Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Creating heroes vs. creating villains? (Read 2171 times)
Troy
Teen Titan

Creating heroes vs. creating villains?
Jan 13th, 2010 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
This one's directed at GMs? Do you find it easier to create NPC villains or NPC heroes? How does your approach differ when developing an evil villain vs. a good hero? Or, are there ways that it doesn't make much of a difference which side of the law a character happens to be on?

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: Creating heroes vs. creating villains?
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Hey Troy,
Welcome to the boards.

With a villain I'm more likely to think of them in terms of the centerpiece for an adventure.
And many of my NPC heroes tend to be characters I'd like to play as a PC.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Personally, I find it easier to create villains, as I don't have to worry about them stealing the PC's thunder, during the course of play. But, as a campaign develops, it becomes easier for me to create NPCs, for characters to interact with.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I'd have to say it's easier for me to create villains, though I can't really articulate why.

It might be because it's 99% of what I do; with so many PCs (we've had up to 10 at one time) - and with most of them having secondary and tertiary characters as well - it's rare that we have need of NPC heroes.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I come up with a name, and work on it from there.  I don't usually roll anything for NPCs. I just assign them based on how powerful the players are when I make them up.

If I really like them, then I turn them good.  But this is before I use them.    Once they are used,  I try to be consistant with them.   They go up a level every few times I use them so that they can stay a threat to the players.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
I've had real good luck using the method from the rulebook (though I find that - perhaps because it's in the back of the rulebook - many/most V&V players are unfamiliar with it) to raise the levels of NPCs.

It works really well to not only determine the level of NPC bad guys (usually a few levels higher to challenge the PCs), but also to incrementally move them up in various things, like Charisma, inventions, other Basic Characteristics, etc.

IP Logged

Agent Canada
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:24am
Print Post  
  I have always found it easier to create the villains, simply because you can write that first story around the main villain. This establishes them and any odd bits become part of their character. I try and make my villains as straight as possible, pumping them up with inventions as I go
Like take a water based villain:
  Put him up against a team without swimmers and he becomes extra dangerous even if he doesn't really have any  offensive abilities.
Surround him with thugs and maybe an underwater lair and bam! instant super crime lord.

A hero on the other hand may show up in any campaign at any time, so the hero has to be a little more well rounded. I tend to watch the hero's training and weaknesses more.

IP Logged

Agent Canada
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Ooops sorry forgot to finish my example.

So a villain may have a small selection of powers or just rolled poorly but since he's starting at a higher level it's easy enough to invent some small enhancements:
Water based villain - Eel Commando
(1) Scalemail armor: Light vest resembling fish scales
(2) Finned gauntlets: Gloves with serrated metal fin.
(3) etc.
If he's a high enough level his inventions alone will make him formidable.
  Also an NPC villain I don't roll for invention success or worry if he has the appropriate background when creating him.
For NPC heroes however I follow the book rather strictly.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Usually villains but I have found at times when I am randomly rolling up characters that sometimes the side that they were intended to be on isn't really the side that I want them on anymore... although anti-heroes and misunderstood villains make for interesting story bits.

One thing that I would like to incorporate more down the road with future releases are "villains" that are not exactly evil but rather drawn towards a cause that conflicts with the basic order and justice for all. Or heroes that may present a major problem due to prejudice issues.

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 11:11pm:
One thing that I would like to incorporate more down the road with future releases are "villains" that are not exactly evil but rather drawn towards a cause that conflicts with the basic order and justice for all. Or heroes that may present a major problem due to prejudice issues.

That was one thing I liked about Super Crooks and Criminals. Several of the characters tended to fall into gray areas.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Yes,  That is one reason I always liked Magneto better than Dr. Doom.  Marvel played him more gray.

There were times that they tried it with Dr. Doom.  Trying to show how a dictatorship is the most effecient form of government but wouldn't ever truly move him to gray.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2010 at 9:29am by The Cougar »  

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 12:12am
Print Post  
I've done something similar to that in my most recent campaign with FORCE, he's become more of a "gray" villain. 

The heroes recently got thair powers, and he took them in, and offered to help them learn how to use their powers, even to be a kind of patron.  When they found out he was holding the United States Government Hostage, and had taken the only Super Hero group they new of (The Crusaders) captive they turned against him, but he kept offereing to help them up until they actually captured him.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Aren't we waiting to hear more about that group?????

IP Logged

>