Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 52 in Review (Read 10001 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

52 in Review
Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
  I finally got around to reading the new DC 52 titles.   I have all of them up to issue four thanks to the tremendous bundle deal at the DCBS.  All 52 issues each month for 79 dollars!  So I have a bunch of comics that I wouldn't have normally picked up if that deal was not offered.

So I reached for my stack, and I am reading them in no particular order.  I will post my thoughts on them up to issue three.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: 52 in Review
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Mr. Terrific:  I liked it.  The art was good, the story run of the mill superhero.  The reboot was pretty soft.  Not much of a change, except he seems to be the original Mr. Terrific of this new universe.   There doesn't seem to be any JSA so far.   Karen Star is his girlfriend, and yes, it seems forced, and she is not Power Girl. 

My only complaint is that the T Spheres are the Deux Ex Machina that solves all his problems.

I would give the first three issues a C+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Men of War: This is an anthology series about soldiers.   I love the art in both stories and the stories were pretty good, especially the back up, which I really liked.

The first story is about soldiers fighting normals with some supers fighting back, and he is the grandson of Sgt. Rock.   That, I am not too sure about how I feel about this.

The second story is a more realistic story about  how fast soldiers have to react to the situation.  Without spoilers, I think it show show fast a bad decision can be made.

I give this series  a B.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Legion of Super Heroes:  This is not a reboot at all, its a continuation of the last series,  they even reference the Flashpoint and how it blocks off their access to time travel to modern Earth.   I always loved the Legion so I may give this a higher grade than it deserves.   I give it a B.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Grifter:  This is a hard reboot.  This is his first apearence.  I liked it more than I thought, and they are trying to fit it into the DCU proper what with the story leading them to Gotham City.  Its classic Grifter stuff, him vs Daemonities so I guess they brought his back story to the table also.  I would give it a B.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Green Arrow:  This comic is the opposite of Grifter.  With Grifter they took a Wildstorm comic and turned it into a DC comic.  With this, they took a DC comic and made it an Image comic.   This one, so far, is the one I liked the least.   I love the Dan Jurgeons, George Perez art, but  the story is pretty so so.  Grade C.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Green Lantern:  I am liking this.  Its not a reboot at all.  It continues right from the last Green Lantern series, and so do the other Green Lantern titles.     Which begs the question,  why did they reboot some of the comics and not others?   They will create the same problems that the Crisis did when they did the exact same thing.
    Anyway, Sinestro is the star of this comic, with  Hal Jordan as his reluctant side kick.    Anything else would be spoilers.     I would give this a good B+.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:04am by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Green Lantern Corps:  Nothing new hear.  It takes place right after the last series so its not a reboot at all.   The thing is, its breaking no new ground, so unless you are a Green Lantern fan, there is nothing to offer.  Same old,  aliens are killing Green Lanterns, and  Jon Stewart and Guy Gardner team up to solve the crimes.   C+.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Green Lantern The New Guardians:  The creepy blue guardians are being creepy.   The seven different color rings are being mysterious.   Ho Hum.

C-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Resurrection Man: Abbet and Laning are back on one of the great short lived series of the 90's.   Not a reboot, just a continuation of the last series.  So far its the best of the new comics.

A.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Red Lanterns:  Again, not a reboot,  continues from the Green Lantern series pre Flashboot.
     Can't say much without spoilers.  I will just say,  I love Peter Milligan's writing, so I  trust him to make it worth while.  It should be fun and the art is good superhero quality.   I like it but I know its more of a guilty pleasure than anything else.   

C+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Red Hood and the Outlaws:  Jason Todd,  Roy Harper and Koriandar are a super team chock full of sex and violance.   You can't get more 90's Image Comics than this.    It could fit into the old DCU with microscopic changes.   I like it despite what I just said.   I would not collect it if not for the bundle deal.

C

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:31am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:48pm:
Mr. Terrific:  I liked it.  The art was good, the story run of the mill superhero.  The reboot was pretty soft.  Not much of a change, except he seems to be the original Mr. Terrific of this new universe.   There doesn't seem to be any JSA so far.   Karen Star is his girlfriend, and yes, it seems forced, and she is not Power Girl. 

My only complaint is that the T Spheres are the Deux Ex Machina that solves all his problems.

I would give the first three issues a C+

I have not been a fan of this reboot. I like the writer from other work, but this just hasn't worked me so I dropped it after 4 issues.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:33am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 1st, 2012 at 11:55pm:
Legion of Super Heroes:  This is not a reboot at all, its a continuation of the last series,  they even reference the Flashpoint and how it blocks off their access to time travel to modern Earth.   I always loved the Legion so I may give this a higher grade than it deserves.   I give it a B.

I strongly think and feel that DC should have actually opted for a reboot in this case; the large cast has never been new reader friendly and compound that with starting a new series, while trying to attract new readers, with both a large cast and a feeling of in media res storytelling was a mistake in my opinion.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
The Fury of Firestorm  A reboot, but without Dr. Stein.  Its Ronnie and Jason Rusch as Firestorm.   Standard superhero stuff, more like its retreading than anything else.

C.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
The Flash: If its a reboot, they concealed it pretty well.  Its the same team from the last Flash series, so the claim of the new DC is being bold and such is a hard pill to swallow when  the same people that made the old DC boring are the same people that are trying to make it bold and new...
     Anyway, I love the art, but the story is lacking.    Seems like it is  reboot as Barry is not  yet married to Iris.

I give the art a B but the story a C so it comes out to an average of C+.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
John, what do you think of the reboot over all?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Over all, I am not too impressed.  More ticked off.  Why are some comics starting over, while others are intact?  That just makes the need for another reboot nessessary.

I am sure I will have a better grasp as I read more of the big comics like Batman, Superman and Justice League.    So far I am reading the C and B teams.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #18 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 2nd, 2012 at 2:47pm:
Over all, I am not too impressed.  More ticked off.  Why are some comics starting over, while others are intact?  That just makes the need for another reboot nessessary.

I am sure I will have a better grasp as I read more of the big comics like Batman, Superman and Justice League.    So far I am reading the C and B teams.

I'll wait for you to read over the other books before I post my  comments on them, as I don't want to spoil them for you.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Hawk And Dove:  Awful.  The worst so far.   I never bagged on Rob Leifield's art before, but I just have to say,  he is an amature.  Just terrible.   And the writing, come one.  I realise that all the comic writers lean towards the left politically, but can't one of them write a conservative that isn't a total jack ass?

D.

Edit- Forgot to mention, this is not a reboot at all.  It mentions all the other Dove's and  talks about stuff from Pre Flashpoint and talks about the Crisis on Infinite Earth.   So I am a bit confused.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:26pm by John »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Wonder Woman:  So far its excellent.  I am loving it.  I love that they are keeping it very close to Mythology.  And with some minor tweaks, it isn't really a reboot.  So far the only difference is that Hyppolyte is back to being a blond.     This could easily be the Pre Flashpoint Wonder Woman.

A.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Frankenstein:  I love the character and I love that he is the super agent of a government agency. However I will say that this comic suffers from what I call the Morrison Syndrome.  In that it tries to be too cool, and name drops too much super technology.    I mean, its hard to buy into a world with problems that require superheroes to solve when there are microscopic flying cities that wisk super agents around, and  guys like Mr. Terrific with super dimensional bases and flying magic problem solving balls.
    If they turned SHADE into a more traditonal, less magical technology, the tension would be more, and the comic would be the better for it.

B-

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:24pm:
I realise that all the comic writers lean towards the left politically, but can't one of them write a conservative that isn't a total jack ass?

It doesn't appear so. That is what they think a conservative is like.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Catwoman:  I love it.  One of their best.  Its everything I want from Catwoman, sex, violence and stealing. I don't like it when she is the reluctant hero.  She is a villian, she is a cat burglar.  She steals.    The only rebooty thing here is that she doesn't know who Batman is, otherwise its the same Selina.
A.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #24 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Deadman:  I thought the first three issues could have been told in one issue, but that is the way comics are done these days.  Its kind of gimmicky, in that it sounds like a pitch for a tv show, " Boston Brand is dead, and he must help others or loose his soul.."  By the third issue, it snuck up on me and I started to like it.  It doesn't seem like a reboot, except for the way Rama Kirishna is portrayed.

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #25 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Captain Atom:  I like that they are trying to give him a unique set of powers, and I like that the weakness actually makes a bit of sense given that set of powers.   But I can't help but think its  Dr. Manhattan.  I know he was the inspiration for the Doctor, but still.    I think he is too powerful, but different than Superman, and I think that is what they are going for.   I have to say, its not great, but I am intrigued.

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #26 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Deathstroke:   Doesn't seem to be much of a reboot.   Doesn't seem to be very interesting either.   

C-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #27 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Nightwing:  He is not Batman any longer so the last continuity is still in play.  Or is it?  You know what?  I don't care.  This comic is just filler,  sorry, but I only read it because I paid for it.      I am not really interested in the character,  so I have to admit,  the comic didn't hold my interest much either.

C-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Omac:   First off,  Keith Giffen is the worst.   Second,  Keith Giffen is not funny.  Third,  Keith Giffen is the worst.    Having said that,  I still found myself wanting to like this book.   Keep in mind that I didn't say I liked it, just that I wanted to like it.  I like the pseudo Kirby art, and the use of Kirby's characters,  and I liked that Giffen didn't put any of his grating "Bwahaha" humor in this.       It felt like an actual love letter to Kirby's DC stuff, so that helped it alot.   Still, I don't see a second year for this comic. 
   C+

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:15pm:
Omac:   First off,  Keith Giffen is the worst.   Second,  Keith Giffen is not funny.  Third,  Keith Giffen is the worst.    Having said that,  I still found myself wanting to like this book.   Keep in mind that I didn't say I liked it, just that I wanted to like it.  I like the pseudo Kirby art, and the use of Kirby's characters,  and I liked that Giffen didn't put any of his grating "Bwahaha" humor in this.       It felt like an actual love letter to Kirby's DC stuff, so that helped it alot.   Still, I don't see a second year for this comic. 
   C+

Why don't you let us know how you really feel?  Cheesy

YIM  
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 7:08am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:09pm:
Captain Atom:  I like that they are trying to give him a unique set of powers, and I like that the weakness actually makes a bit of sense given that set of powers.   But I can't help but think its  Dr. Manhattan.  I know he was the inspiration for the Doctor, but still.    I think he is too powerful, but different than Superman, and I think that is what they are going for.   I have to say, its not great, but I am intrigued.

B

I really wanted to enjoy Captain Atom, but it was pretty undefined within itself. After two issues I was thinking: who is this character? What is the direction of this series?

It felt like a mash-up of Captain Atom, Dr. Manhattan as you mention, and Captain Adam (Superman Beyond/Final Crisis), so much so that I think story and character felt like an after thought to a somewhat ill-defined high concept.

I dropped it after 2 issues.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:15pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #31 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Thats a good way to put it.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I believe I have my moments!  Cheesy

On Captain Atom and the scene-setting in most of the few 'New 52' titles I read; as far as I am concerned too few of the books I read had a strong #1.

To me a strong #1 says exactly who the cast is, pitches their personalities, and importantly sets a tone and direction for the series in question. At the price point of comics today, that is the least to expect in my opinion.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:18pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #33 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:15pm:
To me a strong #1 says exactly who the cast is, pitches their personalities, and importantly sets a tone and direction for the series in question. At the price point of comics today, that is the least to expect in my opinion.

I also don't expect the "origin story" to be spread out over 6 or 7 issues. 2 or 3 at the max. Decompressed story lines are killing comics.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #34 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I agree with that 100%.   Lee and Kirby told a great story in one issue most of the time.  Hell, Eisner did it in 8 pages!

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #35 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Do you know what surprised me a few years ago? When JLA and JSA relaunched, in JLA Meltzer went the 6-issue origin route and it was painful. In the first JSA issue, Geoff Johns, of all people (in other words, I associate him with the modern decompressed era), managed to 'get the gang together' pretty much in 1 oversized issue. And it was a pretty big gang at that. I just wish he had followed that blue-print with the JL relaunch...  Cry

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #36 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:53pm:
Do you know what surprised me a few years ago? When JLA and JSA relaunched, in JLA Meltzer went the 6-issue origin route and it was painful. In the first JSA issue, Geoff Johns, of all people (in other words, I associate him with the modern decompressed era), managed to 'get the gang together' pretty much in 1 oversized issue. And it was a pretty big gang at that. I just wish he had followed that blue-print with the JL relaunch...  Cry

Nope, IIRC, it's going to take 7 issues to tell the "origin" of this version of the Justice League.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #37 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Personally I like how each is being introduced as the focus in an issue to start. I think it shows a commitment (at least Im hoping) to a larger story arch and with luck a longer run by the creators. I like what seems like a similar (if a bit different) device being used in the Teen Titans

Ive already dropped a couple of the 52 because they dropped the artist I liked that started the reboot

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #38 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 4:10pm:
Personally I like how each is being introduced as the focus in an issue to start. I think it shows a commitment (at least Im hoping) to a larger story arch and with luck a longer run by the creators. I like what seems like a similar (if a bit different) device being used in the Teen Titans

I would have preferred they had a quick origin story (2-3 issues), that concentrating on bringing the team together, then stories where they spot lighted the character who don't have their own boos, as all of the big guns already get stage time int heir own titles.

As far as the New Teen Titans origins went, the new characters (Raven, Cyborg, and Starfire), and Changling (as he wasn't as well known), each got their own one issue origin, that was published as a one shot special.

One other thing I'm noticing is a distinct change in the way DC treats its heroes. Where before the majority of them were not only trusted, but praised by the general population, now they're being portrayed as something that can't quite be trusted, and need to be watched. Which is something I've grown a bit tired of.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #39 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
I could be wrong ... wouldn't be the first time today either, but I'm thinking the one hero intro per issue is a marketing device to introduce new readers to characters in a group book (where people always feel they are getting more bang for their buck) I believe they're hoping they transfer that interest into the individual titles  Smiley ... like Aquaman.

I'm still warming up to the new incarnations of the Titans. I have to admit if it wasn't for Lee and Booth doing the art on these two titles the slower storyline wouldn't be near as bearable.

I'm just guessing that I probably don't read as many new comics as alot of people so I haven't grown "overly" weary of it - yet, but I totally see you being tired of the public leeryness of discovering meta-humans in their midst and all the ramifications that would result. I do think it has it's place in a full reboot though.

I'm betting we won't see it after about six issues.  Cool

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #40 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Blackhawks:  I thought the Blackhawks were supposed to be an elite flying team.  Seems like this comic is a bout a military group  sponcered by the ( yawn) UN for some reason to do something.
   And they are supposed to be secret, and are freaking out because one of their secret planes was photographed because of its giant yellow logo.  Shows how stupid you must be if you work for the UN.
    And nanites.  Something about nanites.

C-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #41 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Bird of Prey: Its a reboot, or not,  I can't tell.  Batgirt can walk again, so the Killing Joke happened but its a reboot.  How confusing is that?
   Three issues and I think less then 50 words have been spoken.  Can anyone sayd decompression? 

C-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #42 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Batman The Dark Knight:  I don't know why this is the New 52 when it fits perfectly well with the old stuff.   Breaking no new ground, which is good, cause reboots usually mean the white guy is now a gay teen latino...
     I am failing to see why the new and exciting DC is so exciting when the main characters are exactly the same as the old boring DC.  Hell, its even the same 20 writers, artists and editors.  So I fail to see how they can claim that the old DC was dull and the new one is great when its brought to us by the same team.

B ( if you like Batman, C otherwise)

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #43 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
So for somebody who hasn't bought a single title of the new 52: How is DC explaining the reboot, continuity-wise within their stories?

It sounds like some things reference the old continuity, and others don't.  Some characters change immensely, and others don't.  Is there an explanation (like Crisis did)?

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #44 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
To Majestic: well I don't think DC really know. they have tried to avoid accepting it as a reboot or relaunch precisely. Some titles  (GL, Batman books) have had a soft reboot with little obvious change.

Others have changed radically (Teen Titans related titles), so there is no uniform way to describe the level or extent of change.

Basically it is now:
1. Flashpoint happened.
2. As a consequence super-heroes started appearing 5 years ago.

And some of what readers remember is in continuity. Some of it isn't. And some is supposed to be but has changed.

Does that help?*  Tongue

*Of course it doesn't, but then DC are hardly helping the readers with unclear guidance to writers (basing that on a comment by Sterling gates that if he had understood the truly blank slate available, Hawk and Dove would have been much different), and too many stories starting in media res without fully positioning and pitching their cast.  Angry
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 3:57pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #45 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 3:26pm:
So for somebody who hasn't bought a single title of the new 52: How is DC explaining the reboot, continuity-wise within their stories?

It sounds like some things reference the old continuity, and others don't.  Some characters change immensely, and others don't.  Is there an explanation (like Crisis did)?

They haven't explained it, and to make things even more confusing, some books reference events that may, or may not have happened. Teen Titans is the perfect example, one book says there have been groups of TT in the past, while others say they're the first team.

And then there's Batman, who's somehow managed to have had, FOUR separate Robins, in the course of five years.  Huh  I really don't think TPTB thought this trough very well. They basically kept books that were selling well, Batman, Green Lantern (although I think GL had more to do with the DC thinking the movie was going to be a huge hit), and left them alone, while gutting pretty much everything else, and then trying to infuse both Wildstorm and Milestone characters, while giving the DcnU more of a Wildstorm/Image feel to it.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #46 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Ditto

From a purely selfish perspective. I'm just happy to see soem Jim Lee and Brett Booth artwork . . .

. . .  but more importantly (assuming the artwork remains quality) Aquaman has been a real gem so far in my opinion.  Cool
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 5:46pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #47 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 5:46pm:
. . .  but more importantly (assuming the artwork remains quality) Aquaman has been a real gem so far in my opinion.  Cool

I had five of the 52 titles on my pull list (Aquaman, Justice League, Green Lantern, Legion of Superheroes, and Teen Titans). Of the five, I've been enjoying Aquaman the mos. But, IMO, they could have wrapped up the first storyline in two issues. JL is taking WAY to long to get the core group together (Six issues is ridiculous, pick up the damned pace already). While I love Brett's artwork, I'm not really liking any of the new Titans he's introduced. And they just kind of seem to be bumbling around. As far as the Legion goes, if I hadn't been reading the old series, I'd be lost, and that's not counting the fact that they've got a separate group of Legionaire's (including two of my favorites) running around in the past. And GL while a solid story, isn't anything great, and you REALLY needed to be flowing the old book to have clue as to who some of these characters are.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #48 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Blue Beetle:  I feel like I read this one already. Its pretty much just a retelling of the last Blue Beetle comic that just came out.   I love the art, and the story is ok, but it just seems like they just finished telling his origin, and then right away, they are telling it again.

C+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #49 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Batman: Seems to have picked right up from the last series.  There are a billion Robins,  Bruce Wayne is the known financier of Batman.   So why the reboot?
    After all that,  this is a great comic.  Is creepy, and I like the villian they are setting up.  The Owl.  So far its got some good ideas in it.   One of the better titles from DC.

A

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #50 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
John, do you have any idea which books you'll continue to collect?

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #51 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
When the bundle deal is over, I am not sure if I would collect any.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:32pm by John »  

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #52 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 4:29am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 6:47pm:
Blue Beetle:  I feel like I read this one already. Its pretty much just a retelling of the last Blue Beetle comic that just came out.   I love the art, and the story is ok, but it just seems like they just finished telling his origin, and then right away, they are telling it again.

C+

The new Blue Beetle has felt like a re-tread through and through. #5 will be make or break for me to continue collecting it or drop it.

If I hadn't read the entire first Reyes series and the Second Feature he had, then fine, but they should have done his 'origin' in one issue rather than stringing out his early days like this.

He isn't a brand-new character, no matter how they try to spin it; he has been on the Brave and the
Bold cartoon, he has held down his own comic for 3 years, he has had action figures: to treat him like a brand new character and starting his story at the beginning was a stupid call without sufficient additional plot to drive the first few issues. Unfortunately over 4 issues so far there has been little else but this 'early days' positioning of the story. 4 issues of set-up? At those prices? Think a little more DC, think.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #53 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the explanations, Pulp and D.  Though I have to say it sounds like DC really didn't think this through very well.  The gal who owns/runs my comic shop said that her customers really like a variety of the new titles.  Some love X and hate Y, while the next customer might love Y and hate X.

I read over what Flashpoint is/was on Wikipedia, but I'm still a bit confused as to what's happening in the DCU.

Perhaps I'll check out Aquaman.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #54 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
That is the thing though - my LCS says there are more readers aboard for DC through them as a result. New readers, not just readers they have buying other things. So to an extent it is working. But I guess that someone like me falls outside of their intended demographic.

So the changes have been a good thing in some ways, but on a personal level, for me, not so much.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #55 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
DC has some fine characters, but I've never felt invested in the DC Universe the same way I have with the Marvel Universe.

Actually there are a number of Marvel characters I could plug into the DC universe and say yeah that would work. As merely an opinion, except for the Batman, I don't think I could say  the same the other way around. At least not for any of the brand Icons.

Just a thought but I think Image and Wildstorm would be more successful had thye found a home with Marvel.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2012 at 7:29pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #56 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I tend to agree, especially about the thought that the Image and Wildstorm characters would have likely found a more successful home at Marvel.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #57 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 5:06am
Print Post  
However at the time of the acquisition, wasn't Marvel still struggling financially? They emerged from bankruptcy about a year or so before the sale to DC of Wildstorm, so probably were in no shape at that time to try anything like that I guess.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #58 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 11:40am
Print Post  
You're probably right. Which is a shame. At DC they'll get buried under the Icons and the associated titles. Admitted Marvel has it's own issues. I mean really one more so called Avengers book and my head is going to explode.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #59 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 11:47am
Print Post  
*Psst* maybe avoid Avengers Assemble then...

Tongue

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #60 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 11:47am:
*Psst* maybe avoid Avengers Assemble then...

Tongue

Cheesy Well I was referring more to titles like Pet Avengers, Dark Avengers, Avengers Academy . . . and even though I've enjoyed the run, the "New" Avengers are (to me at least) really just the Defenders under the Avengers umbrella.

I still enjoy things like A vs X, Children's Crusade, and now apparently Avengers Assemble if written properly.

My wallet thanks you for the heads up I hadn't heard of AA yet  Wink

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #61 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Batman: Detective Comics:  I can't say its Batman finally done right, as so many have done Batman done right.  I will say its Batman done very well.  Spot on, going after creepy serial killers.  It could use more Detectiviness to distinguish it from the other Batbooks.   

A if you like Batman   B if you just like good comics.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #62 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Batman DarkNight:   See above.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #63 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I, Vampire:  The good and the bad.  The good,  the art is great.  Nice and creepy like a vampire comic should.  Second, I like the grand idea, that the vampires are tired of hiding and sneaking about, but Andrew Bennet, I guess he is DC's Dracula? feels this move is suicidal.   So the two sides are going to war.
    The bad... Three issues that could very easily sqeezed into one Vertigo comic.  This is decompression at its worst.    And the worst thing a comic can do?  I challenge anyone to pick up issue three and then tell me what is going on.  You can't.    This comic is very unfriendly to the causal reader.   If you missed issue one, forget it.  You will never know what is going on.   Kind of like Fringe in that the steps have to be taken in order.    Not a good idea at 3 dollars for a comic with 35 words in it.

The concept A if you like vampires, but C- in execution. Otherwise C overall.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #64 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Demon Knights:  I am sure  I will suprused everyone by saying I loved this.   Its set after the call of Camelot and the more D&D'y types of DC fill out the team.
  Madame Xanadu, Jason Blood, the Shining Knight, Vandal Savage, and two new characters an Amazon and girl called the Horsewoman, are fighting a hoard of barbarians.    If they pull this off, it will be great, but I feel this will be plucked before it ripens.

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #65 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Aquaman:  Geoff Johns is the Comic Doctor.  If you comic is sick, call him and he will fix it.   In three issues he has made the three single best Aquaman comics I ever read.   I know that is damning with faint praise, but I mean it in the best way.   The story is slow but the bad guys are scary and very Lovecraftian, something that I think fits well with undersea superheroes.
     He is setting Arthur up well,  and even goofing on his shitty reputation as the *ahem* fish out of water among the super community.   
     Great art and again,  I love the look of the bad guys.   On of the 52's best.

A+   If you like Aquaman.  If you don't like Aquaman, then  you shouldn't be reading comics.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #66 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:27pm:
Aquaman:  Geoff Johns is the Comic Doctor.  If you comic is sick, call him and he will fix it.   In three issues he has made the three single best Aquaman comics I ever read.   I know that is damning with faint praise, but I mean it in the best way.   The story is slow but the bad guys are scary and very Lovecraftian, something that I think fits well with undersea superheroes.
     He is setting Arthur up well,  and even goofing on his shitty reputation as the *ahem* fish out of water among the super community.   
     Great art and again,  I love the look of the bad guys.   On of the 52's best.

A+   If you like Aquaman.  If you don't like Aquaman, then  you shouldn't be reading comics.

I'm really liking this book, the art, the writing, the tone, but its TO DAMNED SLOW. The first story arc could have been told in two issues, and that's my #1 complaint about the whole relaunch. Decompression is killing comics.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #67 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
I agree.  And I will say its happening to all comics ( Marvel and DC) latley.

To illustrate the point, I read the newest Secret Avengers when Black Widow goes back in time to save them from death.   It took me a while to read and I said, "Wow"   One issue and a whole story, with characters and resolutions and everything.  It made me stop and think about how rare this was.    And it was a great story.   How sad is that that that a full one issue comic is the exception these days?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #68 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:47pm:
I agree.  And I will say its happening to all comics ( Marvel and DC) latley.

To illustrate the point, I read the newest Secret Avengers when Black Widow goes back in time to save them from death.   It took me a while to read and I said, "Wow"   One issue and a whole story, with characters and resolutions and everything.  It made me stop and think about how rare this was.    And it was a great story.   How sad is that that that a full one issue comic is the exception these days?

It's really rare, and I think it's part of the problem the comic industry has today. If they want to get people to pick up a book, they're going to have to cut back on the 6-7 issues storyline, and concentrate on single issue stories. While it's cool to have long running subplots, and a central theme, anyone should be able to pick up a book and get a complete story in 24 pages, especially when books are $3 or $4 a pop.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #69 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Oh but that would kill the trade paperback compilations and we cant have that - practically a generation of comic book "fans" think that's the best way to go.  Cry
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2012 at 5:58pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #70 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 5:57pm:
Oh but that would kill the trade paperback compilations and we cant have that - practically a generation of comic book "fans" think that's the best way to go.  Cry

Not really, long before they started "writing for trades" you could by collected versions of comics.

And as far as TPB go, the big two are shooting themselves in the foot by republishing books 3-6 months after a storyline wraps up. I can't tell you how many times I read someone saying they're going to wait for the trade, and save money. Why should you spend $18-24, while waiting anywhere from 6-12 months (due to delays), waiting for a storyline to finish, when you can order the trade, three months after it was published, for $15 off of Amazon, and have it shipped to your front door. Can you blame people for not wanting to be bothered with having to go 1) find a comic shop, 2) save money in the process?

I'd suggest they wait at least 12-18 months before republishing anything.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #71 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
hmmm maybe my sarcasm didnt come through Smiley

That's exactly what I meant Dom. Theses guys are killing the industry with these things. You use to be able to buy collected version, but not to this extent (at least in Indiana). They definitely need to cut back on the decompression writing that is just for the sake of this TPB stuff. Save it for the things like Avenger's Sanction or Fear. Let the regular titles stand on their own merit.

I like the one year wait but some bean counter is running the show Im sure
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2012 at 7:02pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #72 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Batwing:  I didn't want to like it, but it won me over.  Up to three, its excellent.   I love that it is set in Africa, in a made up nation.  The government is corrupt, the police are corrupt, and there are hints that the local superteam is also corrupt.  Batman equips the one steadfast cop in town and trains him to save his city.   

A

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #73 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Batgirl: Ok so its not a reboot?   She was crippled by the Joker, but some miracle has cured her.   But she is broke, and I guess, was never Oracle?  I am confused.
   I liked that she had to go back to get her Motorcycle from police impound.  That was a nice touch.    I enjoyed it all around, untill the last page of issue three.

She tells Nightwing that she needs to solve this crime on her own.   WHat arrogance. 

She froze and a cop was shot, and a murderer was killed.  She failed to stop a train from blowing up.  But screw that, her ego needs a boost so damn the innocents who die cause she is not ready to be Batgirl again.    Nightwing should have said, when  you show me you can do it, I will leave you alone.
   Between this and Black Panther refusing help over at Marvel  while his villain is killing left and right makes me wonder who they are out in costume for,  the people or themselves?

Oh, and  loved the bad guy.  I will steal him for a future V&V game.

B-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #74 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Supergirl:   Blah blah blah origin. Blah blah blah.

Issue three it picked up.  I liked that.  Lets hope it builds momentum.

C

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #75 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Batman and Robin:  Ok so there were Robins before,  and  Batman was "dead"  so how is this a reboot?

I like the character of Damion, and if they stay focused on his relationship with his father, this should be a good read.   I like how   Bruce is trying to humanise his sociopathic son.    Pretty interesting.

The  Superheros stuff is secondary, as is, I think its supposed to be. 

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #76 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Batwoman:  All over excellent.  Excellent art, probably the best in comics right now,  and good characterisation.   I loved that they brought back one of my all time and much lamented series, Chase, into this.
    So all is going very well.   

One little nitpick, and I know I will get shit stormed for this...
   In the orgion box at the start of the comic, do they have to say that she is a proud lesbian?    Why tell us, and not show us?   Is Superman a proud heterosexual?    I don't know,  I guess I am a still old fashioned.  What do I know,  I am a proud masturbator.  Oh, I guess that was private, and so is being hetero or homo.   That is my point.

A+

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #77 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Shocked Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Cool
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2012 at 10:50pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #78 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Static Shock:  I liked it.   I can't believe I am saying this, but I don't  think they brough people like me who are unfamiliar with the character up to speed.

I know he existed in the Milestone Universe that was just absorbed by the DCU.  But why does he have a sister and her clone living with him?   Who are the people he refers to that are not in the story?  Who is Hardware and why does he give Static so much equipment.  For a lot of people, this is their first time with this character.   An explaination of his powers would be cool.  I assumed he was Black Lighting Jr what with the costume and name, but it looks like he can do anything.
   He has magnetic powers, ligthting powers, force feild,  gravity powers, super intellegence...  Seems like a Mary Sue to me.

C

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #79 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Swamp Thing:  Ok not a reboot.  It refers to practically everything in the past comics, except Tefe.
    So I am getting more and more increasingly confused with the new 52. 
    Anyway, back to Swamp Thing.   I am glad they shed all the four elemental powers, as that made him a god.   This is off to a good start.  Keep in mind, Swamp Thing has been one of my favorite comics.  I have gotten every comic that I know about that he apears in.  So I am very picky about this comic.  So far so good.  Not great, but good.

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #80 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Shade: Not part of the 52, its a 12 issue mini that may be cancelled before issue 12.    The Oscar Wild as a super villain/libertine/superheroe thing worked when I was in college.  It seems awfully forced now.

C-

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #81 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 6:00am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:52pm:
Static Shock:  I liked it.   I can't believe I am saying this, but I don't  think they brough people like me who are unfamiliar with the character up to speed.

I know he existed in the Milestone Universe that was just absorbed by the DCU.  But why does he have a sister and her clone living with him?   Who are the people he refers to that are not in the story?  Who is Hardware and why does he give Static so much equipment.  For a lot of people, this is their first time with this character.   An explaination of his powers would be cool.  I assumed he was Black Lighting Jr what with the costume and name, but it looks like he can do anything.
   He has magnetic powers, ligthting powers, force feild,  gravity powers, super intellegence...  Seems like a Mary Sue to me.

C

I think you highlight a problem of perhaps more than a few of the new 52 books; they are focusing on developing mystery about largely-recognisable but-not-quite-the-same-as-they-were characters, adding to their power sets, yet taking far too long to develop them or explain.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #82 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 6:01am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:59pm:
Shade: Not part of the 52, its a 12 issue mini that may be cancelled before issue 12.    The Oscar Wild as a super villain/libertine/superheroe thing worked when I was in college.  It seems awfully forced now.

C-

I liked it a lot; reminded me of the feel of Starman, and that series I look forwards to re-reading now I have the set of omnibuses.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2012 at 6:01am by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #83 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 6:44am
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Jan 21st, 2012 at 6:00am:
John wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 6:52pm:

C

I think you highlight a problem of perhaps more than a few of the new 52 books; they are focusing on developing mystery about largely-recognisable but-not-quite-the-same-as-they-were characters, adding to their power sets, yet taking far too long to develop them or explain.

This may give some insight into the problems inherent with the book:

John Rozum Bleeding Cool interview

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #84 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 9:29am
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 6:44am:

Ahhhh....DC Editorial strikes again.  Roll Eyes Remember this is the same crew that brought us such wonderful ideas as Armageddon 2001, where in the last issue of the series, Hawk goes crazy, murders dove, and becomes a not one, but two time traveling supervillians. Hal Jordan goes crazy, and becomes a universe beating supervillain. Where their three most recognizable characters (Bats, Supes, and WW) were not appearing in their own books, and they'd also killed Aquaman, and Martian Man Hunter. And I could go on and on.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2012 at 9:33am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #85 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Stormwatch:  Ok so this is  reboot.  The Engineer, check.  Hawksmoor, check.  Apollo, check.  Midnighter, check.  Jenny Q, check. 
    So who is everyone else?  I get the Projectionist, cool idea.  Which one is the Doctor?  Who is everyone else?    
    You can't start a reboot comic in media res.    Some good ideas, but something is off.  Seems like people with less talents then the old Stormwatch/Authority guys trying their best to copy them.

And Martian Manhunter on the team seems out of place. They must have read my story write up about the Solution, my Authority rip off for my V&V game. They had a Martian Manhunter rip off called the Martian and liked the idea.    I am being spied on by DC!

C
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:19pm by John »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #86 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:18pm:
I am being spied on by DC!

They're in your head!!!  Cheesy

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #87 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Suicide Squad:   Not sure if this is  reboot or what, but then I don't think DC knows either.  If you like the concept, then this is the Suicide Squad done, well, like the incarnations of the squad from before.  Its a good idea and well executed.  My only complaint is that now Amanda Waller is young, slim hot girl?   That is not right.

B+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #88 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
All Star Western:  The same team that brought us the wonderful Jonah Hex pre Flashpoint is now on this book.  Great art, great writing.   And it actually has words, it took me the longest to read this comic than any other DC comic so far.
     Its now set in Gotham City right after the civil war, with Hex being paid by Dr. Arkham to help him solve the crimes being committed by a Jack The Ripper type of serial killer. 
     I can't say how much I love this.  Of course, its one of the titles that is in trouble.   Pick up the first story arc, its really that good.

A+

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #89 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
John, I'm really enjoying your reviews. Thanks. Smiley

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #90 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Cool, thanks.   Just a fun thing for me to do.  Glad you like it.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #91 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 9:29am:
PulpCitizen wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 6:44am:

Ahhhh....DC Editorial strikes again.  Roll Eyes Remember this is the same crew that brought us such wonderful ideas as Armageddon 2001, where in the last issue of the series, Hawk goes crazy, murders dove, and becomes a not one, but two time traveling supervillians. Hal Jordan goes crazy, and becomes a universe beating supervillain. Where their three most recognizable characters (Bats, Supes, and WW) were not appearing in their own books, and they'd also killed Aquaman, and Martian Man Hunter. And I could go on and on. 

Okay, John Rozum has posted at length about this on his blog:

'Why I quit Static Shock'
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:45am by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #92 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog John Rozum.com does not exist. 

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2012 at 6:15pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #93 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Fixed.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #94 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Animal Man:  I love Animal Man, and have been collecting his comics since his last, great, run.   In the three issues I have read of this new series, it shows the potential to return to that greatness.   Its a little derivitive of Swamp Thing, with the Red replacing the Green, but thats cool.
   I think its a solid comic, and it looks like its not a reboot at all, which is a plus.

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #95 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Superboy:  Its a hard reboot.  Its a bit confusing,  and the art is on the Leifield school of anatomy side.    Need I say more?

C

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #96 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Savage Hawkman:  I have always liked Hawkman.  I think he has one of the greatest backstories in all of superheroe comics.  He has ties to Ancient Egypt and an alien civilization.  He dies and is reborn like the sun was supposed to as per the Egyptians.    What a tremendous pool to draw from, and what does DC do?  They give us this crap comic that was a chore to read.  I just finished it and I was so bored I didn't even engage myself to remember the details.     And the debut villian is called Morphicus?   That is the name of a villian we all made up in third grade.

Garbage

D

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #97 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Superman:  Its a reboot but not a clean start.  FIrst off,  Clark and Lois are not married, nor dating.   Other than that and the costume change,  its seems to be just like every other Superman.
    Three issues and the only real difference is that there doesn't seem to be as much Superman worship in Metropolis as there used to be.   
    And  the art really picks up on issue three when George Perez does more than just layouts.
   Nothing really special here.  Just competant super hero comics.  I was expecting more.

C+

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #98 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Well in case your interested Savage Hawkman has a different creator "plotting" the scripts

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36420

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #99 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:57am
Print Post  
More proof that DC is on drugs.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #100 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Action Comics:  Full reboot.  And  I noticed some inconsistencies with Superman.    *fanboy nitpick mode ACTIVATE*   Superman's cape is invulerable in Action but its all torn up in Superman!

*OFF*

I liked Action more than I did Superman.  I get that its set at the begining of his career as Superman and he is not as powerful yet.   Its also a return to Socialist Superman as per his roots with Seigel and Schuster.  He is a more brass and bold personality, enjoying his power.  And that beats the weepy Superman we have been dealing with the past few decades.
   My big problem is that the xenophobia against aliens and superheroes in general as  shown by the hero's actions in all of the new DC seem to be reasonable to me. I don't know but all powerful aliens with a "tude"  bypassing laws and destroying property when they can avoid it with all their powers would make any reasonable man scared.    So to me, they need to make Superman more heroic. 

C+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #101 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Justice League:  I know people have been knocking this, and I was prepared for the worst.  But I have to say, I enjoyed the first three issues.   
   I liked that Darkseid is the cause of the birth of the league, even though I loved Starro the Conqueror.   I liked that Flash and Green Lantern seemed to be friendly and mistrustful of Batman.   Superman comes off as a bit of a bully, and that rubs me the wrong way.  And I understand this is set in the past and I look forward to the more heroic league in a few issues.     I am confused that Cyborg is "born" in this comic.  But I haven't read the Titans yet, so I guess Cyborg is a JLAer now.       The only thing that bothers me is that DC really didn't need a reboot, but that is moot at this point.

B+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #102 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:38am
Print Post  
Teen Titans:  Red Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, Skitter, Solstice and Bunker are the team I could give two shits about.   

And they were the quickest reads of all the new 52.   

Crap.

D

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #103 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 6:56am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:09am:
Justice League:  I know people have been knocking this, and I was prepared for the worst.  But I have to say, I enjoyed the first three issues.   
   I liked that Darkseid is the cause of the birth of the league, even though I loved Starro the Conqueror.   I liked that Flash and Green Lantern seemed to be friendly and mistrustful of Batman.   Superman comes off as a bit of a bully, and that rubs me the wrong way.  And I understand this is set in the past and I look forward to the more heroic league in a few issues.     I am confused that Cyborg is "born" in this comic.  But I haven't read the Titans yet, so I guess Cyborg is a JLAer now.       The only thing that bothers me is that DC really didn't need a reboot, but that is moot at this point.

B+

The big problem I have with JL is the casual killing displayed by Superman and the rest (witness Parademons being dispatched with no reference to any moments of conscience from the previously against-killing League members from the pre-reboot days). Yes it is a war situation, but it simply does not line up with how I have known these heroes over my decades of comics reading.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #104 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
I thought the first few issues of Justice League were a bit plodding, but as the series continues it seems to be picking up it's pace

I'm an unrepentant fan of Tim Drake and unlike Nightwing (big Grayson fan also) the artwork is appealing to me. I'm interested I the character development. I admit Skitter and Bunker don't grab me, but it took some time for me to appreciate Cyborg so I'll give them a chance - as long as Booth is doing the artwork

Heroes killing demons is about on par with robots - for me

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #105 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Right,  the heroe's actions are the biggest argument for the public's fear of them.   Makes me want to almost root for Luthor.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #106 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Justice League International:  I am sure I will get lambasted when I say  I hated the BWAAHHAA Justice League.  In fact, I will go on record to say that I hope Keith Giffen gets ass leporsy and shits his organs out.  I loved the art though, but that is besides the point.
    So  I am pleasently suprised that this comic is true to the old JLI but without the humourless humor.   
     The comic is breaking no new ground, except that its invalidating the underated  last Booster Gold series.  I loved that series.
    This seems to be more of the same old, standard superheroes being superheroy.   Decent art.

B-

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #107 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Justice League Dark:  I really liked this.  I liked the creepy tooth storm that took Superman and Wonder Woman out of the story.    I liked that the magic is rather toned down, and I feel that DC's magic users are more "mystical" than Marvel's magic users who tend to be more cosmic.
   I loved the art, and the story is unfolding nicely, thats a given as I love Peter Milligan.
   Having said that,  I don't see a future for this comic.  Probably ten issues or less.

I liked it though.

B+

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #108 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
And that is all  52 of them, plus two minis.

I will comment on any DC comic here from now on, when I feel the need.

So far I think that the reboot was unnessassary and confusing.  They should just have started the comics all at 1 but without a reboot, as except for the Teen Titans,  only minor changes have happened to most of the characters.  And those changes could have been done in the story with out a reboot.

I think Batman came out unscathed, and his comics are pretty solid right now.

Superman bothers me.   He is not the true blue good guy that he should be.   

Wonder Woman was given an edge that she desperatly needs, and the mythological part of her is played up. As it should be.

I shudder to think what they will do with Captain Marvel when they finally get around to him.

The winners of the reboot are Aquaman, Batman, Animal Man, and Swamp Thing.

The losers, well,  Hawkman,  Superman ( just feel that he is not the Superman that I knew and loved), and the Teen Titans.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #109 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Voodoo:  oops, I thought I was done then I found this series in the wrong pile.

So far so good.  I liked teh character back in the Wildstorm days and I guess they kept her as an alien hybrid.  She has more powers though, and none of them have anything to do with Voodoo, the magic.  I hate when characters names don't refect their powers ( Cable, the worst name in all of  comics).
      I am not sure if she is a hero or villain.   I am sure she killed some innocent people  so I am guessing at the angle of this, which I guess is a good thing.  I mean, I don't care where Hawk And Dove, Hawkman and Green Arrow are going, so this is a good sign.

B

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #110 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
OK now that the DCBS bundle deal is over, I am dropping most DC comics.    The one I am keeping for sure is Wonder Woman.  This is by far the best mainstream comic that DC is putting out.

So that leaves 52 titles on the chopping block.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #111 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
What do you think of Aquaman?

YIM  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #112 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Feb 3rd, 2012 at 7:20pm:
I hate when characters names don't refect their powers ( Cable, the worst name in all of  comics).

Right! With him in the group you get the NFL package from his shoulder pads and the Oprah network from his pouches...

On topic, again John, this has been, and will continue to be a thread worth following; I appreciate your reviews on this site.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #113 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I got three of these (free gifts from the DC booth at Emerald City Comicon).

After reading The Flash, Batman, and Swamp Thing, I'm still pretty 'meh' and not that impressed.

I'm still pretty confused why they did it at all, yet alone why they did it so half-heartedly?

How long until they put everything back to normal?  The over-under is currently at 6-1/2 months (from now).    Wink

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #114 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I hate Giffen's Justice League. His LSH was pretty bad, but at least his art was terrible enough you couldnt really tell when he was trying to make an inappropriate inside joke or something. you want funny heroes? fine. but not the justice league.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #115 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
to be fair, the inks & colors torpedoed his lsh art.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #116 - May 12th, 2012 at 11:54am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Apr 22nd, 2012 at 12:50pm:
What do you think of Aquaman?

I think its the second best next to Wonder Woman.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #117 - May 12th, 2012 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
I picked up the first issues of Earth 2 and World's Finest. I was always a fan of that pre-Crisis concept of Earth 2 and was excited to see DC reintroduce the idea.

I didn't care for the revamped versions of Power Girl or Huntress in the relaunch or the "buddy film" interplay between the two heroines, so I don't plan to stick with World's Finest. From a purely academic standpoint, though, it was interesting to see a version of Helena Wayne who had grown up as Robin and only now was taking the name Huntress (but I still prefer to original take on that character).

I am sticking with Earth 2, at least long enough to pick up the next issue or two. I like the concept of Wonder Woman as the "last amazon" of Earth 2, think the character of Al Pratt (Atom) shows promise, and like the re-imagining of a young Jay Garrick (Flash).

IP Logged

>