Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ATTACK of the REALLY BIG THING! (Read 35195 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

ATTACK of the REALLY BIG THING!
Jul 1st, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Pretty soon a new file should showis up on the FGU site. This one is a little different...

It is an experimental set of guidelines for paying with/against "Really Big" monsters, people, and stuff. No "Really Big Robots" or "Realy Big Spaceships" in this one - I felt that was very nicely covered by the Doomsday Robot in "Deathduel with the Destroyers".

The idea is that YOU GUYS can help wring out the rules. I have created a thread in te FGU forum to discuss issues and ideas here:
http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33

We'll see how this goes  Huh

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:41am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: ATTACK of the REALLY BIG THING!
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 2:49am
Print Post  
I looked it over already... kicked the tires. Gave you my feedback. I'm okay with it. Any I could see a situation where it would helpful to have rule for the truly big and ungainly.

Kudos!

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
So where is the document?  Huh

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 5:26am
Print Post  
Yep.  I couldn't find it either  Sad

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:10am
Print Post  
The document has been posted as a "Resource" to the Fantasy Games Unlimited web site in the freebies section:
http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/page7.html

If you go there and do not see the document, press "F5" to refresh the page (I had to do that on both of my machines - running CHROME)

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I also noticed "Mall Madness" sneaked in there when I wasn't looking!?

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:53am
Print Post  
So far, the only things I don't like about the "Really Big Thing" rules are:

1) It should be noted that the information and rule guidelines presented in this work are not to be considered “Canonical” at this point as they are only in beta test

This is located on the intro page and should be removed.

2) I understand that many will not see the need for these rules, or will state that “Giant Monsters” do not belong in V&V since it is about “American Comic books”. In response I will point out the “Giant Monster” in the V&V rule book, as well as the fact that Godzilla and King Kong have both had their own comic books here in the U.S.

This is on page 3 and should also be removed.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I haven't had time to check out these guidelines yet, but even so I agree with Dispkay Name. Giant monsters are par for the course in the history of American comics.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
When the guidelines are out of beta, both of the above statements will be removed.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
One question for you, John:

What page is that image (of the RBT in the rules) on?  I seem to vaguely remember it, but I just looked and can't find anything.

Was it in the 1st Edition rules?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
"Revised Edition", page 31, bottom right corner.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:41am:
I also noticed "Mall Madness" sneaked in there when I wasn't looking!?

Yep, it's up now as well.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I'm curious why the Detect Danger score for Gorillasaurus isn't 30%, like other non-sentients -- and why he doesn't have -1 Reactions to Good and Evil, given his Ferocity: 14

Also, if Gorillasaurus is non-sentient, and only acts/defends as Level 4 as a result, I'm not certain how the character has Training: Endurance (as non-sentient creatures don't progress through levels to train).
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:48pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
What formula was used to calculate the Experience Points for Gorillasaurus? The standard rulebook guideline is [(Hit Points + Power Points) x Level x 2] but the total listed for this character is much lower than that score.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Will be fixed in Revision.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:20pm:
Will be fixed in Revision.

I didn't know whether the items I noticed while skimming through the document were mistakes or intentional RBT guidelines.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
His EXP value should be 275,646 (I mistyped it as 575,646 in the document). That is HP+Power. Since Animals don't have EXP levels I left the "x EXP Level x 2" portion of the equation off.So MAYBE that is a guideline, the other errors were just bad writing. They are fixed in the Rev 001 document already, but that will not be released for a while - I don't want Yad to have to do a new file and have James upload every 2 or 3 days.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:17pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #17 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:16pm:
His EXP value should be 275,646 (I mistyped it as 575,646 in the document). That is HP+Power. Since Animals don't have EXP levels I left the "x EXP Level x 2" portion of the equation off.So MAYBE that is a guideline, the other errors were just bad writing. They are fixed in the Rev 001 document already, but that will not be released for a while - I don't want Yad to have to do a new file and have James upload every 2 or 3 days.

If the creature is non-sentient and therefore defaults to Level 4, the revised rulebook guidelines would suggest multiplying (Hits + Power) by a total of 8 when calculating XP.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:32pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #18 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm:
If the creature is non-sentient and therefore defaults to Level 4, the revised rulebook guidelines would suggest multiplying (Hits + Power) by a total of 8.

That may be subject to debate. Do animals have any Experience level at all? They do fight as if they were level 4, but they cannot earn any experience. In fact, no non-sentient animal I have found in any of my V&V books has an EXP LEVEL at all. So... it could be "N/A", which I would read as zero for math purposes. It could be "1", or it could even be "4". Is a small dog worth Zero experience, 48 pts, 96 pts, or 384 pts?

Although this is not a point I thought I would be discussing, I'm glad it came up, as it needs to be addressed.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:55pm:
That may be subject to debate. Do animals have any Experience level at all? They do fight as if they were level 4, but they cannot earn any experience. In fact, no non-sentient animal I have found in any of my V&V books has an EXP LEVEL at all. So... it could be "N/A", which I would read as zero for math purposes. It could be "1", or it could even be "4". Is a small dog worth Zero experience, 48 pts, 96 pts, or 384 pts?

Although this is not a point I thought I would be discussing, I'm glad it came up, as it needs to be addressed.

In the revised rules, the section on animals says that non-sentient creatures fight as Level 4, and your character sheet reiterates that point by saying under the asterisk that the creature acts as Level 4. So from the game mechanics the character is Level 4.

If animal stats in the published books don't list levels it's because they act as Level 4, as already covered in the rules.

The power Illusions states that Solid Energy Illusions, which have Hits (but no Power Points), fight at Level 4 and are worth 8 XP for every Hit Point they have. This is consistent with the formula of multiplying (Hits + Power) x Level x 2.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:31am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:36am
Print Post  
I do not disagree that non-sentients fight at level 4, I only question whether r not it applies to experience calculation. By the logic above, a small dog is worth 384 experience points; just over half the exp value of "Mirage" from Most Wanted Vol. 1 and three times the experience value of "Temper" from Crisis at Crusader Citadel. I am not saying anyone is wrong or right, I am just adding some perspective.

I can see (HP+PWR)*2 also being viable as non-sentients simply do not have an experience level. They also don't have an Intelligence Characteristic, but the Hit Point Modifier for non-sentient is "1" and not "0", so perhaps the default non-sentient level for experience value calculation should be "1" as well. This logic would make our small dog worth 96 exp (again, this is almost "Temper's" exp vale of 126).

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #21 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:36am:
I do not disagree that non-sentients fight at level 4, I only question whether r not it applies to experience calculation.

Level clearly does apply to XP calculation with regards to Solid Energy Illusions which do not earn Experience Points and only default to Level 4. The rules don't suggest any reason not to use the same guidelines for other non-sentient beings when calculating XP.

Your point about the small dog is well taken, but any alternate system for calculating XP you might suggest would be a house rule, not the rulebook guideline.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:42am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Here's some supporting data: The revised rules note the following under the power description for Animated Servants: "All animated servants fight at 4th level of experience, but cannot accumulate experience points."

In other words, regardless of their intelligence, Animated Servants are like non-sentient creatures or solid energy illusions, simply acting at Level 4 even though they do not gain Experience Points.

In the classic era adventure The Great Iridium Con, the villain Malestra has an Animated Servant (a demon). That demon's character sheet stats him as Level 4 (following the rulebook guidelines for Animated Servants), and in the back of the adventure the XP for the demon is calculated using the same formula that is used to calculate XP for character's who are Level 4.

Since Solid Energy Illusions earn no XP, default to Level 4, and are worth XP as though they are Level 4 ... and since Animated Servants earn no XP, default to Level 4, and are worth XP as though they are Level 4 ... animals/creatures who earn no XP, default to Level 4, would in turn be worth XP as though they are Level 4.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:34am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #23 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Or, they may be worth no points at all... 

Understand, I do follow what you are saying here, and I do appreciate the supporting data. I just think it seems odd that if I capture 24 Chihuahuas and take them to the local pound, I'll go from level 1 to level 4. On the other hand, I can use my weather control powers to stop a hurricane from destroying Savannah, and get zero experience. We don't get experience for averting disaster. Actually, our characters are only supposed to gain experience for capturing a villain and taking them to the authorities. Dogs, Hurricanes, and Gorillasaurus are not villains - they are neither good nor evil. This begs the question - Should my character get any exp points at all for capturing those 24 chihuahuas? I don't gain exp for disarming a bomb or finding the impressive artifact even if they are part of an adventure. And is a plague of chihuahuas any less horrible than one big mutated ape?

Animated Solid Illusions are an interesting case - they are always controlled by an entity with an intelligence who is either good or evil, and are thus bound to an intelligence. Malestra's Demon is actually sentient, so he's also a slightly different case, and he is also controlled by an intelligence.

For those RBT's that are actually Animated Servants, Animated Solid Illusions, or even pets- I am with you 100%. Sentient RBT's - again, no question as to how they should be handled. As for non-sentient, non-pet/servant/illusion critters, I am open to input, and I'll sit back and let it pile up a bit. I'm not going to get too wrapped around the axle on this one topic. Not when there are sentient neutral characters out there as well as characters with a dozen powers. I'll read ya'lls' posts and move the best way I can to address concerns. I will also post a "Gorillasaurus" errata sheet later (probably without an EXP value).

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:16am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #24 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:10am:
Dogs, Hurricanes, and Gorillasaurus are not villains - they are neither good nor evil. Animated Solid Illusions are also an interesting case - they are always controlled by an entity with an intelligence who is either good or evil, and are thus bound to an intelligence. Malestra's Demon is actually sentient, so he's also a slightly different case, and he is also controlled by an intelligence.

Gorillasaurus isn't evil? Your character sheet says Side: Evil
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:18am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #25 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Errata sheet.
I was surprised you missed that on the first go around. How can a non-sentient creature be good or evil?

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #26 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:23am:
Errata sheet.
I was surprised you missed that on the first go around. How can a non-sentient creature be good or evil?

I didn't miss it. I assumed you were taking editorial liberty and giving you the benefit of the doubt. Other authors have done as much, for example having a character with Intelligence act as a Neutral; so there would be a precedent to allow a non-sentient to act as Good or Evil.

Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:10am:
Animated Solid Illusions are an interesting case - they are always controlled by an entity with an intelligence who is either good or evil, and are thus bound to an intelligence. Malestra's Demon is actually sentient, so he's also a slightly different case, and he is also controlled by an intelligence.

The consistent point is that opponents that act as Level 4 are worth XP as though they are Level 4.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:34am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #27 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Based on this discussion, I have a profound new respect for dog catchers...

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #28 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:53am:
So far, the only things I don't like about the "Really Big Thing" rules are:

1) It should be noted that the information and rule guidelines presented in this work are not to be considered “Canonical” at this point as they are only in beta test

This is located on the intro page and should be removed.

But it is in beta test...

Display Name wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:53am:
2) I understand that many will not see the need for these rules, or will state that “Giant Monsters” do not belong in V&V since it is about “American Comic books”. In response I will point out the “Giant Monster” in the V&V rule book, as well as the fact that Godzilla and King Kong have both had their own comic books here in the U.S.

This is on page 3 and should also be removed.

I have been told that "Mecha" has no place in V&V because V&V is about American Comic Books, and American comic books do not have mecha. In an attempt to avoid such comments regarding Giant Monsters (who commonly populate Asian comics, Amine, and rubber-suit monster movies) I added this to the beta-test freebie.

When it's not beta test anymore, the word "Experimental" will be removed from the cover, and the two comments above will be removed.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #29 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Giant monsters certainly populate so-called American comics. The Justice League of America formed fighting Starro, and the cover of Fantasic Four #1 features a now-iconic giant monster. The "new" X-Men first rescued the original team in fighting a living island. The first issue of the original series of Alpha Flight pitted the Canadian heroes against  the gigsntoc Tundra. I'm not sure why you would concern yourself with the views of someone under the misimpression these opponents have no place in V&V. The appearance of the giant machine in Death Duel says otherwise.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:04pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #30 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Agreed - I actually made a similar comment in the body of the document, even pointing out that there is a giant monster in VV2.

But Ironman, War Machine, Crimson Dynamo, the Manhunters, Sentinels, and the Doomsday Robot from DDD, H.A.R.M. units from "Mall Madness" (check it out, it's a beauty, eh!), CHESS Knights, and R.I.N.G., are all mecha - I still had to hear about how there is no mecha in V&V or American Comic Books. And that is why I went out of my way to state the obvious in this Experiment.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #31 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Although I can foresee arguments against this method of calculating the experience value of non-sentient RBT (and other critters), I don't think anyone will bring them up, so I'll add that to the rule just for clarification.

Experience value of Non-Sentient adversaries is derived as follows: (Hit points + Power)x8.

I don't think it is really necessary to "Apprehend" Gorilasaurus, or hand him over to the authorities.

Incidentally, Gorillasaurus is worth 2,205,624 exp points - enough to catapult a very lucky level 1 character straight to level 66 - that's a LOT of Chihuahuas.

[see attached pdf]
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:46pm by Ironnerd »  

GOSAUR_RevA.pdf ( 3 KB | 16 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #32 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:46pm:
Although I can foresee arguments against this method of calculating the experience value of non-sentient RBT (and other critters), I don't think anyone will bring them up, so I'll add that to the rule just for clarification.

Experience value of Non-Sentient adversaries is derived as follows: (Hit points + Power)x8.

I don't think it is really necessary to "Apprehend" Gorilasaurus, or hand him over to the authorities.

Incidentally, Gorillasaurus is worth 2,205,624 exp points - enough to catapult a very lucky level 1 character straight to level 66 - that's a LOT of Chihuahuas.

[see attached pdf]

All things considered, Gorillasaurus does have super powers too, making him a notch beyond an ordinary critter.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #33 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
LOL!!! A notch. Maybe two Smiley

While ya'll mull over the basics of my take on RBT's, I'll continue working on "Combiners" - a single RBT made up of several smaller sub-units. The intent is to include it with the next rev of the Freebie. It will also include guidance for handling crowds.

By the way, if you want to use existing counters in "Really Big Scale" print/copy them at 10%. By the time I am ready for the update, I figure I will have talked Yad into making up a few counters.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #34 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 12:32pm:
When the guidelines are out of beta, both of the above statements will be removed.

Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:21am:
When it's not beta test anymore, the word "Experimental" will be removed from the cover, and the two comments above will be removed.[/font]

Cool!  And don't let anyone tell you that Mecha doesn't belong in V&V!  Just tell 'em "Display Name said 'ok'!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools

>