Normal Topic Maxima Overdrive (Read 1762 times)
Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Maxima Overdrive
Aug 29th, 2010 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
If you haven't seen the "Maxima" character yet, then you can download it at the Yahoo! group "V&V":
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QLx6TIHTGMUoSG6MStEWfkmpUr_nxFTzHM_SBgNV4nVPmlNoRlg...

This thread is dedicated to everyone who's ever wanted to get some action with this chick.

I'll start with some errata, background notes, current situation notes and maybe post a few "Danger Room" situation results.
=======
Gray areas of errata:

1) Armor A somehow gave her 1-4 additional abilities (just like Armor B normally does).  But this can be justified by saying that in "some uncountable future era" they've developed cybernetic technology to perfection.  So even though her armor is technically "A" it has "B" characteristics.  Also, these additional abilites were noted during character creation, so there's no need to call this "errata"

2) Invulnerability doesn't specify a type of damage that it doesn't work against, but this need not be established at character creation.  Suggestion: germs/chemical power (see her origin)

3) Agility Modifier would normally be incorrect, but her Armor A specifies "no agility loss", so it's not errata either
=======
Black/white areas of errata:

Armor A:

1) Adaptation is PR of 1 per hour and/or per attack (not "1/hour or turn of defense")

2) Heightened Speed initiative bonus is +34 (not +33 because it should be rounded up)
=======
Origin/Background notes

The "uncountable future human era" can be no further than "a few dozen centuries".  This means no more than 3600 years (few = 3, dozen = 12 times 100 years).  So a GM could probably give a reasonably accurate estimate of the time frame where Maxima is from within a few decades.  There's a problem with such a massive amount of time: ripples made in the early 21st century would fade within a few hundred/thousand years.  So even if Maxima completed her mission and destroyed Prima 1, then something else could EASILY occur to make the war come to pass anyway.  So the GM is not going to run out of potential adventure plots to save the future...  Wink

"1 human in 10 million" means that out of a population of exactly 6 billion you would have 600 survivors.  The Earth would probably double or triple this population amount before population control becomes enforced planetwide.  So assume about 2000 survivors worldwide.  Also this would not include humans living off-planet since the implication is that only the planet Earth is the battleground.  It could be further assumed that humans existing off-planet would "abandon the Earth to it's fate", so the struggle for survival of the scientists on Earth would not be unreasonable.

Unfortunately, finding a GROUP of seven scientists in 600 - 2000 random survivors (worldwide) is too much of a stretch since there's no communications networks, no transportation, etc.  Most random survivors will probably be seperated by dozens/hundreds/thousands of miles.  So the seven scientists would have to have made preparations for survival prior to the war.  This works well with Maxima's origin story because the scientists are dealing with "diminishing resources, power, and time" which implies they had made preparations in advance.

Oh boy, here's a tough one: Maxima is a toddler!?  She was only a month old when she was sent on her mission!  I saw something by Jeff Dee that said published characters don't age.  So this concept might be tough to incorporate in your campaign.  This can be useful for explaining why Maxima hasn't joined any superhero groups: she's immature.  This doesn't have to mean that she's a brat, but more like those Supergirl comics that were printed in 2006 or so.  You basically had Superman's powers in the body of a teenage girl.  And no one really trusted her because she was too inexperienced.  It seemed to me they did a fairly decent job of portraying the "teen angst" thing.  Supergirl wasn't "clumsy" in the sense that she had low agility, but she was "clumsy" in the sense that teenagers tend to be.  Maxima might be portrayed in a similar manner; you can say that her education compensates a little and makes her at least as mature as a teenager.  And so no one really trusts her yet.

Being inexperienced also means her powers are more likely to "fail".  Meaning she DETECTS danger but doesn't RECOGNIZE it, for instance.  This can be applied on a case-by-case basis to help the GM get some "cheap shots" in so Maxima won't overrun his campaign.

And who's this "Neville Taylor" character?  There's a few things you could do with him: 1) Kill him off early, 2) Let him be recruited by C.H.E.S.S. to assist Maxima, 3) Let him MARRY Maxima to give her a secret identity and citizenship, etc.  Killing him off is not recommended and should only be done if you want Maxima to be a villain.  Marriage would probably depend on how Maxima responds to Neville.  This in itself could create it's own adventure module since women are unpredictable.  It's likely the only men she met prior to Neville were the scientists and these guys were probably old and also sickly from the environment.  It's doubtful that she ventured outside while in the future since she was only a month old when she was sent back in time.  But you could say that one night she sneaked out because of curiosity and encountered a mutant or whatever.  So Neville would be the first man she met (aside from the scientists) that wasn't a monster trying to kill/rape her and even saved her life.  And if he gave her flowers while she was sick (ie: "Get Well Soon!"), then he would automatically receive a Heightened Charisma bonus because she's probably never seen live flowers before.  As far as involving C.H.E.S.S., she would eventually have to register because it's illegal not to.  However, C.H.E.S.S. is unlikely to assist her because her story is too vague.  But they're certain to make note of her story for possible future reference (can't take any chances).

Now what EXACTLY is "Prima 1"?  Is it a weapon?  Organization?  Robot/android?  Codename for a person?  Vigilante name?  Exotic metal?

Here's some thoughts:
"Prima" obviously means "Primary" so this is either a "primary weapon" (ie: doomsday weapon) or anything that denotes the best, main or leadership position.

"1" probably means "first in a series" so it won't be the last!  Wink

Since Maxima was specifically designed to take out Prima 1, then it must be the name of something that requires super strength/defenses/speed to take out.  Prima 1 cannot fly because Maxima can't.  It cannot travel through dimensions either for the same reason.  And etc.  Make sure it's something that "fits".  So Prima 1 will probably not be a rocket weapon (although it could be a bomb).  It should probably have some surprises, too, because the scientists that designed Maxima: 1) couldn't think of everything and 2) might be wrong anyway.  Also, Prima 1 has a potential range of planetwide since the story doesn't extend beyond Earth (as far as we know; but this may be wrong).

As for her arch-enemy, Motivator seems a good candidate because everyone loves a good cat fight.  Dr. Apocalypse would probably be another good candidate since he doesn't mind breaking a few eggs in his ambition for power (and Maxima was sent to stop global destruction).  Combining Motivator and Dr. Apocalypse might even be necessary.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2010 at 4:37pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: Maxima Overdrive
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
First up: Maxima and Motivator cat fight!

Maxima's "to hit" bonus, HTH: Natural Weaponry (+3) + Accuracy (+12) + Level vs Level (+1) = +16
Maxima's HTH damage: Natural Weaponry (+6) + Damage Modifier (+18) + HTH (7d10) = 7d10 + 24
Maxima's Base Initiative: Agl + Heightened Speed = 119

Motivator's "to hit" bonus, HTH: Accuracy (+4) + Level vs Level (-2) = +2
Motivator's HTH damage: Damage Modifier (+10) + HTH (1d8) = 1d8 + 10
Motivator's Base Initiative: Agl = 24

We'll start with a simple HTH fight (ha!)

Maxima Initiative: 119 + d10 (9) = 128
Maxima's action phases:
128, 113, 98, 83, 68, 53, 38, 23, 8

Motivator's Initiative: Agl + d10 roll (5) = 29
Motivator's action phases:
29, 14

Phase 128: Maxima swings at Motivator with a base 5 to hit plus 16 (21 or less).  A 3 is rolled.  Damage rolled: 3 + 8 + 4 + 7 + 6 + 3 + 7 = 38.  Plus an additional 24 is 62 total damage.  Motivator rolls with 11 points and takes 51 points of damage, bringing her to 10 total HPs and 108 Power.  Knockback is equal to 51 - BH (3) = 48" (240 ft).  She flies 3" backwards and hits the brick (SR = 5) building across the street.  Damage from knockback = 48" - 3" = 45" falling damage.  Damage is 45 * 1.732050808 (78 points).  The brick wall takes no damage.  Motivator rolls with 10 points of damage, takes 10 HPs in damage and then another 58 points of Power damage.  She is now down to 0 HP and 40 Power.

End of battle.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Next up: Maxima and Dr. Apocalypse

Maxima's "to hit" bonus, HTH: Natural Weaponry (+3) + Accuracy (+12) + Level vs Level (+2) = +17
Maxima's HTH damage: Natural Weaponry (+6) + Damage Modifier (+18) + HTH (7d10) = 7d10 + 24
Maxima's Base Initiative: Agl + Heightened Speed = 119

Dr. Apocalypse's "to hit" bonus, HTH: Accuracy (+4) + Level vs Level (-3) = +1
Dr. Apocalypse's HTH damage: Damage Modifier (+8) + HTH (2d10) = 2d10 + 8
Dr. Apocalypse's Base Initiative: Agl = 23

We'll start with a simple HTH fight (ha!)

Maxima Initiative: 119 + d10 (10) = 129
Maxima's action phases:
129, 114, 99, 84, 69, 54, 39, 24, 9

Dr. Apocalypse's Initiative: Agl + d10 roll (9) = 32
Dr. Apocalypse's action phases:
32, 17, 2

Phase 129: Maxima swings at Dr. Apocalypse with a base 5 to hit plus 17 (22 or less).  An 18 is rolled.  Damage rolled: 5 + 6 + 3 + 7 + 1 + 4 + 2 = 28.  Plus an additional 24 is 52 total damage.  Dr. Apocalypse rolls with 14 points and takes 38 points of damage, bringing him to 163 total HPs and 126 Power.  Knockback is equal to 38 - BH (5) = 33" (165 ft).  A d20 roll (5) vs Agl would allow him to use his Flight power to negate the Knockback, however the brick wall (SR 5) is only 3" away and he doesn't get a chance to do so.  So, 30" falling damage.  His BH are equal to but not greater than the wall, so he takes the full damage (30 * 2.236067978) of 67 points.  He rolls with 12 points and takes 55 points of damage.  He now has 71 HP and 151 Power.

Phase 114: Maxima, surprised that the Doctor is still awake, decides to hit him full force.  She initiates a flying kick (jumping speed = 3866") for an additional 6d10 damage.  Once again, she has a base 5 plus 17 (22 or less) to hit.  An 8 is rolled.  Damage = 8 + 8 + 6 + 7 + 6 + 3 + 10 = 48, plus 9 + 8 + 9 + 2 + 5 + 9 = 42, plus 24 is 114 total damage.  The Doctor rolls with 15 points, then takes 71 HP damage and an additional 28 points Power damage.  Now he has 0 HP and 108 Power.  Knockback is 71 + 28 = 99".  But since the Doctor is already up against the brick wall, he immediately takes the full brunt (99 * 2.236067978) of 221 points damage.  The Doctor absorbs 108 points and is dead.  His body absorbs 5 more with a remaining 108 damage.  Doctor Apocalypse's body explodes in a bloody mess and a very large section of the brick wall is taken out as well.

End of battle.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Maxima was practically an example of how to completely exploit the V & V rules for broken min-max gaming. She was presented in an article with the ridiculous power houses of other game systems.
If I were to use her as an actual NPC I would either seriously de-power her or make her more into a living plot device than an actual mechanical character similar to how one would deal with Galactus or the Beyonder. No, I'm not saying she is as powerful as those cosmic characters but she is pretty ridiculous.

In the end really I would just populate my game world with a creation of my own of that power level and just use her as an example of what NOT to try to get away with when creating characters.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 7:49am
Print Post  
I still like her but for what she represents.  At the time, the competitors were pointing out that V&V couldn't handle the 'God' level Heroes in DC and Marvel.

Maxima was created to show different.  If I was ever to use her, I would give the entire world a power boost.  So every thing would be from scratch and if I used any existing characters like Dr. A. they would get a significant power upgrade.

If I wasn't creating a 'God' level adventure, then she is living plot device or mobile fodder support.

Mobile Fodder Support - NPCs used to take care of armies of minions or super strong gatekeeper which having the heroes defeat is pointless but if the obstacle was missing would diminsh the scope of the epic.

To modules that could use Mobile Fodder Support are From the Depths of Space and The Dawn of the Devil.  Why use one Slaughterdroid when with Maxima present there can be eight.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Her lack of experience is her primary weakness...

She was born in and "grew up" in an underground bunker, so she had no real chance to "let go" with her powers (she has no idea how powerful she is).
==============
Maxima suddenly stopped walking and grabbed Neville's arm.  "Nev, something's wrong" she whispered.

Neville Taylor sighed.  "Here we go again" he thought.  He hated to take her to the city, but their client could only meet there.  Not that a rural area was much better, but at least Maxima had gotten used to it.  She had improved a lot since he first met her though...

When he first found her she was already feverish.  He convinced her to come with him (there was no way he could lift her) and was going to take her to a local hospital.  However, as soon as she saw his car she freaked and ran.  She wasn't too hard to follow (kind of like trying to follow the Incredible Hulk in the comics), but it took him quite a while to catch up to her.  She had collapsed a few miles away.  She finally relented to going with him and getting in the car, but it was a nerve-wracking trip for both of them.  This strange lady was terrified of her own shadow (despite her obviously off-the-chart powers).  Later he realized that she had a "danger sense" of some kind and she obviously couldn't control it.  The hospital attempted to treat her, but after she accidently destroyed her room (thrashing in her sleep) they refused to help her.  He took her back to his hotel and moved to a room with two beds on the ground floor.  Fortunately he ended up paying for only the bed.  Shortly after this he quit the newspaper.  She needed a LOT of attention to make sure she stayed out of trouble.  He actually trained her how to live.  Quite an accomplishment for a dedicated bachelor, that.  Lately they had been picking up bounty work to make ends meet.  It turned out that she was a natural at beating up bad guys; who would've thought, right?

Neville looked around on the crowded street.  Nothing unusual, just people going about their business.  "It's probably nothing serious, Max.  Could it be the plane overhead?"  Max gave him a dark look "This isn't funny, Nev.  Something is dangerous to both of us and it's nearby!"  Neville takes her arm and leads her along "Then we'd best get out of here and go meet our client!  We're already late!" he says impatiently.

In a nearby alleyway, Motivator watches the two of them walk away...

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
"since women are unpredictable."
"the scientists and these guys were probably old and also sickly from the environment"

These two phrases/assumptions are not necessarily true.
Women are often as predictable if not moreso than men; I've been married twice and have three children, all girls... you can expect any insecurities to translate to attempts at control and all assumptions based on experience of the woman - since Maxima has none, it would depend on the behaviors of the scientists, as they are the models for her behavior...
And the scientists might be older and varying in age, but if they were smart enough to prepare for the apocalypse, they were certainly smart enough to consider their own fitness/exercise/nutrition would be a large basis of their survival... so they (all or maybe just one or two) might be excellent examples of healthy human beings; this begs that she may have a attachment to one or more of them in either a paternal sense or even if the scientist is a younger junior member, romantically.
Why we would assume they're all a bunch of geriatric prunes with frizzy white hair and liver spots is beyond me, that's as absurd as the assumptions kids make in high school about the total packages of stereotypical groups (jocks, nerds, stoners, etc...). Science is their occupation, but doesn't necessarily mean they're relics.

"Now what EXACTLY is "Prima 1"?"
This could be an entire base or location, with the series number being other locations. This makes sense for why she would be so powerful as to have to bypass security and defeat MANY enemies and return home.

Just thoughts... Smiley

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Your combat examples were mostly spot-on, but a couple of nits to pick:

- It is not in the rules to give out falling damage (which is deadly in V&V) for knock-back.  Though there is nothing "official" (at least as far as MHG authorizes), FGU put out a supplement called "Super-Crooks & Criminals" that had an optional rule in the back.  This rule covered how much damage one took from knock-back, and it works excellently (we've used it for decades).  Note, however, that the amount of damage done is WAY less than falling damage.

Also, adding Velocity damage to base HTH damage for a flying kick would only happen with a house rule.  The rules specifically tell you not to add velocity damage to normal HTH damage when they say "Do not apply to normal muscle-powered or technological ranged weaponry."  They do work when ramming someone, but that implies that one is flying or running into someone else and would probably cause damage to both combatants.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Awesome!  I was hoping I could get some dialogue going about this, because I'd really like to see a (fun) adventure with Maxima!

Alabaster: You sound like an expert on women!  Wink  And your views on the scientists were correct.  I don't know why the "geriatric prunes with frizzy white hair and liver spots" got stuck in my head!?

Majestic: Thanks for the input.  I haven't seen the falling damage rules, but I did see a reference in the 2.0 Core Rules,  section 3.2 page 24 under "Combat Effects".  In the third paragraph it talks about knockback and then has a cryptic reference "See also 8.2".  Section 8.2 is falling damage, so I assumed it was included in knockback.

I had no clear idea about adding velocity damage.  I looked it up and saw the "Do not apply to normal muscle-powered or technological ranged weaponry" part you were referring to.  I was assuming they meant slings, bows, etc.  I didn't realize they were including HTH as well since "HTH" is often specified separately when it's referred to.

I'll start another thread to address these mechanical questions here:
http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1283285121

mw
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2010 at 4:07pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I liked a lot of that original post - and the interpretations about her maturity. Depending upon her stage of emotional development, a lot of her perceptions would be slightly twisted... cool, joining the other thread.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

>