Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A few questions for Jeff Dee (Read 4821 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

A few questions for Jeff Dee
Mar 14th, 2010 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Jeff, I know you've got a full schedule, but if you don't mind, I've got a few questions for you. There are several characters depicted throughout the various published books, and I'm wondering if you'd mind sharing some info with us about who they are.

1) The cover of the boxed edition rules, are two guys fighting. One's a bug looking guy with stingers on his wrists, and the other one's a blond guy with a "sun" on his chest. They're also depicted as to of the characters from SJG Cardboard Heroes line. Is there any history to them, or were they just characters you whipped up?

2) On the cover of both the first and second edition rules, you show a few recurring characters. O know one of them is Space Racer, but there's also a female, in a red costume (it's purple on the 1st edition cover), and a the guy being held over the villains head (I think he's the same character as shown in the bottom left hand corner of the 1st edition rules). Any info on them?

3) And lastly, who's the villain in the purple suit, on the cover of the revised rules? I've wanted to know that for years.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2010 at 9:36pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Re: A few questions for Jeff Dee
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Most of the characters in the V&V illustrations were made up on the spot. Of all the characters in those covers, the only ones that we ever actually used were Space Racer (an alien hero, aiding the earth against an invasion by the Psynax, now deceased) and Armorman (founding member of the Super Society, retired, father of Armorman Junior who was going to appear in the 2nd series of the V&V comic book, if that had ever happened). A couple of the other characters have names, but that's all: the redhead in gold armor from the first book cover is Hildegard, the woman in red/purple from the 2 book covers is Skylark, and the guy blue & yellow is Blastar.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Awesome stuff, Jeff.  Thanks for sharing that with us!   Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jeff. Do you happen to recall any information on Armorman?

YIM  
IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 16th, 2010 at 6:15pm:
Thanks Jeff. Do you happen to recall any information on Armorman? 

Only what I already said. Sorry!

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Do you do any roleplaying?  Do you still draw?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 19th, 2010 at 11:46pm:
Do you do any roleplaying?  Do you still draw?

Do I still roleplay? Hell, yes. I host a weekly gaming group at my home. We have three GMs, who alternate: Matt is running a science fiction campaign using Pocket Universe, Manda is running Quicksilver (fantasy, also using the PU system), and I just wrapped up my long-running Empire of the Petal Throne campaign (converted to PU), and for a change of pace I started up a Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play campaign (our first time with this system, and I'm running the Green Ronin version, not the new Fantasy Flight Games version). So far, it's going fine.

I'm also in a weekly group on Saturdays, where I alternate with another GM. Jason is running a fantasy medieval campaign (using, you guessed it, Pocket Universe). I always run the same system for both groups (it helps keep me sane), so I'm also running WFRP there.

As for drawing... yes, I still do a little, though professionally I've transitioned into being primarily a game designer.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
I like your Pocket Universe materials. Very fun. Very workable--especially with cross-genre and lighthearted campaigns.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 10:08am
Print Post  
OK, here's one. Jeff, how did you come up with the idea for V&V?

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Troy wrote on Mar 20th, 2010 at 9:36pm:
I like your Pocket Universe materials. Very fun. Very workable--especially with cross-genre and lighthearted campaigns. 

Great name too.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff,

Who would win in a fight, you or Dr. Hovind?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 11:46am
Print Post  
In addition to my last question, way back when, I recall reading an issue of DC's, New Talent Showcase, the Jeff drew. It was about a team called Prodigy, I don't recall the specifics, but they were a new group of heroes. Could you tell us a little bit about them?

YIM  
IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:47am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 22nd, 2010 at 10:08am:
OK, here's one. Jeff, how did you come up with the idea for V&V? 

Jack and I got into a debate about who would win in a fight - Spider-Man or the Human Torch. So we decided to game it out. I honestly can't remember who played who, or who won. Though I do remember that that first fight used the combat system from TSR's 'Empire of the Petal Throne' - the only game my brother left behind when he went away to college. We just wrote up our own rules for the powers. Once we'd realized that superheroes could work in an RPG, we started writing up rules for every power we could think of, and then our own combat system, and rules for rolling up characters.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:50am by Jeff Dee »  

IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:49am
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:02pm:
Jeff,

Maybe we'll find out... once he gets out of prison.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Jeff Dee wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:47am:
Jack and I got into a debate about who would win in a fight - Spider-Man or the Human Torch. So we decided to game it out. I honestly can't remember who played who, or who won.

Spidey'd kick his butt! Wink

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Jeff Dee wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:49am:
John wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:02pm:
Jeff,

Maybe we'll find out... once he gets out of prison.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

Wow,  karma  is a bitch, huh?    Seriously,  do I recall you saying that he edited you out of a video where you were debating him,  or am I getting that mixed up with something?
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:24pm by John »  

IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:23pm:
Wow,karmais a bitch, huh?Seriously,do I recall you saying that he edited you out of a video where you were debating him,or am I getting that mixed up with something? 

That wasn't Hovind, it was Phillip Johnson.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff Dee wrote on Apr 1st, 2010 at 7:49pm:
John wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:23pm:
Wow,karmais a bitch, huh?Seriously,do I recall you saying that he edited you out of a video where you were debating him,or am I getting that mixed up with something? 

That wasn't Hovind, it was Phillip Johnson.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

Ok,  My Weakness: Shit for Brains   just kicked in again.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
This isn't a question, just a testimonial: Jeff, I cannot adequately express how valued a part V&V has played in my and my brothers' gaming lives.  The second edition is still the marker against which all other superhero games are measured; and despite all comers, no one has yet managed to topple the king off the throne.

As I understand it, V&V (and several other late '70s, early '80s games) is undergoing a bit of a renaissance; just out of curiosity, what direction do you see the pen-and-paper RPG taking over the next few years?  My own feeling on the matter is that the whole MMPOG thing - as so many of that genre have already demonstrated - is of short term value satisfaction value at best.  From your experience, do you think the time is ripe to start the hardcopy publishing again?

Final note: great to be here with this group, and hope to engage in many enlightening and fun discussions on our favourite superhero RPG.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Apr 2nd, 2010 at 12:04pm:
This isn't a question, just a testimonial: Jeff, I cannot adequately express how valued a part V&V has played in my and my brothers' gaming lives.  The second edition is still the marker against which all other superhero games are measured; and despite all comers, no one has yet managed to topple the king off the throne.

As I understand it, V&V (and several other late '70s, early '80s games) is undergoing a bit of a renaissance; just out of curiosity, what direction do you see the pen-and-paper RPG taking over the next few years?  My own feeling on the matter is that the whole MMPOG thing - as so many of that genre have already demonstrated - is of short term value satisfaction value at best.  From your experience, do you think the time is ripe to start the hardcopy publishing again?

Final note: great to be here with this group, and hope to engage in many enlightening and fun discussions on our favourite superhero RPG.

Great to have you here, Tempest!  My own brother played a PC named Tempest, so I was quickly reading your email to see if it was him!    Grin

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Jeff,
Do you have anything to say about all the house rules floating about on V&V?  Anything you really like, anything you dislike?

And how do you feel about the fact that people still play and love the game you made up all those years ago?

IP Logged

Zenith Comics
Teen Titan

Zenith Comics Presents...

Got Questions for Mr. Dee?
Reply #21 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Hey there,

Later this month I will be interviewing Jeff Dee as my inaugural guest on my new podcast (YESSSS!) and was wondering if anyone has any questions for him?

Feel free to submit them to me here, and I would hope that Mr. Dee won't read past this point so we can have a nice raw interview Wink

Cheers!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #22 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Okay, here's a few.

Who were some of the artists that influenced you?

How did you originally get into gaming?

What are some of your fondest memories of gaming?

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #23 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
BUMP

I was hoping Jeff would respond to my question about house rules.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #24 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Jeff,

How would you say your game is?  Is it lighthearted? Serious?   Deadly,  not to dangerous?  Grim and gritty?  Four Color?  I am just curious.

IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 8:40am
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 2nd, 2010 at 6:35pm:
Jeff,
Do you have anything to say about all the house rules floating about on V&V?  Anything you really like, anything you dislike?

(reposted from Facebook, where I was asked essentially the same question):

Do I check out homebrew rules? Not so much. I respect the right of GMs to modify the game to suit their needs, and I ALSO respect their ownership of their design work. I'm not going to get into a situation where I have to choose between one person's homebrew and another's, nor do I want to deal with getting permission and giving credit, and I ESPECIALLY don't want to be accused of 'stealing' homebrew ideas. So I wind up doing my own V&V design work in a bit of a bubble. Which has its downside, but I don't see any good alternative.

I DO pay attention when I'm told that something isn't working for most players, but as I see it, my job is to fix those problems myself.

Quote:
And how do you feel about the fact that people still play and love the game you made up all those years ago?

As I've said before, for a long time it was too painful for me to even think about V&V. Those days are over, and now I'm absolutely thrilled that there are so many amazing fans who still play V&V. You guys kept the torch burning though many long, dark years. Thank you! Smiley

-Jeff Dee
Monkey House Games

IP Logged

Cat Lord
Sidekick

Saving the world from
itself since 1985.

Reply #26 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Hey, guys, just a quick note...

Jeff Dee and Jack Herman are going to be the Gaming Guests of Honor at CoastCon 34, to be held in Biloxi, MS on March 11-13, 2011!

Among other things, I have (as the Game Operations Director) planned a special V&V tournament adventure just for the occasion and I'm trying to think up some really cool prizes for first, second, and third place!

Admission will be $45 at the door, or you can preregister on our website (http://www.coastcon.org) for only $35.

And though Jack and Jeff are, for me anyway, the highlight of the convention, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the numerous other games, LARP, panels, charity auction, CoastCon dance, and a special event just for this year... the zombie shuffle followed by the zombie-themed dance on Friday night!

And then there's our Media Guest of Honor, Gary Graham, star of Robot Jox! You do not want to miss this!
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2010 at 9:35am by Cat Lord »  
IP Logged

Suddenly Susan
Sidekick

Reply #27 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:44am
Print Post  
What's next from Monkey House? What should we expect to see later this year and into 2011? Is there an online schedule?

IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #28 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Suddenly Susan wrote on Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:44am:
What's next from Monkey House? What should we expect to see later this year and into 2011? Is there an online schedule? 

We don't have firm release dates yet on any of the things we're currently working on, and our policy is to not officially announce them until we do.

Bill Willingham let it slip that he's writing & illustrating a new adventure for MHG, though, so there's no point to me being tight lipped about that one Wink

Other upcoming books will be announced when the time is right. Stay tuned!

-Jeff Dee
Monkey House Games

IP Logged

Cat Lord
Sidekick

Saving the world from
itself since 1985.

Reply #29 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 9:38am
Print Post  
I have updated the CoastCon post above. Our website is now up and running, and in addition to Jeff Dee and Jack Herman as Gaming Guests of Honor, Gary Graham (of Robot Jox fame) is our Media Guest of Honor!

That's March 11-13, 2011, in Biloxi, MS! Save the date!

IP Logged

>