Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Glaring commentary (Read 29973 times)
STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: A Glaring commentary
Reply #35 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I second it!!! Who wouldn't second it!!!  Cheesy

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #36 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Ok Gerry, give  Glare a 1000 point bonus.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #37 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Even though he denounced Elusion, I third it.

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2011 at 9:48pm by Paul »  

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #38 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Of course I agree with the bonus. May want to check the points for your level since I don't remember where you were at last.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #39 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Even with the bonus, I still need over 7,000 to get to the next level. Unlike previous adventures where I got a lot of xp (cause I was low level, and everyone else was higher), I don't see that happening anytime soon. Which is fine by me, because I jumped up to this level in 2 adventures. Now I really have to earn the next one  Wink

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #40 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 1:31am
Print Post  
No new journal entry, as Glare is currently unconscious in a tunnel underneath Science City. However, I have something to share. I'm working on a potential villains book for various supers systems (possibly V&V among them). My artist, Kris Smith did a sketch for a yet to be named villain in a suit of powered armor. The same image is going to be for Glare's suit, just in a different color. He sent me a sketch for approval on Saturday, so I thought I'd throw it up on Photobucket, so people can at least see the design of Glare's armored suit. It should look cooler when it's colored in. The inspiration for the armor was a cross between the Crimson Dynamo from the Marvel Universe, and the Spitfire armor from New Universe's Spitfire & The Troubleshooters/Codename Spitfire.

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #41 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Cool armor. I can't wait to see it colored.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #42 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Cool, its funny, I right away thought of Spitfire and the Dynamo!    Cool armor!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #43 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Nice looking!  Looking forwad to seeing the colored in version!    Cool

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #44 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Those were some very nicely written Journal Entries for your character of Glare, Gerry.
He came across very believable in a fantastic world.

Is Carter Manning in this story a young man? and his inspiration to build the suit isn't the death of his wife?

G7

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #45 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
G7,

John can answer those questions, as he started that sub plot for my character. I only know that Carter doesn't get along with his father, and his father might be a bad guy (or at the very least, very misguided)

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #46 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 3:44am
Print Post  
[Continued from last time...]

In the tunnels, something caused me to lose consciousness. When I awoke, I was strapped to something, along with Dr Yurt and 2 people I didn't recognize. One was a woman wearing a lab coat (and apparently nothing else), and a young man wearing some kind of high tech gauntlets. Robson was making some grandoise speech about something called The Octagon, then he pulled a lever, and I felt my stomach lurch.

Next thing I know, the four of us are in the same lab, but everything looks like it's made of some kind of black material. Yurt claims we're in some sort of shadow realm that is connected to our world. After some searching, we come to the conclusion this is the shadow realm's Science City. We head out of the building and into the city, hoping to find a way back to our world.

I learn the man and woman are called Nemesis Kid and Startide. I don't have time to learn how they got involved in this mess before some kind of shadow being attacks the Kid from behind. I blast it with a laser, and it's hurt. Startide causes Kid and herself to move up into the air. She's spotted by that Moevian I met in the Manning building when all this craziness started. He contacts her telepathically, and she lets me know of that. Telling Yurt to hold on, I fly up to her, and with her holding onto my leg, fly all of us over to where he is. He's with some woman named Anodyne (who I don't know), some guy who is out cold, and another guy in a soviet era military uniform.

Warlock informs us that the Slaad (the name for the frog people, one of whom we ran into in the Morgue back on earth) are invading this world due to the imbalance in Science City. Anodyne heals Kid, but he acts high as a kite. He sees something, and while no one else believes him, I get the feeling even in his state of mind, it's worth checking out.

As we fly up, I see Slaad climbing down the Colossus. As we get near to the torch, I get this vibe I shouldn't go any higher. I stop, and Kid (who seems ok now) asks why. Before I can reply, a Slaad leaps down on us, and his clawed hand ignores my armor, and almost gouges out my freaking eyes! Kid pummels him with his gauntlets, and I laser the bastard for good measure. I then tell Kid to close his eyes, and let out a blinding flash before heading down. That does the trick, as the Slaad all scream, and some shadow beings yell "Smee!" as well.

The Slaad almost nails Yurt, but doesn't. We find some piece of tech in it's remains. Taking it with us, we head to where the soldier's camp is. Turns out he and some others were stranded here years ago, while flying an experimental rocket. I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye, so I hope I can see what's left of it.

The Russian, Pavel, takes us to the camp with him and his surviving crew members. They all look like Holocaust victims. I need to make sure they all get back to Earth with us. They believe they are in Hell. Who can blame them? The captain is a bizarre one. Warlock says his mind isn't singular, which I take to mean the guy is schizo. Better keep an eye on him.

[To be Continued...]

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #47 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 3:54am
Print Post  
[Continued....]

After letting Anodyne heal me (and going through feeling like I've taken a hit of acid), we learn about the Slaad building some device in the desert. I also inquire about the ship the Russians were in when they got here. Pavel agrees to show it to us, as I tell him we might be able to take them home.

First we go to an area with some dark ectoplasm that can be shaped like anything: Food, clothing (which the Kid and Startide both use to fashion costumes, since they had none. Especially Startide, who revealed a little too much when she negated gravity to save Kid from that Smee), even photos. While some partake of this shadow food, I don't. Warlock was able to read the Russian captain wanting us to eat this stuff a bit too much before his mind was closed off. I'm starving, but I try and suck it up.

After we rest awhile, Pavel and the others take us to the ship. It looks like a kind of space shuttle. However, once I really examine it, I can tell there is no standard propulsion on this vehicle. It can't fly. However, i find what appears to be a drive that, if I'm right, will allow the ship to breach the dimensional barrier. It's not working, but if I can find something to power it with, I might be able to repair it. I'm no expert on Dimensional Physics (which is more theoretical than what I know), but I know enough of the basics that I might be able to save us all. I wish Elusion were here; if he was alive, he'd have figured this out in less than 5 minutes. As much as I'm feeling out of my depth here, I realize I'm the only one who has any chance to get us home.

It's bizarre to think that only a few months ago, i was the rookie hero. Now I'm the most experienced one here. While no one is in charge, i can see most of them look to me for guidance. I can't let them down. Not just for our own sakes. I have to warn CHESS about the Slaad, and about Robson and this Octagon group.

My armor is slightly damaged, and my power cells are only half charged. I guess now I'll see if I really do have what it takes to be a hero.....

[to be continued]

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #48 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 4:12am
Print Post  
Once I stopped letting my insecurity get the better of me, Pavel took us towards the Slaad device. Along the way, a Slaad jumped us, but he gets eliminated quickly. He did come up out of the sand, all ninja like. That worries me.

Later on, we get attacked by more of them, and while we prevail. The Kid is hurt again (and not just regular wounds; he got poisoned too). Anodyne heals him, but I worry about her. It's like she takes on the wounds of the person she heals, and it knocks her out.

When we finally arrive at the device, there's one Slaad there. But it's one big fucking Slaad. I try and blind it, but it has no effect. Startide does something to the gravity around it, and no effect. Warlock can only read that it must protect "the portal". It makes an attempt to hurt my mind, but fails. Kid attacks it, and actually makes it move. I blast it once with a laser, but Startide shows some creativity, making the gravity around it's body split between low gravity around it's upper body, and high body around it's lower body. Finally, it's out.

I inspect the device (later realizing not as much as I should have, as I was nervous about my power cells being almost depleted).  There's cables leading from it to boxes. Some I learn are power cells; the rest are controllers of some sort. I want to take them all and destroy the device, but the others convince me not to do so, as we might need it if I can't get the ship to warp back to our world. As much as I hate to admit it, they have a point.

We make it back to the ship, and after Startide gets it level, I set to work jury rigging the dimensional warp drive. Once I feel I've done all I can to get it working, we all strap in, and I attempt to get us home. It's not an easy trip; the ship feels like it's in the middle of a major earthquake. Pretty much everyone vomits (though I actually remain fine). We make it back to what appears to be our world. To make sure, I try my CHESS communicator. I get a response from them, and I silently thank God we made it. I tell them we need a pick up, and inquire on the team I requested back in Science City. I'm told they are still there, so I inform them they need to arrest Dr Robson, and that the torch on the Colossus in the center of the city needs to be dismantled ASAP.

Suddenly, Pavel and the other Russians start to scream. Parts of their skin turn black and fall off. All but one of them dies, and while Anodyne tries to heal him, her power doesn't work. The guy is in bad shape, and now so is Anodyne. My gut clenches. I failed to save these men, even though they dug their own graves years ago. I just hope their deaths aren't in vain.

As I wait for the pickup to arrive, I realize that I never did inspect that device as well as I should have. if it was a portal, is it one that leads to our world, or somewhere else? The Slaad pose a threat to our world, and need to be stopped. At least I now know how to control this dimension drive, so if I can build a new, better model, we can go back to the Shadow Realm, and hopefully destroy that gate. That's if CHESS will allow it. Then again, can I trust CHESS with the ability to travel to other dimensions? The Russians had the tech, and Robson's machine must be based on it. It's all ready out there, so I guess keeping it from CHESS isn't really going to stop others from using it.

I need a hot bath, and more importantly, a good meal. I wonder if Modi's old quarters still has any of that mead he used to brew left. Cause I really need a drink right now. After that, i need to repair and recharge my armor. I'm sure the world will still be here tomorrow. I'm done playing hero for today.

[The end for now]

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #49 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 4:14am
Print Post  
Oh, and as an alternative to the suit in that sketch, I was wondering what people think of another image I have for Glare. It's an image I commissioned for a villain I call Lighthouse, which was drawn by Dan Houser (who does all the art for the ICONS rpg). I really like the image, and given the suit having a more retro (imho) look, might fit better for the concept.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #50 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Excellent write ups!

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #51 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Glare, get some sleep!  Writing that stuff up at 4am?? Damn!

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #52 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 16th, 2011 at 11:38am:
Excellent write ups!

Thanks John. I really enjoyed last night's game, and we did accomplish a lot during that session, so there was a lot to cover.

What did you think of the other image I posted? I'm torn over which one might actually be used for his suit now

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #53 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Apr 16th, 2011 at 3:30pm:
Glare, get some sleep!  Writing that stuff up at 4am?? Damn!

Paul,

Since I work from 11 PM to 7:30 Am every week, I'm used to being up that late. Plus we didn't finish until about 1:50, and I didn't home until close to 3 (cause I had to wait for a bus, then walk from the closest stop).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #54 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
I like the first sketchy drawing.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #55 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 11:31am
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 16th, 2011 at 4:25pm:
I like the first sketchy drawing.

I concur. It seems to better suit Glare's youthful character, and it comes off a little more good guy hi-tech.

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #56 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
I agree as well. Smiley

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #57 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 2:04am
Print Post  
I'm typing this on my laptop from the infirmary at Black Mesa. A lot has happened since my last entry.

After getting most of us back from the Shadow Dimension, I called CHESS for a pick up. A transport chopper arrived with some Knights, along with a man we call "The Octopus". Why is he called that? Well, he kind of looks like Doctor Octopus from the Spiderman comic books, without the metallic tentacles. He's an autistic genius who builds most of the hi tech weapons and other equipment CHESS uses. He's far more intelligent than I am. He's off putting, but the man is one of the greatest scientific minds I know.

Anyway, he detects radiation on all of us, so we're ordered to stay by the vehicle. The Moevian does something shortly after (or at least it looked like he did; I didn't ask), and suddenly, the radiation is gone. The Knights ferry us back to Black Mesa, and I learn warped back somewhere in Utah.

I check in on whether Robson was taken into custody, and find out he got away before they could grab him. I'm convinced we have a mole in CHESS (again!). This is not good.

When we get back to Black Mesa, I exit my armor, and send it to my lab, so I can prep it for repairs. It took a slight beating when we fought the zomborgs, and the power cells are kind of low. After that, we're all taken to be examined, while Yuri (the last Russian we met in the Shadow Realm) and Startide are rushed to be treated for whatever killed Pavel and the Captain.

They run all kinds of routine tests on us, but the Moevian isn't being that cooperative. He keeps asking to be taken to his embassy, and like I did before, the medics tell him there is none. How does he not know all his people left Earth after the White Event?

I contact the liaison for the team I was once part of, but he's giving me the cold shoulder. I don't think they believe me when I tell them about the Slaad. While I'm on the phone with him, Amazon and Lamplighter show up. They're two more experienced metahumans working for CHESS. Amazon convinces the Moevian to go into quarantine, since he won't let them take his blood for testing. They leave afterwards, which is good cause Lamplighter freaks me out. As much as I sometimes envy those who have internal powers, I'm glad mine come from the armor. I'd rather be a human in a tin can that someone who looks like a human shaped amoeba wearing a green cloak!

The Octopus comes in as well, and tells me my armor will be fully repaired in about an hour or so. That guy is real creepy, but damn is he efficient!

Sometime later, a cook comes in, asking us what we want to eat. I decide on the Venison Meatloaf, when the cook starts suggesting we all try the Chili. For some reason, I start liking that idea, and Nemesis Kid is so excited, he goes to hi five the cook. Before he does, the Moevian yells out a warning, and Kid pulls back. The cook is acting strangely, trying to touch kid's face. Kid hits him, and shit hits the fan.

While Kid and the other guy (who I later learn calls himself Stormbringer) deal with the cook, I run out of the room, and get the guards. Except things turn for the worse because Kid and bringer have KILLED the fucking cook! Shit! This is bad. The guards are pointing their guns at them, and Kid pulls some crazy stunt you see in a kung fu movie, side stepping the Knight, and punching the butt of his rifle into his face, knocking him out. The other guard starts acting like the cook, and bringer goes invisible, and disarms him. He then shoots the Knight in the knee.

At this point, I hit the alarm, and go running to get my armor. I encounter Amazon and Lamplighter on the way, and try and tell them what is going on, but they ignore me. I get halfway to my armor when I'm telepathically contacted by Nexus, the powerful Psionic who works for CHESS. he orders me back to the lab without my armor, because he feels I can keep everyone calm. Yeah right, like that worked when i called in the knights! Still, he out ranks me, so I turn around, and head back the way I came.

I find Kid staggering in the hall, acting doped up. Anodyne must have healed him, which means he was hurt. I slap him a few times to get him out of it. Lamplighter staggers out of the room too, his inner light very dim. He looks weak. I ignore him while I get Kid back to normal. I later learn that he and Amazon slugged each other unconscious. We go back into the room, and the Moevian lets us know that whatever this thing is, it's going to where Yuri is.

We run to the room they're operating on him, but get there too late. It takes over his body, and proclaims itself a god! I'm wearing those patient wraps and underwear, and we're facing off with John Carpenter's The Thing. I'm dead meat!

Kid and Bringer blast it; not sure what the Moevian does. Yuri's body contorts and as the being screams. I grab the defibrillator paddles, and shock it's head. It goes nuts, hits me, and I slam against the wall. The others attack it again, and I lunge again with the paddles. Yuri's body explodes when I touch him with the paddles, but his parts all dissipate.

The Moevian tells us that the being escaped. Great. We brought back some other dimensional, non-corporeal being back with us. I keep fucking things up. At least now my superiors are taking our story seriously, and work on getting a court order to allow us to dismantle the Orichalcum from the torch in the Colossus of Science City.

[to be continued]

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #58 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 5:08am
Print Post  
Now that CHESS is taking me seriously, they finally got a court order so we can take care of that potential gateway for the Slaad to invade from the Shadow Dimension.

Manning met us on the roof of his building. He was pretty pissed off about this, and I am sure he was miffed at me for representing CHESS. He's my boss, so I may just be out of a regular job. Not that I care right now; keeping demonic frog men from another dimension from invading Earth is more important than stroking Manning's ego. That lawyer of his is there; she's a hellion herself! Nemesis Kid ticks her off a little; he's got balls!

Anyway, Stormbringer, the Kid, the Moevian and I go to remove the stuff from the torch on the Colossus. There's only room for two of us, so Kid and I go in, as we have more practical experience with this kind of stuff. The other guys are heavy hitters, so it was a good thing we went in.

While I'm working on removing the pieces of Orikalk, something is coming up the arm. Kid spots it, and it appears to be an armored man. They tussle, and I notice it, and try blasting it. I sear through part of the armor, but it nails me back kind of hard. I get knocked out of the torch, and grab a railing so as not to fall (I could fly, but I am trying to get my bearings, as I wasn't expecting it to his hit so hard).

The four of us fight with it, and it's tough. My armor takes serious damage; worse than when we fought the zomborgs. At one point, Kid breaks the railing, saving me from getting hit by one of it's blasts! He also pushed the Moevian out of the way of one as well.

Stormbringers calls up a storm, but it does nail him, and he goes over. the Moevian gets impaled on claws that sprout from it's hands. It then targets Stormbringer and I, and I get hit with another blast that almost wrecks my armor, and knocks me out cold.

When I wake up here in the infirmary, I get the rest of the story:

Nemesis Kid did a leap off the torch, and lands on the armored man (which we find out was a robot of some kind). He's able to beat it down, but he almost passes out himself. That kid is pretty damn tough with those gauntlets. He's pretty spunky too.  Anyway, Stormbringer saves us all by manipulating the wind currents of the storm he called up to slow us down as we were all falling.

So here I am, in the infirmary. I got one nasty black eye from the demon, and my jaw hurts. I'm pretty sure I have at least 4 cracked ribs. The Moevian is looking better; I'm kind of amazed because he was impaled by both sets of claws. Stormbringer seems to be ok, and Kid's just a little worse for wear.

I don't know if Manning had a hand in that robot attacking us, or if he's really ignorant of some of the people who work for him doing illegal experiments on his dime. When I heal up, I think I need to sit down with Carter, and have a long talk about his father. While I'm at it, I should probably help him finish that suit we're working on.

As for Glare: The Octopus came to see me earlier. He handed me a set of blueprints. They look like the Glare suit, but I see he made a few improvements: more armor (which I was planning on doing anyway), and some other stuff I need to decipher.

With Elusion, Dark Warrior and Modi gone, the world is a darker place. Incorporeal Demons. Extradimensional Frog Men. Illegal experiments by corporations. Robots with high power energy weapons. The more I think about it, the more I start to realize I'm more out of my league than I first thought.

However, as much as I doubt myself, the fact remains that I'm seem to be the leader of a new team of metahumans dragged into working for CHESS. Like it or not, I have to step up. I've got plenty of doubt, and lots of regret. But I also have a lot of anger. Anger at all these inhuman things that want to harm humanity.

When I get out of here, I think I'm going to talk to The Octopus, and see if we adapt one of those Slaad power cells for my armor. And if CHESS will let me, maybe, just maybe, I'll see if I can work some of this Oricalchum into Glare MK II. These new guys are all more powerful than me, and I need an edge. I need to be ready, because it feels like a storm is coming, and I don't have a raincoat.....

Out of character note: Man, this was a rough one! With all the heavy hitters gone, Glare is finding himself actually getting hit, and more importantly, getting hurt. Before, Modi and Dark Warrior would draw most attacks, but with them gone, Glare is now one big shining metal target. My armor was wrecked, I got knocked out, and if Stormbringer hadn't done a power stunt, would likely be dead. And I loved every minute of it! I especially love all this mystical and other dimensional threats, as it allows me to play on my character feeling out of his depth (being a scientist and a high tech hero, this stuff freaks him out). He is now the expert on Dimensional Physics (Wally knew that, but he's gone, so now I'm it).

John suggested I take a weakness (I'm assuming it would be a Phobia) based around his guilt. He feels guilty about Brother Deacon dying, and not being there when Elusion died. It fits, so I'm sure we'll discuss how that will affect the character. I'm also starting to have  him go a little mad scientist, trying to find ways of making his armor more powerful, as he feels some of the threats he's run into recently require more than his armor can currently handle. Should be fun to run with that long term.

Anyway, need to get some sleep. Hope you enjoyed the new entry for our last session
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011 at 5:19am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #59 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Great entry, Gerry!  So what happened to Modi and Dark Warrior?

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #60 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
IIRC, Modi went back to Asgard, and Dark Warrior basically remade the universe, dying in the process. I know Oni wrote about DW's end, and John did cover it in one of his session reports. I wasn't there when it happened, as it was around the time my dad passed away. Though Oni has jokingly told me out of character, I should design a device that will allow me to find "specks" of the Dark Warrior, as they are scattered around the universe now. Don't know what I'd do with them though Tongue

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #61 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Check out John's thread for the white event, gather them up and make some kind of powerful amplification device.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #62 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 2:37am
Print Post  
So basically, I'd be making my own Omni-Wave device, powered by remnants of Dark Warrior himself?  Tongue

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #63 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I would just reference the thread and see what happens from there. Or you could just let his poor atoms rest in peace.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #64 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 1:39am
Print Post  
(New journal entry....)

It's been awhile since I've written anything down. Between repairing the Glare armor, dealing with the lawsuit from Manning, and writing two papers on Dimensional Physics (and the speaking engagements due to those papers, both for CHESS science staff and scientists across the world), I haven't done much field duty of late. However, I just got back from our latest mission, and felt the need to write it down.

Dr. Robson, now calling himself Dr. Robug, supposedly joined the group known as the Octagon. The others battled a giant spider-like robot in Times Square while I was away. Robug was in it, but he escaped, and landed on Island Zero. Just as I got back to Black Mesa, I learn we are going there to apprehend him.

Since my armor took a heavy beating in the Shadow Dimension, I'm tasked to be in reserve, while the rest sneak onto the island (as our going there violates the Zero Proclamation).

Shortly after they landed, I lost communication with them from the mini-sub. After a few hours, I was ordered to fly in low, locate them, and make an extraction from the island.

I flew in just above the water, avoiding radar detectors from China, Japan, Russia and the USA. As I flew deeper inland, I hit something that cause me to lose my bearings. Once I regained them, I was out of touch with the sub. I also discovered that this island was much bigger than satellite images show (I cover this in more detail in my special report for CHESS). Shortly after being disoriented, I'm attacked by some kind of robotic insect. It gives me a short struggle, but I am able to dispose of it.

My battle with the robot attracts the attention of my team mates, and the Moevian mind links me with the team. Stormbringer is missing, but they've contacted Bad Shepherd, the island's caretaker. I fly over to them, and tell them about the extraction order. They inform me that Robug has a base on the island, as well as a cadre of female metahumans he created. As much as I want to follow orders, I agree with the rest that we need to take Robug and his metahumans down first.

We start our way towards The Hive (as Robug calls his base), but are attacked by robotic ants. We're able to dispose of them. With Startide making everyone weightless, they hold onto me, and we continue on. More of the flying insectbots attack us, and I have to save Kid Nemesis from falling, while the Moevian grappled with one of them. We destroyed most of them, fighting a running battle the rest of the way to the Hive.

Once we got there, we get attacked by metahumans. Some woman with wings attacks me with clawed hands. My armors prevented her from harming me, but she caused serious damage to it. I dropped Kid, but he was able to grab onto the woman, and turned his gauntlets to phosphorous, and struck her in the face, knocking her out. While I was still recovering from her attack, Kid used her wings like a glider, and landed safely.

Startide and I flew to the top of the Hive, and encountered 4 more metahumans. Startide took one out with a Gravity Warp. I then blinded 2 others (and the remaining bot) with a blinding flash. However, things didn't go so well. One of the women had prehensile hair, and was able to find me, and she slammed me into the side of the structure. The other one created a swarm of butterflies out of nowhere, and they swarmed around Startide.

Shepherd took out the last bot with a rock, and the Moevian took out on of the 3 metahumans, and with Shepherd's help, knocked her out. Kid started to scale the side of the Hive with his gauntlets, but was attacked by an african-american woman with a whip. Kid took her out, but got knocked out in the process, and lost one of his gauntlets. I finally got free of the hair, and with Startide's help, took out the last metahuman.

(to be continued...)

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #65 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 3:29am
Print Post  
(continuing journal entry...)

While Shepherd, Startide and the Moevian start to enter the Hive, I search for Kid. He's out when I find him (as I mentioned earlier in this entry), and try to wake him up. He's out real bad, and eventually the Moevian has to assist in getting him back on his feet.

Startide and Shepherd are inside causing all kind of commotion; I later learned they were confronted by more female metahumans and Dr. Robug himself). Shepherd goes right for Robug, while Startide manipulates gravity to use The Hive against his metahuman agents.

Eventually Startide is taken out by a metahuman who can turn into a gaseous form. With Kid awake, I fly into the Hive to help Startide, unaware she's out. As I head towards her, I fall prey to the same metahuman, but Startide is able to recover, and she wisks us both away.

Around this time, Stormbringer (who had some strange encounters while separated from us, hears Shepherd taking the Hive apart. He heads towards us, and encounters Go Girl, Robug's speedster minion. She has Shepherd's staff, and he takes it from her, and while she tries to take it back from him, he flies higher than she can reach, and continues towards us.

When I recover from the gas, I see some of the metahumans fleeing the Hive through a whole Shepherd made. Kid knocks one out, and I try to blind one, but her shield reflects it, and I'm blinded! Thankfully, the Moevian has us all mind linked, so I know what happened next.

Startide took out shield lady with her gravity powers, causing her to go down, and making her shield weigh so much it knocked her cold. Robug was trying to escape with Dr. Lloyd (who at the time I thought needed rescuing, but I learned otherwise later). The Moevian tracked them with his mind powers, while Stormbringer returned Shepherd's staff to him, for which he was very thankful (From what little I could glean, he uses it to control some of the creatures on the island, and Robug stole it to control them himself)

Startide turned herself intangible somehow, and went after Robug & Lloyd in the tunnels. Robug used his bowel disruptor on her, but she was able to shrug off its effects and took him out, before she was in turn taken out again by the woman with the gaseous form. The Moevian and Stormbringer went after Startide, with Stormbringer causing gale force winds. He caused the gaseous metahuman to dissapate, but not before she knocked out Lloyd, who had been turned into a metahuman by Robug (and who had his own sinister agenda it seems).

After the Hive collapsed, we regrouped with Shepherd. He helped us restrain the surviving metahumans. I learned that Kid accidentally killed one, and another died because their life span had been greatly shortened due to the process of gaining powers. Thanks to the Moevian, we learned that Robug stole the process for giving people metahuman abilities from CHESS. We also learned that Robug had been lying to the world, and had never been in touch with The Octagon, let alone join their ranks.

As for Lloyd, he planned on betraying Robug, and become Doctor Saturday, the cartoon criminal. I felt bad for Lloyd. He was autistic, but a genius, and when Robug used the metahuman process on him, it corrupted this brilliant, yet simple man into a criminal mindset. Once again something good in this world was twisted by the corruption of super powers. I had thought that the White Event changed that, but it appears I was wrong.

Shepherd gave us a plant that helped us heal a bit. He let Stormbringer have extra, as a way of thanking him for returning his staff. We learned that the island was created by a group called The Artists, who serve another group called The Elders. The Elders supposedly created all life in the universe, and that the island exists everywhere (as in every planet in the universe, and possibly in alternate ones as well), much like the mythical city of Tanelorn from the novels of Michael Moorcock. This is why it's larger when we landed on it compared to it's size from satellite images. Our satellites only pick up a small portion of the island, because that's the only part that is physically on Earth itself at this time.

He told us that these elders test every race, and that one day it will be our turn. I made sure to put in a special report to my superiors regarding this, as I have some theories I hope to work on.

Armed with this knowledge, we took our prisoners back with us, and handed them over to CHESS.

Needless to say, this last mission was very disturbing to me on a few levels. Seeing Dr. Lloyd corrupted like that saddened me. The revelation about these elders and this eventual test humanity will have to endure deeply concerns me. Hopefully I can come up with some contingency plans to make us pass the test; I just hope the upper echelons of CHESS take my concerns seriously this time. They doubted me during the Shadow Realm incident, and if not for the Slaad attempting to cross over into our world, they'd likely still be doubting me. They need to get their heads out of their asses and face facts: Earth is starting to be looked upon by powerful forces outside of our solar system, and we need to stop looking inward, and preparing for the troubles yet to come.

Damn, I wish Wally was still around. He'd understand the gravity of the situation. Elusion likely would too. Modi would just drink another mead and tell me not to worry, that we could handle any threat to Earth. If they were still around, I'd probably not worry so much. But they're not, so the burden lies on my shoulders.

I have no natural powers, just a fancy suit of armor with a bunch of high tech gizmos built in. Yet I seem to be the only person who grasps just how grave the future might be for the human race. My new team mates are powerful, but will they be enough to turn back what the future holds? I just don't know.....

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #66 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 3:40am
Print Post  
(New Entry....)

It's been a week or so since we came back from Island Zero. I've been working non stop in the lab. CHESS finally gave me the green light to upgrade the Glare armor. I've increased the defensive armored layers, so it can take more damage. I also increased the battery output. Lastly, I finally installed the hologram emitters. They take a lot of power (need to work on reducing that), but now I can creating images out of light. No sound, but it should work well in tricking people. We'll see.

Now to see about finding out how to replicate the reflective properties in that Shield we recovered from the metahuman Echo.

Still no word from the higher ups about that request for funding and a lab to work on that project to breach the barrier on Island Zero. If we could really see what's there, maybe we can prepare for what's to come better.

As an aside, I've noticed that the Moevian seems restless of late. That worries me as well, but everyone else believes it's because CHESS won't let him go to the abandoned Moevian embassy on Earth.

Well, back to the lab. I want to try and increase the power output on my laser circuitry, and see if I can boost its effectiveness. Then I want to talk with the Octopus about that life support system he said I should incorporate. After that woman who could turn into ether, I think I need some kind of protection from gas attacks.

After that, I should call Carter. I haven't spoken to him in awhile, and he still hasn't responded to my last set of design modifications for that suit I was helping him make. I suspect he's angry with me when he found out I was working for CHESS. I need to have a sit down, and explain that I believe his father had a hand in, or knows something about my own father's disappearance.

So much to do, and not enough time in a day to do it.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #67 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
But they're not, so the burden lies on my shoulders.

We have faith in you! As long as you don't blind yourself!

Grin

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #68 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 8:57am:
We have faith in you! As long as you don't blind yourself!

Grin

That was a pretty funny moment last night. That's what I get for assuming someone named Echo would have sonic powers, especially when they are carrying a short, round & shiny shield!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #69 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Echo's sheild was just a sheild.  Her reflection power was an inate power.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools

>