Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Optional Stun Rule (Read 3775 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Optional Stun Rule
Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:04am
Print Post  
OK, a conversation over on the MHG forums, about some possible changes in 3.0, got me thinking, and after reading over a couple of suggestions, I "borrowed" (Hey, good GMs only steal from the best), a couple of ideas, and came up with this.

Optional Stun Rule – Any character that takes more than their full Endurance score in damage, from a single attack, must make an Endurance save (d20) to avoid being stunned. If the character fails to make his save, then the character is stunned for one turn. While stunned, the character may only take one action per turn, being the last person to act that turn (if more than one character is stunned the one with the higher END score moves first). In addition all attacks are made at -4, and all movement rates are halved.

How’s that sound? 
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2020 at 6:22pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Optional Stun Rule
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Based on John's campaigns it seems that people would be making saves vs. E on every hit.  I don't think that would work well to be honest.

Maybe tie it into knockback damage or something? Like if enough damage is done to cause knockback then a stun roll is made?

Keep in mind when reading this, I am not an expert on the rule book so hopefully this makes sense. Smiley

Also, would the Endurance save be d20 or percentile? Because if it's d20 then someone with heightened endurance who takes beefy damage, would really never get stunned anyway.  If it's d100 people with normal endurance will have more hits over their E and also fail the save most of the time.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:53am by Paul »  

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:49am:
Based on John's campaigns it seems that people would be making saves vs. E on every hit.  I don't think that would work well to be honest.

Maybe tie it into knockback damage or something? Like if enough damage is done to cause knockback then a stun roll is made?

Keep in mind when reading this, I am not an expert on the rule book so hopefully this makes sense. Smiley

Also, would the Endurance save be d20 or percentile? Because if it's d20 then someone with heightened endurance who takes beefy damage, would really never get stunned anyway.  If it's d100 people with normal endurance will have more hits over their E and also fail the save most of the time.

I'm not sure how much damage you guys dish out, but if you look at the damage done by characters in most of the published material (where the most damage you're going to do is 1d20), it would only come up if a character took more than 9 or 10 points of damage from a single attack. The actual save would be on a d20, so it would make sense that someone with a high END would be able to shrug off.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
This seems more fair than the way it currently works (with Paralysis).  I like the idea.    Cool

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Ok yeah our game dishes out a lot more damage than that. I do 10 points of damage to someone just when I show up.

Cool

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:02pm:
Ok yeah our game dishes out a lot more damage than that. I do 10 points of damage to someone just when I show up.

Cool

In cases like yours, how about this. Optional Stun Rule #2 (The high Powered version) - If a character takes more than 1/2 his remaining hit points, from a single attack, the character must save vs END on 1d100, or they are stunned. How's that sound?

YIM  
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Assuming they aren't knocked out, yeah that makes sense.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Paul wrote on Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:09pm:
Assuming they aren't knocked out, yeah that makes sense.

I've also got a slight mod to the "unconsciousness" rule, that I'll post in a bit, as it's on my external hard drive (I've been having MAJOR problems with my computer, and I have to save everything to a hard drive for fear of loosing it).

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 7:38pm
Print Post  

Cool

LOL - this reminds me of those Dos Equis commercials with 'the Most Interesting Man in the World'.

One of the sayings they do is that "he's won trophies for his game face alone".    Cool
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:44pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:13pm
Print Post  

Cool

I don't think they were referring to damage caused directly from Body Odor Power.  Cheesy

To be honest for some reason when we were playing with the higher level and powered characters Marshall Strong was always the first to get hit. He was taking anywhere from 125 to 175 points of damage on those hits. I guess he was just the lucky one or maybe it was because he has no defenses.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:16pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:13pm:
He was taking anywhere from 125 to 175 points of damage on those hits. 

Shocked

What's the "average" amount of damage you guys are dishing out?

YIM  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
  Nowhere near that right now but this is a different group. Captain Warlock is doing 1d12 with HTH and 1d8 with Telekinesis. Startide is doing 1d20 with Blasts but also has Gravity Powers and Htd Strength. Glare 2d8 with light but has HTD Attack. "Kid" Nemesis 2d8 but can change what type of damage so that has some interesting side effects. Stormbringer does 1d10 with Body Odor as previously mentioned and also has Weather Control so it varies. Some of the characters should be posted I believe.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
So would you say the average is something like 30-50 points?  Our group's pretty high powered and I think the damages usually done by heroes are around 20.  When an NPC does 30+ it's a massive hit!

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
With multiple attacks included in there that would be accurate. Keep in mind also the Non Powered Campaign John runs also. I have to post Black Jack if I did not already. Now you are talking about guys with baseball bats and 1d6 HTH.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
LOL - this reminds me of those Dos Equis commercials with 'the Most Interesting Man in the World'.

One of the sayings they do is that "he's won trophies for his game face alone".

Imagine him but only uglier and you get me!  Roll Eyes

So yeah with multiple attacks you are talking about a lot of average damage. But to Oni's point, there are a group of super weak characters and a group of super powerful ones plus Oni's characters  Shocked so your rule would apply nicely to the weak ones.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Not sure why, but I've got an idea for a "Mental" Stun rule. I'm still tinkering with the wording, and exact mechanics though.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as I would really like to see some feedback on it, if it's used in a game.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #17 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Note: I have not play-tested this yet, I'm just doing some thought experimentation.

Well, there is already a 1% chance per point of damage taken that the character will be knocked out. So if a character with an Endurance of 20 (to keep it simple), takes damage equal to his Endurance, he'll have a 20% chance of being KO'd. Using the stun rule, he would have a 5% chance of being stunned.

If he has an END of 30, and takes 30 damage, he'll have a 30% chance of being KO'd, and a 5% chance of being stunned.
If he has an END of 10, and takes 10 damage, he'll have a 10% chance of being KO'd, and a 50% chance of being stunned.

Depending on how you look at it, that could actually work.

Beyond all that, why not make a "Stunned" character behave as if "Fatigued" until he makes a "Wake-up Roll"?
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:20pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #18 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:20pm:
Note: I have not play-tested this yet, I'm just doing some thought experimentation.

Well, there is already a 1% chance per point of damage taken that the character will be knocked out. So if a character with an Endurance of 20 (to keep it simple), takes damage equal to his Endurance, he'll have a 20% chance of being KO'd. Using the stun rule, he would have a 5% chance of being stunned.

If he has an END of 30, and takes 30 damage, he'll have a 30% chance of being KO'd, and a 5% chance of being stunned.
If he has an END of 10, and takes 10 damage, he'll have a 10% chance of being KO'd, and a 50% chance of being stunned.

Depending on how you look at it, that could actually work.

Beyond all that, why not make a "Stunned" character behave as if "Fatigued" until he makes a "Wake-up Roll"?

Actually a character with a 10 END, who took more than 10 points damage from a single attack, would have 90% of being stunned, a character with a 20 END, who took more than 10 points damage from a single attack, would have have an 80%, chance, etc.

Yeah, acting as theough they were Fatigued would work as well.

I'd also like to see how option 2 works out. As the character's hit points drop, he'd be easier to stun.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Part of the confusion seems to stem from the fact that nobody posted what kind of save is being asked for.  D20? Percentile?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #20 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
I was figuring all that on the 1d20 saving roll. Thus making 10 or less on 1d20 is 50%.

Looks like this is a save vs 1d100. Completely acceptable, I just normally default to d20 saves.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
bumping this up too.