Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upcoming V&V Releases (Read 128057 times)
Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Re: Upcoming V&V Releases
Reply #70 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Because by saying "edited by Jack Herman! art by Jeff Dee!" in the way it was announced implies their endorsement (and I don't care about excuses here, it was worded in such as way as to use their names to promote the product), and they want it clearly known that they do NOT approve of this product.

Hopefully this explanation will prove helpful. More than likely it will just produce more snarky insults.

Allen

IP Logged

Marvella
Sidekick

I Love Jeff Dee!

Reply #71 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
I love Jeff Dee's "classic art" style from the 1980s. As a collector I have to get a copy of this. It's like finding out that a filmed-but-never-aired episode of your favorite TV series is finally available on DVD. When is this coming out!

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #72 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:16am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:24pm:
PS Those GenCon photos were fantastic, I hope you get more up if possible!

Afraid there won't be too many more GenCon pics, I was too busy doing stuff to take pictures most of the time lol.

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, but for the writers this is exciting; to talk with them about it has been great and gives everything a fresh face.

I can understand the excitement from the authors, no one submits something they have written hoping it never sees print. The only issue I have is that FGU is presenting this as new material instead of stuff that has been sitting around for decades. That and Jeff and Jack's names are purposely being used to promote this in an effort that is somewhere between snake oil and used car sales techniques. It just comes off as sleazy tactics by FGU to me. I don't want to stir up the debate yet again, I am sure that it will be a fine example of the kind of stuff FGU was publishing back in the 80's. I own quite a bit of that stuff and will probably pick up more if it ever finds it's way to my FLGS's used book shelves.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:26am by Duroon »  
IP Logged

Marvella
Sidekick

I Love Jeff Dee!

Reply #73 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Where are they saying it's "new"? The announcement I got just said Coming Soon, which it is. It didn't seem dishonest to me. I am so totally psyched about this. I'd actually rather see old school Jeff Dee art than his Living Legends style of art. Like Byrne on the X-Men vs. later Byrne.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #74 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Marvella wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:35am:
Like Byrne on the X-Men vs. later Byrne. 

What if Byrne had lost ownership of the art and a person he was in the middle of a legal proceeding with, printed it against Byrne's wishes, and promoted it with Byrne's name? Would you still buy it?  Smiley

As a fan, you love that great early Byrne stuff.. gotta have it. But as a fan do you feel any loyalty to the creator or his wishes?
("You" meaning the generic term, not specifically you, Marvella. btw, welcome to the boards.)

The whole Kirby/Marvel issue was a painful example of publisher rights vs. creator rights.

The guys who created Superman never saw any of the money that's  sustained a comic publishing empire for decades.

Of course it was all done legally. The question is: was it right?  Smiley

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #75 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom, you have hit on exactly what my issue is with this whole thing. Thank you.

Allen

IP Logged

Marvella
Sidekick

I Love Jeff Dee!

Reply #76 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:22am
Print Post  
If Marvel paid Byrne for art, and then I'd have no problem buying a comic that used that art even if it was 30 years later. And they sure as heck would have the right to credit him for the art. In fact, it would seem absolutely right to finally publish the art that was commissioned.

Just because I'm a fan of John Byrne's early art doesn't mean that I support everything he says today--or automatically take his word at face value.

DF, it's pretty clear you're not a lawyer, so I'm not going to speculate about it. If someone has a problem with the legal issues, their lawyers can figure it out. And enough forum writers here and elsewhere have uncovered that the exclusive trademark claims that Herman has made are far from finalized.

If a museum bought a Picasso and years later he said he didn't want them to display the art because he didn't like the museum anymore--and made legal claims that he couldn't legally support--I'd go to the museum and see his art. And buy the postcard of it as well. Because I love his art that much.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #77 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I would offer this: In light of the current grievances, I can't totally be surprised that MHG would react less than kindly.
But the work was done and paid for. When does not matter.
And if it matters to you, I can respect that.

Jack says he didn't edit it... cool.
But untrue... I could scan the manuscript, upload it and show you 50 pages of his scribble and change....followed by a glowing summary he wrote in the intro.

Jeff staked a copyright date to the original art, I'm cool with that too, sometimes I do that...
But that date has no value until publication in light of his non-ownership of the art because he was paid for it in advance, with no other benefit promised as ... work for hire. When it publishes, it (the art) is being credited and copyrighted to him 2010.

No one 'lost' ownership. They GAVE it in exchange for getting it to market, signed it in ink, with their parents countersigning many years ago...
So everything they said here is more like sour grapes.

If you really loved the game, you would support it on the playground while the parents finish the argument.

Or if you want to stay inside and stand behind one parent or another and miss out on the hide and seek and the merry-go-round...
well I don't...

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Marvella
Sidekick

I Love Jeff Dee!

Reply #78 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:40am
Print Post  
To be fair, it's quite possible that Herman honestly forgot that he edited the text. It has been a loooooooong time. He's really not the selling point to me. It's all about the lovely art of Jeff Dee!  Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #79 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Marvella wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:35am:
Where are they saying it's "new"? The announcement I got just said Coming Soon, which it is. It didn't seem dishonest to me. I am so totally psyched about this. I'd actually rather see old school Jeff Dee art than his Living Legends style of art. Like Byrne on the X-Men vs. later Byrne.

I totally agree about John Byrne (I much prefer his olders stuff).  While I too preferred Dee's earlier work to his Living Legends era material, I have to say that his most recent stuff (like in the 2.1 rulebook) is back to being fantastic!  I just recently purchased an original piece of this art (from 2.1) and it looks even better close-up than it does in the rulebook!

IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #80 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:31am:
If you really loved the game, you would support it on the playground while the parents finish the argument.

Or if you want to stay inside and stand behind one parent or another and miss out on the hide and seek and the merry-go-round...
well I don't...

Except that this is like your parents analogy, where I am more than happy to stand behind the supportive parent (MHG) who have still kept in contact and supported the kids (fan base) for years, even putting our new, good material as opposed to the absentee parent (FGU) who only show up now to try to weasel some more money.

If MHG does own the rights to the V&V name and the publishing rights to the V&V rules and universe, then FGU should stop putting out material.

I don;t know the whole story (and only Jack and Jeff and their lawyer do), but from what I've read here and in other locations (and of cousre I understand that the MHG forums will have their own bias, but that's not the only place I've followed) it appears that FGU has been sneaky about this whole thing.

No support for new V&V for decades and then suddenly, a bunch of new material just before MHG gets the rights back, and now they look like they are trying to get out as much material as possible before they get everything taken away.

It just looks like a slimy sales move to try to undermine the good V&V name and reputation.  It may not be what FGU is trying to do, but it IS how their shenanigans appear.

But, we will have to see how this whole thing ends up legally of course.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:02pm by Gigglestick »  

IP Logged

Marvella
Sidekick

I Love Jeff Dee!

Reply #81 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
I agree that the whole parents anaology falls apart. Until a couple of weeks ago, I thought Jack Herman was dead. And when the first batch of V&V supplements came out--with promotions of Citizen Report from FGU--Jeff Dee was telling people not to play V&V because it was inferior to Living Legends. (I'm not sure if anyone other than Jeff Dee ever believed that Living Legends was a better system, but oh well...). My friends and I have been talking about this offline since the whole shabang got started. Of course, none of this is going to stop me from getting my hands on Dee's art from 1986. They actually could charge a whole lot more by promoting it as classic Jeff Dee. Man, I love that guy's early work!

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #82 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Gigglestick...
What 'shenanigans'?
What's 'sneaky'?

For the record, MHG is only claiming the rights, they have not secured them in any court anywhere, yet everyone keeps drinking the Kool-Aid and believing they were somehow wronged and now they have already reached some settlement that allowed them to break their contracts...

And who created the good name of V&V? Was it Jeff and Jack on their own? No sir, it was a great many contributors for a long time and the fans who love it. They aren't even a creative majority in the responsibility of the game you enjoyed.

Like she said, she thought Jack was dead and we all know Jeff's track record of ego, argumentativeness and angry tonguelashings... that guy releases a competitive product called Living Legends... that's not undermining at all? and how many years before that did he have to actively promote V&V but not do it...? But it was too painful?

Please.

One guy too bitter, one guy dead; perception is reality.

Sorry, in my opinion they are every bit as culpable for the disappearance of V&V as anyone else, if not more so for their 'creator-owned' property, let alone a publisher who had no responsibility whatsoever to take his own personal fortune and prop up a game that lost its steam in the 10 years after its release. Blame is ugly, but equally distributed on this one.

And remember, they cashed all their checks...
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:05pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #83 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
And another thing, people here who had spoken to FGU and wanted to help the game showed interest long before the monkeys built a house, to wit the revival caused a communication from Jeff to FGU, in which FGU offered Jeff to return with V&V in any capacity he wanted...
He snubbed his nose at FGU back then. None of this was Jeff's idea, as a result, he's the one who raced to create MHG to do this, and in my opinion, he knew that the public internet could be taken by storm because of FGU's weak internet presence and FGU's owner's unwilingness to engage in rumor on forums.

That's right, it was you fans who started this revival in these very forums from what I can tell almost three years ago... God Bless You.

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #84 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
interesting...how do you know its a she?

Since when is an author who writes a work that is then published by a publishing company responsible for promoting their work? That is the job of the PUBLISHER! I'm sure Green Ronin is happy to have Steve Kenson help in promoting Mutants and Masterminds but it is the COMPANY's job to keep the game line going.

Let's see...five to seven years is the usual amount of time between editions of a game, which is the best way to reinvigorate flagging sales. That would have been 1987. What happened in 1987? Oh yeah...FGU STOPPED MAKING NEW V&V STUFF. From my understanding that is the core of the issue between the creators and FGU. The so-called "Crisis of Treachery" (to borrow a phrase from another similar event...and to Scott Bizar's credit he didn't go to his fans for a bailout...) happened in the early 90's, right? so what happened between 1987 and then?

Expecting Jeff and Jack to be the ones to promote a game that they were not benefitting from because the publisher was neglecting it is not right. And you are being disingenuous at best about this.

FGU could actually benefit from this. They could cut a deal whereby they avoid legal expenses by letting MHG have the game. They could then do just what they are doing now - releasing their old inventory of unpublished stuff, along with new stuff under the very generous FREE V&V Compatible license that MHG is offering. They would not have to spend a dime on promotion of the game AND they would receive the benefit of getting rid of all that old backstock as well. It really could be a win-win.

They have a "contract". By allowing the property to languish as they have, FGU has not held up their end of the deal, as all of us long-suffering V&V fans well know. Sure, they cashed their checks...you would, too. But how much bigger could those checks have been if FGU had actually done what they should have done? And if the game was selling that badly why set such outrageously high prices to sell the rights?

I'm sorry, but I don't buy a lot of what the FGU side is saying.

Allen

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #85 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:23pm:
That's right, it was you fans who started this revival in these very forums from what I can tell almost three years ago... God Bless You. 

All legal arguments aside, because they have been done to death and we can all see that no one is going to change anyone's mind at this point, this is one thing I can agree with you on AK. The V&V revival was started by the fans. The new material that first started coming out was by fans (Dave Woodrum in particular sorry if I misspelled the last name).

FGU still has not done anything to put any real "promotion" into V&V to date. That's all been by fans up until Jeff and Jack made their announcement. Now we have a company actively promoting a product we all love. Why should I get behind FGU? FGU just comes off as trying to capitalize on a revival they have not put any effort into. Let's not forget that at the same time V&V went off the radar, every other title FGU was publishing disappeared as well. From an outsiders perspective it sure looks like they went out of business around that time frame.

Again, all legal arguments aside, FGU has done nothing to get my support. The fans have, Jeff and Jack have.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #86 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Well, a feminine name and avatar? I'm old school, I hope it's a she...
So Allen,
why are they so able to promote it by themselves now? Have you ever seen a publishing contract? The languishing you speak of wasn't part of the contract.

By the way, MHG has no legal basis to give or take away rights to or from anyone at this point; no judge has given them that power.

If you guys don't believe what I've been saying in forums:
Ask his lawyer. He won't deny these are facts.
He will also tell you that he disagrees about certain things he believes regardless whether (and he will also tell you) he doesn't have all the facts.
That's his job.

The ugly truth is so simple.
Jeff is bitter, and I can sympathize, but that doesn't make him right. Embracing his bitterness and pointing fingers absent the facts are just feeding that stray.

IP Logged

Marvella
Sidekick

I Love Jeff Dee!

Reply #87 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:43pm:

Pretty smart, you are. Yeah, I was hoping with a name like Marvella and Phoenix as my image that being a woman was pretty darn obvious to everyone. Just like I'm guessing that Allen is, oh I don't know, probably a man...! But maybe now  I should start referring to him as "it" just the same.

All I do is post that I want some Jeff Dee art from the 1980s and suddenly my breasts are a topic of debate.

I read rumors that there's more Jeff Dee art from the 80s that went unpublished for Most Wanted or some other adventures. Whoever owns it--I don't care who--should get around and start publishing it. Pronto.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #88 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Marvella wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:52pm:

Pretty smart, you are. Yeah, I was hoping with a name like Marvella and Phoenix as my image that being a woman was pretty darn obvious to everyone. Just like I'm guessing that Allen is, oh I don't know, probably a man...! But maybe now  I should start referring to him as "it" just the same.

All I do is post that I want some Jeff Dee art from the 1980s and suddenly my breasts are a topic of debate.

I read rumors that there's more Jeff Dee art from the 80s that went unpublished for Most Wanted or some other adventures. Whoever owns it--I don't care who--should get around and start publishing it. Pronto.

OK. I just fell off my chair reading that one. Grin

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #89 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
"Oni?"  So doe that mean you have an inie or an Outie?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #90 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I have an "Oni"........ and that will not be a topic of debate!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:37pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #91 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Allen Shock wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:15am:
Doctor Foom, you have hit on exactly what my issue is with this whole thing. Thank you.

Allen

Thanks. You go home with the one that brought you.  Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #92 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:45pm:
Allen Shock wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:15am:

Allen

Thanks. You go home with the one that brought you.  Smiley

Oh great,  I came by myself, so no innie for me.  Again... Cry

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #93 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Good Gravy.....

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #94 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Marvella wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:22am:
DF, it's pretty clear you're not a lawyer, so I'm not going to speculate about it. If someone has a problem with the legal issues, their lawyers can figure it out.

Hi.  Smiley
I didn't claim to be a lawyer. I don't think I was even debating the legalities. My point was about what's right, not what's legal. And whether the fan of an artist should feel any loyalty at all to that artist.

Marvella, you've made it clear that your love for an artist's work translates in no way to loyalty of any kind to the creator of the art you love so much.

Anyone else?
Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #95 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:51pm:
Oh great,I came by myself, so no innie for me.Again...

That's great.

IP Logged

Wildcat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #96 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 9:16pm:
Hi.  I didn't claim to be a lawyer. I don't think I was even debating the legalities. My point was about what's right, not what's legal. And whether the fan of an artist should feel any loyalty at all to that artist.Marvella, you've made it clear that your love for an artist's work translates in no way to loyalty of any kind to the creator of the art you love so much.Anyone else?Thanks.  

Jeff Dee was associated only with Living Legends until a few months ago. So I guess anyone who kept playing V&V during the last few years instead of switching to Living Legends was disloyal to Jeff Dee.

And I can see from your blog Doctor Foom that you've had a longrunning V and V campaign. Talk about loyalty. You didn't even care enough about Jeff Dee to play Living Legends.

I hope you at least bought the game, to support Jeff. That would be the least you could do.

I did.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #97 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
I am fascinated with all of these new people that have joined in the last few days, they all seem to make their first post in this forum attacking anyone siding with MHG over FGU. Troll much folks?

Of course you are entitled to your respective opinions, I just question why you want to make your entrance to the forum in this manner. Welcome to the discussion and if it is not too much trouble could we get back to discussing the new material coming out?

IP Logged

Wildcat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #98 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Speaking of new releases, is Blood Ties getting converted into 2.1?

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #99 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Sounds like they are considering it over on the MHG forums.

IP Logged

Wildcat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #100 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Duroon wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:40pm:
Sounds like they are considering it over on the MHG forums.

It's a good module. I'd highly recommend it.

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #101 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Wildcat wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:17pm:
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 9:16pm:
Hi.  I didn't claim to be a lawyer. I don't think I was even debating the legalities. My point was about what's right, not what's legal. And whether the fan of an artist should feel any loyalty at all to that artist.Marvella, you've made it clear that your love for an artist's work translates in no way to loyalty of any kind to the creator of the art you love so much.Anyone else?Thanks.  

Jeff Dee was associated only with Living Legends until a few months ago. So I guess anyone who kept playing V&V during the last few years instead of switching to Living Legends was disloyal to Jeff Dee.

And I can see from your blog Doctor Foom that you've had a longrunning V and V campaign. Talk about loyalty. You didn't even care enough about Jeff Dee to play Living Legends.

I hope you at least bought the game, to support Jeff. That would be the least you could do.

I did.

I like Living Legends. I've run it and I think its a good game in its own right.

Allen

IP Logged

Brent Rose
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #102 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
If you guys don't believe what I've been saying in forums:
Ask his lawyer.

AK, I enjoy our occasional discussions about the history of the game, but I would appreciate if our private discussions remain that way and, even more, if you choose to make our discussions public, I'd appreciate if you wouldn't misquote me.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #103 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
As you wish.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #104 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 9:19am
Print Post  
AslanC's Public Enemies Volume 1 looks like a nice job!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
Topic Tools

>