Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ode to Heightened Intelligence A (Read 15298 times)
eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Ode to Heightened Intelligence A
Oct 22nd, 2009 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
I'm a stickler to the origin table in the rulebook when it comes to assigning Heightened Intelligence (and other exceptional abilities).

For all their brainpower, men such as Tony Stark, Henry Pym, and Victor von Doom have Heightened Intelligence A instead of B.

These geniuses had extraordinary intellects before gaining their superhuman powers and devices, and mystical forces and mutations did not help them tap into extra brainpower.

With characters like Moondragon and Dr. Strange, there's a case to be made for Heightened Intellignece B, due to their metaphysical origins (the Psionics/Magic table). With Prof. X, as well, because he is a psionic mutant, although type A still might apply in each of these cases. We'd have to see what happens when Xavier loses his mutant powers to know for sure.

There's no shame in Heightened Intelligence A. It's an extradinary skill (natural aptitude/talent/training) available to a small percentage of standard homo sapiens.

In the works of Arthur Conan Dolyle, Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty would follow suit, along with Professor Challenger.

From history, Leonardo daVinci, Thomas Edison, and Albert Einstein are some of the many contenders.

Whether the score is a 3 or a 30, Heightened Intelligence B requires a metaphysical/mystical origin from the Psionics/Magic table, a Device, Magic item, or a a physical mutation/alteration from the Powers table. The Leader is one of the most obvious examples here.

When all's said and done, there's something to be said for making the A-list.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2009 at 7:41pm by eLock »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Ode to Heightened Intelligence A
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I agree with your assesment of Heightened Intelligence A and B, and that's how we do it.

So if we make up, say, a Doctor character (in order to have a full-time physician available for our superheroes), then that Doc can only have Heightened Intelligence A.  I recently did this in our campaign, rolling three of them up to have some to choose from, and two of them ended up with Intelligences of 30 (even though they only had H. Int. A)!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Good take on the power. I loved this post.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 6:52pm:
Good take on the power. I loved this post. 

John and Majestic are also strong contenders for Heightened Intellignece A.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Interesting post.

If Heightened Intelligence A came from the Skills table, that means it was a learned or trained ability; a skill.

So were Tony Stark, Henry Pym, Victor von Doom, Sherlock Holmes, Professor Moriarty, Leonardo daVinci, Thomas Edison, and Albert Einstein (and Reed Richards for that matter) exceptionally bright children, or were they average intelligence at birth and then became geniuses later?

If it's the former, it argues the case for Heightened Intelligence B. 'Born with it' speaks to an inherent condition, similar to a mutation, more than a learned skill, no?
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2009 at 3:34pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 3:31pm:
If it's the former, it argues the case for Heightened Intelligence B. 'Born with it' speaks to an inherent condition, similar to a mutation, more than a learned skill, no?

The answer to your question in no.

Natural variation is inherent in all species, without mutation. The students I work with today could tell you that.

The B-option requires a superhuman origin--the same type of origin that might produce Cosmic Awareness (from the Psionics table) or Adaption (from the Powers table). Humans are not inherently born with Telepahty and Flight, and they are not inherently born with Heightened Intelligence B.

I'm a purist when it comes to the rulebook. The power/skills chart designed by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman made a point of making that clear.

Within the sphere of comics, the Marvel Universe clearly does not identify Henry Pym, Tony Stark, and Mr. Fantastic for that matter as gentically-born mutants. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby clearly did not compare these men with the X-Men.

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2009 at 3:58pm by eLock »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 3:57pm:
I'm a purist when it comes to the rulebook. The power/skills chart designed by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman made a point of making that clear.

Then do you disagree with the position that you must train to acquire a Skill?

I could see daVinci as someone who was born different, with Heightened Intelligence B.
Mozart was a child prodigy, I could see something there as well.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:29pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:03pm:
Then do you disagree with the position that you must train to aquire a Skill?

Skills require training, no matter someone's age might be. As for child prodigies, they practice/train intently, just at a younger age, often performing at what may be the peak of natural, human ability.

Having a natural aptitude, that might allow someone to develop a skill more quickly than an average person, fits well with the Skills table.

The world if filled with exceptionally gifted human beings. These are not mutants. And they do not have supernatural origins. That is part of the genius of the type-A skills table.

Hence, my initial Ode to Heightened Intelligence A.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:29pm:
The world if filled with exceptionally gifted human beings. These are not mutants. And they do not have supernatural origins.

Sure, but I don't have to tell you that V&V is designed to simulate comics, not the real world.

In the real world, I think child prodigies are born brilliant, which is what enables them to begin intense training earlier than normal. If I had to apply V&V to the real world, I guess I'd call that Heightened Intelligence B (an "innate" ability; born with it) followed by training in skills (small "s", like Music for Mozart or Mathematics or Langauges for another genius.)

One could argue that the real-world prodigy rolled a natural 18 on 3d6 for Intelligence. Then trained up his Intelligence another 2d10 through study. But in the real world, IQ isn't supposed to change as one ages. You can't increase your Intelligence. You would learn skills (small "s") and acquire knowledge. So Heightened Intelligence A as a Skill/learned thing can't ever equate to reality, imho.

But in comic books, people are born with Cosmic Awareness and Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B at an alarming rate. Superpowers from the "Powers" chart in V&V are called "innate super abilities." I don't know if you need to be a full blown Mutant to have been born a genius in a comic book or in V&V.

There are an amazing number of geniuses in comics. So it's hard for me to believe a game system designed to simulate comics would only have one way to gain Heightened Intelligence A (the Skill chart) and four charts to give Heightened Intelligence B, if the majority of comic book geniuses have Heightened Intelligence A. It wouldn't simulate comics very accurately.

But again, really interesting subject. I appreciate your perspective and your thoughtful posts. Thanks.

Polarboy, or anyone who knows the modules: Is there a pattern of how Heightened Intelligence A and B are used in regards to character origins? Thanks!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I always too the A options as something that can be either innate to a person or something that comes with special training.   The B option is the stuff of super science/magic/what have you.   

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 3:50am
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 25th, 2009 at 7:03pm:
I always took the A options as something that can be either innate to a person or something that comes with special training.   The B option is the stuff of super science/magic/what have you. 

Nice summary. That's how we always read the charts too.

Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 25th, 2009 at 3:46pm:
Polarboy, or anyone who knows the modules: Is there a pattern of how Heightened Intelligence A and B are used in regards to character origins? Thanks!

There's no discernable pattern, as so many of the published characters list heightened abilities without specifying A or B--and the origin/background section for many of these characters is ambiguous.

For starters, Manta-Man from Crisis at Crusader Citadel is 6th level with Intelligence: 26. That is impossible in standard game terms without giving him heightened intelligence (which he doesn't have). And the module doesn't reveal how his score got so high.

One could argue that the real-world prodigy rolled a natural 18 on 3d6 for Intelligence. Then trained up his Intelligence another 2d10 through study. But in the real world, IQ isn't supposed to change as one ages. You can't increase your Intelligence. 

Years of scientific research shows that real-world IQ scores, like almost all human ability, definitely can increase through training and practice. The notion that IQ "isn't supposed to change as one ages" was debunked. (This is one of my areas of study.)

I don't know if you need to be a full blown Mutant to have been born a genius in a comic book or in V&V. 

The game doesn't require any degree of mutation to be born a genius because a genius-level IQ is possible by rolling 3d6.

Examples:

In Opponents Unlimited, electronics expert George Ronky has an Intelligence of 17 and is described as an "genius." ... He is a ready source of repair for broken hero (and villain) devices.

Organized Crimes tells us that a robotics expert with 18 Intelligence (54% inventing chance) was smart enough to build a robotic duplicate of Troy Harrow. The invented Robotic Body has 100% human appearance, weight x 2, Strength + 12, 45% internal repair in 3 turns (once per day), and built-in Life-Support: PR = 1 per hour, to keep Troy's brain alive inside.

There are an amazing number of geniuses in comics. So it's hard for me to believe a game system designed to simulate comics would only have one way to gain Heightened Intelligence A (the Skill chart) and four charts to give Heightened Intelligence B, if the majority of comic book geniuses have Heightened Intelligence A. It wouldn't simulate comics very accurately.

Comments in the "What changes would you make to V&V" thread demonstrate that results from the random charts in the rulebook don't always match the distribution of heightened abilities that many V&V players see in comics.

http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1253221207/4...

Three of the five villains in Battle Above the Earth each have Heightened Intelligence A, along with exceptionally different power/device/item/skill/psionics sets.

The A-version of intelligence does make a stamp in the published sources.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009 at 12:10am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 3:26pm:
I agree with your assesment of Heightened Intelligence A and B, and that's how we do it.So if we make up, say, a Doctor character (in order to have a full-time physician available for our superheroes), then that Doc can only have Heightened Intelligence A.

Majestic, if Heightened Intelligence were needed, I would use this model as well.

As an aside, in Great Iridium Con the hero Epsilon is allied with physician Michael Dupont. Under his care, the player characters recover at 1.6 times the standard healing rate. (This gives Dr. Dupont a 16 intellignece, following the rulebook guidelines for the knowledge area of medicine.)

That alone can make a difference!
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2009 at 2:59pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks Polarboy. I always thought Manta Man's write up had a typo that omitted his Heightened Intelligence.

polarboy wrote on Oct 26th, 2009 at 3:50am:
Years of scientific research shows that real-world IQ scores, like almost all human ability, definitely can increase through training and practice. The notion that IQ "isn't supposed to change as one ages" was debunked. (This is one of my areas of study.)

Really? You've just raised my IQ by teaching me that. Wink
Seriously, that's fascinating. What level of plasticity in indicated?

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:21am
Print Post  
But in comic books, people are born with Cosmic Awareness and Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B at an alarming rate. 

Cosmic Awareness (without a device/item) appears only on the chart for psionic/magic abilities. I see it as a power available to psychic mutant/aliens/etc. as well as to humans who happen to be psychic but still biologically human.

Because of the heading, I see all of the abilities rolled directly from that magic/psionics chart as having a paranormal/mystical implication to them, including Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B in those cases.

If characters with Cosmic Awareness, Telepathy, and Heightened Intelligence B are born "at an alarming rate" in a science-fiction or fantasy world, then in game terms a significantly high number of the players/GMs chose to roll their characters' powers from the psionics/magic chart, following V&V's usual random character-generation guidelines.

Likewise, in comics, I tend to see Heightened Intelligence B from that psionics/magic chart as an enhancement that is psychic, supernatural, or inexplicable in nature.

As a result, I don't associate real-world prodigies/savants (such as the Mozart example from above) as having an inherently metaphysical or parapsychological abilility.

Hence my original ode to Heightened Intelligence A.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009 at 6:31pm by eLock »  

IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Reed richards would have been born with Ht int A but His mutation added Ht Int B and that is why he is the smartest man in the world.  I remember reading that his flexibility was also extended to his thinking. That his Brain worked different than others.

I should also point out that it is possible to roll two ht int A's in the case of people like einstien.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:16am by Harkker »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Harkker wrote on Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:15am:
Reed richards would have been born with Ht int A but His mutation added Ht Int B and that is why he is the smartest man in the world.  I remember reading that his flexibility was also extended to his thinking. That his Brain worked different than others.

I should also point out that it is possible to roll two ht int A's in the case of people like einstien.

Or even three (or four), at least in theory.

We tend to 'cap' the physical Basic Characteristics (S, E, and A) for "normal humans".  That never means they can't go higher; just that if they do it means they have gone into 'superhuman levels' somehow (like via a mutation).

We do not view the two intangible BCs (I and C) the same way, and don't define a hard cap for what a normal human can rise to, either via Ht. Int. A or Ht. Int. B.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #16 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:21am:
As a result, I don't associate real-world prodigies/savants (such as the Mozart example from above) as having an inherently metaphysical or parapsychological abilility. 

Neither do I.  Smiley
I see them as having been 'born with it.' Which is better met by the definition of "Powers" (an innate ability) over "Skills" (a learned ability). That's all. Thanks again.

Hey Harkker and Majestic: Great points about multiplying A's to get a stat worthy of a Reed Richards.

Polarboy, is real-world IQ elastic enough that one can study and train enough to double their IQ? Thanks.

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 1:03am
Print Post  
OT: Here's something I got a kick out of reading. It's about the Mozart effect, they way that simply listening to his music can temporarily boost students' IQ scores 8-9 points (about 1 point of Intelligence in V&V terms).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_effect

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 4:02am
Print Post  
Since I was the one who started this thread, I thought I might spend some time using my own intelligence to run some numbers.

In game terms, the average character begins with an Intelligence of 10.5 (rolling 3d6).

In game terms, Heightened Intelligence A yields an average bonus of 11 (rolling 2d10).

10.5 + 11 = 21.5.
That translates to an IQ score of 215, based on the rulebook guidelines. In the real world, there are adults with scores into the 220s. Experts estimate that some historical geniuses, including daVinci, may have had IQs around 220 as well. So the baseline results for Heightened Intelligence A actually fit real people.

The rulebook describes POWERS as "innate super abilities." The operative word here is super. In the Crusader module, Enforcer was not born with Force Fields; Laserfire was not born with Flame Powers or Light Control. Even within the modules, those born with their POWERS are probably in the minority.

Many of the non-mutant heroes created by Stan "the man" Lee and Jack "king" Kirby have "innate super abilities" listed on the V&V POWERS table. Yet Benjamin Grimm was not born with his "innate" orange armor. When they were creating V&V, Jeff Dee and Jack Herman clearly did not intend for us to draw that conclusion.

That means that the word innate above the V&V POWERS table is not synonymous with inborn (dictionary definitions aside). Rather, innate in this context distinguishes these super powers from devices, magic items, magic/psionics, and extraordinary learned skills.

Comics and the game show us that characters might be born with super POWERS from this table (like the mutant Angel from the X-Men has wings) or they might gain superhuman powers from this table (like Dreamweaver of the Crusaders gains invisibility, etc.).

Since we have to take a loose definition to the word innate, in order for comics and V&V to make sense, a loose definition to the word learned is only fair; even people born extraordinarily gifted must learn. In fact, research shows that perhaps half of all human intelligence is learned; not predetermined at birth.

In game terms, the average character begins with an Intelligence of 10.5 (3d6).

In game terms, Heightened Intelligence B gives an average bonus of 16.5 (3d10).

10.5 + 16.5 = 27.
That translates to a 270 IQ. And that score is a good 40 points higher than the highest recorded IQ score.  In other words, the default results of this super ability do not describe any real people.

Mozart is no exception. Was he a genius? Yes! Experts who've tried to estimate his IQ place it somewhere between 165 and 175 (about a 17 intelligence in game terms).

You don't need heightened intelligence to be a Mozart!

Now that, in itself, is inspiring!

Excelsior!
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:23am by eLock »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 1:03am:
OT: Here's something I got a kick out of reading. It's about the Mozart effect, they way that simply listening to his music can temporarily boost students' IQ scores 8-9 points (about 1 point of Intelligence in V&V terms).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_effect

I've heard that listening to Classical music in general allows for greater concentration and retention of information (my daughter listens to it while studying).  OTOH, some rock (I would imagine much of what my son listens to, which I would define more as 'screaming' (he refers to it as "growling"), has been shown to do things like increase stress, decrease strength, etc. (and has a profound affect on plants as well).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 4:02am:
In game terms, the average character begins with an Intelligence of 10.5 (rolling 3d6).

In game terms, Heightened Intelligence A yields an average bonus of 11 (rolling 2d10).

10.5 + 11 = 21.5.
That translates to an IQ score of 215, based on the rulebook guidelines. In the real world, there are adults with scores into the 220s. Experts estimate that some historical geniuses, including daVinci, may have had IQs around 220 as well. So the baseline results for Heightened Intelligence A actually fit real people.

Good stuff here, eLock (and quite interesting)!

As for Intelligence in V&V equaling IQ, I don't think it's spelled out that clearly.  I think there's a reference to Intelligence being one's innate knowledge, IQ, and the like, but isn't that formula (I=IQ) from some other game? (D&D perhaps?)

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:32pm:

As for Intelligence in V&V equaling IQ, I don't think it's spelled out that clearly.I think there's a reference to Intelligence being one's innate knowledge, IQ, and the like, but isn't that formula (I=IQ) from some other game? (D&D perhaps?)

Thanks, Majestic. As a lurker I long admired your clear and well-organized perspective. I've appreciated all of your replies.

A few of the early V&V resources mention that Int. = 1/10 IQ--and it works pretty well as a ballpark since competent NPC engineers and physicians in the game often have Int. scores of 15-17. (Lower scores, such as Iron Maiden's 9 Int. from the Destroyers module, certainly are possible, both in the game and in the real world.) It also works reasonably well with the average random score being between 10 and 11 (since average U.S. scores are actually higher than 100.)

But it's certainly not something drilled into the game--just a published model that I wanted to use when crunching numbers. (I'm not sure if D&D or any other games ever used a similar model.)

I had no idea that a simple Ode to Heightened Intelligence A would attrack so much attention.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2009 at 4:42pm by eLock »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
the word innate above the V&V POWERS table is not synonymous with inborn (dictionary definitions aside)....

...a loose definition to the word learned is only fair 

I guess I'm just a purist.
Happy to agree to disagree.  Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #23 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 4:39pm:
I had no idea that a simple Ode to Heightened Intelligence A would attrack so much attention.

Me too.  Good thread.   Now anyone want to take a stab at  an Ode to Heightened Charisma A?
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:22pm by John »  

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #24 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:21pm:
Me too.Good thread. Now anyone want to take a stab atan Ode to Heightened Charisma A? 

LOL John, you crack me up! From the stuff you and Oni post, you guys must have a blast!

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
So it's hard for me to believe a game system designed to simulate comics would only have one way to gain Heightened Intelligence A (the Skill chart).

Pre-Emptive Strike includes an extraterrestrial with Arachnid Powers for her species. One of the innate abilities available to her species is Heightened Intelligence A.

This follows the rules, as Animal/Plant Powers gives Arachnids the chance of having heightened intelligence. Avians also get a shot at this. So do Mammals.

Humans are mammals.

So opening up the POWERS chart to standard humans means that there actually are two ways for a human to get Heightened Intelligence A in the game.

1. From the SKILLS chart.
2. From the POWERS chart, under Mammal Powers.

Rulebook statistics have to get thrown out the window, of course, any time you open up the random POWERS chart to standard humans--since standard humans never demonstrate Ice Powers, Power Blast and other abilities from the super POWERS chart.

So even if we require that prodigious humans born with exceptional intelligence have an innate ability from the POWERS chart, they could still have Heightened Intelligence A.

Jack Herman and Jeff Dee knew what they were doing!

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2009 at 2:06pm by eLock »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #26 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 4:39pm:
Majestic wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:32pm:

As for Intelligence in V&V equaling IQ, I don't think it's spelled out that clearly.I think there's a reference to Intelligence being one's innate knowledge, IQ, and the like, but isn't that formula (I=IQ) from some other game? (D&D perhaps?)

Thanks, Majestic. As a lurker I long admired your clear and well-organized perspective. I've appreciated all of your replies.

A few of the early V&V resources mention that Int. = 1/10 IQ--and it works pretty well as a ballpark since competent NPC engineers and physicians in the game often have Int. scores of 15-17. (Lower scores, such as Iron Maiden's 9 Int. from the Destroyers module, certainly are possible, both in the game and in the real world.) It also works reasonably well with the average random score being between 10 and 11 (since average U.S. scores are actually higher than 100.)

But it's certainly not something drilled into the game--just a published model that I wanted to use when crunching numbers. (I'm not sure if D&D or any other games ever used a similar model.)

Thanks so much, eLock!    Smiley

As for the IQ thing, that makes sense.  I just wasn't sure if there was anything "official" on it (I think the rulebook references "IQ" a couple of times, which certainly hints at it).

It certainly has been an active and well-discussed thread!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #27 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 30th, 2009 at 12:05pm:
Humans are mammals.

LOL
So Reed Richards and Mozart had Animal/Plant Powers: Mammal.
You get bonus points for creativity! Cheesy
Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2009 at 7:08pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #28 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:56pm:
eLock wrote on Oct 30th, 2009 at 12:05pm:
Humans are mammals.

LOL
So Reed Richards and Mozart had Animal/Plant Powers: Mammal.
You get bonus points for creativity! Cheesy
Smiley

Hey, no joke - our (arguably) most powerful PC among the Guardians right now (Neutron) has Animal Plant Powers, and he picked:

Animal/Plant Powers: Mammal; Human.

I kid you not.    Grin

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #29 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I had a player do the same thing!

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 7:04pm:
John and Majestic are also strong contenders for Heightened Intellignece A.

I said it before, and I will say it again: John and Majestic are also strong contenders for Heightened Intelligence A.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Tell that to my wife. She thinks I have Lowered Intellegence -12!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #32 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 5:59pm:
said it before, and I will say it again: John and Majestic are also strong contenders for Heightened Intelligence A.

Yeah, it's a thin line between genius and insanity.  Wink

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
We old dogs had a big discussion on Ht. Int A over on CriticalFumble.net some months back. I came away with some decisions for my campaign:

1) Ht. A (of anything) is possible by self-effort - genetics and education with training all work together.

2) Ht. B (of any stat) is possible by outside force, influences that enhance what the character has.

3) After some more thinking, I decided the Physical to Mental to Spiritual stats should get progressively 'looser' on their caps, poss. raising the cap by 6 pts each stat. (similar to Majestic's suggestion above):

STR: 24
END: 30
AGI: 36
INT: 42 (each point of INT is 5 IQ pts, not 10)
WLL: 48 (think Batman telling Guy Gardner "No.")
CHA: 54 (think Cap telling Thor what to do)

Going beyond these stats is not possible for Normal Humans with great advantages and training.

p.s Thanks to 'Chimaera' - a graduate-level cognitive sciences student and teacher, who knows this field of study - we came up with a more graduated growth for INT. It goes like this: 10 = 100, just as above. But 11 = 105, 12 = 110, and so on and so forth...

13 = 115
14 = 120
15 = 125
16 = 130
17 = 135 |
18 = 140 (born genius, range dep. on testing method)
19 = 145 |
20 = 150
21 = 155
22 = 160
23 = 165
24 = 170
25 = 175
26 = 180
27 = 185
28 = 190
29 = 195
30 = 200
31 = 205
32 = 210
33 = 215
34 = 220
35 = 225
36 = 230
37 = 235
38 = 240 (born genius, trained to perfection, not yet publicly known)
39 = 245
40 = 250
41 = 255
42 = 260 (OK, this is really the limit. No one understands you anymore.)

BTW - anyone seen Good Will Hunting? Has anyone considered such INT as a handicap, esp. if the person cannot communicate any higher ideas to his community?

Sort of like the reason Pietro/Quicksilver admitted he was angry all the time: "Angry? Why am I angry? Imagine if you will, ALWAYS being in the slowest lane in a supermarket, ALWAYS standing behind some person who is moving at 1/4 speed or less and always having to talk with people who cannot finish a sentence before you finish twenty different thoughts!"

That ability could have its own built-in weakness, if you follow me.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2009 at 1:59pm by »  

IP Logged

Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Reply #34 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
STR: 24END: 30AGI: 36

Are these stats based on real-world research too, like the intelligence notes? There's a circus strong guy in Organized Crimes with a 26 strength. We just ran through that module.

Wait--but he's 3rd level, so maybe that's okay if he trained in Strength.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2009 at 2:06pm by Dyna Girl »  

IP Logged

Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Reply #35 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:52pm:
Yeah, it's a thin line between genius and insanity. 

After reading this thread, it occurs to me that some people can go out of their way to come across as a heckler. Putting smiley faces at the end of every needlessly sarcastic comment doesn't make it any less true.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #36 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 1:28am
Print Post  
No need to revive a dead argument.  Lets focus on the fun stuff.

IP Logged

Sylver Nightwind
Avenger

Reply #37 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 1:32am
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 6:16pm:

HEY!  I just saw this!  I don't think you have lowered intelligence at all honey... *giggles*

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #38 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
That means that the word innate above the V&V POWERS table is not synonymous with inborn (dictionary definitions aside). Rather, innate in this context distinguishes these super powers from devices, magic items, magic/psionics, and extraordinary learned skills.

Not trying to nitpick, and I didn't bring my rulebook to work today, but I'm thinking the description of devices is inclusive of some of those powers that are gained by some other method - super soldier formula or whatnot.  If I'm remembering correctly, this would lean toward the counter point of your position.  That innate does equal born with as opposed to acquired later.

I'm willing to admit that I might be eating my foot when I get home tonight and take a look at the rules.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #39 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:02pm
Print Post  

My submission to the short-lived project "Most Wanted 2" - a web-based character supplement, was named Blister.  He had lowered intelligence and was basically an animal.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #40 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:02pm:

My submission to the short-lived project "Most Wanted 2" - a web-based character supplement, was named Blister.  He had lowered intelligence and was basically an animal.

'Submission'?
Do you have anything you could share?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #41 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I'll dig out the weblink tonight after I get home.  There were quite a few characters submitted and posted on the web, I hope they aren't gone.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #42 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:01pm:
Not trying to nitpick, and I didn't bring my rulebook to work today, but I'm thinking the description of devices is inclusive of some of those powers that are gained by some other method - super soldier formula or whatnot.If I'm remembering correctly, this would lean toward the counter point of your position.That innate does equal born with as opposed to acquired later.
Are you saying, that--theoretically speaking--the Fantastic Four and Hulk rolled their powers on the Devices table instead of Powers. Is that what you're saying?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #43 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:28pm:
Not trying to nitpick, and I didn't bring my rulebook to work today, but I'm thinking the description of devices is inclusive of some of those powers that are gained by some other method - super soldier formula or whatnot.If I'm remembering correctly, this would lean toward the counter point of your position.That innate does equal born with as opposed to acquired later.
Are you saying, that--theoretically speaking--the Fantastic Four and Hulk rolled their powers on the Devices table instead of Powers. Is that what you're saying?

Okay, first, I cannot find the reference I thought was there.  Not sure where I got that.  Second, that is my feeling on the matter - that the FF and Hulk got their powers from Devices - scientifically synthesized superpowers.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:51pm by Imaginos »  

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #44 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:50pm:
Okay, first, I cannot find the reference I thought was there.Not sure where I got that.Second, that is my feeling on the matter - that the FF and Hulk got their powers from Devices - scientifically synthesized superpowers. 
Just for clarity, then, would that also include someone like Wally West, who was accidentally struck by a Lightning Bolt?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #45 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Okay, thinking about this. No, Fantastic Four would not be devices.  They were struck by a cosmic ray (not scientifically sythesized).  Same for Wally.  The Hulk could be argued either way, depending on whether you go comic book or tv series.  Comic book, powers.  TV series, devices.

Captain America - devices
Wolverine - powers and devices

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #46 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:04pm:
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:02pm:

'Submission'?
Do you have anything you could share?

Here is the website to the project:
http://mostwantedtwo.iwarp.com/

Here is my character Blister:
http://mostwantedtwo.iwarp.com/blister.htm

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #47 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:17pm:
the word innate above the V&V POWERS table is not synonymous with inborn (dictionary definitions aside)....

...a loose definition to the word learned is only fair

I guess I'm just a purist.
Happy to agree to disagree. 

It sounds like Dr. Foom is of the mindset that the Powers table only describes innate = inborn abilities, based on the snappy reply from earlier in this thread. That being the case, which table would Flash and the Fantastic Four get their powers from. Were they born with them on the "I guess I'm a purist" Powers table? Or did they get them from another table.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:21pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #48 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:12pm:
It sounds like Dr. Foom is of the mindset that the Powers table only describes innate = inborn abilities, based on the snappy reply from earlier in this thread. That being the case, which table would Flash and the Fantastic Four get their powers from. Were they born with them on the "I guess I'm a purist" Powers table? Or did they get them from another table. 

Eric's position on devices is one that's never crossed my mind. It does make sense. I have trouble with it because the category is still called "Devices." But it's a really interesting thought.

Re: 'innate:' I guess I would say that all inborn powers are innate powers, but not all innate powers are inborn, if that makes sense. I always saw the FF as having innate powers, and having gotten their powers from the Powers table rather than the Devices table, fwiw.

How is it that interpretations of these rules can still be interesting after 30 years?!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:41pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #49 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:04pm:
Here is my character Blister:
http://mostwantedtwo.iwarp.com/blister.htm ;

Great site! Wow.
Thanks for linking.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #50 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
If you didn't spot the reference in the revised rules, any chance you were thinking of the Designed/Sponsored table from the original rules? That table would fit Captain America--and it includes abilities that we might describe as skills, powers, and devices.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #51 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 2:13am
Print Post  
I always thought that a power was something you do with your body, like Spider Man or Superman.  A device is something out side your body, like the webshooters or Cap's shield.

I never took into account HOW you got your powers.  So if a guy invented a machine that bathed you in rays so you could strech, you would have the POWER of stretching because you do it yourself.   If you wore an exoskeleton that let you stretch, and you could not stretch unless you wore this suit, then it was a device.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #52 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 9:36pm:
If you didn't spot the reference in the revised rules, any chance you were thinking of the Designed/Sponsored table from the original rules? That table would fit Captain America--and it includes abilities that we might describe as skills, powers, and devices.

I was probably misremembering or getting it confused with another ruleset.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #53 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 7:01pm:
Captain America - devices

While his Shield (and possibly lightweight Armor) would qualify as Devices, I see Cap as being mostly Skills, although some would qualify as Powers (from the super-solider serum).

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #54 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
But in comic books, people are born with Cosmic Awareness and Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B at an alarming rate. Superpowers from the "Powers" chart in V&V are called "innate super abilities." I don't know if you need to be a full blown Mutant to have been born a genius in a comic book or in V&V. 
Here's the part I don't get. You keep coming back again and again about how Powers is the best table to describe characters born with Heightened Intelligence. Then you bring up that comics have people born with Heightened Intelligence, Telepathy, and Cosmic Awareness at an alarming rate. But Cosmic Awareness isn't even on the Powers table, it's on Magic/Psionics. I can see how others had a hard time following your argument when you altered the table you were talking about mid-stream.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2009 at 6:55pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #55 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:32pm
Print Post  

Rick wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 6:52pm:
Then you bring up that comics have people born with Heightened Intelligence, Telepathy, and Cosmic Awareness at an alarming rate. But Cosmic Awareness isn't even on the Powers table, it's on Magic/Psionics.

Hi Rick,
I mentioned those powers specifically because someone called those out as examples of powers people can't be born with in the real world, iirc.
So I was just saying that you can be born with them in comic books.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #56 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I can't hink of one person in comics or TV who has cosmic awareness the way it works in the game. There are psychics and telepaths, but I don't know of heroes who ask yes/no questions and get results anything like the way it works in the rulebook.

Who are all the characters in comics born with cosmic awareness? I want to read up on them. Thanks.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #57 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:06am
Print Post  
But in comic books, people are born with Cosmic Awareness and Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B at an alarming rate.

Can you tell me some comics where people are born with cosmic awareness at an alarming rate? I haven't found them yet and want to learn.

I want to read more examples of that power in comics to help me in the game. None of the psychics in comics seem to have cosmic awareness the way it works in V&V. And the stories with people who say they have cosmic awareness also don't have the power the way it works in the game.

Where can I go to read about all the people born with cosmic awareness V&V style? If they are old issues, are they collected together in Essential volumes. Thanks for your assistance.

P.S. If I find out now, I might still be able to get some of the comics for christmas.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:08am by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #58 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Starhawk is the "One Who Knows".

So is Mantis, and maybe Layla Miller.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #59 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:21pm:
Now anyone want to take a stab atan Ode to Heightened Charisma A? 

John gets Heightened Charisma A and B for taking time to answer my question and helping me out! Smiley 

18 + 20 + 30 + 10 levels of training as moderator gives you 78 charisma. Cool

I'll see if my uncle or friends have any comics with those characters. I want to read some issues where people use cosmic awareness in a way that matches V&V. It helps me to see the power in action, not just read about it in theory.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #60 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the delay. Crazy time of year.

Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 21st, 2009 at 9:58pm:
I want to read some issues where people use cosmic awareness in a way that matches V&V.

I'm not aware of it, even though they are both called "Cosmic Awareness."
I think the reason is simply the differing formats. Comics are visual, so they use visions or pictures to depict these kinds of abilities rather than 'yes or no' dialogue with an all knowing source.
But in the game, the GM is the all knowing source, more or less, so there it will occur with dialogue or questions. Also, I think they put limits on it in V&V to make it playable in a game. In comics, it's a story element or deus ex machina.

Most examples of folks born with the power are alien races or cosmic beings like John's example above or Polar Boy's great Santa thread.

Belated welcome to the boards.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:27pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #61 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:18pm:
But in the game, the GM is the all knowing source, more or less, so there it will occur with dialogue or questions. Also, I think they put limits on it in V&V to make it playable in a game. In comics, it's a story element or deus ex machina.

Bummer. I was hoping you knew of a lot of comics where a lot of people are born with cosmic awareness like it works in the game since the thread examples were about game distinctions (A vs. B) that nobody talks about in comics.

So I guess people in comics really aren't born with V&V cosmic awareness all the time. That's okay, I guess. At least I don't feel dumb for not being able to think of anyone who fit.

I saw the thread about Santa Claus but he's not a superhero and its arguable whether or not he was born with his powers.

No big deal, I guess.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #62 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:34pm:
So I guess people in comics really aren't born with V&V cosmic awareness all the time. 

Where did I say "V&V cosmic awareness?"

I think I see your mistake. You've pulled a line out of context. Folks are born with Cosmic Awareness in comics, as opposed to real life, which is what the quote was referring to.

And Santa will always be a hero to me.
Happy holidays.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:57pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #63 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:47pm:
Where did I say "V&V cosmic awareness?" 

I did not take you out of context. The only one taking you out of context is yourself.

This whole thread has been about which tables powers come from. This whole thread has been about game terms when translating characters (or real people).

eLock introduced cosmic awareness into the thread in game terms.

eLock wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 3:57pm:
The B-option requires a superhuman origin--the same type of origin that might produce Cosmic Awareness (from the Psionics table) or Adaption (from the Powers table). Humans are not inherently born with Telepahty and Flight, and they are not inherently born with Heightened Intelligence B.

It was reasonable to think that when eLock brought up cosmic awareness (and heightened intelligence B, etc.) in game terms, and you responded with a "but" comment about cosmic awareness and heightened intelligence B, that you meant game terms as applied to comics. ... Otherwise your comment wouldn't have made any sense, since characters in comics don't talk about A/B intelligence but you used that V&V language when discussing people born with powers in comics.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 3:16am by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #64 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I'm going to have to agree with Captain Kurt on this one, Doctor Foom.  From what you said, character is comics "are born with Cosmic Awareness at an alarming rate".  Unfortunately, none of us here seem to be able to rattle off a list of people with this power (comic book style or V&V type), so it seems to be a pretty rare power (in either medium).

The only character I remember seeing with this ability was a Captain Marvel variant in the Avengers Forever maxiseries.  But - as Doctor Foom said - it's tough to show this power in a comic book, so they end up making references to a character 'consulting the cosmos' or 'being one with the universe' or somesuch.  There's not much way to show what's going on inside a character's head, other than what we see in thought bubbles.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #65 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 6:35pm:
There's not much way to show what's going on inside a character's head, other than what we see in thought bubbles.
That remark makes me smile, Majestic  Smiley, since we see thought balloons all the time in comics. It's like saying it's hard to know what color a hero's costume happens to be, other than what we see in the pictures.  Smiley But I know what you meant.  Smiley I'll try to track down Captain Marvel like you suggested. Thanks, Majestic. You have a Merry Christmas!  Cool

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:29am by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #66 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
No comic character has cosmic awarness like the V&V rules, thats why  I tweaked them.

From my House Rules:

Cosmic Awareness; Pr=0.  Remains one action.   The character saves Id100.  Each question lowers the intelligence by one.  The harder the question, the GM may lower the I score as they see fit. The player can concentrate harder (EI spend extra power) and increase their I score for purposes of that save on a one per one basis.  If the die roll is less than the I score for the roll, they get the answer. If it misses by up to 50, they get nothing.  If they miss up to 75 they get the wrong answer.  If they miss up to 100, they are overwhelmed with the universe and go into a trance. They save Id20 per hour to awaken.  If they miss over 100, then they are in the trance, but they have gain the attention of some Cosmic Power.  This can be good or bad!

This to me seems to be more in line with Captain Marvel, Mantis, Starhawk mabye Adam Warlock.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #67 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks, John. Merry Christmas!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #68 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:18am:
There's not much way to show what's going on inside a character's head, other than what we see in thought bubbles.
That remark makes me smile, Majestic  Smiley, since we see thought balloons all the time in comics. It's like saying it's hard to know what color a hero's costume happens to be, other than what we see in the pictures.  Smiley But I know what you meant.  Smiley I'll try to track down Captain Marvel like you suggested. Thanks, Majestic. You have a Merry Christmas!  Cool

Yes, I probably wasn't as clear with that as I meant to be.  Of course we can see the exact contents of what is shown, but what I meant was:

Even though we see some of what a character is thinking (via thought bubbles), it doesn't mean we're privvy to everything going on "inside" that character.  In other words, Spider-Man might say "Holy cow, that was close" (when a bullet goes whizzing by his head), but there's no real way to gauge whether he felt exhilerated, scared out of his mind, petrified beyond belief, or hardly worried.  And even if the writer and artist convey to us the proper emotion (via body language, facial expression, and dialog), we still don't really know - let's say on a scale of 1 to 10 - whether that fear is at a "3" or a "9".

So we see some of what they are thinking and feeling, but we rarely get the whole of what's going in their noggins (with some wordy writers like Chris Claremont, we might see 90% of it, though).    Grin

Hopefully that explains what I meant a little better.    Smiley

And Merry Christmas to you, too (and to everyone else here!).    Smiley

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #69 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
From what you said, character is comics "are born with Cosmic Awareness at an alarming rate". Unfortunately, none of us here seem to be able to rattle off a list of people with this power (comic book style or V&V type), so it seems to be a pretty rare power (in either medium).

Hi Majestic,
Actually, what I said was 'people are born with Cosmic Awareness and Telepathy and Heightened Intelligence B at an alarming rate.'  Smiley

Comicbook style Cosmic Awareness: there are a bunch of examples. Just in this thread so far:

Santa Claus (who has appeared in comics)  Wink
Starhawk
Mantis
Captain Marvel
Adam Warlock

Also:
The Watcher Uatu and his people might be good candidates for a race that are born with Cosmic Awareness.

Epoch was born with Cosmic Awareness

Genis Vel, aka Legacy or Photon was born with Cosmic Awareness

And a number of sorcerous characters and cosmic celestial beings (Anomaly, Eternity) have it.
And these don't include the DC comics examples because my knowledge there is lacking.
Smiley

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #70 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:39pm:
Comicbook style Cosmic Awareness: there are a bunch of examples. 

What is comicbook style cosmic awareness? I don't know any of the examples above except the watcher? I don't hear that term used much? Does it mean psychic? Like Destiny of the old Brotherhood and Dream Girl of the legion? Or Guinan from Star Trek? Or a crystal ball? Or omniscient? There are lots of those characters in comics. Is that cosmic awareness?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #71 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Kurt,
No one knows what cosmic awarness comic style is.  It is undefined.  Its like trying to define the power cosmic.   Once the word cosmic is used as a descriptor,  all definitions are moot.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #72 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
And for the record,  when reading a post from now on  just assume the post was written with the best of inflections.   Do no just assume someone is being snarky, mean or argumentative unless you are positive it is so.    You bring your own baggage with you when you read a post.  So when reading a post, and you think its is the start of something argumentative, just ask.  No harm in that.    This goes for everyone and no one in particular.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #73 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:47pm:
What is comicbook style cosmic awareness?

I've just been saying "comic book style cosmic awareness" as shorthand for when, in a comic, they actually say: 'so and so has cosmic awareness.'

So iirc, that goes for:
Starhawk
Captain Marvel (Mar-Vel)
Adam Warlock
Epoch
Genis Vel, aka Legacy or Photon
Eternity
Anomaly
and lots of other characters created in the 70s.

The rules on this power are, I believe, the closest thing the creators could get to "comic book style CA " in an rpg game with some balance, so that omniscience in the hands of a PC doesn't get out of control.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:14pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #74 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I think I see your mistake. You've pulled a line out of context.

Well then I should ask then if that line about me making a mistake was supposed to be snarky or mean? How was I supposed to know I was taking something out of context when the context was unclear? You were talking about a game term Heightened Intelligence B at the same time as cosmic awareness (which you didn't mean in game terms). I can't read minds. How was I supposed to know what you meant?  Cry

Were you trying to be argumentative or make me look bad by saying that I made the mistake and took something out of context?
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:23pm by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #75 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:16pm:
I can't read minds. How was I supposed to know what you meant?

Mind reading is a different power.  Wink

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #76 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:16pm:
I think I see your mistake. You've pulled a line out of context.

Well then I should ask then if that line about me making a mistake was supposed to be snarky or mean? How was I supposed to know I was taking something out of context when the context was unclear? You were talking about a game term Heightened Intelligence B at the same time as cosmic awareness (which you didn't mean in game terms). I can't read minds. How was I supposed to know what you meant?  Cry

Were you trying to be argumentative or make me look bad by saying that I made the mistake and took something out of context? 

Lets just chalk this up to a misunderstanding and move on.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #77 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:22pm:
Mind reading is a different power. 

I know that mind reading is a different power.

What are you trying to say by responding to my question with that comment?

I can't tell what you mean.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:35pm by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #78 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:26pm:
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:22pm:
Mind reading is a different power. 

I know that. What are you trying to say?

I was just trying to make a joke!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #79 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I don't know of anyone on this board who tries to be hostile toward anyone else.  As a matter of fact, I'd read any message on here in the best light possible, as we're a pretty friendly bunch.  Nobody is trying to make jokes at the other guy's expense.

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Yeah - the internet - she is a harsh communicator at times.

Cosmic Awareness - basically a form of supernatural foreknowledge or prescience is very difficult to define much less emulate in game play. (As challenging as Green Lantern's power ring for example).

I am bit fond of John's re-write, though I have not studied it exhaustively. I think three factors ought to help the PC 'Get the right answer' from the cosmos:

1) Level of experience of Questioner
2) Int and Cha (or Will)
3) Level of threat/effect

It functions as a GM's fiat if he or she so wishes.

Quote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi: [looks distressed - probably took a 3d10 power drain]
Luke: Ben! What's wrong?!
Obi-Wan Kenobi: I just felt a terrible disturbance in The Force... as if a million voices cried out at once and were silenced. I believe something terrible has happened...

In the comics Dr. Foom mentioned above, we find that they are all rather obscure NPCs - with a few notable entities - like Uatu, the Watcher.

I suspect this is more of an NPC power (like Death Touch should be) and is to be handled gently when used by true PCs.

That said, I think it easy to get frustrated on this topic - just cause of the gooeyness of the subject.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #81 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:18pm:
Most examples of folks born with the power are alien races or cosmic beings like John's example above or Polar Boy's great Santa thread.

Just to clarify, I've never described St. Nick as someone born with cosmic awareness. I simply described how he might use the ability. It's a minor point, but I don't want anyone to jump to the wrong conclusions about my take on the origin of Kris Kringle.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2009 at 9:32am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Oh no sweat. No Earth-shattering conclusions made!

I'm sure, like the Phantom Stranger, Kris Kringle has MULTIPLE possibilities of origins.

I  - like so many others - just like the logical and perfectly in character power usage for that jolly old elf!

[Ain't Theology 405 or anything!]

Cheesy

BTW - MERRRYYYYYY CHRISTMASSSS!

[dons Red Cap of Spiritual Insight (Cosmic Awareness device)]

"...now, has John been NAUGHTY this year...?"

Wink

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #83 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Great explaination of a basically unexplainable power.  And I totally agree with you about Cosmic Awarness being a passive thing in the comics and an active thing in the game. 
   For example,  I had a character called Starchild ( hey, i was 12 and loved KISS, so cut me a break) and  who was modelled after Adam Warlock. He had cosmic awarness in a gem he had on his mace.   Well all it did was allow the GM to pull me around as if I was on an invisible leash.  I eventually gave up the character cause I felt he didn't have any control over himself.  I was just an extension of the GM. 
   So you are absoultly correct.  Good call.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #84 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Yes, good points, Chimaera (good to see you back here, btw!).

I couldn't really articulate why it was so different, but I think Chimaera has pointed out exactly what it is that is different - passive vs. active.

An additional problem - not so much a problem as it relates comparing the game version to the comics model, but one from a game-balance perspective - is how this power can be used to circumvent the GMs plots and stories.  A clever player (or group of players, working in tandem) can use this "yes/no dynamic" to establish almost anything.  Our PCs recently tracked down where the villain base was all by using 'yes'/'no' questions that established what continent, what part of the continent, etc.

Certainly other powers can be "abusive" in this regard as well (Mind Control, Telepathy, etc.), but this one especially has proven to us to be problematic as written.  I think changing it to more of a passive ability serves not only to make it more like what we see in comics; it also makes it a more balanced way to tell a story and function as a way for the GM to communicate things to the players.

IP Logged

>