Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Weakness Detection (Read 2799 times)
THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Weakness Detection
Jun 11th, 2009 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I was wondering how people Roleplay this skill. Basically it's twofold. The character with the skill gets a bonus to hit of their intelligence divided by 3 so the average Joe would have a plus 3-4 to hit after using the skill. Since it's used on the players action we can say that in less than 15 seconds the character has determined someone else's weakness and they get their bonus.

The bonus to hit seems acceptable if the character notices that every time Dr. Shock throws a Lightning Bolt he draws his right arm back and leaves himself open. The question is how did the Character know in that same time period that Dr. Shock also has a special requirement that he must enter the Omnitron every morning as the sun rises to keep his powers? It seems Reed Richards has Weakness Detection but it takes him a bit longer to analyze his foes weakness. Any thoughts on splitting this skill into two parts but as the same skill?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Weakness Detection
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
I think the V&V version of Weakness Detection is more like a character having the ability to determine a weak point. Basically he figures out to hit you where it would hurt the most, sort of Karnak of the Inhumans.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Karnak is a great example, probably better than Reed Richards when it comes to the actual damage and to hit portion. I'd probably give him a Double dose with, one for plus to hit and another for damage. My question still stands about the actual detection of the weakness. The rule literally reads "the character then learns one of the subjects weaknesses(if any).

That's where I see the difference in the two examples of Comic book characters with the same power.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
This is a good question.  I think the player should  get an Intd20 roll and the better the success, the more information is gleaned.    But  the most obvious weakness should be the first one gleaned.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:34pm:
I'd probably give him a Double dose with, one for plus to hit and another for damage.

I've always let players have choice, that must be stated during character creation, you can choose a damage bonus, or a to-hit bonus.

As far as your question goes, I don't think it means he gets to determine you have Special Requirement, but that they literally figure out your weak points. That you have glass jaw, or you drop your defenses just before firing that power blast, etc. They'd basically hit you at the most opportune moment, or at a critical spot (say joint in your power armor). 

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 5:29am
Print Post  

Back in the day, we all knew that, in the comics, characters with instant "weak point" detection didn't necessarily detect V&V-style weaknesses. Hyper karate-powers didn't tell them an opponent had a certain phobia or special requirement and the like.

And we also knew that many extra-smart characters in comics seemed to deduce weaknesses of their opponents--but not always, and not instantaneously. No, that seemed to take time. (I always wrote it off to an inventing point.)

So you make a good point in suggesting a Weakness Detection A and B, if you will.

Weakness Detection was always a power that I was okay sayin' didn't exactly match the comics (just like every spell in D&D didn't exactly match the spells in classic fantasy). And that was okay. But I'm all for people doin' what makes the most sense for their own campaign.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
  Thanks for the feedback from all. I think the biggest issue I have is the time frame. Once again qouting from the exisitng rules, which basically everyone edits, "the character then learns one of the subjects weaknesses(if any). I agree that seeing a weak point is the first portion but then the second step doesn't really exist unless it's a fairly obvious weakness or the player actually does some real research. I'm a player and not a GM so i'm not going crazy with it but it did bother me a bit unless it's really a form of telepathy which it's not.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Something I forgot to mention.  I take the chart that this power was rolled on into consideration.   If this power was a skill, then  the weakness gleaned is something that would be rather plain.  Like  the way the enemy moves or fights or something  rather mundane.
   If this power was rolled on powers or pcionics, then it can be some sort of intution akin to a sixth sense and then extraordinary weakness may be gleaned.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Good call. I did not even remember it was on any other lists. I thought it was only under skills.

IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
I have a character who had this and when ever it came up, it was always roleplayed as an intuitive insight.  Sort of like a premonition...  But I have always gottent he feeling that batman has it when you read his mind blurbs.

Other times I have seen it, it acted like a sentinel or terminator which the machine figuring everything out.

IP Logged

Mentat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
In my mind weakness detection is just that, learning the opponents weakness if they have 1. Having to spend and action and R=1" to gain this knowledge burns a players phase and puts them in villain range.

Once a player has weakness detected I give them there + to hit, the villains level, and any weakness that is pertinent. If the villain takes 2x dam from fire I tell them this. If the villain has a special requirement I don't divulge what that requirement is.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
   Wow, I thought this thread was dead. All I can think of to reference back to is the skill. It just bothered me that a character can just observe another chararcter for 15 seconds and automatically know a weakness. How does one person observe another for so short a time and realize that the other character has claustrophobia? Yes, I know you could just role play it to indicate that the character that is being observed tends to " shy away from enclosed spaces" while you are circling each other. I would rather look at it as giving the bonus to hit from the beginning based off something that was noticed in a fighting style and then later on in time give up the actual weakness.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 3:46am
Print Post  
The way I like to treat WD is sort of an "A or B" method, as some have suggested.  My 2 versions:

A) The Skills version as listed in the rulebook, that gives a bonus to Hit based on I/3.  This method is truly a skill (like Karnak, though I agree he should get a damage bonus as well), and can be done at range (usually Intelligence in inches away).

B) If it fits for the character, and he has some sort of reason for gaining knowledge of another character (Telepathy, Psionics, Magical Powers, etc.) then he gets to learn something about his opponent (i.e., discovers that he takes double damage from water, can't use his powers in darkness, or whatever).  This one usually has a range of 1" (like the rulebook suggests).

Both versions require an action.

It's really something a person chooses at character creation, since they're such different abilities.

IP Logged

>