Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ode to Heightened Intelligence A (Read 15440 times)
Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Re: Ode to Heightened Intelligence A
Reply #35 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:52pm:
Yeah, it's a thin line between genius and insanity. 

After reading this thread, it occurs to me that some people can go out of their way to come across as a heckler. Putting smiley faces at the end of every needlessly sarcastic comment doesn't make it any less true.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #36 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 1:28am
Print Post  
No need to revive a dead argument.  Lets focus on the fun stuff.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Sylver Nightwind
Avenger

Reply #37 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 1:32am
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 6:16pm:
Tell that to my wife. She thinks I have Lowered Intellegence -12!

HEY!  I just saw this!  I don't think you have lowered intelligence at all honey... *giggles*

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #38 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 4:02am:
That means that the word innate above the V&V POWERS table is not synonymous with inborn (dictionary definitions aside). Rather, innate in this context distinguishes these super powers from devices, magic items, magic/psionics, and extraordinary learned skills.

Not trying to nitpick, and I didn't bring my rulebook to work today, but I'm thinking the description of devices is inclusive of some of those powers that are gained by some other method - super soldier formula or whatnot.  If I'm remembering correctly, this would lean toward the counter point of your position.  That innate does equal born with as opposed to acquired later.

I'm willing to admit that I might be eating my foot when I get home tonight and take a look at the rules.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #39 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:02pm
Print Post  

My submission to the short-lived project "Most Wanted 2" - a web-based character supplement, was named Blister.  He had lowered intelligence and was basically an animal.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #40 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:02pm:

My submission to the short-lived project "Most Wanted 2" - a web-based character supplement, was named Blister.  He had lowered intelligence and was basically an animal.

'Submission'?
Do you have anything you could share?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #41 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I'll dig out the weblink tonight after I get home.  There were quite a few characters submitted and posted on the web, I hope they aren't gone.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #42 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:01pm:
Not trying to nitpick, and I didn't bring my rulebook to work today, but I'm thinking the description of devices is inclusive of some of those powers that are gained by some other method - super soldier formula or whatnot.If I'm remembering correctly, this would lean toward the counter point of your position.That innate does equal born with as opposed to acquired later.
Are you saying, that--theoretically speaking--the Fantastic Four and Hulk rolled their powers on the Devices table instead of Powers. Is that what you're saying?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #43 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:28pm:
Not trying to nitpick, and I didn't bring my rulebook to work today, but I'm thinking the description of devices is inclusive of some of those powers that are gained by some other method - super soldier formula or whatnot.If I'm remembering correctly, this would lean toward the counter point of your position.That innate does equal born with as opposed to acquired later.
Are you saying, that--theoretically speaking--the Fantastic Four and Hulk rolled their powers on the Devices table instead of Powers. Is that what you're saying?

Okay, first, I cannot find the reference I thought was there.  Not sure where I got that.  Second, that is my feeling on the matter - that the FF and Hulk got their powers from Devices - scientifically synthesized superpowers.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:51pm by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #44 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:50pm:
Okay, first, I cannot find the reference I thought was there.Not sure where I got that.Second, that is my feeling on the matter - that the FF and Hulk got their powers from Devices - scientifically synthesized superpowers. 
Just for clarity, then, would that also include someone like Wally West, who was accidentally struck by a Lightning Bolt?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #45 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Okay, thinking about this. No, Fantastic Four would not be devices.  They were struck by a cosmic ray (not scientifically sythesized).  Same for Wally.  The Hulk could be argued either way, depending on whether you go comic book or tv series.  Comic book, powers.  TV series, devices.

Captain America - devices
Wolverine - powers and devices

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #46 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:04pm:
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:02pm:

'Submission'?
Do you have anything you could share?

Here is the website to the project:
http://mostwantedtwo.iwarp.com/

Here is my character Blister:
http://mostwantedtwo.iwarp.com/blister.htm

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #47 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:17pm:
eLock wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 4:02am:
the word innate above the V&V POWERS table is not synonymous with inborn (dictionary definitions aside)....

...a loose definition to the word learned is only fair

I guess I'm just a purist.
Happy to agree to disagree. 

It sounds like Dr. Foom is of the mindset that the Powers table only describes innate = inborn abilities, based on the snappy reply from earlier in this thread. That being the case, which table would Flash and the Fantastic Four get their powers from. Were they born with them on the "I guess I'm a purist" Powers table? Or did they get them from another table.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:21pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #48 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:12pm:
It sounds like Dr. Foom is of the mindset that the Powers table only describes innate = inborn abilities, based on the snappy reply from earlier in this thread. That being the case, which table would Flash and the Fantastic Four get their powers from. Were they born with them on the "I guess I'm a purist" Powers table? Or did they get them from another table. 

Eric's position on devices is one that's never crossed my mind. It does make sense. I have trouble with it because the category is still called "Devices." But it's a really interesting thought.

Re: 'innate:' I guess I would say that all inborn powers are innate powers, but not all innate powers are inborn, if that makes sense. I always saw the FF as having innate powers, and having gotten their powers from the Powers table rather than the Devices table, fwiw.

How is it that interpretations of these rules can still be interesting after 30 years?!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:41pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #49 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:04pm:
Here is my character Blister:
http://mostwantedtwo.iwarp.com/blister.htm ;

Great site! Wow.
Thanks for linking.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #50 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
If you didn't spot the reference in the revised rules, any chance you were thinking of the Designed/Sponsored table from the original rules? That table would fit Captain America--and it includes abilities that we might describe as skills, powers, and devices.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #51 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 2:13am
Print Post  
I always thought that a power was something you do with your body, like Spider Man or Superman.  A device is something out side your body, like the webshooters or Cap's shield.

I never took into account HOW you got your powers.  So if a guy invented a machine that bathed you in rays so you could strech, you would have the POWER of stretching because you do it yourself.   If you wore an exoskeleton that let you stretch, and you could not stretch unless you wore this suit, then it was a device.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #52 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 9:36pm:
If you didn't spot the reference in the revised rules, any chance you were thinking of the Designed/Sponsored table from the original rules? That table would fit Captain America--and it includes abilities that we might describe as skills, powers, and devices.

I was probably misremembering or getting it confused with another ruleset.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #53 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:01pm:
Captain America - devices

While his Shield (and possibly lightweight Armor) would qualify as Devices, I see Cap as being mostly Skills, although some would qualify as Powers (from the super-solider serum).

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #54 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 25th, 2009 at 3:46pm:
But in comic books, people are born with Cosmic Awareness and Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B at an alarming rate. Superpowers from the "Powers" chart in V&V are called "innate super abilities." I don't know if you need to be a full blown Mutant to have been born a genius in a comic book or in V&V. 
Here's the part I don't get. You keep coming back again and again about how Powers is the best table to describe characters born with Heightened Intelligence. Then you bring up that comics have people born with Heightened Intelligence, Telepathy, and Cosmic Awareness at an alarming rate. But Cosmic Awareness isn't even on the Powers table, it's on Magic/Psionics. I can see how others had a hard time following your argument when you altered the table you were talking about mid-stream.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2009 at 6:55pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #55 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:32pm
Print Post  

Rick wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 6:52pm:
Then you bring up that comics have people born with Heightened Intelligence, Telepathy, and Cosmic Awareness at an alarming rate. But Cosmic Awareness isn't even on the Powers table, it's on Magic/Psionics.

Hi Rick,
I mentioned those powers specifically because someone called those out as examples of powers people can't be born with in the real world, iirc.
So I was just saying that you can be born with them in comic books.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #56 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I can't hink of one person in comics or TV who has cosmic awareness the way it works in the game. There are psychics and telepaths, but I don't know of heroes who ask yes/no questions and get results anything like the way it works in the rulebook.

Who are all the characters in comics born with cosmic awareness? I want to read up on them. Thanks.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #57 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:06am
Print Post  
But in comic books, people are born with Cosmic Awareness and Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B at an alarming rate.

Can you tell me some comics where people are born with cosmic awareness at an alarming rate? I haven't found them yet and want to learn.

I want to read more examples of that power in comics to help me in the game. None of the psychics in comics seem to have cosmic awareness the way it works in V&V. And the stories with people who say they have cosmic awareness also don't have the power the way it works in the game.

Where can I go to read about all the people born with cosmic awareness V&V style? If they are old issues, are they collected together in Essential volumes. Thanks for your assistance.

P.S. If I find out now, I might still be able to get some of the comics for christmas.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:08am by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #58 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Starhawk is the "One Who Knows".

So is Mantis, and maybe Layla Miller.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #59 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:21pm:
Now anyone want to take a stab atan Ode to Heightened Charisma A? 

John gets Heightened Charisma A and B for taking time to answer my question and helping me out! Smiley 

18 + 20 + 30 + 10 levels of training as moderator gives you 78 charisma. Cool

I'll see if my uncle or friends have any comics with those characters. I want to read some issues where people use cosmic awareness in a way that matches V&V. It helps me to see the power in action, not just read about it in theory.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #60 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the delay. Crazy time of year.

Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 21st, 2009 at 9:58pm:
I want to read some issues where people use cosmic awareness in a way that matches V&V.

I'm not aware of it, even though they are both called "Cosmic Awareness."
I think the reason is simply the differing formats. Comics are visual, so they use visions or pictures to depict these kinds of abilities rather than 'yes or no' dialogue with an all knowing source.
But in the game, the GM is the all knowing source, more or less, so there it will occur with dialogue or questions. Also, I think they put limits on it in V&V to make it playable in a game. In comics, it's a story element or deus ex machina.

Most examples of folks born with the power are alien races or cosmic beings like John's example above or Polar Boy's great Santa thread.

Belated welcome to the boards.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:27pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #61 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:18pm:
But in the game, the GM is the all knowing source, more or less, so there it will occur with dialogue or questions. Also, I think they put limits on it in V&V to make it playable in a game. In comics, it's a story element or deus ex machina.

Bummer. I was hoping you knew of a lot of comics where a lot of people are born with cosmic awareness like it works in the game since the thread examples were about game distinctions (A vs. B) that nobody talks about in comics.

So I guess people in comics really aren't born with V&V cosmic awareness all the time. That's okay, I guess. At least I don't feel dumb for not being able to think of anyone who fit.

I saw the thread about Santa Claus but he's not a superhero and its arguable whether or not he was born with his powers.

No big deal, I guess.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #62 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:34pm:
So I guess people in comics really aren't born with V&V cosmic awareness all the time. 

Where did I say "V&V cosmic awareness?"

I think I see your mistake. You've pulled a line out of context. Folks are born with Cosmic Awareness in comics, as opposed to real life, which is what the quote was referring to.

And Santa will always be a hero to me.
Happy holidays.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:57pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #63 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:47pm:
Where did I say "V&V cosmic awareness?" 

I did not take you out of context. The only one taking you out of context is yourself.

This whole thread has been about which tables powers come from. This whole thread has been about game terms when translating characters (or real people).

eLock introduced cosmic awareness into the thread in game terms.

eLock wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 3:57pm:
The B-option requires a superhuman origin--the same type of origin that might produce Cosmic Awareness (from the Psionics table) or Adaption (from the Powers table). Humans are not inherently born with Telepahty and Flight, and they are not inherently born with Heightened Intelligence B.

But in comic books, people are born with Cosmic Awareness and Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B at an alarming rate. Superpowers from the "Powers" chart in V&V are called "innate super abilities." I don't know if you need to be a full blown Mutant to have been born a genius in a comic book or in V&V. 

It was reasonable to think that when eLock brought up cosmic awareness (and heightened intelligence B, etc.) in game terms, and you responded with a "but" comment about cosmic awareness and heightened intelligence B, that you meant game terms as applied to comics. ... Otherwise your comment wouldn't have made any sense, since characters in comics don't talk about A/B intelligence but you used that V&V language when discussing people born with powers in comics.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 3:16am by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #64 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I'm going to have to agree with Captain Kurt on this one, Doctor Foom.  From what you said, character is comics "are born with Cosmic Awareness at an alarming rate".  Unfortunately, none of us here seem to be able to rattle off a list of people with this power (comic book style or V&V type), so it seems to be a pretty rare power (in either medium).

The only character I remember seeing with this ability was a Captain Marvel variant in the Avengers Forever maxiseries.  But - as Doctor Foom said - it's tough to show this power in a comic book, so they end up making references to a character 'consulting the cosmos' or 'being one with the universe' or somesuch.  There's not much way to show what's going on inside a character's head, other than what we see in thought bubbles.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #65 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 6:35pm:
There's not much way to show what's going on inside a character's head, other than what we see in thought bubbles.
That remark makes me smile, Majestic  Smiley, since we see thought balloons all the time in comics. It's like saying it's hard to know what color a hero's costume happens to be, other than what we see in the pictures.  Smiley But I know what you meant.  Smiley I'll try to track down Captain Marvel like you suggested. Thanks, Majestic. You have a Merry Christmas!  Cool

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:29am by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #66 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
No comic character has cosmic awarness like the V&V rules, thats why  I tweaked them.

From my House Rules:

Cosmic Awareness; Pr=0.  Remains one action.   The character saves Id100.  Each question lowers the intelligence by one.  The harder the question, the GM may lower the I score as they see fit. The player can concentrate harder (EI spend extra power) and increase their I score for purposes of that save on a one per one basis.  If the die roll is less than the I score for the roll, they get the answer. If it misses by up to 50, they get nothing.  If they miss up to 75 they get the wrong answer.  If they miss up to 100, they are overwhelmed with the universe and go into a trance. They save Id20 per hour to awaken.  If they miss over 100, then they are in the trance, but they have gain the attention of some Cosmic Power.  This can be good or bad!

This to me seems to be more in line with Captain Marvel, Mantis, Starhawk mabye Adam Warlock.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #67 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks, John. Merry Christmas!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #68 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:18am:
There's not much way to show what's going on inside a character's head, other than what we see in thought bubbles.
That remark makes me smile, Majestic  Smiley, since we see thought balloons all the time in comics. It's like saying it's hard to know what color a hero's costume happens to be, other than what we see in the pictures.  Smiley But I know what you meant.  Smiley I'll try to track down Captain Marvel like you suggested. Thanks, Majestic. You have a Merry Christmas!  Cool

Yes, I probably wasn't as clear with that as I meant to be.  Of course we can see the exact contents of what is shown, but what I meant was:

Even though we see some of what a character is thinking (via thought bubbles), it doesn't mean we're privvy to everything going on "inside" that character.  In other words, Spider-Man might say "Holy cow, that was close" (when a bullet goes whizzing by his head), but there's no real way to gauge whether he felt exhilerated, scared out of his mind, petrified beyond belief, or hardly worried.  And even if the writer and artist convey to us the proper emotion (via body language, facial expression, and dialog), we still don't really know - let's say on a scale of 1 to 10 - whether that fear is at a "3" or a "9".

So we see some of what they are thinking and feeling, but we rarely get the whole of what's going in their noggins (with some wordy writers like Chris Claremont, we might see 90% of it, though).    Grin

Hopefully that explains what I meant a little better.    Smiley

And Merry Christmas to you, too (and to everyone else here!).    Smiley

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #69 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
From what you said, character is comics "are born with Cosmic Awareness at an alarming rate". Unfortunately, none of us here seem to be able to rattle off a list of people with this power (comic book style or V&V type), so it seems to be a pretty rare power (in either medium).

Hi Majestic,
Actually, what I said was 'people are born with Cosmic Awareness and Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B at an alarming rate.'  Smiley

Comicbook style Cosmic Awareness: there are a bunch of examples. Just in this thread so far:

Santa Claus (who has appeared in comics)  Wink
Starhawk
Mantis
Captain Marvel
Adam Warlock

Also:
The Watcher Uatu and his people might be good candidates for a race that are born with Cosmic Awareness.

Epoch was born with Cosmic Awareness

Genis Vel, aka Legacy or Photon was born with Cosmic Awareness

And a number of sorcerous characters and cosmic celestial beings (Anomaly, Eternity) have it.
And these don't include the DC comics examples because my knowledge there is lacking.
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools

>