Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Comic Conversions (Read 37122 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Comic Conversions
Reply #35 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 9:09am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 6:10pm:
I think its good, but there is something people forget about Nightcrawler.  When he teleports other, they seem to become fatigued.    How would you work this?

Hmmm....I'd forgotten about that. I'll see what I can come up with.

Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 10:18pm:
I'd have given a higher agility, but that's just me.

I may bump it just a tad, as Jeff Dee gave Robin (Dick Greyson), a pretty high Agility, but he was a trained acrobat.

Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 10:18pm:
I remember way back in the early issues, they said he could only teleport a mile or two. And they made a lot of hay out of him being afraid to teleport blind, for fear of materializing in a solid wall.

I'll have to go back and look, or see if I can find my hand Handbook to the Marvel Universe, with his listing.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:12am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #36 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Ok, I added a little more info to Nightcrawler's write-up to simulate the effects of his teleport (and I "borrowed" heavily from superfriend's ideas).  Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #37 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
OK, after digging around, I'm reducing the distance that Nightcrawler can teleport, and adjusting his PR requirement.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #38 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I'll probably be posting my take on Angel, next.

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #39 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Well, where's Warren Worthington III?
Wink

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #40 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I'm gettin there, I'm gettin there. Be on the look out for him this week. And I've also got the urge to take a crack at the New Mutants while I'm at it.

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #41 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 1:46pm
Print Post  

Mr. Fantastic circa John Byrne's 1980's run

Level: 20

Powers:

1. Heightened Intelligence B: +25

2. Stretching Powers: As per the 2nd edition rules, and Reed can increase his chance to hit: Every +1 to hit incurs a -1 to damage. Up to +4/-4. This simulates his ability to stretch his hands larger.

3. Insulated Costume: Reed's uniform gives Life Support defense against flame, ice, electrical and other weather-related attacks. It's also made of unstable molecules.

Weight: 180 lbs.
Basic Hits: 4

Strength: 14
Endurance: 18
Agility: 15
Intelligence: 40
Charisma: 20

Hit Mod. (1.2)(2.2)(1.6)(2) = 8.448
Hit Points: 34
Power Points: 87

Accuracy: +2, special
Damage Mod.: +6

Detect Hidden: 48% (My house rule adds your level to detect rolls)
Detect Danger: 52% (My house rule adds your level to detect rolls)

Carry Cap: 410 lbs
Basic HTH Damage: d6

Inventions: The Fantasticar, the Baxter Building, the Pogoplane, the door to the Negative Zone, Unstable Molecules, et. al.

Notes:
An admittedly minimalist approach. I think much of what Reed does is handled with the 80 Inventing Points he's accrued over the years.

Endurance was based on Reed's ability to take damage, and also that he's had 20 years of V&V trainings. Like the 1980's Avengers sheets, this translates into maxed out stats.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2009 at 1:51pm by Doctor Foom »  

reed3.jpg ( 62 KB | 3 Downloads )
reed3.jpg
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #42 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
You've got him pretty close to the way I'd stat him, but I'd also give him some limited form of shape change, say something like Body Power: Elasticity, that would cover his ability to form into a ball or a parachute, enlarge various parts of his body. It's also grant him some limited invulnerability (say 10-12 points, as I've seen him take blows from the Thing) to kinetic energy based attacks. Either way, nice job.  Cool
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2009 at 2:23pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #43 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
The Thing circa John Byrne's 1980's run

Level: 20

Powers:

1. Transformation: Permanent*
a. Armor A: 130 points. Weight increase. Armor heals at 5 times Ben's healing rate (65 points) overnight. Monstrous appearance.

b. Heightened Strength B: +30

c. Heightened Endurance B: +18

d. Natural Weaponry: +2, +4 with fists

W: Low Self Control: Ben cannot control his Transformation and is (usually) trapped as the Thing. GM's discretion as to what could reverse the Transformation.

W: Phobia/Psychosis: Ben hates his appearance and would give almost anything to return to normal.

Weight: 640 lbs.
Basic Hits: 13

Strength: 46
Endurance: 33
Agility: 12
Intelligence: 12
Charisma: 18

Hit Mod. (3.4)(4.2)(1.3)(1.1) = 20.4204
Hit Points: 265
Power Points: 103

Accuracy: +1, +3 with fists
Damage Mod.: +1, +5 with fists

Detect Hidden: 30% (My house rule adds your level to detect rolls)
Detect Danger: 34% (My house rule adds your level to detect rolls)

Carry Cap: 32,203 lbs
Basic HTH Damage: 4d10

Notes:
*mostly.

FYI, I know his weight flies in the face of the Marvel Universe books, but Ben's got lots of armor and his human form weighs 200 lbs. at least.

Finally: Thanks, SuperFriend for the Transformation approach!

EDIT: Cleaned up the math. Don't know how I screwed that up! Thanks, SF.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 10:51am by Doctor Foom »  

grimm.jpg ( 42 KB | 2 Downloads )
grimm.jpg
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 28th, 2009 at 2:23pm:
You've got him pretty close to the way I'd stat him, but I'd also give him some limited form of shape change, say something like Body Power: Elasticity, that would cover his ability to form into a ball or a parachute, enlarge various parts of his body. It's also grant him some limited invulnerability (say 10-12 points, as I've seen him take blows from the Thing) to kinetic energy based attacks. Either way, nice job.  Cool

Thanks, DS!
I thought Stretching Powers already let you form "an unlimited number of shapes." The rules also say the PC should have fun experimenting. I always give those simple forms with the power.

Re: the Thing's punches: Reed's got Stretching Powers defense, which would help him against hth, plus the endurance, hitpoints and powerpoints to take a hit or two.

But I did consider the cool Invulnerability rules from Shapeshifter of the Destroyers for hth attacks. I just don't think Reed is bullet-proof.
Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2009 at 3:38pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #45 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
So Thing wuz only liftin' 16 tons during Byrne's run? Did he get weaker?

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #46 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
It'll never be the Marvel Universe books (80+ tons?).
They don't translate into V&V.
If Wondy and Thor are doing 5d10, then Ben's doing 4d10.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #47 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
PS: I remember around FF #250, with Gladiator and Spider-Man, that Ben picks up a bus. 16 tons could cover that. I can't recall any comic stories showing him lifting much more than that. Just that pesky Marvel Universe book!
Wink

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #48 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I'm cool w'dat. One o'da first V&V modules does have a guy who can lift 100 tons--Behometh of the deadly Destroyers. Dude can do 6d10 damage. Owwch-erama!

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #49 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
As an aside, Marvel was kinda vague about strength -- just like DC -- for many o' its heavy-hitters for a long while. One of my Byrne-Claremont issues of the X-Men has Colossus liftin' a weight that says 30 tons, but much of da time we really can't measure exactly what their limits are. I don't know dat the writers always knew.

I have to feel bad fer the Thing, though, bein' so weak!I mean, Alicia Masters has got to be able to lift at least 2 er 3 tons on a bad day!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #50 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Agreed. I had Hulk pegged at 6d10.
And Alicia at 7d10.
Grin

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #51 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Don't forget about Alicia's 45 points of invulnerability. I mean, she's dating a rock guy!

BTW: It'd be fun to see Johnny's girlfriend Frankie before she went Galactic!

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #52 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 28th, 2009 at 2:41pm:
Weight: 640 lbs.Basic Hits: 12

Should dat be 13 basic hits?

Plus ... I like to do the math, and w/the stats you list Thing's really liftin' 28,315 lbs. and doin' 3d10 damage. Yowza!

Unless ... do ya have house rules for calculatin' carryin' cap. that iz diff'rent from the revised rules? If so, what be they--what be they?

Da way I do da math, you gots to give a 46 Strength to even get into the 4d10 range. And that gives the ever=luvin'=blue-eyed Thing more hit points to boot.  He deserves it!
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 12:07am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #53 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 12:12am
Print Post  
The Thing W: Phobia/Psychosis: Ben hates his appearance and would give almost anything to return to normal.

At one point, did Byrne have Reed come up w/the idea that Ben actually could transform back--he just subconsciously didn't want to for really disturbing psychological reasons. It was a very retcon approach to the character--if I'm rememberin' it correctly.

The best Thing I like about John Byrne post X-Men wuz dat he make Lockjaw speak (that was fantastic!) and he got rid of Scarlet Witch's dopey kids. Poof!
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 2:05am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #54 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 10:40am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Jul 28th, 2009 at 11:59pm:
Weight: 640 lbs.Basic Hits: 12

Should dat be 13 basic hits?

Plus ... I like to do the math, and w/the stats you list Thing's really liftin' 28,315 lbs. and doin' 3d10 damage. Yowza!

Unless ... do ya have house rules for calculatin' carryin' cap. that iz diff'rent from the revised rules? If so, what be they--what be they?

Da way I do da math, you gots to give a 46 Strength to even get into the 4d10 range. And that gives the ever=luvin'=blue-eyed Thing more hit points to boot.  He deserves it!

You're right! I botched the numbers!
Will fix'em on the sheet now if I can.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009 at 10:49am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #55 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I can't wait to see Sue Storm! Ben's Marvel Two-in-One appearances more than make up for his leaves of absense from the FF in terms of experience. But Sue spent a long haul gettin' replaced by a couple o'Inhuman cousins (Medusa and Crystal). That's just got to put her at a lower level.

And I can't wait to see how her judo skills translate. She used them a lot back in her bare bones days before Stan Lee sold the grrl out w/force fields that made about as much sense as Johnny Storm's full-color flame illusions.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #56 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:14pm:
I can't wait to see Sue Storm! Ben's Marvel Two-in-One appearances more than make up for his leaves of absense from the FF in terms of experience. But Sue spent a long haul gettin' replaced by a couple o'Inhuman cousins (Medusa and Crystal). That's just got to put her at a lower level.

And I can't wait to see how her judo skills translate. She used them a lot back in her bare bones days before Stan Lee sold the grrl out w/force fields that made about as much sense as Johnny Storm's full-color flame illusions. 

And in later  years Sue trained under Iron Fist!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #57 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Seriously? She trained under Iron Fist? I did not know that. This is off topic, but I never felt any chemistry between Sue and Reed. She may hav been attracted to his sturdy-Kirby jawline, his firm set of values, and his intellectual aspirations--but I don't think Sue really gets Reed on a fundamental level. And the guy's really not that hard to read. Reed might have been initially attracted to her congeniality and catalog-model prettiness, and maybe he was looking for a woman who would be supportive but who really woldn't get in the way. But they don't have a deeper soulful connection; why else would she be half-attracted to the passionately volative Sub-Mariner? Subby would not make a good mate, but he represents the emotional three-dimensionality that she lacks with Reed. And I don't think Reed truly gets Sue either; not because she's less intelligent, but in a way because she hold herself back around him. The irony is that Reed is a very deep person--intellectually and ethically. But because Sue and Reed really don't understand one another--their personalities don't overlap enough--neither of them really seem to experience a rich relationship together.

Yellowjacket and Wasp had disfunctional passion; Vision and Scarlet Wtich had the pretense of passion; but Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman have sublimated passion. They both want it to be there, but aren't a close enough match to really experience it together.

Maybe she would have been happier with Danny. At his best, he had the social nicieties that would make Sue feel at home, and the moral/emotional depth that she sees in Reed/Namor. Then she might have finally felt like herself rather than like someone going through the motions of being in a happy relationship.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2009 at 9:50am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #58 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
That's pretty deep. All I can say is the Reed has stretching powers. Think about it.......

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #59 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Aug 1st, 2009 at 12:27pm:
That's pretty deep. All I can say is the Reed has stretching powers. Think about it.......

I have thought about it. (We all have.) But all that really says is that he'd probably try meetin' his husbandly duties while he's at work in the other room (kinda like John from the Watchmen). Not very romantic. I really feel bad for Sue now!

It don't take stretchin' powers to satisfay someone. Without gettin' X-rated, I'm sure Matt Murdock does just fine.

All in all, I think Cyclops and Jean Grey had good chemistry together circa 1970s.

I also think that Dasszler and Warren Worthington would have worked as a couple if they'd stayed together. (Her fling w/Beast was more about her coming to terms w/her mutant origin and him moving into a leadership role w/in the mutant community).
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2009 at 12:43pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #60 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I bow to your comic book relationship wisdom. Your insight is impressive.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2009 at 9:23pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #61 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Aug 1st, 2009 at 8:37pm:
I bow to your comic book relationship wisdom. Your insight is impressive.

In another life I was a marriage counselor to super-types. A recurring them among Marvel women is that they fall for emotionally unavailable men ... or they talk themselves into see potential in men who really don't have that potential.

Wasp married Hank Pym only after he lost his mind and became volatile Yellowjacket. That excited her. Then he settled down and became the same studiously self-conscious man she'd known all along. Friction that contributed to their ongoing strife.

After her estranged childhood, and the overpowering influence of evil Magneto, Scarlet Witch longed for a conventional homelife ... and settled for a man who half the time claimed he didn't even have emotions. She was so terrified by strong/unstable emotional crisis that she settled for Vision's coldness.

Havok and Polaris made a good match back in the day. Too good a match for comics, which is why Marvel had to make Polaris go bad. That's what Marvel always does w/its intelligent and strong women: makes them go crazy or lose their powers. Blah, blah, blah. It's sad, really.

And don't me get started on Hellcat. I mean, how exactly was marrying the self-described Son of Satan a good idea? ????

Over at DC, Ollie and Black Canary may have a chance at a happy marriage. Marvel Comics was founded under the sexist shadow of Stan and Jack (no offense intended). DC's women have always been about a decade ahead of Marvel when it comes to equal rights.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2009 at 9:44pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #62 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:45pm:
And in lateryears Sue trained under Iron Fist! 

Didn't know this either.
"Later years", as in after Byrne's run?
Thanks.

Will get the siblings Storm posted Monday or Tuesday. Been jammed.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #63 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 2nd, 2009 at 4:05pm:
John wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:45pm:
And in lateryears Sue trained under Iron Fist! 

Didn't know this either.
"Later years", as in after Byrne's run?
Thanks.

Will get the siblings Storm posted Monday or Tuesday. Been jammed.

I think it was during the nearly unreadlbe Clairmont run.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #64 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
IIRC, it was during he Byrne run, that she trained with him. I remember reading the issues.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #65 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 2nd, 2009 at 8:59pm:
IIRC, it was during he Byrne run, that she trained with him. I remember reading the issues. 

Then I guess Clairmont revisited the idea, cause it was during that story with the Dreaming Celestial and the alternate FF from a possible future.  Which is a topic Clairmont has been recycling for decades.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #66 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
The Invisible Woman circa John Byrne's 1980's run

Level: 18

Powers:

1. Force Fields: as per 2nd edition rules, except when calculating carrying capacity for pummeling attack, use Int x Level x 50 lbs. At this level, Sue does 3d10 with her force fields. As her force fields are invisible, many opponents can't roll with the damage inflicted.

2. Invisibility: as per 2nd edition rules, and Sue can make other things invisible as well! Rendering other objects invisible costs an action and 2 PP per object or person. Range equals Endurance. The maximum area that may be rendered invisible is a sphere with a radius in inches of Current Power/4.

3. Insulated Costume: Sue's uniform gives Life Support defense against flame, ice, electrical and other weather-related attacks. It's also made of unstable molecules.

4: Natural Weaponry: Judo: +1 to hit, +2 to damage.

Weight: 130 lbs.
Basic Hits: 3

Strength: 12
Endurance: 18
Agility: 16
Intelligence: 18
Charisma: 21

Hit Mod. (1.2)(2.2)(1.6)(1.3) = 5.4912
Hit Points: 17
Power Points: 64

Accuracy: +2, +3 hth, plus bonuses from Invisibility
Damage Mod.: +2, +4 hth

Detect Hidden: 32% (My house rule adds your level to detect rolls)
Detect Danger: 36% (My house rule adds your level to detect rolls)

Carry Cap: 230 lbs
Basic HTH Damage: d4

Notes:
By the time Byrne was done, Sue was being considered the toughest FF member; a long journey from her humble beginnings.

Sue did miss many adventures when she became a mother, placing her tens of thousands of experience points behind her teammates. But due to the exponential approach to V&V levels, this amounts to only 2 levels of difference at the extreme end the FF inhabit, IMHO.

EDIT: Recooked the equation for forcefield attack damage to echo the Magnetic Powers and Telekinesis rules. Serendipitously, the Level factor accurately reflects how she's gone from the weakest member to one of the strongest.
Thanks SF!
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2009 at 6:39pm by Doctor Foom »  

sue4.jpg ( 166 KB | 1 Download )
sue4.jpg
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #67 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Kool. (And I wazn't even expectin' the judo to be listed; I always thought everyone forgot about that.)

Back to the write-up: So how much damage do her Force Field attacks actually do? In 2nd ed. rules they match carryin' capacity based HTH damage. So if yer using Charisma for Strength does that mean her Force Field damage matches what carrying capacity would be w/ 21 Strength:

(2.1 x 2.1 x 2.1 + 1.8) times half her weight = 719 lbs. (1-8 damage).

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #68 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 1:58pm:
(2.1 x 2.1 x 2.1 + 1.8) times half her weight = 719 lbs. (1-8 damage). 

Seems low, even with the 'can't roll with it' bit.

Maybe I should use Telekinesis rules, with the Level being a factor. Makes sense with her journey from zero to hero.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #69 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Also, I had forgotten the judo! Thanks for the heads up!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Topic Tools

>