pass right through.

An invisibility screen like the Predator would definitely trip light beams.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
I've got a character, who'll be appearing soon, who's invisible to machines, due to his "stealth suit".

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

>