Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Glaring commentary (Read 29980 times)
Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Re: A Glaring commentary
Reply #70 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:49am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:31am:
Echo's sheild was just a sheild.  Her reflection power was an inate power.

Well, until Glare actually studies the shield, he won't know that  Grin

Of course, when he figures that out, he'll be sorely disappointed.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #71 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
It's been awhile since I've written any journal entries, as I've been so busy of late.

After the events I last documented, I've spent a lot of time in the Dark Mesa engineering labs, improving on my armor. I was able to almost double the protective coating, while keeping the weight distribution the same. I also increased my power output, so my energy supply won't run low as fast. I also increased the out put of my laser blast, so that it is slightly more effective. Lastly, I was able to create a holographic emitter, so I can now create images to distract opponents with. I was trying to reduce it's power cost, but I screwed up somehow, and blew out power in the labs.

At that point, I was called in by the brass. I figured I was in deep shit over the power outage, but it turns out something else had priority. Seems my new team mates had been dispatched to deal with a threat to Prince Drakkar Island, home to the head of CHESS R&D. I'm a novice compared to this guy, except when it comes to Dimensional Physics (as I'm the one who invented the science after our incursion to the Shadow Realm).

To make sure I got there ASAP, they had my armor attached to a booster rocket, and launched me up into the Upper Atmosphere. I almost passed out from the lower level of air; I made a note to add life support systems next time I can get into the lab. Once the rocket did it's job, I engaged my internal propulsion system, and rocketed toward the island (no pun intended!)

When I got there, I found both Kid Nemesis AND Captain Atlas out cold. This kind of freaked me out, as Atlas is the strongest being on the planet! The rest filled me on the situation, and I hacked into the computer system for the island, BINARY, and got the access codes. We went inside, and using a schematic BINARY provided, took Atlas and the Kid to the medical center.

After getting them taken care of, we found where Harold Van Irye, aka the Quidnunc was. He was supposed to be alone, but when we opened a camera view, we saw some skull headed guy in pirates clothes was sawing his head off with a cutlass!

We rushed down there, and after a short fight, defeated the skull pirate (known as Jolly Rodger). Startide and Warlock took Quidnunc's head to the Null room, keeping his brain from dying.

The Ancient Mariner was also in the complex, and after trying to both gas and electrocute him using the bases defenses, we trapped him between two titanium walls.

While all this was going on, and army of Deep Ones (a race that live under the ocean) were storming the beach, supposedly summoned by a creature named Deep Blue. Startide and I activated the bases external defenses, which held them back for the time being.

(to be continued)

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #72 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Warlock tried to communicate with Deep Blue via Telepathy, but she put the whammy on him, and he started to rant that he had to be with his love. Startide used a gravity warp on him, then I knocked him out with a synaptic scrambler (a weapon I had procured from the base's arsenal). Kid woke him up by splashing water on him, and Warlock seemed to have regained his senses.

While all this was going on, Stormbringer was talking to the Mariner. Mariner told him that he was a thrall of something called  "The Spirit of the Sea". This unseen force had communicated with Stormbringer before I arrived, and had told him it would enjoy eating his brain. From what I gather, some suspect it's an Illithid, which is a telepathic alien race.

Mariner demanded to be set free, and when we wouldn't, he blew his conch. He was able to regain control of Deep Blue, and along with Rock Lobster and some animated being made of seaweed, along with the Deep Ones, prepared to assault the complex again. We decided there and then to take Mariner out of the fight. Kid and I went to where he was trapped. Kid disarmed him, and I knocked him out with the scrambler.

Deep Blue, free from Mariner's control, started her singing again. Warlock, Startide and Stormbringer all heard the song, and barely resisted being lulled by it's mind controlling quality. Rock Lobster broke into the base, wanting tobacco that Mariner promised him. Kid went to fill his pipe with it, but Spirit of the Sea somehow mind controlled him, and Kid knocked the pipe out of his claw, angering the creature.

Stormbringer took Mariner's conch, and blew it, giving him control over the various creatures. He ordered them all to leave, and they did. As we knew Spirit of the Sea was still around, Startide and I searched the labs for anything that could help us locate and attack it. We found an ectoplasmic scanner, and an ectoplasmic blaster. After figuring out how they worked, we searched the base. We found Spirit (and confirmed it was an Illithid), and I blasted it with the weapon, destroying it's astral form.

Breathing a sigh of relief, we all locked down the base, and started helping the base staff with medical treatment in the medical bay, until CHESS sent reinforcements to secure the island completely.

It's sad about what happened to Quidnunc. I could learn a lot from this guy. Still, I learned about BINARY, and now know how to use the EP scanner and blaster.

Once we got back to base, I went through debrief, and filed a report for the higher ups. Then I hit the sack. I needed rest before heading back to the lab again (if they let me!)

[Sorry I took so long with this one. Been kind of busy]

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

In which I meet Scion, and fight my first Movian Meta
Reply #73 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I was only able to work in the lab one day, which I got yanked for some field duty again. I was able to lower the power usage of my holograms though, so it wasn't so bad. I did learn that Modi has returned though. I wanted to see him, but they rushed me out of Black Mesa before I could welcome him back. I've still got some of that mead he gave me before he disappeared, so we'll have to sit down and have a tankard or two when this mission is over.

CHESS is launching satellites into space that will release some kind of nanonet around the planet, in the hopes that it will foil Movian cloaking tech. Captain Atlas and Powerhouse are actually lifting the satellites up by hand, and flying them into space! I'm working with Scion, whom I've never met before. She's pretty powerful from what I've read in the data files. She's pretty friendly, though she bust my chops over blasting the back of Modi's head on my first mission (god, that seems so long ago now!).

This is boring duty, but a few hours in, we get a priority alert. Some kind of possible alien craft has crashed in New Jersey, and they've requested metahuman assistance. Scion (who flies much faster than I do) grabs me, and we take off. I tap into local radio stations, and relay to her via communicator what info I can pick up. I really need to get back to the lab so I can finish that holo communications array for my armor!

Anyway, we get there in a few minutes, and it's a fucking disaster area. The ship crashed into an industrial area, and damaged a power plant. Scion goes to help with rescue operations, while I check in with the local law enforcement.
While Scion rescues some civilians, I do a fly over the craft to get a closer look. There's some weird damage to the top; it looks like something crystallized part of the hull! The dome on top has fissures in it, and I can see movement inside.

When Scion rejoins me, she moves in closer (the flames don't bother her; I really need to add that life support function ASAP!), and something inside sends her a telepathic warning. She tells me it was in English, but with a Movian accent! She grabs a girder, and starts to beat at the dome, until she finally breaks through! A Movian leaps out at her, swinging, and they start to tangle.

As I move in closer, I see another humanoid with some kind of black energy surrounding them, and another one that's definitely alien. Scion has thrown the big dude away, and is now flying into the ship. I still hover above, unsure what to do. I see her attack them with the girder, but it disintegrates when it almost touches the crackling dude. She concentrates on the alien looking one more, and it's body contorts (I later learned their bodies are malleable). The crackling dude aims at her back; I fire off four laser blasts to try and prevent him from hitting her. He hits her with his blast, but my laser blasts take him out of the fight.

I go into the ship to check on Scion when the big Movian leaps back in, swinging. He hits my armor once, and the shockwave my internal sensors register freak me out! If I had been wearing my original armor, it would have taken a nasty hit from that. Thank god I improved on that!

Scion starts slugging it out with him, so I check on crackling alien. From what I can discern, he has some kind of anti-matter field surrounding his body. I call CHESS immediately, and tell them we need an anti-matter containment unit. Since they have none, I have to tell them on the fly how to make one!

Scion has thrown the Movian away from the ship. She calls me over the comm, but at that moment, the other alien does some kind of mental attack on me. It fucking hurts, and I scream. Scion rushes back to the ship, and attacks it, but doesn't seem to affect it. I'm pissed, so I fire off four more laser blasts. The first one misses, but the other three nearly cut it in half at the waist! It collapses, and goes kind of gooey everywhere.

The Movian returns, and misses me, but hits Scion. I was going to try out my holograms on him, but Scion flew straight up, and came back down fast. She slammed into the guy, and drove him through the ship into the ground underneath! When she came back up from underneath, she was covered in dirt. I shudder to think what the other guy looks like!

I was checking out the ships systems, when Scion noticed something wrong with the crackling guy. I yelled that he was going to meltdown, so she grabbed him, and flew up towards space. She threw him into orbit, and he blew up. She caught part of the blast, but was able to make it back safely. She likely saved a good portion of the northeastern United States that day. I made sure to tell CHESS to stop making the containment chamber, as it was no longer needed.

When CHESS arrived to take over, we discovered the alien looking one escaped. I was pissed at myself for not keeping a closer eye on it.

Scion tried to tap into the ship's computers, but didn't get far. As no one has my level of skill with computers, she gave me a crash course on the Movian language for the next 2-3 days. Once I was ready, I broke through the encryption, and learned this was a Movian Scout ship. The strong guy was called Atomic Child, and the crackling guy was called Entropy. The alien looking one was called Alien Intelligence. It was from the Confederation, a coalition of alien races who had warred with the Movians in the past. Seems they are skeptical we're the threat the Movians make us out to be, so we might have blundered by attacking it.

However, the bigger discovery was what caused them to crash. They were attacked in space by a being that glowed golden. Whether it was human or Movian, I have no clue. The blast it fired caused their hyperdrive to turn to crystal! They didn't get any energy readings before they crashed; if they had, I could have built a scanner so we could locate this being. We could use an ally like this right now!

Once I got back to Black Mesa, I got a good night's sleep. Then I was back at the lab, working on the suit again. I finally got the Life Support module working. At least now, I can function in space if need be. I also worked out a way to offshoot my holo emitters into a HUD. I can use visual comms inside the armor. More importantly, I can use it to make images outside the armor, so I can share the images with my team mates.

Even better: I found a way to link my armor to all the spy satellites orbiting the planet. That's going to come in handy when we're heading on a mission, as I can get up to date imaging of where ever we have to go. That might allow us to get the drop on our enemies, and not get ambushed. It might not always work, but hey, I couldn't do that before.

I need a shower now. Then I think I'm going to find that overbearing Norse God, and drink some fucking mead. After all that's happened of late, I need a damn drink!

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #74 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
A new journal entry will be up this weekend, as well as the start of one for my new character, Coldsteel. In the interim, here at long last is the completed image for Glare. Everyone at the game last night liked it, and I'm pleased with how it came out:

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #75 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Mar 20th, 2011 at 1:05pm:
Cool armor. I can't wait to see it colored.

Looks good. Smiley I can't wait on the Glaring commentary. How about giving us some information on your new character. Smiley

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #76 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Dec 18th, 2011 at 12:39am:
Looks good. Smiley I can't wait on the Glaring commentary. How about giving us some information on your new character. Smiley

Thanks. I'm going to do a journal for Coldsteel, so info on what he can do will be mentioned there  Wink

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

The Movian War: First Salvo
Reply #77 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 4:15am
Print Post  
We were called into a big planning session today, headed by Marshal Strong. Everyone was there, from Captain Atlas down to some new Metahuman named Coldsteel. We were going over plans to deal with the upcoming attack by the Movians against Earth. Captain Warlock kept trying to convince everyone that we needed to find a peaceful solution, and all Captain Atlas wanted to know was when he could smash something.

I did bring up the unknown Meta that was recorded by the Movian scout ship Scion and I encountered in NJ, and Strong confirmed him as Captain Astro, cosmic powered Meta.

I did learn that the Movian are divided into 3 main castes: The Military, the Merchants, the Church. The Military and Church want to destroy us, while the Merchants want to use us for cross breeding, as their race has stagnated, and is slowly dying out. Warlock had learned that the Merchants would attempt a snatch and grab raid to steal as many women as possible before the Military tries to destroy the sun. I also learned the Merchants do have their own cadre of Movian Metas, much like the Military has their Elites.

They also use specially bred troops called Orrush, akin to the Orcs from Tolkein's novels. They also have servants called Drow, much like the evil elves from a popular roleplaying game.

While Warlock was arguing his case for a peaceful resolution again, I got a stream from the nano-net around the planet. The Merchants raiding fleet had arrived, and were all ready engaged with The Top Five, a team of heroes (and as I later learned, Captain Astro). Within seconds, Atlas, Powerhouse & Scion flew into space to join the battle.

Strong divided the rest of us into teams, and started having Gate teleport us into the ships not under attack (and in locations provided by Looker, who can see that far into space from Mesa). I was teamed with Kid Nemesis & Modi. When it was our turn to port, Kid leaps through the gate, instead of letting Modi lead the way. Modi went in after him, and I flew in behind him.

When I got through the gate, I saw we were in a troop pod, and all these Orrush were harnessed in. Some Drow were flying around in Jet Packs, and they were engaged with Kid and Modi. I fired off a series of lasers at some of them, but my second or third shot misfired, and much like my first mission, hit Modi in the back of the head! I'm hoping that the portal threw my targeting sensors off a bit, and that it wasn't me being nervous (which I was).

One of the Drow fired at me, and my armor got peppered with heavy slugs. I actually felt the last two, and was pretty sure one of my ribs got bruised. Now I was getting nervous; I've slugged it out with Movian Elites, and some fucking stromtrooper is damaging my armor with an alien machine gun? I threw up a set of light duplicates of myself to confuse them; now was as good a time as any to try out my new holo emitters.

Modi hit some wicked move with his hammer that took out all the Orrush in their harnesses, but the Drow were unfazed. After awhile, Kid went to some hatch, and went through, trying to reach the ship's bridge. Modi followed shortly after, and I was left alone with the Drow. I blinded them with my armor flash, which caused them to drop their weapons. However, they drew these wicked looking blades, and I knew I was in trouble....

[To be continued....]

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #78 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 3:29am
Print Post  
While Kid and Modi took out the ship's bridge and it's crew (including fighting a Meta), I was in a desperate battle with the five Drow. Although blinded, two of them scored hits on my armor, their blades causing damage to it. It was slowly getting wrecked, and I was in deep trouble. Modi and Kid returned to the pod once they had finished wrecking the bridge. In short order, the remaining drow fled into space with their packs.

However, Orrush from another pod were starting to enter the one we had taken out. As the ship was out of action, we decided to pull back. Gate opened a portal, and we retreated back to Black Mesa. I later learned Gate was almost sucked through her own portal to the ship, as we were fighting in a vacuum. Thankfully, Warlock saved her from being killed!

The Battle in space was still going on, but I was pretty much out of commission, as my armor was heavily damaged. An enemy ship had landed in London though, so Kid & Modi, Strong, Startide, Warlock and Coldsteel went to engage them. I got out of my armor (which was sent to the lab for repairs), and started working with Seer on coordinating things from the Mesa. I hated being out of the fight, but my armor was almost totaled.

As I watched my friend port to London, I couldn't help thinking that if these were second stringers compared to the regular Movian military, how hard was it going to be to face the real Movian forces?

I was glad to see my team mates drive the Movians out of London. The remnants of the Merchant caste fleet fled back to their homeworld. Their big snatch and grab had failed. of the 200,000 women they had wanted to abduct, the fled home with 134. That's still too many innocents to lose, but it couldn't be helped. We were caught off guard this time, but Seer assured me next time the nano-net will detect them sooner.

I need to rest now. Tomorrow I have to repair my armor again, so that I'm ready for whatever comes next.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #79 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
It's been awhile since I've done a journal entry. It's taken me awhile to repair my armor after the battles with the Moevian merchant raiders. On top of that, I had to help Carter Manning finish his Manta suit. He's told me that his father is doing some illegal drilling underwater, and he's concerned that its going to damage the environment. I've agreed to help him go down to the site, and take out the drills. I don't know if anyone else on the team would help. Well, I know Modi would, but I can't say what the others would think. Or what CHESS will think either.

Most of the team was away on another mission when a breaking news story from Japan showed a half dozen Jellymen coming out of the ocean carrying a large gurney with a giant egg on it. I was sent with Magnum, and they let Captain Warlock out of incarceration to assist since he's been cooperating. I wasn't happy when I learned of his apparent betrayal on his last mission, but I've come to respect him for his past efforts with the team.

We flew to Japan, where it turns out that even though my armor looks like one of their anime mechs, Magnum is much more popular than I am! He had to convince the Japanese authorities to let us assist after the man on the comm didn't recognize me!

After a quick discussion with the authorities on scene (and having the local press in our faces), Magnum flies towards the egg, and slices it open with his blades. This gets the Jellymen moving, and they start to attack him. The egg cracks open, and this creature starts expanding. It lets out some kind of gas, and the civilians on the beach starting suffering ill effects. My armor protected me, and Warlock tried to use his TK to shield the people. Magnum was fighting the creature and the Jellymen, and I tried to assist him with the Lightning gun I had taken from the armory (we all took one, as the Jellymen are susceptible to electrical attacks).

I was able to destroy one of the Jellymen, and the rest started to attack me after Magnum flew too high for them to reach. He took them out with some phosphorus grenades, so I flew up and blinded the creature, as it had been tearing up Magnum pretty good. His attacks didn't look like it was doing much damage, so I fire some laser blasts into it's mouth. That just pissed it off, and it went to snap at me.

Magnum put a magnetic field around my armor to protect me, and threw some knockout grenades into it's mouth. It started to go down, so I backed off. I caught a brief telepathic flash from Warlock that salt was the cure for the gas the creature emitted. The creature went out, which kind of shocked me, seeing as how it was shrugging off Magnum's attacks.

Warlock informed us that the creature had come from Island Zero, and was supposed to be part of "the test" we learned about when we met The Sheppard. As it was stolen, he was angry, but told Warlock it was no longer his concern.

As the JDF moved in to assist the civilians injured by the gas. Magnum started to drag the creature into the ocean by it's tail. It woke up, and ran deeper into the ocean. Magnum let it go, as it was no longer a threat. He went to get stitched up, while I coordinated with the JDF on securing and helping the injured.

While we were both distracted, Warlock took off. When I learned this, this sudden rage came over me. I started to plan to carve him up with my lasers, and stick his organs into jars. He made a fool of both Magnum and myself, and he would pay! Then, I'd seek out the Blue Blood, and show him that I was smarter than the rest of the Octagon! I'd show all these fools that I was one of the smartest men on the planet!

As I started to formulate my revenge on Warlock, an echo of his last telepathic transmission "The cure is Salt" surfaced, and I came to my senses. I started to feel sick to my stomach. I had been told that my brain functions had entered into superhuman state, and I obviously suffered a bout of Metapsychosis. I almost threw up in armor at that point, disgusted at the thoughts that had come over me.

So this is what the Moevians feared about metahumans? This wasn't good. Somehow, Warlock's mental powers had helped me overcome succumbing to the Humaru state. As pissed as I was that he took off like a criminal, it seems I owed him one. First chance I get, I need a full physical at Black Mesa. That was a close call. Had I given in to those dark urges, I have no doubt that Magnum would have carved me to pieces.

More than ever, I'm afraid. Afraid of what I could become, but worse, of what my more powerful team mates could become. If one of them ever turns like that, how in God's name will I be able to stop them? I'm going to have to make more improvements on my armor, and just to be safe, I need to build a fail safe into it. Since I can't trust the team (being susceptible to this like I am), I'll give it to Carter. If I ever turn, he can shut my armor down so I don't kill anyone.

I feel really tired now. Bad enough that we have an alien race trying to wipe us out. Now I have to worry about turning on my own team mates. How much worse can things get?

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

No Sleep till Brooklyn...
Reply #80 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Magnum and I got reamed for the debacle in Japan the other day. All because Warlock escaped. They were the ones who let him go with us, and without any wait of containing him if he tried a stunt like this, yet it's our faults?

To make up for our blunder, we've been assigned to investigate a Moevian sighting. After the Moevian Merchant Guild tried to steal as many women as possible, there have been Moevian sightings across the globe multiple times a day. There's a lot of Moevian tech floating around, since many ships crashed, and stuff got scavenged before CHESS or local governments could close off the crash sites.

Anyway, the reason why this sighting is considered legitimate is because a local gang has been using Moevian weapons. That gives credence to this specific sighting.

We started off undercover in a fake florist truck, but ditched it to get a closer look. We flew up to the roof. We detect a spherical object coming up the stairs to the roof, and prepare to confront it. Shortly thereafter, we're attacked by what appears to be Ether. Magnum flies upward, trying to get away, while I wait for whatever is coming up the stairs. Magnum tries to burn the gas being, but it seems unaffected by his grenades. It then attacks me, forcing me to try and elude it (as my lasers don't seem to be affecting it).

Magnum turns his attention to whatever is coming up the stairs, which turns out to be Fantasia, who was one of Dr. Robug's metahuman servants on Island Zero. He attacks her by flinging metal at her, but the sphere we detected was some kind of force field, and protected her from being hurt. Behind her was another meta, who flew over her into the air, and attacked me. He turned out to be Red Vespa, who died during the battle in the House of Wonders that led to the White Event.

While the gas being started to corrode my armor, I took out Vespa with two quick laser blasts. I kept evading the gas being, when Annihilator showed up. He's Moevian, but like Red Vespa, he died just before the White Event. I wonder if their resurrections are related to REDACTED return. Something to ponder.

He and Fantasia double teamed Magnum. I tried to blind him, but he laughed it off. I had read how powerful he was, and knew Magnum and I were in Deep Shit. My armor was getting badly damaged by the corrosive attack by the gas being, so I flew straight up, hoping to lure it into space. I considered flying close to a jet, hoping it would get sucked into a jet engine, when Annihilator knocked out Magnum.

I raced down, past the gas being, and caught him. Except my armor doesn't have strength enhancing servos, so I couldn't hold his weight. We crashed into the building, and I got pinned under Magnum. We were fucking toast!

[to be continued]

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

No Sleep till Brooklyn... Part 2
Reply #81 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 6:14am
Print Post  
While trapped under Magnum, the gas being returned, and changed back to human form. Not wanting to take any chances, I nailed him with 2 laser blasts, taking him out.

Annihilator kept ranting and raving about how he was claiming Earth in the name of the Moevian empire, and how we were weak, etc, etc. He was obviously delusional, and most likely had succumbed to metapsychosis. Magnum came too, and sprung to his feet, facing off with Annihilator. Fantasia used her powers to lift me off the ground, but kept me restrained. She struck me, but I didn't feel it. I blinded her again, while Magnum unleashed a torrent of attacks on Annihilator. His metal spheres kept hitting his force field, barely penetrating. His blades though, cut through; He slashed him good, and before he burst into a puddle of blood inside his own force field, he said "Not again...".

Fantasia fled, and I chased her, even though my armor was at about 20% power. I Fired a series of laser blasts at her, hitting her three times. She was still getting away. Magnum attempted to throw a fuel tanker truck at her, but misjudged his aim, and it struck the J-Train platform exploding. He was knocked out again, and the explosion caused a lot of damage. I saw a J Train coming, and debated what to do. I considered flying into it, hoping my momentum would stop it, but realized if I couldn't lift Magnum, I wouldn't do squat to the train. I flew towards Magnum, and slapped him hard with my gauntlet, waking him up. I told him he had to save the train, and he used his magnetic powers to guide if over the damaged track, so that it could continue on.

After that. we called in emergency services to help the injured, and remove the dead. Vespa and the gas dude were taken into custody. Magnum and I were treated for our wounds, and we went back to Black Mesa to file our reports. I expect we're in even more trouble than we were after Japan.

However, when we got back to Black Mesa, we didn't get called in for an ass chewing. We did our debrief, and that was it. I went to bed, because the next day, I was in the lab repairing my armor. Took me two days to get it back to full capacity.

After fighting this gaseous villain (who I found out calls himself Sublime), I decided I needed to do something about opponents who can't be affected normally. He's the third villain I've encountered who could ignore physical attacks while out of phase (Death Ray being the first, and Red Devil being the second). Since I have all the specs for the Spectral Analyzer and Ectoplasmic cannon that Quidnunc designed. Using his specs and my knowledge of Dimensional Physics, I designed and built a Phase Analyzer for my armor. Now I can detect the frequency of items, so if they're out of phase, I'll know.

Once that was done, I started work on a Phase Compensator, to allow me to modulate my suit's light blasts to affect insubstantial beings. I've got it calibrated just right; now to run a diagnostic on it. Power's on...looks good...oh crap....

[to be continued...]

OOC: I rolled a 00 on my inventing roll, so now Glare got phased into another dimension. Without his armor. This should be good!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #82 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I rolled a 00 on my inventing roll, so now Glare got phased into another dimension. Without his armor. This should be good!

Fucking classic!  Gotta love those horror roles. The 20 on the gas tanker attack was just classic. I was still laughing about it on the ride home.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #83 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Mar 18th, 2012 at 9:40pm:
[quote]
Fucking classic!  Gotta love those horror roles. The 20 on the gas tanker attack was just classic. I was still laughing about it on the ride home.

That was pretty funny. That's two missions in a row where we caused a lot of mayhem!

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #84 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
[new journal entry]

As I write this, I'm lying in bed at the Black Mesa medical center. After my recent adventure, I'm in pretty bad shape. I guess I should start from the beginning.

After the Phase Modulator test went awry, I found myself still in my lab, but it was destroyed. I was unhurt, not a scratch on me. My vision was a little blurry. I went to get an extinguisher, but my hand passed through it!

I realized that I had phased out of sync with reality, but wasn't sure which sub-dimension I was in yet. I saw various creatures moving in the air around me, but they didn't seem to notice me. These Xenophasic entities, as I dubbed them, looked like mollusks, crabs, etc. I walked through the door, and saw emergency teams rushing to deal with the fire. After 1 or 2 of them went through me without any sign they noticed me, I decided to head up from the sub levels into the Mesa itself.

As I entered Black Mesa itself, I felt this urge to keep going up, and realized that in this realm, I could actually "fly". I went up, out of Black Mesa, and started going up into the sky. I saw more of these xenophasic entities, but again, they left me alone.

As I got higher into the sky, I heard a voice call out "Hey Blue! Where you going?". I turned towards the voice, and saw what appeared to be an apparition of a young boy. When he realized I wasn't this Blue, he said "You're not Blue", and and started to leave. I tried to catch up to him, but he was way too fast, and disappeared in short order. Realizing I would never catch up to him, I decided to continue upwards.

[to be continued...]

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #85 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Sounds like it's time to roll up a new character.  At least you went up and not down!
Grin

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #86 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 2:17am
Print Post  
[continuing journal entry]

I kept going upwards, and I noticed some crustacean looking entity was following me. I moved towards it, and sure enough, it attacked me! I tried to avoid it, but it was too fast, and eventually some kind of feeler hit me, but didn't hurt much. I turned on it, and struck out with my fist (since I was without my armor), and it dissipated into a cloud of smoke.

Not seeing any more creatures moving to attack, I continued upwards, until I was above the clouds. I've been up here before in my armor, but without it, the view was just spectacular. I started to notice a light far above me, that seemed to be part of this dimension. I started to move towards it, but that young voice warned me not to. I turned towards it, and the young boy was hovering a distance away from me. I asked him why I shouldn't go there, and he told me because if I did, I'd never return. Obviously that was a doorway to Heaven, and not being dead, I didn't belong there.

I asked him who he was, and he told me his name was Malcolm. He had mistaken me for someone he called Blue, who he claimed was a character from a tv show. After a little coaxing, he told me Blue was Joey from the tv sitcom Friends. WTF?

After some more questions, I learned that Malcolm had gained his ability after the White Event. He can leave his body behind, and traverse this plain. He said that Blue taught him how to use his powers, and that he was his friend. They'd play games together. When I asked him what kind, he told me that Blue would tell him to go somewhere, and then tell him what he saw. When I asked him where he did this, he told me Black Mesa! This was getting interesting now!

Malcolm took me to meet Blue, and we ended up in the women's locker room. The kid thought it was cool to see female agents naked, and I told him it was wrong. he got upset, and left, and I followed him. He looks about 15, but he acts much younger.

We ended up in one of the sub levels, and there was some large, snake-like thing moving in and out of the walls in a circular motion. Malcolm warned me it was dangerous, but when I asked why, he said because Blue told him so. We went deeper into the sub levels to avoid it (as it was going up), when a man walked through the wall...

[to be continued...]

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #87 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Quote:
and there was some large, snake-like thing moving in and out of the walls in a circular motion

Sounds like you guys saw Magnum naked as well.

Cool

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #88 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
[continuing journal entry]

The man saw me, and looked surprised; sure enough, he looked like Matt LeBlanc from Friends. He looked at me thoughtfully, and said "So you survived"; he sounded disappointed. He told Malcolm to go home; the kid seemed unsure, but after telling him to come back later, the kid left.

"So you're Blue?" I asked him. He responded that he was, and that I was becoming a nuisance, and he was glad I was here, as he would deal with me himself. He lunged at me like he wanted to choke me. I'm not much of a fighter, but I started swinging at him. I didn't connect once, and he touched my shoulder, causing me pain.

I started to panic; whoever Blue is, he's been spying on CHESS, and no one knows about it. If I die now, the leak will never be plugged. Remembering how guys like this used to pick on me when I was in high school, I started swinging again, fueled by anger. I missed the first two times, but the other two connected. Blue's face stretched out; he was in astral form, while my body was fully in this plane.

Blue panicked, and started to flee. I chased him, but I collided with one of those snake like creatures. My mind exploded, and I realized these beings were astral projections from Nexus, the master telepath of CHESS.

I started communicating with him, and let him know what was going on. While I was doing so, Blue got away, but Nexus sent out more probes to try and find him. At the same time, he linked me with The Octopus.

I shared my knowledge with him, so that he could recreate my phase modulator, and bring me back to the material world. It took him about a week, during which I was accosted sometimes by various creatures (Nexus told me they're what we consider poltergeists in the material world)

After Octopus completed the device, I prepared to go home. He activated it, and I felt incredible pain, and felt like I was on fire. I blacked out....

And woke up two weeks later in the medical center at Black Mesa. The doctors tell me I've been burned over 90% of my body when I rematerialized. I'm in pretty bad shape, but The Octopus found a way for me to use my armor to move around. I'm now linked to the armor's life support unit; without it, I will die.

As much as that news is bad, there was some good news: CHESS believes that Blue is the Blue Blood, leader of The Octagon. A major leak has been plugged, and Nexus is prepared in case he tries to infiltrate Black Mesa. They also think he's actually someone within CHESS.

Malcolm was brought in; turns out he's autistic, which explains why he seemed so naive. I hope I can build a device to let me communicate with him in his astral state; the kid needs guidance.

I have to call Carter; we've been out of touch for more than three weeks now, and we still need to deal with that undersea facility his father built.

When I first donned the armor, I had no idea the price I would pay for becoming a hero. Now I do. My body scarred, my very life dependent on the armor to stay alive. I've almost succumbed to the Humaru state once, and aliens want to destroy the planet, and wipe out humanity.

Tomorrow, I put the armor on again. It's what I do.

[End Journal Entry]
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2012 at 8:53pm by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #89 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
[New Journal entry]

For the past week, I've had nightmares. I keep seeing that gigantic entity, the one known as Cthulhu. It towers above the Hotel California, it's hand trying to force it's way through Magnum's magnetic force field.

I wake up, my heart racing, my burned flesh covered in sweat. It's still so raw in my mind, that we faced a being out of nightmares, and lived to tell about it.

I guess I should start from the beginning. Phillip Manning was hosting a part on The Hotel California, a massive, mobile deep sea oil drilling platform. Heads of states, celebrities, and numerous super heroes were invited to the inauguration of this vessel. I knew all about it thanks to Phillips son Carter, who had brought me proof that this ship was built using shoddy materials, and skirted numerous international laws. I had spoken with some of my team mates about it, and we were prepared to shut it down. Carter was with us, and he brought his Manta suit with him at my request. Thank god he did too, as you'll soon realize.

Phillip Manning put on one hell of a party. It was excessive in the extreme. He had Blackwater doing security. They claim to be a security firm, but their nothing more than high end mercenaries.

Carter tried to approach his father repeatedly, but was intercepted by Manning's goons at every turn. He was getting real frustrated, and started to lose his temper. The team was busy mingling, and the Mighty Seven, Manning's personal team of superhumans were there.

Most of what went on was pretty boring (other than Captain Atlas & Magnum having an arm wrestling contest) until Carter finally confronted his father. Sure enough, he made Carter look like an ass, which pissed him off. He took off for his room, so I had Omega tail him to be make sure he didn't do something stupid. While Omega was in the hallway, Carter put on his Manta suit, cut a hole in the wall, and went into the water. After reporting back to me, I got Modi & Magnum together, because I knew trouble was brewing...

[To Be Continued]
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2012 at 5:09pm by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #90 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 3:39am
Print Post  
[Journal entry continued]

While Modi, Magnum and I were trying to decide what to do about Carter, we overheard one of the Blackwater operatives communicating with someone. We heard something about grandpa's room being discovered, and that it was time to accelerate the agenda. We grabbed the guard and questioned him. At first he tried to play dumb, but after awhile, he start to giggle, and claimed we were all going to die tonight. We gagged and tied him up, and left him in a closet.

Modi and Magnum both go into the ocean to track Manta Man. With the comments made by the Blackwater goon, they decided to destroy the oil drill once it goes online. Carter went to find a way of disabling the engines.

Magnum also was able to detect hundreds of beings in the water. They come back up so we can figure out what to do. We try contacting Nemesis Kid, but he responded that he was busy "knocking boots". Modi pointed out that Nemesis is a geek, and no way would he act that way. We brought in Captain Atlas to warn him what was going on, but he seemed skeptical that Manning was doing something wrong.

At this point, Manning announced that "The Stars are Right!". As fireworks went off, the blackwater operatives start to take off their tuxedos, revealing black robes. They, and Manning, start to chant. It took a few moments, but I realized what was going on. Everyone, especially Captain Atlas, looked at me like I was crazy. Still, my team knew something was up, and prepared to deal with it. Atlas and I had some really heated words, something I came to regret later.

Deep Ones and Ithilids start rising out of the water, preparing to attack the civilians on the ship. Omega immediately starts to attack the Blackwater guards, who don't even try and defend themselves. Magnum flies at Manning, and stabs him through the shoulder with his blades, and sending him crashing into the bandstand area.

Modi smashes through the decks, and finds Nemesis. They find a mummified body of a near human like being, and determine it is the one messing with our communications. Modi smashes the mummy through a wall, which lets in more Deep Ones and Ithilids. He tries to use the mummy to block the hole, but the creatures pull it through, and down into the water.

With the mummy out of the picture, I finally reach Black Mesa. Gate starts preparing to port over, and I tell her to bring the Conch Horn of the Ancient Mariner (as it can control Deep Ones). Mannings wife, The Wonder, attacks Magnum. From what he told me later, she didn't seem herself, and was likely being manipulated like Manning was by the Mummy.

The other members of the Mighty Seven fight the Deep Ones/Ithilids, while I try and protect the civilians (as my light powers scare them, being undersea creatures). Gate finally ports in, and Magnum throws Manning through her gate, which makes The Wonder follow through. Civilians start pouring into the gate; at least some will be saved if things go badly.

Magnum creates a magnetic force field around the deck of the Hotel California, and The Magnet reinforces it with his own magnetic powers. This keeps most of the creatures off the deck, allowing us to fight the ones that were all ready on the deck without being overwhelmed.

Things started going our way, when the ocean started churning. A gigantic being burst free from the ocean, and a being out of nightmares towered over the ship: Great Cthulhu, the Great Old One! It's might hand reached down, and connected with Magnum's force field as we all looked upon a cosmic horror beyond anything we had ever faced before....

[to be continued...]

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #91 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:46am
Print Post  
[Journal continued...]

At Cthulhu started to press down on Magnum's magnetic shield, Modi activated the belt of strength he wears around his waist. He also went berserk (something I've only seen him do once before), and leapt at the Outer God. The Hotel California pitched, and came close to capsizing at the force of his leap! He started to batter at Cthulhu with his hammer, ignoring it's facial tentacles (which were trying to ensnare him). Captain Atlas and Magnum join him, and the three dish out damage that would destroy cities in seconds.

Cthulhu seems to shrug most of it off, and causes Modi a lot of damage. I'm worried he's going to die in his berserk state, so I try and blind it with my light blasts. It recoils at the light, but doesn't seem to be fully effected by it.

Omega and Kid Nemesis try and stem the tide of Deep Ones and Ithilids trying to enter the ship via the hull breach.

Cthulhu knocks Modi off it's body, and he crashes through the ship, and lands in the reactor core! Thankfully Carter showed some initiative, and shut it off. If he hadn't done that, the ship would have gone off like a nuke, and I wouldn't be writing this now.

Magnum and Atlas continue to batter at the Outer God, but it keeps on coming. Remembering the stories I had read, I know it's body had been trapped by something called an Elder sign. I contact Magnum, who flies into the water to try and locate it. Carter joins him, as his sonar would be useful down there.

Realizing how desperate the situation is, Captain Atlas makes a decision I wish he hadn't. He lifts Cthulhu up, and flies upward, heading into space. Tapping into the Argus Array, I see him slam the Outer God into the surface of the moon, where parts of it's flesh flies off. Atlas then lifts it up again, and starts to fly off into space. As he does, small winged beings materialize, and separate them, and take both off into the stars.

Modi collapsed, and Magnum had to do an emergency surgery on him to save his life. He's still in a coma right now.

Because so many people were at the gala (especially leaders of other nations), CHESS couldn't contain this from getting out. Now the world press covered Cthulhu's rising, and mankind is in a general state of fear as they realize aliens do exist, and they are out to get us.

Phillip Manning is in a coma as well. The cultists have confirmed he was under the control of Qam, the mummified being Nemesis and Omega fought. He's now somewhere down in the depths of the ocean, with the Deep Ones and Ithillids as company.

I'm starting to wonder if Qam's control over Phillip is tied into my dad's disappearance. Manning's really bizarre behavior started around the time Qam took control of him, and my dad went missing weeks later. I'm starting to fear the worst, that he might actually  be dead. Until Manning wakes up, I have to wait before I can ask him about it.

I feel guilty about the things I said to Captain Atlas. In the end, he proved to be the real hero, saving us all from Cthulhu's physical form. What took him, where he was taken, and what those beings are doing to him, no one knows. If not for the threat of the Moevians with their sun killers, we'd be going after Atlas right now. If it's the last thing I do, I'm going to find him after we stop the Moevian threat. That is, if I live that long.

I saw Modi in the hospital ward. He doesn't look good. I couldn't stand seeing him like that, so I went back to my lab, and tried to work on my armor. I couldn't concentrate, so I went to my new quarters, and drank some mead he gave me.

With Atlas gone and Modi incapacitated, can we still hold off the Moevians?

[End Journal Entry]

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #92 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
[New Journal Entry]

It's been a week or so since the battle with Cthulhu. Modi is still in intensive care. I've been called in by Marshal Strong to accompany him, Agent Omega and Scion to the moon. We're using the moonbase as a staging area to hit one of the Moevian sun killers, while the members of the Top Five each take on the other five ships.

Gates brought us to the Chess space station, then ported us to the moonbase. Since we had some time, I tinkered with my armor in the workshop there, and upgraded it to include my Phase Analyzer. We got an emergency warning before I could start on incorporating the compensator.

We went to the hanger area, and were informed that there were objects incoming. Next thing we know, some insect/reptillian looking being ported in. Strong attacked it, and I flew above it, and took it out with two laser blasts. Next thing I know, more beings ported in. Turns out the Moevians tried to make a pre-emptive strike on our mission!

Some Moevian with rapier like weapons attacked Scion, and cut her eyelids. She returned the favor by running him through with her own blades. So much for the so-called Poet!

2 more Moevian males, 2 females, and 2 energy like being sported in. A muscular looking Moevian (whose name I learned was Archon) attacked me. A super strong type, and fucking arrogant too. He started the same crap about staring into the heart of suns Annihilator did when I tried to both blind and blast him.

Strong used the synaptic weapon on the galaxy looking being, and it froze in place. Omega took out one of the females, but the other one started using gravity powers on us, while the other energy being went after Scion. I tried to blast it, but the lasers went right through! If only I had the Compensator on line, I'd have nailed it. This gangly looking Moevian hung back, doing nothing.

Scion got away from the other energy being, and went after the woman with gravity powers. After her attack, the woman was a bloody smear on the wall, and Archon went nuts, and pummeled Scion through the floor onto the lunar surface! He started to choke her, so Strong leapt down to assist her. Omega and I tried to deal with the gangly dude, who turned out to be able to teleport others. He sent me above Bavaria, Germany, then sent Omega to Alaska.

Scion was able to use her blades to break the chokehold, then flew up out of the crater. Strong continued to fight Archon, while Omega and I tried to coordinate with Gates to get us back to the moonbase.

Scion attacked the teleporter, and did get in some licks, but he teleported a rock inside her, taking her out of the fight. Strong literally knocked Archon's head off with a strike, so the teleporter teleported all of them (living and dead) away.

Strong had to do emergency surgery on Scion, but was able to remove the rock with little trouble.

Truth be told, we had our asses handed to us. First thing I did was go back to the workship, fix my armor, and add in the Phase Compensator to it. I also boosted my laser output, so it does more damage. I can't wait to run into that weird energy being again, and seeing if the compensator will allow me to blast it this time.

Oh, almost forgot! Some British dude kept calling Strong during the fight. During Scion's surgery, he called back, and told Strong he had something for him. Strong went to Britain, and came back with some kind of staff/wand device. He said it's linked to our sun, and is very powerful. He told us the staff warned him the sun is going to die in 24 hours. So now we have a day to stop the Moevians from making the sun go Nova, and wiping out the entire solar system.....

[End Journal]

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #93 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you guys could have used Magnum.  Sorry about that!

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #94 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Jun 30th, 2012 at 6:27pm:
Sounds like you guys could have used Magnum.  Sorry about that!

I'm not sure that would have helped. 2 of the Moevians were non-corporeal, so they were hard to hit (though one was affected by a synaptic weapon). The skinny guy could attack with teleporation, and took me and Jimmy out of the fight for awhile. That was pretty hard to beat. He was faster than Kid Nemesis

After Scion took out the woman with the Gravity powers, it got a little easier. Archon went after her, then Strong took him out. Those were two of the tough ones physically. Hopefully with my armor upgrades, I can affect the other two beings now. Time will tell

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #95 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Warpsmith is probably the most powerful NPC I ever made up.  He went easy on you guys.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #96 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 3:30am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 12:19am:
Warpsmith is probably the most powerful NPC I ever made up.  He went easy on you guys.

I had a feeling that was the case. A good reminder that no matter how powerful we become, there is always someone more powerful than us

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #97 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
I am too nice to you all in general.  Time to amp up the bastard quotient.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #98 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 7:19pm:
I am too nice to you all in general.  Time to amp up the bastard quotient.

Which you did a good job of last night, though you did still go soft and let Jimmy and I attempt a Hail Mary to save ourselves from utter annihilation...

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #99 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Bump

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #100 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
I went back like 5 or 6 pages, and couldn't find it! Thanks Oni.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #101 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
No problem. I was searching through for other posts yesterday so I knew it was there when I passed it. July was the lasst update so that gave me a pretty good idea where it was.

Now please get along with the rest of the story......

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #102 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I need to update this, as it has been a long time. Not too much though, as there was just the battle with the sun killers, then his short astral encounter with a Slaad then the being bringing him back

Edit: And for those who didn't see it in the other thread, here is what will hopefully be the Glare 2.0 armor:

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2013 at 10:33pm by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Glare 2.0
Reply #103 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 8:22am
Print Post  
I was going to post this in A Glaring Commentary, but it appears that thread is gone  Embarrassed

I got a new commission of Glare from another artists, and wanted to share it with everyone. The artist goes by the name Celtic Bolt, and I found him via DeviantArt. His page there can be found here. Hope you all like it!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Glare 2.0
Reply #104 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I have to admit I'm a bit stumped on this one. I cannot find the glaring commentary thread anywhere not even in the recycle bin.  I honestly have no idea what happened here. Sorry Gerry Sad

Cool pic though! Too bad he's never coming back  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools

>