Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Will Stat? (Read 7937 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Will Stat?
Reply #35 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
They stated that Charisma, was basically a combination of things, to include your strength of conviction and self confidence (which would cover your will), but I'd still would have preferred it will to be separate stat.  Wink

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #36 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
One more thing, before I go. Given how consistently the game uses Charisma as Will, it would have been nice, really nice, if that was directly mentioned in the rules. Not something we have to piece together to fully infer. The rules, I have 'em on hand, mention:  a personal "aura" (to win friend and influence people) plus the degree to which they behave according to the Side they are on (Good or Evil). Later on, Charisma expands to include the character's public image.

That sounds like a standard definition of Charisma to me, but not a definition of Will. And don't try tellin' me that it is.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:57pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #37 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:45pm:
They stated that Charisma, was basically a combination of things, to include your strength of conviction and self confidence (which would cover your will), but I'd still would have preferred it will to be separate stat.  Wink

Even though Superfriend made a good point,  I am with DSumner on this one.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #38 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Superfriend, with all caveats duly noted. Wink
Have you seen the thread on superhero cartoons (assuming you like the Superfriends) called 'Kick Ass Toons?'
It's in the Hero Talk forum.

DSumner, would love to see that house rule. Thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2009 at 11:15pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #39 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 11:14pm:
Thanks, Superfriend, with all caveats duly noted. Wink
Have you seen the thread on superhero cartoons (assuming you like the Superfriends)?
I think it's in the Hero Talk forum.

DSumner, would love to see that house rule.

I grew up on the Superfriends. So when I saw the Hall of Justice at the top of this site, I had to join! Plus, the Earth 2 Justice Society rules!
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2009 at 1:08am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #40 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Here's a question I'd like to put on the floor.

Seein' how it is clear that Charisma in a by-the-book game of V&V also includes a mental resistance that most other games do not treat as part of charisma (and that don't match no dictionary definition of the term), what might have been a better term for the ability that includes both sets of traits?

In Living Legends, Jeff Dee introduces the term Cool instead of Charisma. But yo, I'm not a big fan of Arthur Fonzerelli. Any other ideas on what might have worked?

And don't simply respond to the question by sayin' that you're okay with the term Charisma. I'm not tellin' no one to change the name. That's not the question on the table, my friends. So again: What would have been a term that would have avoided the "charisma" confusion at the start?

That fact that it's confusing is a given. Or else we wouldn't have had to have this discussion today!
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2009 at 6:03am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #41 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 9:44am
Print Post  
I think you could rename the Charisma stat 'Will,' for the reasons outlined in my the post of this thread.

We'll talk Superfriends over in 'Kick Ass Toons.'

IP Logged

Chimaera
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 10:34am
Print Post  
It still seems to me that while the V&V rules as written clearly lump the concepts of Will and Charisma together as Charisma, there are enough reasons to treat them as distinct things that can (and often do) vary independently.  I think that having a high degree of internal mental/social/spiritual fortitude equates with having a high degree of external mental/social/spiritual effect.  I think that it is certainly possible to rationalize a number of characters for which these things differ in the existing set of rules, I think that the game is better served and character concepts better articulated by keeping them distinct.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #43 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It still seems to me that while the V&V rules as written clearly lump the concepts of Will and Charisma together as Charisma, there are enough reasons to treat them as distinct things that can (and often do) vary independently.  I think that having a high degree of internal mental/social/spiritual fortitude equates with having a high degree of external mental/social/spiritual effect.  I think that it is certainly possible to rationalize a number of characters for which these things differ in the existing set of rules, I think that the game is better served and character concepts better articulated by keeping them distinct.

Thank you, my brother (and for your earlier assessment about Modok and many of my favorite DC heroes). Changin' the name to Will solves half of the problem (w/all due respect to Foom, M.D.). It still leaves us hangin' since Will ain't the same as personal magnetism or reputation.

If I ever play again, here’s what I might do: Keep the game basically as is, but split Charisma down in two.

This will not require major reworking. It will make it easier to play. The reaction rolls would go w/Charisma. In other words, that part would stay.

But all of the defenses and power adjustments that Charisma now does, that the good doctor so clearly spelled out, would get w/Will.

Neither ability would adjust hit points or power points, so I could still use all of my favorite modules.

This would not be complicated at all. This has been a most satisfying experience!

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:19pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #44 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I don't like the will stat for one reason, roleplay.   suppose you have a stinky will power score as a hero?  oops no i just dont think i could gointo that burning building... my will is only an 8. 

things like that are something that the player should control not the stat...

seperating body from mind also leads to the need for for hit points and mind points.

endurance could easily take the place of will or power points for that matter.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #45 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 12th, 2009 at 9:44am:
I think you could rename the Charisma stat 'Will,' for the reasons outlined in my the post of this thread.

We'll talk Superfriends over in 'Kick Ass Toons.'

Here's a question fer the good doctor, how do you use Reaction Modification when Charisma = Will. Truth be told, having high willpower doesn't inherently make people treat ya better or like ya any better. Not even in the comics.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2009 at 3:36am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #46 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 11:23am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Aug 25th, 2009 at 3:35am:
Here's a question fer the good doctor, how do you use Reaction Modification when Charisma = Will. Truth be told, having high willpower doesn't inherently make people treat ya better or like ya any better. Not even in the comics. 

If we agree that Charisma is NOT appearance, then what attracts you to others and gives that good reaction roll?
I would argue strength of personality, as mentioned in the first post of this thread:
In the real world, people that are leaders (higher Cha) are usually confident and self assured (higher Will).
Who gets a good reaction from a weak-willed type? Once Bill Clinton's low will was made public, his reaction roll from most folks was negatively affected.

In the comics, I think heroes with the power, Willpower, that are low in Charisma are in the minority.
It's more common that superheroes with high Will, as evidenced by the power Willpower, have high Charismas.
Smiley

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #47 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 1:04am
Print Post  
I wunder why D&D (the grandad of V&V) had Wisdom and Charisma separated. The game made it pretty clear that Charisma wasn't appearance (as evidenced by Hitler bein' listed as an evil example of 18+ charisma in the early DM guide), but made little no correlation between the two stats--except that druids and paladins needed high scores in them both. (But regular clerics wuz off the hook.)
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2009 at 1:36am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #48 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:12pm:
DSumner, John or SF: have you laid out the Will stat somewhere on the site? Sounds like a lot of work. New hit mods (I imagine), modifications to a dozen super power descriptions. Does it play into power points? Movement rates? Carry capacity?Lay it on me, please.

I realized that no one bothered to get back to this question. Here's my suggestion, which doesn't involve reworking anything or any hard work.

If you want to add a three-dimensional quality to a campaign by separating WILL from CHARISMA reactions, then just treat them as separate 3d6 abilities: WILL and RESPECT (or popularity or whatever you want to call it).

You don't have to modify any charts.

Just use WILL for all of the powers and combat table adjustments that currently use Charisma, and use RESPECT for the morale/reaction rolls.

Neither WILL nor RESPECT (or whatever you call them) plays into movement rate or power points or anything else. They simply divide what's currently covered by Charisma into two separate attributes in case you'd like them to work that way in a campaign.

That way you can have a character's RESPECT/notoriety go up or down by their perceived actions/reputation without their WILL changing.

If someone is framed for a crime, their Will stat stays the same but their RESPECT stat might go down.

Giving away a ton of money to charity or making public appearances might increase RESPECT/Charisma (as outlined in the rules) without giving someone any WILL adjustments.

It also helps if a hero like Captain America goes under cover as Nomad (for example). Steve Rogers has the same WILL stat either way, but a different RESECT/Popularity stat.

It also helps with secret identities. Tony Stark has a 3d6 RESPECT score, but as Iron Man he has earned much higher RESPECT. That said, his WILL stat is the same in both cases.

And when he lends his armor to someone else, that person has Iron Man's RESPECT score (at least among strangers), but their own WILL score. Just like in the comics--and very simple to use in the game, if you choose.

If a character switches sides, like Quicksilver or Prince Namor, his WILL stat might stay the same but his RESPECT score will go all over the place.

As far as house rules are concerned, this one is a breeze.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2009 at 10:46pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #49 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I use Will for my game.  Will gives you the same hit modifier as intellegence does, and it gives you the same to hit and damage bonus as aglity.   You can focus more on your target and succeed more often if your mind is set.  And you can be more intense.

Will adds to your power score. 

So all in all it doesn't change that much for most PC's or NPC's.  On average it gives most people a bonus ten power and maybe a +1 damage modifier.   

Willpower is the name of the superpower, will is the name of the attribute.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #50 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 11:10am
Print Post  
I tend to agree that a stat called Will should affect hit points and power points.

When you roll Heightened Charisma does the player choose if he wants Heightened Will or Respect?

Thanks for the follow up.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #51 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Sep 5th, 2009 at 11:10am:
I tend to agree that a stat called Will should affect hit points and power points.

When you roll Heightened Charisma does the player choose if he wants Heightened Will or Respect?

Thanks for the follow up.

I have been compiling all the new powers I, and others, have made up.  I am someday going to make up a new chart to roll to get powers at character creation.   As of now, I am playing with this rule.  At start up, a player rolls 1d6 powers gets one weakness and then gets to pick one power.  They can pick an additional power but I get to pick their additional weakness.   This way they can pick any power, including heightened will, or the numerous wildcard powers can cover that.   Until I get off my lazy ass and make that new chart.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #52 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
It's funny cuz I was always okay w/there bein' no Will stat in V&V until I started following; this thread.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 7:46pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Charisma = Ego (in a good way)
Reply #53 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 2:21am
Print Post  
For what it's worth, in pulling out my V&V-Champions conversion chart tonight, one of the first things that jumped out was that V&V's charisma = Champions' ego (i.e. strength of will).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>