Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Glaring commentary (Read 29974 times)
Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

A Glaring commentary
Nov 13th, 2010 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Hello,

My name is Eric Palond. My father Thomas was the head of Weapons development for Phillip Manning. I also work for Manning. My father and I developed a suit of powered armor that manipulates light particles in it's various forms. It was a pet project, part of our Father/Son bonding. We never showed it to Manning, and built it ourselves on our own time. Shortly after the suit was completed, my father disappeared. Fearing Manning had a hand in this, I went to CHESS.

Now, I work for CHESS as a Rook, spying on Manning, because CHESS suspects he has sinister machinations. Since I brought the armor with me, they've also assigned me to work with a group of heroes. Not being used to the super hero business, I chose the not so glamorous code name of Glare. Yeah, it's cheesy, but I think it helps make potential enemies underestimate me. Which is good, cause I'm still wet behind the ears.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

My first mission: In space, no one can hear you piss yourself
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
My first official mission was going with Dark Warrior, Elusion, Marshal Strong and Modi into space. We were going to the Gilgamesh, which had been missing for months. To say I was nervous was an understatement. I mean, I'm in the presence of heroes who in some cases, are literally gods. I'm just a spoiled rich kid with a super IQ and a high tech suit that allows me to control light. Some of these guys scare the shit out of me. Dark Warrior seems particularly ominous, and Modi with his Hammer worries me. It doesn't look that bad at first sight, but I know now that it can pry my suit open like a freaking tin can.

Marshal Strong seems ok, but he likes to throw punches pretty quick when things don't seem to go his way. Elusion seems the most laid back of the bunch; our both being scientists likely makes us both more analytical in certain situations.

Anyway, when we got to the ship, we find out the captain has seemingly been killed, and the rest of the crew have been turned into some kind of cybernetic beings. They refused to follow our orders, and we ended up in a fight with the two that were conscious.

I was all ready nervous seeing Dark Warrior go into a rage, and attack a freaking asteroid! Granted, it had robot spiders coming out of it, but still, it was a scary sight.

Being nervous, I screwed up my targeting sight, and accidentally hit Modi in the back of the head with a low yield laser blast. The look on his face when he turned to me made me almost piss myself. I was sweating bullets; I need to add more cooling units to the internal part of the armor!

These cyborgs were tough, and I held back, mostly out of fear of being in the way. I was able to blind one of them, but the bulk of the fighting was Modi, Strong and Warrior against them. Elusion was accessing the ship's computers, and he was able to get some info.

After ejecting both cyborgs into space, Strong ran into some kind of alien life form. We left the Gilgamesh, and destroyed it from a distance.

I can't believe I came out of that fight without a scratch. I still get the shakes when I think about it. If I wasn't as smart as I am, I'd probably be stupid enough to become an alcoholic like that comic book character did.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Enough Calamari to feed a 3rd world nation
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I saw Manning and his son get into it today. Looks like the kid wants nothing to do with his father. I need to see if I can exploit that to dig up some dirt for CHESS.

Some loser villain named Ray took on a new identity. He faked his own death in order to get to Black Mesa, and kill some heroes. Calling himself Death Ray, he went after Black Warrior. I tried to laser him, but he was in some kind of ghost form. He was scared when I tried to blind him, but in the end, Dark Warrior went into the same ghostly form, and kicked him in the nuts.

We had to take him back to Deep Six. It was pretty boring. this guy is kind of challenged, so he kept watching cartoons on the trip. turns out he really likes the Smurfs.

On the way back, we got a distress call that a cruise ship was being attacked by a giant squid. I accessed satellite info, and we saw it was being controlled by the Sub Human. This guy was a hero who went MIA 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure he's gone insane, which means if we don't stop him fast, the Moevians will. He also had some servants that looked like those sea monkey things they used to advertise in the back of comic books.

Dark Warrior flew Modi and I with him (as he flies faster than my armor does). DW went right after the squid after throwing Modi at Sub Human. What I saw next scared me worse than our mission in space.

Modi literally took off Sub Human's right arm with his hammer! I almost threw up in the armor, but I had to save his trident. It might be of use, so I wanted to save it. I did, but had to get the arm off it. Gross.

Warrior was going toe to toe with the squid. Not sure what to do, I set off a wide range flash of light, affecting the Squid and the monkey things. The monkey things jumped off the ship, which meant the passengers and crew would be ok.

Though blinded, the squid got the upper hand on Warrior. I charged it, and stabbed it's closed eye with the trident, but don't know if it did much. I kept hearing Modi and Sub Human fighting (they had crashed into the ship through it's deck while brawling).

Warrior came back at the Squid, and knocked it up out of the water. I fired off a series of laser beams, cutting off 4 of it's tentacles. It fell back into the water, and appeared to be dead.

One of the monkey people waved at me. I approached him, but he spoke to me in German! I don't know German, so I didn't know what to do. Warrior showed up, and used some kind of mind communication with the thing. I touched him, joining in. turns out these monkey people were transformed by Sub Human, and used to be german citizens. This is bad. This guy is nuts, and can transform people and sea life into monsters. I am so out of my depth here (no pun intended)

Modi and Sub Human are in the water now, and a giant wave is approaching. I'm trying to get the people on the ship organized, but they're in a panic about the giant wave. Except it's not a wave. It's a whale larger than the cruise ship! Trying not to hyperventilate, I try and come up with a plan of action.

Modi is on the surface, and he's beating the whale with his hammer. I go for a blinding flash on it, but this thing is so huge. I'm contemplating a suicide run into it's mouth, and just firing lasers at it's inside. I might do some damage before I die.

Warrior actually thought of something I should have. He mentally connected with the whale, and convinced it to leave. Thank god! Even Modi was hardly doing anything with his hammer of doom!

The ship is damaged though, and we need to evacuate everyone. Over a hundred passengers and crew died when the whale struck the side of the ship with it's massive fin though. I call our sub, and instruct them to organize a massive rescue operation. With Warrior's aid, we get Johan (the sea monkey who spoke to us) to have the sea monkey people help save everyone.

Sub Human got away, but he lost an arm, and Modi says he broke the other one, and part of his leg. I hope he doesn't come back. That whale could have killed all of us.

Now we need to find a way to help Johan and his fellow sea monkeys. They were people once; can they be so again? And is this trident just plain old coral, or something more?

I still feel out of my league, but my confidence is growing. I still think I need to try and figure out how to replicate Dark Warrior's Omni Wave though. If he ever turns crazy like Sub Human did, it might be the only way of stopping him. I know my armor alone wouldn't last five seconds against him.

Still, I'm starting to realize that even though I rely on my armor, I'm possibly the only one who won't go insane some day. Which means I may be the only one who may have to stop my team mates if they go over the edge. I don't stand a chance in hell, but I still have to prepare myself to try.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2010 at 4:21pm by Gerry »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: A Glaring commentary
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Excellent!  I love hearing from the player's perspectives.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Nice!! Glare is already planning on Killing Me!! I Love It!!

Wally Spec,

A.K.A. The Dark Warrior
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2010 at 6:08pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 12:34am
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 5:14pm:
Excellent!  I love hearing from the player's perspectives.

I was reading the Dark Warrior thread, and thought it might be nice if I did it for Glare.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 12:37am
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 6:08pm:
Nice!! Glare is already planning on Killing Me!! I Love It!!

Seeing what he can do, and seeing him lose it on the first mission scared the shit out of Glare. Seeing what happened to Sub Human, and how powerful he was as a lunatic, also made him realize that one day, his team mates might go that same route.

so he figures that even though he likely has no chance in hell, he needs to at least make some preparations. Kind of like Iron Man with his Hulkbuster/Thorbuster armor, I need a Dark Warrior buster armor  Tongue

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Don't sweat it Glare. Dark Warrior is all talk.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Two words for Ellusion.

Devitalization Ray.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:41am:
Don't sweat it Glare. Dark Warrior is all talk. 

Make that crazy talk

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
It is Under Control!!

Wally Spec
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2010 at 1:58pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Hey Gerry these are good posts. Like a superhero diary. Nice work man!

And yes Wally, everything is under control. Now look at the nice ceiling and drink this...that's it..relax....go to sleep....

Ok he's all yours Abberant..good luck.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
You guys are too much!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Great writing, Gerry!  Well done!!!   Smiley

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
thanks Majestic. I look forward to the next session, to see what new comments Glare has about his team mates, and the threats they face

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #15 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 4:00am
Print Post  
Carter Manning approached me outside the offices where I work for his father. He wanted me to help him with a secret project that isn't connected to his father's business. Curious, I heard him out. He showed me designs for some kind of suit. Not like mine though. This one is for use underwater, with a bit of a manta ray look. I told him I would, and we shook hands.

First chance I got, I contacted my superior at CHESS. I don't know what Carter wants to use the suit for, but if he plans on using it for evil, CHESS can confiscate it, and give it to someone to use for good. Either way, I plan on building a fail safe into it, so if he does use it for evil, I can shut it down from my own armored suit.

We got together today, and were working on the suit. He has some interesting ideas for it; I didn't think Carter was that technically inclined, even though his father is. I started working on the failsafe, secretly working it into the components were were building.

I got back to Black Mesa late, and learned that Colonel Strong and Elusion had gotten into a battle with a woman claiming to be the daughter of the Wargod, an old foe they had faced before. Strong was wounded, and Elusion is reported killed in action. This saddens me. He was the most stable of the heroes I'm working with, and was far more intelligent than I am. He knew the Omni Wave device inside and out which means I may never figure out how to replicate it now.  Where the hell were Dark Warrior and Modi while this was going down? From the description of this woman Sera, Modi would have loved shattering her limbs with that hammer of his.

Thew world has just become a little bit darker.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #16 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Quote:
Where the hell were Dark Warrior and Modi while this was going down?

Rumor has it they were together, in the darkest room of the dark mesa, if you catch my drift.

Yes Elusion is dead. Very sad day but what can you do.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #17 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Dec 4th, 2010 at 11:27am:
Rumor has it they were together, in the darkest room of the dark mesa, if you catch my drift.

oh my. Guess they are both losing it all ready  Cheesy

Paul wrote on Dec 4th, 2010 at 11:27am:
Yes Elusion is dead. Very sad day but what can you do.

Bummer. Makes me wish I could have made it last night. so who will be popping up next, now that Elusion is gone?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Gerry,
I made the bad guys so bad ass because I thought you were comming!

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Dec 4th, 2010 at 12:47pm:
Gerry,
I made the bad guys so bad ass because I thought you were comming! 

I think Glare would have died last night then. He hasn't been in a straight up fight yet, and I bet those grenades would have torn through his armor from what Paul said the die results were. Guess not feeling well saved my character for one more adventure  Tongue

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #20 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Well one of her main advantages was her supereyesight, so maybe your blinding attack could have nullified that and changed the course of the battle.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #21 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
And now Glare can suffer a guilt trip for not being there...

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #22 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Not all attacks involve a die roll! Cheesy

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #23 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:46am
Print Post  
[Glare is seen sitting in front of a TV, watching a video of Modi, Wally and himself sitting at a table. Modi is pointing to where Glare's laser had sheared his hair on their first mission together. Glare is seen on screen apologizing to Modi for doing that, but Modi just laughs, and slaps Glare on the back. They raise their tankards together, then drink. Glare shuts the tv off]

I still can't believe they're gone. Wally and Modi were the two most powerful beings I've ever met. Sure, they were both unstable, and one day I may have had to try and take them down. Still, they were good people. I regret that this mission involving Carter Manning kept me from fighting beside them the last time anyone say them. A part of me feels like I let them down. Wally supposedly gave his life to save the universe (or so the report I read states), and it's possible whatever he did caused the White Event. With Elusion dead and Marshal Strong on a long term assignment, it's just me now.

I don't know if I can do this alone. I'm still a rookie, but now I find myself the most experienced "hero" working for Chess at Black Mesa. What a joke! I'm no hero! I'm some guy who built a suit of powered armor modeled on a comic book character I read as a kid. I don't have real powers.  I've been on two real missions, and both times, Dark Warrior & Modi did the bulk of the fighting. Hell, Elusion did more than I did. The CHESS brass tell me that I'm important to rebuilding the team; they must be crazy. How do you replace such powerful beings? I just don't know if I'm cut out for this.

At least the Moevians are gone from our solar system. I hope they never come back. I feel they are one of the reasons Wally's dead, and Modi is gone.

Work with Carter on this suit of his is progressing. I've bugged his lab with cameras, so I can record everything. I've also figured out how to work a secret kill switch into the suit in case he plans on using it for criminal purposes. I don't think he is, but better safe than sorry.

I need to build the kill switch in my lab back at Science City. Guess I'll head over there tomorrow.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
This is really good stuff Gerry!!!! Smiley

Oh..and MODI misses you too...or he will...when he sobers up Wink

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #25 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hell, Elusion did more than I did

That's messed up Gerry! Elusion will return from the dead and put your light out!

Cool

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #26 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Gerry, I am enjoying your writing. Keep up the great work. Smiley

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #27 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
STORMDANCE wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:08pm:
This is really good stuff Gerry!!!! Smiley

Thanks! I was kind of motivated to have him show his mixed feelings. Even though Modi and Wally scared the shit out of him, he respected them for using their powers to help others, and not just themselves. I also like playing him as this scared, unsure person.

STORMDANCE wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:08pm:
Oh..and MODI misses you too...or he will...when he sobers up Wink

Heh! Maybe one day John will do an adventure where we can go to Asgard and see him...

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #28 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:11pm:
That's messed up Gerry! Elusion will return from the dead and put your light out!

Cool

Yeah, that comment didn't come out the way I intended. I was writing that stuff before I forgot the ideas I wanted to convey, and I was pretty tired when I did it.

Elusion was probably the one guy Glare respected the most, since he seemed the most sane. Even Marshal Strong made him nervous, since he tended to hit things when non violence might have been an option  Tongue

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #29 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:43pm:
Gerry, I am enjoying your writing. Keep up the great work. Smiley

Thanks Hawk! I haven't played too many sessions so far, but I'm enjoying the camaraderie of John's group. Even when the characters fight and bicker amongst themselves, the players are just having fun.

Having not had a regular group to play in for a few years now, it's good to join a group like this, and I appreciate how they've accepted me. It's giving me a lot of inspiration for these journals.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #30 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Things are really getting crazy. I didn't sleep well the night before. Had some weird dreams I can't fully recall, but I know they were bad, cause I woke up sweating. I was working on that kill switch in my lab, when Dr. Robson came in. It appears that Dr Yurt, who designed Science City, appeared in the morgue on the first floor of the complex.

Dr. Yurt went a little bonkers when Manning didn't follow his designs on how the city was supposed to be built, and kept claiming there was something wrong with its symmetry.

Robson asked me to suit up as Glare, and accompany security to the morgue. I did so, and saw that one of the guards was no a metahuman, obviously changed by the White Event. He kind of reminded me of that Elric character whose stories I read as a kid. He seemed a bit paranoid, as he was keeping his distance from me. He wouldn't walk in front of me, so I just ignored him. I did contact CHESS with my communicator, and inform them that an unknown Metahuman was in the research complex.

When we got to the morgue, the guards started cocking their weapons, because Yurt wasn't alone. One of his two companions was a Moevian! What the hell was he doing here? I thought all of them were gone! CHESS needs to know that they left someone behind! I tried to get the guards to lower their weapons so I could question the Moevian, but that albino dude blasted Dr. Yurt. All hell broke loose as the guards opened fire. I blasted their weapons, but Yurt's other companion started to fight with the albino. The Moevian brought us all together telepathically, and we all learned that Robson was a metahuman himself!

Seems that CHESS was right about covert experiments. Robson was calling something called "Zomborgs". I tried to blind everyone to stop the fighting, but then some weird fog rolled in from the street. I got blasted by the albino, which damaged my armor. Another blast of something hit me, but I didn't really hurt me. I started calling CHESS for an assault team, because I was in way over my head!

The Moevian knocked Robson out around the same time, then warned us that the Zomborgs were coming. Sure enough, these men with cybernetics were coming down the hall at us. They looked dead, and appeared to be drooling. I fired a blast at one, but as I was freaking out, I missed, and blew a gas line. The explosion knocked me out.

When I woke up a little while later, it seems all the new metahumans were fighting these zomborgs together. Through the mindlink the Moevian had with all of us, I learned that someone on the floor above knew one of us was a CHESS agent, and that they wanted to use us as guinea pigs for an experiment. I almost threw up at that point, because I suspected they wanted to make us into zomborgs.

I blinded the ones attacking us, and albino guy and someone who was apparently invisible took them out. Yurt was up, looking pretty beat up, and motioning for us to go through some door. More importantly, there was this humanoid frog thing in the morgue. It had been autopsied, but was now sitting up, pulling pins out of it's body!

Figuring this was some experiment they did, I wanted to take it with me. However, the albino turned it into mush with a blast of energy. Seeing Robson unconscious nearby, I grabbed him, and went to escape with Yurt. The Moevian and his companion joined me. Albino and this other person (who may have been the invisible attacker from earlier) hesitated, but then joined us. Now we're in these tunnels underneath Science City, running for our lives. I hope that CHESS team arrives soon. Robson is proof that Manning is doing something. If we can survive long enough to meet up with them, I'll have accomplished the mission CHESS recruited me for. Maybe Robson knows what happened to my dad. If he wakes up, I might just have to "ask" him about that.

As scared as I am, I have to get Robson to CHESS. Nothing else matters right now.

[To be continued]

Edit: forgot the plot point about the bad dreams, I edited it in
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2011 at 3:45am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
What I like about Glare, is that he does what a hero should do.  His first attack was to disarm the mercenaries, without attacking them.   He then blinded everyone and stopped the fight.   He then tried his best to help the Dead Frog.

I forget,  Gerry, did you get the Hero Bonus? If not, you should have.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Nope he didn't. I think the only bonus was to Jimmy for combat.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #33 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:03pm:
What I like about Glare, is that he does what a hero should do.  His first attack was to disarm the mercenaries, without attacking them.   He then blinded everyone and stopped the fight.   He then tried his best to help the Dead Frog.

Well, I look at Glare from the aspect of him being a scientist first. So he's not a really violent person by nature. Then add in his insecurity, and he tends to be cautious with his attacks. Blinding people means they can't see him to hurt him, and well, he usually has comrades to take them down after he blinds them.

He targeted the mercs because he didn't want anyone hurt from bullets flying everywhere in such close quarters. Blinding everyone was to stop the fight, because he didn't really know what else to do. Helping the frog man was more self serving, since he considered the Frog Man proof that Manning was conducting illegal experiments (which is why CHESS recruited him, to find proof Manning isn't the good person he appears to be).

It's a stark contrast from how I usually play heroes. I like it though. It's been giving me good inspiration for these journals!

John wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:03pm:
I forget,  Gerry, did you get the Hero Bonus? If not, you should have.

No, because when we discussed it, it was kind of agreed that no one was being particularly heroic during the main fight. I didn't feel that Glare's actions really did a good job of stopping the fight (considering Deacon being blinded caused a guard to die when his mind control flubbed!), I didn't think Glare did something that heroic  Embarrassed

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #34 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Still, if someone seconds it,  I think Glare should have gotten the Hero Bonus.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools

>