Poll
Poll Question: Do you play combat as written in the rules?
bars   pie

Absolutely! Not even varying a hair!    
  2 (22.2%)
For the most part - with some changes    
  7 (77.8%)
What are you, crazy? I rewrote combat!    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 9
« Last Modified by: Imaginos on: Dec 16th, 2009 at 4:37pm »
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Do you use the combat rules as written? (Read 4559 times)
Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Do you use the combat rules as written?
Dec 16th, 2009 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Okay, I'm interested in knowing how close folks follow to the combat rules.  Do you do everything straight by the book?  Do you have some things you've tossed out?  Did you totally revamp the system?

For the purposes of this, combat rules include everything from the combat table, to level vs level, to range, to facing, to knock-out %, etc...  Basically, everything.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Re: Do you use the combat rules as written?
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I use it with some changes.

For example, I never typically used the level vs level adjustments just because I rarely sent folks up against higher or lower level characters.  I rarely use facing as I tended more toward abstraction.  Knockout chances were typically not used unless someone was trying for a specific effect.

On the flip side, I loved using evasion to represent those characters that can flip and flip to avoid getting hit.  Rolling with the punch saved more than one character, and knockback knocked out more than one.

An area that I wish I had applied more but did not was the chance for a bad effect when you miss.  We just used a "20" meant you had to roll, largely because it speeded things up so much.  But using this helped simulate the collateral damage that accumulates in so many comic battles.

In case people aren't familiar with it, anytime you miss in combat, you are supposed to roll % to see if a significant effect happens (don't all have to be bad).  The chance for it to occur is equal to the power's base attack score (so 16% for power blast).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I almost feel like I cheated, as I voted that we don't modify it at all.  The truth is we use the combat system entirely as written.

We have a modified Experience Point chart, though, so the bonuses for varying level are much less (so we might have a -1 where the rulebook had a -5 or something).

Other than that, we use the rulebook as written for combat.  The powers vs. powers chart, Power spent for facing changes, the range chart (which hardly ever comes into play), velocity bonuses (if applicable), HtH chart as shown, powers as shown in the rules, 4x knockout if a head shot, unconsciousness (and incapacitated) rules as written, etc.

Oh, and our Evasion is different than what they show.  So we're probably 85-90% of the entire V&V combat package as shown in the rulebook (not enough for me to consider it to be much in the way of "changes").

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 16th, 2009 at 4:46pm:
An area that I wish I had applied more but did not was the chance for a bad effect when you miss.  We just used a "20" meant you had to roll, largely because it speeded things up so much.  But using this helped simulate the collateral damage that accumulates in so many comic battles.

In case people aren't familiar with it, anytime you miss in combat, you are supposed to roll % to see if a significant effect happens (don't all have to be bad).  The chance for it to occur is equal to the power's base attack score (so 16% for power blast).

We've always used this (as I said before, we use the vast majority of the system) and find this to be one of the most outstanding features of V&V!  The percentage amount (for those that don't know or don't use this part of the rules) is based on the number on the combat chart.  So if a HtH attack misses, one only has a 5% chance of something else happening (we call this a 'coincidental hit' - I was shocked one day recently to read through the rulebook and find that this wasn't the official name); if someone misses with a Power Blast, however, it goes up to a 16% chance! (though one will miss less often with this much more accurate attack form, I assume the blast itself is wider and bigger than the typical fist or foot).

This rule leads to all sorts of fun and interesting things happening in our games.  A sword might go flying out of someone's hands, or they might blast the water tower behind the villain, or the aversary might stumble and fall off of the roof!  Lots of fun figuring out what will happen (GM's call).

This reminds me of what I call "Jason's rule".  A good friend I played with in High School always wanted to implement a rule where - if you rolled a nautral "20" - one's chance of an "incidental hit" were doubled!  My players can attest to the fact that - each and every time they roll a 20 and the roll is barely over what was needed (let's say they roll an "08" on a HtH miss) I say "Good thing we're not using Jason's rules!"    Grin

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
When I played tabletop, we used almost all of the combat rules as written.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Reading it again, and with the other stuff I thought of (as I mentioned above), I guess I'd change my vote (since we do modify it by more than a hair!)   Smiley

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 16th, 2009 at 7:00pm:

It sounds like you no longer play tabletop. How does that work? Do you have a different table? Or do you wing it on the fly. I've heard of some DMs doing that.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 12:31am:
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 16th, 2009 at 7:00pm:

It sounds like you no longer play tabletop. How does that work? Do you have a different table? Or do you wing it on the fly. I've heard of some DMs doing that.

I don't mean to speak for others, but I think what most people mean when they say that is that they don't actually sit down and play around a table anymore (i.e., no more "face to face").  They play only on a computer, usually via PBEM or Play-by-Post.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:32pm:
I don't mean to speak for others, but I think what most people mean when they say that is that they don't actually sit down and play around a table anymore (i.e., no more "face to face").  They play only on a computer, usually via PBEM or Play-by-Post.

Even if you don't sit around a literal table, do you still use the same combat table and roll dice? Or do you use a different system?

Or does the GM just wing it since there's no one around to see th die rolls anyway?

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
When I ran the game I remember we couldn't figure out the combat table, or something like that, so we just made it up.  Now I can't remember how we made it up, but we sure had fun Wink

In the end, I think the combat table, while very cool, sort of represents something that I prefer a more active part of, using your powers as a defense.

With the combat table I get the impression, much like D&D, the idea was that there are a number of things just sort of happening in a round.

Using the combat table of a Ice Power vs a Flame Power I get a result of 0.  This I supposed represents them canceling each other out.  Or that the flame guy blasts the ice attack or some such.  While very comic book, I would prefer my players made that move themselves.

Now it could well be that I am reading that all wrong, but that's certainly how it feels to me.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
AslanC,

You only get your defense on the table if you have it activated unless it is a power that provides an automatic defense.  In some cases, such as Power Blast, it represents the defender blasting the attack before getting struck (and paying the PR for it).  In others, such as Flame Powers, it represents the defense being of a nature that protects from the attack.  Fire melting the ice before it strikes.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Okay I get that.

Still why should Ice negate Fore or vice/versa?  In most comics they are nemesis to each other and the first one to get the shot in usually takes the other one out.

How many times has Human Torch been frozen or watered or fire extinguished?

Vice/versa I am sure Iceman and Pyro must have tussled at least once and I can't imagine it was a stalemate. Wink

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Well, in the movies anyway Bobby ended up on top in that confrontation.  Since they weren't really nemises as they were in the movies...

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I modify it a bit, trying to streamline all the resolutions - and adding some drama! Cheesy

First, I simplify the Level vs. Level to this: for every two complete levels of difference, there is a +1/-1 modifier. So no difference between 3rd and 4th level, but a +1/-1 between 3rd and 5th. In general this follows the basic chart barring a few exceptions.

Second, Force Field is no longer a defense on the table, but more of an "Invulnerability field" of 2 pts per power point spent, each turn.

I am currently turning all 'interceptor' defenses (say Power Blast) which need a saved Action to blast incoming attacks into a 'damage reducing blast.'

That is, you roll to hit (considering any passive defenses, naturally). If you hit - and the PC has a saved action - they can blast the attack, reducing the damage inflicted by the attack they use.

So if you blast with Ice Powers and they defend with Power Blast, you roll a 1d12 plus bonuses and they roll 1d20 plus bonuses to reduce your damage.

Whoever got the most damage wins

As for the Natural "20" critical fumble - yeah I use what Majestic calls the 'Jason rule.' I double the chance of something bad happening based on their original roll to hit.

Conversely on rolling a natural "1" - if it was not the ONLY way a PC could hit - the PC does FULL DAMAGE.

What? You do not think you are ever going to roll 30 on 3d10 do you?

Wink

Also, I am taking Psionics off of the standard [physical] combat table. I do a triple-threat Psi check of mind vs. mind to show the speed of psionic combat.

I am sorely tempted to reduce the combat to "roll 11 or less" but I think we lose too much of the system's flavor then.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I am sorely tempted to reduce the combat to "roll 11 or less" but I think we lose too much of the system's flavor then.

Just use that base 11 table I emailed you.  That keeps the flavor of defenses affecting attack chance to hit - it actually keeps the proportion of the original.

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Base 11 table?

Can we all see it? Smiley

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Sure.  I had to take a screenshot of the excel file and post that, but here it is.  The excel version is also hosted on the yahoo group.  This one includes Darkforce Generation and Will, whcih were not on the original table, but added for my campaign.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2009 at 5:46pm by Imaginos »  

Base_11_combat_table.JPG ( 112 KB | 5 Downloads )
Base_11_combat_table.JPG

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
So unless specified everything needs and 11 or lower to hit, correct?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Correct

IP Logged

AslanC
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Forgive my ignorance on this, but why is HTH vs Magnetics a 0?

This is the stuff that always confused me in V&V.

Not trying to be a pain, just trying to understand how the logic of it works

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Typically in the comics, a moderately powerful energy casting PC or NPC would have enough of a "field effect" around them to insure they would not be bothered by handguns, mere fists, etc. (Magneto, the Human Torch, etc. )

In V&V it is assumed this effect serves as a limited force field or deflection screen, making the NPC/PC harder to be hit on the front end.

That's how I understood it, back in the day.

P.S. Eric - thanks again. I was just looking at the items you'd sent today, in fact.

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2009 at 12:49am by »  

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #21 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Aslan, I'm pretty much with Justice on the explanation.

Picture the character in a comic book, waves of energy flowing around them, repelling enemies.  Maybe the magnetic field works against Hand to Hand because it rejects the iron in a person's blood.  You could rationalize it several ways like that.

However, if your character wouldn't be affected by a magnetic field, the GM can give you the full chance to hit.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #22 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Yes, these guys did a good job of explaining what that reduction to 0 means (the effect that inspires such a low number).

Keep in mind that taking something to a "0" does NOT mean that they cannot be hit by that.

It simply means that - if you start out with an attack like a Power Blast - you're reducing that 16 down to a 0 (i.e., it's the equivalent of four Heightened Defenses, sort of).  But unlike Heightened Defense(s), where a character might duck or dodge out of the way, this huge minus simply reflects the attack harmlessly impacting on the field/energy/whatever.

So if you have a Magneto-type who is Level 16 attacking a level 4 hero, and he's got an Accuracy of +3 and he's trained five levels with his Magnetics, and in addition he's got a Heightened Expertise with his Magnetic Powers, then that 13 to 0 is suddenly no big deal.

I don't have my rulebook handy (and we don't use the Level vs. Level chart as shown), so - assuming it's something like a +6 due to Level, he still gets:

4 - from his Heightened Expertise
5 - from his training
6 - due to Level
3 - from his Accuracy

And he still has a "18" or less to hit rolling a 1d20.  Make his attack from above, which gives a bonus of +4, or even from the side (+2) and now - even though the opponent's defense has taken his "13" to a "0", he still only 'misses' (i.e., doesn't do damage to his target) on a roll of a "20".

Make sense?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #23 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
This, however, is one of the points of debate that has gone one.

My old group used the table as the starting point, as Majestic says above.  And per the rules, this makes the most sense.  Because if you don't do it this way, if a chance to hit is changed from 16 to 11, then everyone would have an 11 to hit, no matter their bonuses or such.

However, the flip side says that a 0 means no chance to hit.  So anything above can be modified to hit, but a 0 is a 0 and cannot be modified.  I was almost swayed to this line of thinking, until I just tossed that bit above regarding an attack that is modified but not nullified to 0.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 6:14pm:
This, however, is one of the points of debate that has gone one.

My old group used the table as the starting point, as Majestic says above.  And per the rules, this makes the most sense.  Because if you don't do it this way, if a chance to hit is changed from 16 to 11, then everyone would have an 11 to hit, no matter their bonuses or such.

However, the flip side says that a 0 means no chance to hit.  So anything above can be modified to hit, but a 0 is a 0 and cannot be modified.  I was almost swayed to this line of thinking, until I just tossed that bit above regarding an attack that is modified but not nullified to 0.

I knew one group that played this way, but have found nothing in the rules that hints that 'taking it to a "0" means you can't ever get a higher number than that'.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #25 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I've pondered this as well, trying to explain how a even a thug with a baseball bat can hit a non-corporeal character with a "1."  I guess truly anything is possible?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #26 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 7:50pm:
I've pondered this as well, trying to explain how a even a thug with a baseball bat can hit a non-corporeal character with a "1."  I guess truly anything is possible?

Yeah, some game systems don't allow that, and I guess I can understand.  The way I rationalize it is this:

A non-corporeal character in comics, like Kitty Pride or Vision (I suppose his might be Vibratory) can often solidify some of their body, often enough to grab someone or something.  I reason that that "1" (or other low number from an accurate combatant) is just their body being a tiny bit materialized.  In other words, even if MOST of the molecules are slipping through their body, perhaps a bit of the energy is getting through, or maybe 1 out of every 10 molecules is being impacted.

This logic doesn't work as well when you have someone who is so ghost-like that they can't even physically pick up a piece of paper (like Astral Projection), but for most cases it still makes a bit of sense.  As we talked about in another thread, the thing that does damage is usually the speed of an object (moreso than the brute force), so I can imagine that some kinetic damage could result from something passing through even a non-corporeal form, when it's fast enough.

For gameplay purposes, it still makes it fun when one has at least a tiny chance of hitting.  Even if you know you have to roll a "1", at least it gives you some hope.  Knowing that you can't possibly harm an opponent can be extremely frustrating.  Note that I don't think this should always apply; I think a good GM will occasionally throw an adversary at his or her players that is immune to all physical damage (perhaps due to magic or whatever).  But as "common" as non-corporeal, vibratory, astral, etc. characters are in V&V, it would mean a lot of frustration for many players.

At least in the groups I've played in, the majority have had physical characters (by physical I mean meat and potatoes superpowers as are rolled on the Powers and Skills tables).  If magic and/or psionic characters are common (and able to damage said ghostly foes), then it might not be as big of a deal for a particular GM.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #27 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I think I'd rule it this way, at least for noncorporealness...

If the non-corp character is interacting in physical combat (anything but psionic based) or if they do not have life support (for self-contained breathing), then the chance to hit them can be modified up from 0.  If they are not interacting physically and can hold their breath (or have life support), the chance will be 0 as they are not physically interacting with the real world.

Other powers I would have to consider on a case by case basis, but I don't see any that have that same safety net on first glance.  With other powers, I'd let the chance be modified from 0.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #28 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
We always played that you can modify zero. The other version never dawned on us.

IP Logged

>